2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2 3  4  12  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > 2014 Low Income Support Thread
ILoveMyBabyBird's Avatar ILoveMyBabyBird 07:12 AM 01-02-2014
Happy new year everyone!

I was pretty active on the 2013 thread until fall semester began but I hope to stay more active now.

In a nut shell. I live off spousal and child support. My spousal support ends in October which is over half my income. I am back in college getting my restricted teaching license which is going well. I am enrolled in one class for spring and plan to start searching for a teaching position beginning this month for next fall.

I have 2 kiddos D's 7.5 and dd 2.5

I work a side job on Sundays at a church that brings in 20$ a week.

I am going full on cheap mode. Since my divorce my debt has gone from 5000 to nearly 12000 in a year. Most of the new debt is from college but I want to pay down as much as I can in preparation for the loss of my spousal support. My savings has dwindled drastically in the past year. I used to have 2 months living expenses in savings now I have enough to cover rent for the first @895/month plus a few hundred extra. I call it my 10 day savings. Exdh is usually a few days late with support every month so I have enough to get me through that first week or so expecting him to be late.

Gratefuls:
I have an interview next Tuesday! The job is very part-time at 14 hours a week but the hours are great so that Ds wouldn't need a sitter only maybe dd as there is a chance I could take dd with me. And it is 14.25$ an hour!!! Wish me luck. It would be great for my situation right now.

I have been dating a really great man the past couple months. We are not able to go out or see each other often but he gets me and respects me and we seem to be a great match.

Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat 01:36 PM 01-02-2014

Greetings and happy new years!

I am a mama of two with DH. I was laid off last May and I have been on unemployment until the middle of December. I bake bread and pretzels for a local coffee shop and work a couple hours a week there, then spend my days baking, cooking, writing, and taking care of my youngest, DD. DS is in school and goes to an afterschool program that costs $40/mo. Since he loves it and it makes it easier for me to get things done, we are planning on leaving him there. DD goes to a preschool twice a week for a few hours, which also costs us $40/mo. Again, the time off from childcare is invaluable to me, so we are leaving that there.

Last March I signed a contract for a toddler book, which will be published as soon as the illustrations are done. The first of December, I signed a contract for a cookbook, which I need to finish the manuscript for, then there will be layout, photos, etc. So I'm looking at next December for publication of that.

I am planning on working towards more freelance writing work, which means I need to tighten up my portfolio, etc. Since I write everything from business letters and resumes, to personalized children's stories, to fiction, this will be interesting. I'm going to be writing up some samples, applying for writing jobs, and submitting stuff for contests, while finishing up the cookbook, getting photos done, keeping up the house & cooking, and taking care of the kids.

I've got a spreadsheet that functions as a budget and tracks our income/spending. I have Christmas money in a savings account that will distribute periodically into our spending account. DH is working on getting a better paying position in his current job, as well as keeping his eyes open for a better job. We track our finances on mint.com and I review all budgets and bills every week. We spent way too much on food last month, as we were traveling (eating out) and doing holidays, etc. Usually we keep our food spending at around $300/mo to eat very well. We will probably spend a little over on food this month, as we are doing some stock-up and there is a birthday this month.

I have a credit card with a $500 limit that we pay on every two weeks. I use the card for hotels when we travel and for certain regular expenses to benefit from the cash-back rewards. I may re-evaluate that to see if we are getting an adequate ROI to continue that.

I am dropping a few expenses this year, including some website stuff that isn't providing the income it should, and dropping down our Netflix subscription. That is kinda sad, cuz there are some shows we really like that we can only get on disc, but the money issue is more important. If things continue to be tight, I will have to drop my phone from a data plan to a regular plan, which we can only consider cuz my parents gave us a box of their old cell phones. Otherwise, I would have to buy a phone, which would negate the savings. Since our cell phones are our only phone-contact, we do need them.

