2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

#481 of 1025 Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thank you everyone, I'm doing better today. It was scary and I wasn't mentally prepared for the amount of pain I'd have right after surgery..people really downplayed it ("Oh so-in-so had his gallbladder out and went back to work the next day", etc). I've never felt like I was *suffering* until waking up in recovery. I'm 4 days post op and just starting to get around. :/

Good news is I was able to reschedule my finals and one professor just told me not to worry about it because I'd get an A regardless so that was sweet.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#482 of 1025 Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My stepdad is the kind of person who can take anything and when he had his out he needed help for EVERYTHING.  It was so strange to see that.

#483 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post

I wish some of us could pair up and be roommates to help with bills and childcare. :/

Seriously. The childcare swapping especially! I have tried so hard to make friends that would be reliable sitters even just for an interview. It is near impossible! And married sahms are the most and are so unreliable:/

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#484 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM

I am here. Got support on time this month. Dd had her bday party. She received a ton of gifts and 10 new outfits. Tons of toys plus 100 $ I am saving for a small vacation. Ex is taking them on a Disney cruise this summer. My kids lives are like night and day!

Waiting on letters of reference to apply for jobs I asked 5 people and have only received 1..

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#485 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Tight weekend here, my debit card number was stolen so- while the bank did catch it, it is a hassle getting it sorted out.  I have a tiny bit of cash to use until Mon/Tues then it will be fine.  I need a little milk, and some cheap meals for the weekend, so I'll go get that done and go from there. So glad I learned to make $ streeeeetch when things were tighter than they are now!

Of course, my pantry is 'we just moved in' bare, so I have to buy everything- even staples like flour and pasta.

And, we seem to have a new cat who came with our house.  I suspect the tenants who lived here may have abandoned her when they left. I keep saying we don't need another cat, but she's firmly attached to the property and I am a sucker.  She's been playing all day with my kids on the back deck, so my protests are not exactly being heard.  My 4 year old even went as far as to stick his head in the back door for the sole purpose of saying, "I love her!"

#486 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM

I've been reading but not posting, didn't have anything positive to add until now. Were being evicted because I couldn't afford the rent last month, were supposed to be out yesterday but he gave us till tomorrow morning to get the rest of our stuff out and clean the place. We were facing being homeless and the best I could come up with was camping at the local campground so dd7 could stay in school and have some normalcy. No room in the shelter and with dd13 having an Autism dx the shelter won't take us anyway because they have had really bad experiences with the noise level and chaos in the shelter setting kids like her off. We also don't "fit the profile" of their usual clients, no drug or alcohol issues, I technically have a job even though I haven't been able to work and I have income from SSI. They also seem to think dd7 will qualify for SSI too with her issues. Even had to have a chat with CPS about how I planned to meet the kids needs, I had been terrified they would take my kids for being homeless but they said I have there needs covered even if we lived in a tent and I have a plan to get us back into an actual place so they were not concerned but they did document our situation in case someone reports us which would happen with all the therapists we see and such. oh yeah, dd7 broke her clavicle 10 days ago and todays check up it looks like she's going to need surgery to fix it since its even more dislocated now.

So good things! I managed to get 99% of our stuff in storage (word from the wise, get the full coverage on a uhaul, its worth it! lol, yes, I had to use it), the income based apts 30 min from here called last week and said they would have an opening in June for us, I called them back yesterday and explained that as of tomorrow were homeless. She had me come in and move on to step 2 and we got to see our new apt, they are replacing the carpet right now but we may be able to move in as soon as next Friday! 23rd at the latest. I'm bummed we ended up in that town but at least we will have access to food and services which we don't have here. I had hoped for the city an hour from here. Anyway, girls love the apt, I'm fine with it and its quiet, fairly private and I have a large porch area I can have a container garden:) We can hear the stream from our bedrooms upstairs too:) With a letter with a move in date from the Apts my mom agreed to let us sleep on the floor at her place instead of doing the camping thing. So today I'm just trying to get the last of our stuff out and I'm just freaking exhausted and my brain is totally fried which is slowing me down:(

rainbowasylum likes this.

