2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 23 - Mothering Forums
First ... 13  21  22  23 24  25  33  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > 2014 Low Income Support Thread
kindofcrunchy82's Avatar kindofcrunchy82 07:32 AM 07-01-2014
I used to be a couponing queen before I had dd. Once I had her and went to 2 kiddos and then my marriage fell apart I never got my couponing mojo back. I was one of those people with stockpiles and could have been on that extreme couponing show lol. I really need to get that mojo back though. I bought a paper this sunday. I am going to start out slow, but I need to get my spending down to 30-40$ a week. Eating is about the only expense I think I could trim down and even that isn't going to be much. We eat out maybe 1 time a week and my grocery budget is about 250$ a month as it is.

crazyms's Avatar crazyms 08:49 AM 07-01-2014
frugalmama - good luck hunting up sweaters. I really hope your ebay stuff starts selling soon!

rhu - Good luck on the training. It sounds like a perfect job for you. It really does make a difference when you can enjoy your job.

bren - Childcare is outrageous. It really depends on how much you need to supplement his income and if you can do any little work without the baby. In the past I've done mystery shopping, in store demos, call rep, and a few other little side things to earn a little money.

berea - Waldorf homeschooling is a great idea and it doesn't have to be expensive. We also aim for waldorf toys and environment at home but haven't spent a ton on it. Baskets at thrift stores for storing toys are great and the kid(s) can put nature things in them too to play with like rocks and pinecones. I love etsy for finding wooden toys cheap. I usually buy them there unstained and paint them myself. I bought our playsilks at dharma trading and dyed them at home with koolaid. The most expensive thing I've found was the playstands and doll but playstands aren't necessary and could be faked with a couple of the cheap $20 - 3 shelf bookcase at walmart (that's what we did lol) and magic cabin has some nice cloth dolls pretty cheap. Maybe not "the" waldorf dolls but very similar. They're great about coupons and such too if you sign up for their emails.

frugalmama - great idea to get the amazon gc's to save for the ac. Have you tried swagbucks? I need to get back into it but I was earning at least one $5 gc a month there for a while just using the browser and little codes they have.

kindofcrunchy - The debt sucks! Just keep hacking away at it and you'll get there. Each little payment you get rid of helps you get the others down quickly. Not sure what debt you have but we had a lot of medical bills and I was able to talk to the people about how many we had and most were willing to accept small $10/mo type payments while I made bigger payments on the smaller bills so I had less to pay on and could pay them more. They were usually understanding if I was honest with them and trying to pay them. Maybe you could work something out with your debts to help you.

Mylie - Yes!!! My family isn't always the most supportive and I hate where I live! Yet anytime I talk about wanting to move they start the guilt trip... but you'd leave us! Ugh!!

Well with our big change here dh is leaving us for 3 weeks on Thurs before he'll be on his new normal 14/7. With ds's bday just passing we spent the gas money and rode to the coast (about 2 hrs) for the day. Let the kids play on the beach for the day swimming and hunting seashells and splurged for a little fast food dinner on the way home. Didn't spend much but had a blast! They loved it. I'm glad to be able to relax a little on the money now but I know these things don't always last so I'm trying hard to shuffle everything and figure out how best to spend the money. I really want to pay off somethings and also buy some of the stuff we want/need that we haven't had the money for in so long. (All those nice crunchy purchases that cost but would save us in the long run... family cloth/bidet, mama cup for me, reusable bottles, etc.)