I'm open to other suggestions from the awesome group here (I've followed for years, but don't post much bag.gif).

averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 05:08 AM 01-03-2014

I am in a bad spot. Not depressed per say just very sad right now. All the bills are piling up on me and I have to figure out a way to get it all done. IRS,taxes, my van has a transmission leak, my tires have wire showing. I am cleaning out my house and getting rid of all the crap around that can be sold that I don't need anymore so hoping to get a bit of $$ with that. Haven't worked in 2 months mostly with all the holidays and stuff but hoping to go back next week since we should be back to working. Applying for another job right now also. On top of it all my cousins 17 yo daughter was killed in a accident last night and that has me really sad this morning.

I hope things get better for us all!

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 11:25 AM 01-03-2014

hugs to averysmomma

Sativarain1's Avatar Sativarain1 12:28 AM 01-04-2014

:Hugfor you Averysmomma, sorry for your loss.

kay4's Avatar kay4 06:25 PM 01-04-2014
Hi everyone. I read the 2013 thread faithfully but never posted. I have learned a lot on this forum even tho I rarely post. I am Kelly, single mom to 5. My oldest is married so I have 4 at home. I just moved into our own apartment, my marriage home is in foreclosure. It feels wonderful to be in my own place for the first time. (I got married at 18 and was married 18 years never been on my own) I work at 7-11 almost full time (as many hours as j can get at barely above min wage. I get a tiny bit of alimony and most of my ordered child support. Most days I just plug in and do what I gotta do but others I am angry at my ex. When my kids ask why I have to work so much. See, I am court ordered to receive $2900 a month. The army (my ex is retired) will only garnish 50% so I get half that. I get pissed when I think of the fact that I could be a sahm still but I try to stay out if that mindset. I hope to be an active part of this thread this year smile.gif
justmama's Avatar justmama 08:17 PM 01-04-2014
Just checking in. I'll respond more personally when I have time. I'm on my phone. That massive winter storm hit us and due to landlord negligence, our heart and power were knocked out and we had a power surge that wiped out my oven and all my electronics. No internet, no dvd player, no tv capability, no iPod dock/radio. It's just so heartbreaking. The heat and power are back fortunately because it's been below zero. But no oven for at least a week is a serious problem in this house. I'm applying for emergency housing for inadequate housing reasons at the local affordable housing place but we'll have to rehome our cats and that breaks my heart. But this place has serious leak issues, rotten wood, electrical stuff not up to code, etc. Im at my wits end here and don't know what to do. The move would save us $300+ per month. I'm devastated. I just don't want to get rid of my babies and there's no one to take them for six months and give them back after we find another place. No pets are allowed in this complex. :-( I've just cried so much about this lately that I'm a mess.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 09:13 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Just checking in. I'll respond more personally when I have time. I'm on my phone. That massive winter storm hit us and due to landlord negligence, our heart and power were knocked out and we had a power surge that wiped out my oven and all my electronics. No internet, no dvd player, no tv capability, no iPod dock/radio. It's just so heartbreaking. The heat and power are back fortunately because it's been below zero. But no oven for at least a week is a serious problem in this house. I'm applying for emergency housing for inadequate housing reasons at the local affordable housing place but we'll have to rehome our cats and that breaks my heart. But this place has serious leak issues, rotten wood, electrical stuff not up to code, etc. Im at my wits end here and don't know what to do. The move would save us $300+ per month. I'm devastated. I just don't want to get rid of my babies and there's no one to take them for six months and give them back after we find another place. No pets are allowed in this complex. :-( I've just cried so much about this lately that I'm a mess.

Oh Justmama I'm so sorry!