Seriously?
#487 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh Satori.....I am so glad and relieved for you....I have been thinking about you and your girls this past month and praying hard!!!!
#488 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Satori, that's awesome! Congrats on your new place :)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#489 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM

p

#490 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Satori that is awesome! I had been worried about you & camping with the kiddos.

I'm here, still chugging along. Had a yard sale last weekend & made $225, but $20 of it turned out to be fake. Just what I needed. Working on the electric assistance, working on the taxes. Time to renew for benefits again.

Been selling homeschooling stuff left & right online, and have 2 big local used book sales coming up that I hope I will do good at. I am hoping we can get enough between the 2 local sales, my online sales, and the yard sale money to pay the taxes within the next month or so.

Had a blow to the grocery budget - the local chain that did a freshness policy where I could get a ton of free food ended the policy. I put all our extra bread & milk into the freezer in hopes of making it last as long as possible. IDK what I will do when it all runs out. We get the max of SNAP for 2, but prices here are getting higher & higher and it just doesn't go far enough since most of the cheap stuff is out either due to allergies or because it has pork.

Debating cutting off my net for the summer - not sure yet though. I gotta see where the free lunch / snack summer program locations are this year. Last year it was at the library which worked great, and if it's there again I will cut off my net for a couple months to save some extra. Planning on trying to save for a new or newer PC as soon as I get the taxes paid - this one is getting really really bad.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#491 of 1025 Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We are having a yardsale this next weekend..we live in a tiny 1 bedroom and are very comfortable but it is getting cluttered and tight...so Ian purging but also trying to raise some funds...

Frugalmama I understand about making the most out of the Snap benifits...my girl is 6 and has multible food allergies...we eat a lot of plain hm meals..meat,potato,rice,veggie and fruit...gf pasta 2xs month...boring boring...but it helps stretch...

Hugs...
#492 of 1025 Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am GF/DF and tend to stick with produce most of the time.  Salad is my best friend. I can make salad a million different ways it seems. Since its HOT here not, i dont feel like cooking most nights.

Traditional school lets out in a couple weeks so I've starting makign a list of all the movies and things we are going to need from the library and started ordering them.  I fear a long hot broke summer.

Finally went to DES and got foodstamps again and insurance, waiting to hear about cash assistance.  The lady was saying someting like cash makes your fs amount go down??  does anyone know?  Either way I went to costco yesterday and stocked up on produce, ricemilk and a few other necessitites for the week.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#493 of 1025 Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Satori that is awesome! I had been worried about you & camping with the kiddos.

I'm here, still chugging along. Had a yard sale last weekend & made $225, but $20 of it turned out to be fake. Just what I needed. Working on the electric assistance, working on the taxes. Time to renew for benefits again.

Been selling homeschooling stuff left & right online, and have 2 big local used book sales coming up that I hope I will do good at. I am hoping we can get enough between the 2 local sales, my online sales, and the yard sale money to pay the taxes within the next month or so.

Had a blow to the grocery budget - the local chain that did a freshness policy where I could get a ton of free food ended the policy. I put all our extra bread & milk into the freezer in hopes of making it last as long as possible. IDK what I will do when it all runs out. We get the max of SNAP for 2, but prices here are getting higher & higher and it just doesn't go far enough since most of the cheap stuff is out either due to allergies or because it has pork.

Debating cutting off my net for the summer - not sure yet though. I gotta see where the free lunch / snack summer program locations are this year. Last year it was at the library which worked great, and if it's there again I will cut off my net for a couple months to save some extra. Planning on trying to save for a new or newer PC as soon as I get the taxes paid - this one is getting really really bad.

What exactly do you sell? I would love to resell items and make some extra cash. I just dont know how to get started.

Great news Satori! Hope your new move goes smoothly

I finally reset my password on here so I can type a little bit more in depth and with less typos.