Gratefuls:
~ Dh's new job that will finally take the massive anxiety over money out of my life for a bit.
~ Free day at the beach with the kids for ds's bday.
~A friend just gave us bikes for free! I know it's one adult mtn bike but not sure about the other(s). If it's two adult bikes then dh and I both will have bikes now so we can take the whole family riding!
~
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 08:55 AM 07-01-2014
What about the food ministry programs? We used to do angel food ministries before it shut down but there are others like Bountiful Baskets that you can do. Just google 'food ministry program' and it'll turn up results. If there is a pick up location near you anyone can order and most accept food stamps if you have them. They run about $40 for a large package that is enough food for about 2 weeks with a few supplements if you're careful. We actually managed to feed a family of 4 (while I was preggo with the littlest) when dh got laid off for about $150/mo!! I would buy two of the large packages from there plus the veggie box then just supplement with some staples and a few things to stretch the food.
kindofcrunchy82's Avatar kindofcrunchy82 10:34 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
What about the food ministry programs? We used to do angel food ministries before it shut down but there are others like Bountiful Baskets that you can do. Just google 'food ministry program' and it'll turn up results. If there is a pick up location near you anyone can order and most accept food stamps if you have them. They run about $40 for a large package that is enough food for about 2 weeks with a few supplements if you're careful. We actually managed to feed a family of 4 (while I was preggo with the littlest) when dh got laid off for about $150/mo!! I would buy two of the large packages from there plus the veggie box then just supplement with some staples and a few things to stretch the food.
I have found an interesting program near me. It is 5$ to start and then for the duration of the program you either pay 3$ or donate an hour to work the ministry and you have to meet once a month for 2 hours to work on your bettering yourself. It seems like a decent program but I haven't signed up yet. I wouldn't mind working the program but it all depends on when etc, I have 2 kids and working a real job is hard enough, may be better to pay the 3$. I think I will go ahead and email about the program. My dd still drinks milk like crazy, sometimes going through 2 gallons a week. Ds drinks almond milk and that is about 2.50-3.00 a week, so my weekly budget is about 10-12$ in milk alone =/
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 01:33 PM 07-01-2014
I looked up food ministries in my area with little luck. There is one with food boxes about two hrs away but I didnt think the prices were stellar. Zaycon has potential but currently sams and costco have better meat prices.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 04:54 PM 07-01-2014
It can be difficult to find one. I searched a while for one and almost gave up. Bountiful Baskets is the only one that has one in my area. If there aren't any in the area usually a church or something will open a spot for it. I was able to call some churches to see if anyone would set one up when I found the Bountiful Baskets here.

kindofcrunchy - Are either of your children young enough for WIC? Here you can get it for children up until their 6th birthday. It's regular cow's milk so wouldn't work for your DS but might help lower the milk budget with DD. We have the same issue here. DS and little DD can drink any milk but my oldest DD can't have any cow's milk products. That alone raises the budget a lot! I have been able to find coupons at times for the Rice Dream milk and stock up on it when I do so we can use it to cook or for cereal and such. She only drinks almond and I've found a few coupons for the Almond Dream brand on occasion too.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 12:03 AM 07-02-2014
Im excited about aldis produce prices this week! Blueberries 99 cents a pint, strawberries 1.29, and cherries 1.99! If they have limits, which happens occasionally with great prices,my sister and I made plans to revisit the blueberry patch sat.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 12:19 AM 07-02-2014
Great prices on the fruit! I'm going to pick up a few things tomorrow before dh leaves us then I'm going to aim for some pantry clean out this month. I really need to get on a better track with cooking from scratch again. It's been such a downer since moving here without an oven. I never realized how much I used the thing until I no longer had one!
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 12:28 PM 07-02-2014
So far todays shaping up to be a good day. Its a lot cooler than its been all week which means ac can go off, and Im happy because I have a few things to cook in the oven tonight (chicken and rice casserole, blueberry banana bread). Picked a few flowers from out back. Im hoping to walk a few blocks over to pick up some homeschool vhs and games I found for free. Oh, and another awesome thing-hubby came home with a rack of ribs his co worker gave him! Bbq on the fourth for sure!
Mylie's Avatar Mylie 01:21 PM 07-02-2014
Excuse me while I freak out just a little bit

Unemployment had done it again...They messed up and now my payment is going to be late...Way late...Rent is due and I needed that money...I have a call in for some help but I don't know...I am having heart palpitations because it scares me to death to not feel secure in my own home after being homeless for 7 months...Please pray or whatever good thoughts you have that it will get resolved this week before the grace period is over
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 06:33 PM 07-02-2014
oh honey, Im so sorry. Do u have a local office you can sit in until they are sick of you?
justmama's Avatar justmama 07:01 PM 07-02-2014
What about salvation army for rent assistance? Local churches? There's a church here that helps with utilities and rent every Friday if you get there when they open. I've never been but I have friends who have gone.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 08:40 PM 07-02-2014
Mylie - Praying it comes through in time. Do you have a St. Vincent De Paul or Catholic Charities nearby? They may help with your rent too. I would also call your state's Unemployment Ombudsman, and see if they can help expedite things.