Have your tried calling some of the foster/ rescue groups? Maybe they can find you a foster or someone willing to adopt them? I would take them if I lived closer, but TX is a long ways from you.

averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 01:43 PM 01-05-2014

Thanks for the hugs guys. It actually got worse. Same day we found out my moms best friend who was like my 2nd mother was found murdered by her bf. On top of that this morning my husbands aunt died. Guess it doesn't end. Thank goodness we had a extra $100 in checking since we will be driving 3 hrs to my moms friends funeral sometime this week when the investigation is done and autopsy so that she can be buried. Sigh.

averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 01:46 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I am sorry! I would be upset too. I can only imagine. Our house we are own isn't the best but that is a main reason I won't move because of my cat and dog.  I hope things look up for you!

kay4's Avatar kay4 04:56 PM 01-05-2014
I am sorry about your pets justmama
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 03:49 PM 01-07-2014
Justmama, are there any friends or relatives to help you out? Im sorry. Averysmom I will pray for peace for you and all your loved ones. Hugs to all my hurting mamas.

As far here we are a bit stir crazy but otherwise hanging in there. Our chest freezer is bare so we decided now was a great time to air it out and clean it. Hopefully with taxes we can do a nice grocery stockup and refill it. And now that we are doing slightly better financially I hope to go all out with u pick farms come summer. Hubby was home yesterday but they plan to work fri this week to make up for it. I need to do some baking and I will probably cook up a couple batches of soup tonight but otherwise another uneventful day here. Oh oh, I was able to finally purchase a china hutch! I have been wanting one for about a yr now for my wizad of oz collection. I was able to score a used one, in fair condition, for 35 dollars. If all goes as planned I should get it Thurs. My couch and loveseat are falling apart slowly and I was really hoping for a dryer this yr, but Im chugging along with what weve got.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 03:50 PM 01-07-2014
Didnt get to hit the goodwill outlet bc of the storm but we plan to in the spring.
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 07:23 PM 01-07-2014

been in the hospital.  IV antibiotics.  still sick and very tired. but home with regular prescription abx.  not working this week obviously.  have one day scheduled next week.

cellulitis sux.

im even too tired to crochet.

did manage some GF pancaked with blueberries for dinner.

averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 06:22 AM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Justmama, are there any friends or relatives to help you out? Im sorry. Averysmom I will pray for peace for you and all your loved ones. Hugs to all my hurting mamas.

As far here we are a bit stir crazy but otherwise hanging in there. Our chest freezer is bare so we decided now was a great time to air it out and clean it. Hopefully with taxes we can do a nice grocery stockup and refill it. And now that we are doing slightly better financially I hope to go all out with u pick farms come summer. Hubby was home yesterday but they plan to work fri this week to make up for it. I need to do some baking and I will probably cook up a couple batches of soup tonight but otherwise another uneventful day here. Oh oh, I was able to finally purchase a china hutch! I have been wanting one for about a yr now for my wizad of oz collection. I was able to score a used one, in fair condition, for 35 dollars. If all goes as planned I should get it Thurs. My couch and loveseat are falling apart slowly and I was really hoping for a dryer this yr, but Im chugging along with what weve got.

Thanks Happyhats! I am in a much better spot.

Not much here to update just making it day by day. Money is tight right now with all the driving we are doing to funerals and things. It will hopefully get better after this week. I am up early washing some clothes since we are driving 2 hrs to my husbands aunts funeral. My van is acting crazy so we are driving hubbys car. Should be a adventure smashing 3 car seats in back again. Planning to take the kids out to lunch at their favorite place. We can feed all 5 of us for around $20 so not to bad. Hope everyone is okay in this weather!

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 11:06 AM 01-08-2014

HI- I need to whine for a bit.  Maybe you can understand.  I've been sick.  Like in the hosptial sick.  Now im home and im wiped out, exhausted, tired, mentallly and physicaly.  I dont have the energy or the stregnth to do anything.  Laundry-well gotta rest after that, dishes- you are kidding me right?   all I had was a non-contagious skin infection.  

But to be honest, I've been struggling with health issues since december when some things happened and it took me the better part of december to recover from those.

I hate being so tired.. exhausted.   I live in the one part of the country that isn't buried in snow or frozen solid and I'm spending my time on the sofa under blankets. crying.