I just got a quote for a textbook and and a study guide for 53$, I will mail them out on monday. I am currently going through my entire house purging and selling items or donating what we don't need.

I am still waiting on my reference letters =/ I have been slow to get everything done application wise but I am really stuck until I get 3 reference letters and cannot complete any applications until then.

My bf and I just made it to 6 months yesterday! We have a lot going on in both our lives and we have discussed moving in together but there are so many things to consider before we make a decision. We have already discussed marriage and everything. He is also the primary custodian of his 2 dd's. He works nearby but lives  40 mins away now so we have decided staying in my area/his work would be ideal eventhough the cost of living is higher than where he is now. Daycare and rental expenses are a lot higher. Right now we are spending about 2000$ a month to maintain 2 homes (just rent/utilities), plus he spends 400-500$a month on gas because he works 6 days a week. We could rent a decent 4 bd room home for about 1200 plus utilities. 

#494 of 1025 Old 05-10-2014, 01:44 PM

I have to give major credit to most of you on this thread.  We've been climbing out of the perpetually broke hole, and while we have still had to be careful, it wasn't until the past few days when I have had no access to my bank account that I have had to live with truly worrying about getting food in little tummies. It is so easy to become removed from that when situations improve, it has been good to have years of experience stretching a grocery budget to lean on.

We are eating less than healthy options for a few days, but the kids aren't going to bed hungry.

You mamas who juggle more than most of us do all the time rock.

#495 of 1025 Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to say its officially may 12th and i have no money, only food stamps until the end of the month.  car has gas tho'.  i so hate this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#496 of 1025 Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

About the same boat.  Husband gets paid on 15th but it is already spent for bills and gas for his car.  And with the heat I am nervous for next months bill as AC is on.

#497 of 1025 Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Looks like the new month is not too bad bad yet for us. Everyone seems to be doing all right ans managing the crises as they arise. I'm glad you all are OK. We are still chugging along. Nothing big one way or the other. Bills are mostly paid. Kids are mostly healthy. That's all we can ask for right? I'm totally not living the dream but it'll do. Weather is lovely. We have lots of hand me downs that are working out. We'll get by.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#498 of 1025 Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Man I wish I could find someone to get hand me downs from for my oldest, that would be a load off my mind! HMDs are awesome!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#499 of 1025 Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Per Diem salvation to get through until payday.  It isn't a lot as dh and I split it 50/50 but I have food in the house!!! And gas in the car. 

I can breathe a sigh of relief.

#500 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Mamabear I still buy clothing for my oldest of course but obviously her stuff gets handed down to her sisters which helps out a lot when there are three kids. And my cousin is 8 so she hands down to my youngest too. Best dressed kid in town. Lol. And if i get desperate, my complex takes donations from everyone in the complex of clothing and there's always free clothing in the office. There's usually free books too. I love that!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#501 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Glad to see we are all hanging in there, even if things are tight. Tight here too, but hopefully will be better soon.

On the hand-me-down front, we don't get any most of the time either - no family nearby & no friends with girls above DD. Sometimes I get some for her at the local Blessings bash on of the homeschool groups puts on twice a year, but it's iffy. Mostly I just try to hit thrift shops & yard sales. Sometimes I find stuff at the goodwill clearance center - clothes there can be as low as .25 if you go on the right day. Once in a while I score something on thredup cheap. I put my referral link out online in a bunch of places & every so often I get a credit from that. The person ordering gets $10 or so off their 1st order, so not too bad. Right now I'm taking advantage of a cool day & sorting through dd's clothes to see what fits & what doesn't, and then this weekend I'll try to go through the too-bigs to get an idea what we need. Shoes are the hardest for me - dd is hard on shoes because she walks a lot on account of us using the bus. So cheap shoes don't last at all. I try to buy used when I can, but it's getting harder as her feet get bigger.