I have 2 days of teaching next week.  i havent worked since the end of sept.  i need to get my act together here and fast.

justmama's Avatar justmama 12:13 PM 01-08-2014

Thanks for the love everyone.  Got heat and electricity back.  I've decided that I'm going to be taking the $226 cost of my replacement electronics off my rent.  Screw him.  Take it out of my security deposit if it pisses you off that much.  I'm hoping to get out of here in a few weeks.  I should know abotu the affordable housing complex by the end of the week.  I have a friend up the street whose mom might be able to take my little furry boys.  I told her I would pay the $10 per month increase in her rent for the year to be allowed to have pets.  $120 is nothing compared to what I'm saving in one month just by moving out of here into a safer and cheaper place and I don't need to pay a security deposit when I move in there.  Plus my boys will be safe, happy, and together there.  

It's been COLD here.  Below *ero every day.  The kids are troopers.  When we walk to the bus stop in the mornings, they are all bundled up and our faces hurt but no one complains thankfully.  I feel awful for people who don't have warmth.  The cold HURTS.

Hours have gone down a lot at work because it's after the holidays.  Sales are down.  It's awful.  So I'm broke again.  Because my oven was out for the last week, I have had much higher food costs so that wasn't helping the situation much and then my winter boots cracked from the sole all the way across the top of the foot to the other side of the sole.  I suppose I should be thankful they've lasted 7 1/2 years but.....I have to go buy new ones today.  You can't go outside here in below *ero temps with a foot of snow on the ground without boots.  Borrowing from my mom until I buy new ones. 

Gratefuls:

-had the opportunity to pay it forward this week.  Bought Dunkin Donuts for the car behind me.  It cost me less than $3 and it felt good to be the giver for once.

-my knitting skills.  Once again they have saved me.  I have a basket full of yarn(most of which I did trades for on DiaperSwappers over the years or the yarn was gifted to me or picked up at yard sales) and a kid needing a warm cowl and some little girls I watch without hats or mittens.  Yarn to the rescue.  Feels good to be the giver.

-health insurance.  I know I've said it before but good gravy am I loving it.  Found out my oldest has mild scoliosis yesterday.  My middle one has ringworm and I have to get her an appt today to get seen.  I don't know what we would do without health insurance.  Just the meds themselves.  Wow!

-oldest child is on the growth charts for the first time in YEARS.  I'm so excited.  She made a major leap and she's at the 6th percentile.  91.6lbs at 13years old and a half inch taller than I am.  I'm really proud of her for keeping an eye on her food intake and getting her weight up.  

-my sister is a vet tech in Maine several hours north of me but she going to see if she can advertise my cats to her clients to see if she can get them adopted out, even as barn cats.  That's how I acquired them anyway.  They are both former ferals, the older one was actually a barn cat from Maine.  

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 12:25 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

HI- I need to whine for a bit.  Maybe you can understand.  I've been sick.  Like in the hosptial sick.  Now im home and im wiped out, exhausted, tired, mentallly and physicaly.  I dont have the energy or the stregnth to do anything.  Laundry-well gotta rest after that, dishes- you are kidding me right?   all I had was a non-contagious skin infection.  

But to be honest, I've been struggling with health issues since december when some things happened and it took me the better part of december to recover from those.

I hate being so tired.. exhausted.   I live in the one part of the country that isn't buried in snow or frozen solid and I'm spending my time on the sofa under blankets. crying.

I have 2 days of teaching next week.  i havent worked since the end of sept.  i need to get my act together here and fast.

Totally understand. Whine away!

I'm the same way right now and all I had was a bad cold on top of my normal health issues. Still dealing with the cold too - can't seem to knock it. I think the last 4 days I've slept about 20 hours out of every 24. My house is a pigsty {thank you DD!}, I have a ton of laundry to do {but I can only do maybe 2 loads a day max or the house floods}, and I desperately need to grocery shop but I just don't have the energy to get there & back on the bus. I need to list a bunch of ebay stuff, but just the thought of it makes me want to crawl back in bed. I was taking Vit. D & B12 & it was helping with my energy issues before I got sick, but apparently I'm allergic to them & the rash isn't worth having energy.

And mentally I'm fried. I actually was debating trying therapy, but then remembered how much I detest talking with strangers & how hard it would be to find a therapist who understands all my personal & religious issues. Not to mention I really don't like therapists after a bad experience as a kid with one. Oh and then I'd have to find a babysitter too.....

Backroads's Avatar Backroads 01:12 PM 01-08-2014

Observed the old thread of 2013, never posted as it was huge.

I am a mom of a lovely 9-month-old girl.  I quit my job to stay home with her after she was born (and she wound up being a miserable little baby, so that was for the best).  We are still waiting for Husband to find a better-paying job. He graduated last spring with his bachelors in Geology and we're still looking.  He is currently making 10$ an hour plus his army reserves pay.  We're not elligible for any programs save WIC due to the money we have in savings.  We've considered me going back to work, but unless I can get into a teaching job I doubt I would make enough to make the daycare expense worth it.

Gratefuls:

My wealthy grandmother has a basement that is pretty much a self-sufficient apartment.  She's getting along in years and loves having grandkids staying down there.  We are the current residential grandkids and the rent is free!

We have about 9000$ in savings and we are able to make all our monthly payments!

Baby girl is doing much better.

Amandala's Avatar Amandala 02:28 PM 01-08-2014

Hi there everyone.  I just have a small question, I hope this is an okay place to put it.

I just got approved for SNAP and Medicaid here in New Jersey. First time applying for any type of public assistance in my life and it's been, well, boatloads of fun.  Applied in October and apparently was approved October 13th, but just got my Medicaid cards in the mail after the new year, and still have received nothing in the mail about the SNAP.  I thought oh, maybe it just takes 6-8 weeks or something, but I went down there today and found out that I have had SNAP since October and they didn't bother to tell me about it, the benefits have been racking up.  At least I get to use them now but I really could have used them the past three months - I got laid off just after I applied for them.  Still no idea who my 'caseworker' is... apparently I'm supposed to get something telling me that in the mail... someday.

Here comes my question.  When I applied, the lady who took my application was running down the things I could apply for, and she said something like, "...you have a job, so you won't qualify for Cash Assistance, ..." but now I don't have a job anymore, so...

...anyone have any experience with this in Newark, NJ and know how I can get them to give me this Cash Assistance too, now?

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 06:31 PM 01-08-2014
I just cannot seem to keep groceries in the house lately. We arent going hungry or anything but it already looks bare and we just shopped like a week ago, wtf?
Mylie's Avatar Mylie 08:11 PM 01-08-2014

Well my dad passed away last Saturday...Today was his funeral...I am emotionally drained...I have been staying here with my parents since Dad got released from the hospital the week before Christmas...Me and my mom took care of dad with a little help from hospice...I am going home tommorow or Friday...I am ready...L is ready...I hope my mom does okay...

I am hoping I have more in my pantry and freezer than I remember because I spent all this months snap benifits already..and my card just got filled on the 21st...But I was also feeding mom and sometimes dad too...plus extras when they were over...I am not complaining at all..I wouldn't change a thing how everything went down...I am just a little worried about not having enough until next fillup which isn't until the 21st...

Since I have missed so much class due to L being sick and with dad's cancer and taking care of him and then missing again because of funeral stuff I don't think I am going to be keeping my job after this term..Which means I will be looking for another job soon...I hate this crap...I wouldn't change it at all..it was an honor to be the one to be with my dad till the end...just not having a job stresses me out big time...I have rent and stuff....it won't pay itself....I am going to check into a job that was offered to me last year that I turned down due to taking the current job...

I hope everyone is doing okay..I haven't been on much...I just want to sleep all the time anymore....This crazy/cold weather isn't helping either...