Someone {BabyBird maybe?} asked what I sell online. I sell all kinds of stuff - small appliances, toys, books, clothing - whatever I can turn a profit on.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#502 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Poor dh badly sprained his ankle. Thankgoodness for the combo of ins, workman comp and sick leave. He is home at least today but has to go to the dr for a post accident drug test and follow up care. His boss is trying to keep him in his same dept just as mgmt, troubleshooting for the guys who works under him. We will see. Im pretty sure hes getting crutches today. On the plus side his job is pretty good at finding work for people on light duty so he will be out this week at most. He has to wear a restrictive brace for six weeks though.

The weather has turned damp and dreary. A great day for movies and cuddles. I told dh we could splurge on pizza if he wants, lol, since hes pretty miserable but being a trooper.
#503 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Unplanned expense this week to get my cat neutered.  Well, not really unplanned, but I had wanted to wait another month or so.  But we have a cat who was living here already when we moved in (female) and I don't want him getting any foolishly tomcat like ideas.  So he goes off on Thursday for that.

#504 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Still here, reading and giving mental support to each of you.
My dh, who is 46, is having open heart surgery for valve replacement within the next couple of weeks.
#505 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

went to the dr today, thankful i got to DES last week and we have insurance.  I am hurt much more badly than I had originally thought.  had urgent care, labs and radiology.  will need regular dr asap and who knows what else. plus i just refilled ALL our rx to the tune of almost 2k.  I am very thankful for state insurance. (i didnt like jumping thru hoops but today was a $$ day for medical)  i also secheduled DS dental and he needs fillings fro 6 mos ago that is covered as well and $$$

hugs to you moma3boys.

#506 of 1025 Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Well, ElderSon, in Texas, is about to have a daycare crisis. He will be out of town for 2-3 weeks, training for his new job. His wife works full time, and school is just getting out for the Grand-Dumplings, 5 & 7. Daycare would cost $1200 for that time, and doesn't start early enough for her to drop them off, and still get to work. So, devoted Grandma that I am, I am flying out to babysit for about 2 weeks. Plane ticket is only $200 (we are splitting it, as neither can afford it alone), and I have bucket loads of vacation time saved up. But I truly hate hot weather. Also, I don't know if I remember how to amuse 5 & 7 year olds. It has been a while!

So, to get to the point of all this: I would welcome activity ideas that are cheap, and easy to carry if I need to bring stuff with me. I would be happy to search thrift stores, either in advance, or with the Dumplings after I arrive (I will have use of a car), for materials or whatever.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#507 of 1025 Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 AM

mamarhu- your ds is lucky to have you! Daycare is insanely expensive. Wild to think you flying down is cheaper than daycare.

Question: Does anyone know if you can get government medical as a supplement if your kids already have insurance through the other parent? I am mostly wanting to get my kiddos dental benefits, my ds is almost 8 and has only been to a dentist 1 time and dd has never been. The last thing I want to do is pass down a legacy of bad dental habits to my kiddos!

I am in the process of applying for a work at home job. It is part time, but honestly at the rate I am getting my reference letters back for school/teaching positions, I have to start planning a plan B. FWIW, I would actually prefer a work at home job because I would save so much on commuting etc, and I could work hours ds is in school and dd could go to preschool. 

#508 of 1025 Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 AM

I would plug in your numbers to healthcare.gov and get a quote for just dental but I don't think you can sign up again until November.  Or you could go through a broker for a quote.  Or start watching groupon or living social.  They have a lot of deals with dentists. 

#509 of 1025 Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Babybird- do you have any universities or dental schools near you? Some provide free checkups done by student dentists. They also offer discounted treatments if needed. It's an option if you don't have insurance and can't afford it.

#510 of 1025 Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

mamarhu-   5-7 yr old.... well im assuming you are watchign them at the house? so they should have things to do??  crafts, water play cuz its going to be hot, either an apartment pool or a sprinkler in the yard,  lots of DVD's from the library, books to read,  things like that.   You shouldn't need to provide anything.  *most* 5-7 yr old have more toys and crafts than they know what to with.

crayons, markers, paper, paints,  can keep a kid busy for hours.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page