My gratefuls...

My dad isn't in pain anymore..

I have heat is this crazy -26 weather we have had the last several days...

I have the sweetest little 6 year old girl who makes it all worth while...

A place to go when I need to "talk"...

LoveOurBabies's Avatar LoveOurBabies 08:17 PM 01-08-2014

Mylie, I'm so so sorry darling. mecry.gif:(

I lost my dad 7 years ago and it still feels like yesterday. I wish you lots of strength and healing. xxx :hug 

LoveOurBabies's Avatar LoveOurBabies 08:25 PM 01-08-2014

I'm just checking in. We're still in the same boat but trying to not let it get us down. DH is looking for work with no luck. On top of that we're expecting another little one in July, so the space issue is worrying me right now. The house is already tight as is and there is no way we can move anywhere else. Our bedroom barely fits our bed and our bed barely fits three people.. so my toddler DS will have to share a bed with his 5yo sister or move into the lounge room. rolleyes.gif

Gratefuls:

We still have each other

We still have a home, no matter how tiny it is

We could be in a much worse position

Our families who are helping us to get by, by sending food, food vouchers etc (food is our biggest money black hole)

My mom growing veggies for me in pots which I'll be transferring to the garden in due time

LoveOurBabies's Avatar LoveOurBabies 08:31 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:

Zebra, I'm so sorry you're unwell :( I know that feeling all too well and it absolutely sucks. Been suffering from chronic fatigue, depression and migraines for years now and it takes a toll. Is there anyone that can help you out? Have you had your thyroid/vitamin D checked? 

rainbowasylum's Avatar rainbowasylum 11:13 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

I just cannot seem to keep groceries in the house lately. We arent going hungry or anything but it already looks bare and we just shopped like a week ago, wtf?

We have that going on here as well- it's crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post

Well my dad passed away last Saturday...Today was his funeral...I am emotionally drained...I have been staying here with my parents since Dad got released from the hospital the week before Christmas...Me and my mom took care of dad with a little help from hospice...I am going home tommorow or Friday...I am ready...L is ready...I hope my mom does okay...

I am so sorry for your loss, but glad he was able to spend time home through hospice care.  

AFM, we are coming out the other side of a lovely bout with H1N1 flu.  The house is a wreck, but we'll eventually fix that. Funny how a few days of being sick turn everything upside down. 

Fingers crossed, there may be a light at the end of the financial tunnel over the next couple weeks.  It will all need to be set aside for housing, but I might be able to eke out enough to stock the pantry finally the way I would like. Trying not to get my hopes up too much as it could still go sideways, but we'll see. 

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 03:19 PM 01-09-2014
Ugh. I just feel like our budget is a mess and Im holding on for taxes. We wont get a large refund but it will be enough to pay down some debts and either stock up the pantry or throw some in savings. Chicken and dumplings for dinner, leftovers for lunch. Getting ready to bake breakfasts for the rest of the week and write a list for a tiny grocery run tomorrow.
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 12:05 AM 01-10-2014

Back to the ER tonight.  I need to accept that I am sick.  there is nothing i can do abotu it right now and I need to let the d'rs take care of me.

i wont put all the gross details.  i have an appt with my dr tomorrow.  i am so exhausted.  this infrection is awful. its not contagious but its kicking every inch of my body.

LoveOurBabies's Avatar LoveOurBabies 02:01 AM 01-10-2014
Quote:

Back to the ER tonight.  I need to accept that I am sick.  there is nothing i can do abotu it right now and I need to let the d'rs take care of me.

i wont put all the gross details.  i have an appt with my dr tomorrow.  i am so exhausted.  this infrection is awful. its not contagious but its kicking every inch of my body.

:Hug

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 07:48 PM 01-10-2014
Zebra. Take care of your healty. That must come first.

As for us, thank goodness for soup weather.
Tags: Frugality , Finances
1  2 3  4  12  ... Last

Up