Trying to just keep swimming here too. Found another water leak - this time in my half bath. I don't use it much since it's so small & the faucet is cracked, so didn't notice it right away. Found it today, with a bunch of mold on stuff that got wet The cabinet is going to have to go - I think it's a broken pipe in the wall. Tried to shut it off & the pipe just did the loud jackhammer rattle thing & leaked worse. Did get it slowed down though. But the cabinet is soaked anyway, and with no a/c it's sure to mold. Oh well will try to replace it with a smaller one - help the bathroom look bigger. Going to have to call & see if we are eligible for the city plumbing program again - it's not quite been a year since we used it for a broken pipe last summer. If we are eligible will get them to fix my leaky kitchen faucet, the leaky outdoor faucet and my loose toilet while they are here - might as well make the trip count, right?

Spent the afternoon cleaning up my room to make sure there wasn't any water I had missed. Tomorrow is a long errand day, and then Friday we are going to try to go to a local 4th of July parade & celebration. I am hoping we can make it - it's in an area where the bus doesn't run, so we have to walk at least a half mile from the bus stop, maybe more. But it's free, and they are going to give away free hot dogs, ice cream & apple pie too. Then Friday night we will go out on the driveway after we coat ourselves with OFF & watch everyone else's fireworks - last year the show lasted nearly a hour & was really good, with the exception of my nerves on account of the folks behind us setting off ones that kept going low {I always worry about the house catching fire when folks do that}. I wanted to get sparklers for dd, but we can't get to any of the fireworks stands on the bus. Saturday I am headed to a free giveaway done monthly by a local thrift shop that is just a little ways from us. Hoping to find pants for my dd & shoes for her this winter. And maybe something I can put back for a birthday present for her too.

Sold some of last year's homeschooling stuff on ebay - not a lot, but enough to help pay bills. Got more listed now so maybe it will help. Going to have a yard sale next weekend if it's not too hot.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 09:21 PM 07-02-2014
Oh no Mylie! Frugalmama had a great idea about calling the umbudsman to see if they can help. Try the churches or Salvation Army like suggested. I'd try to call the HUD office as well. They do the Section 8 vouchers and all for rental assistance so maybe they can get you emergency help since your payments got messed up. I hope you can figure something out. Would it be possible to explain the situation to your landlord and get a longer grace period until the check comes in?

Well dh has just left for work here and we have more storms coming in now. I need to get out with the kids sometime in the next week to pick up some things but I need to get a list together. I will be cleaning house for the next day or two. Our whole schedule always seems to get turned upside down when dh is here.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie 12:58 AM 07-03-2014
Thanks you guys...for all the ideas...I do have a place here that helps but I have to wait for the DSS office to deny me first which hopefully will be by Friday..My landlord is nice but there is a $50 late fee after grace...I am on the list for both HUD and section 8 but I Have to wait till my name comes up...I am hoping it does before winter hits...things will be a lot better for us when it does...
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 01:43 AM 07-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
Thanks you guys...for all the ideas...I do have a place here that helps but I have to wait for the DSS office to deny me first which hopefully will be by Friday..My landlord is nice but there is a $50 late fee after grace...I am on the list for both HUD and section 8 but I Have to wait till my name comes up...I am hoping it does before winter hits...things will be a lot better for us when it does...
Hopefully they'll hurry up with the decision so you can get this taken care of. Have you called the HUD and Section 8 offices lately? How long has it been since you signed up? Even if it won't help right now maybe they can give you some kind of update on where you are on the list. Not sure how it works everywhere but here they go through apps by the month of application so if you call in they can at least say we're interviewing applicants from Month/Year right now. That'll help you see how much longer you may have to wait. I do know our Section 8 has ways to expedite also though in emergency cases and if you risk losing your current home and being homeless they may be able to get you bumped up a bit. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask.
justmama's Avatar justmama 12:48 PM 07-03-2014
frugalmama, forgive me but your house sounds like it's COSTING you more than it's helping you. Every other month or so you have leaks in your plumbing or broken this or that. I feel like you would be so much better doing a section 8 place or HUD housing.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 06:20 PM 07-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
frugalmama, forgive me but your house sounds like it's COSTING you more than it's helping you. Every other month or so you have leaks in your plumbing or broken this or that. I feel like you would be so much better doing a section 8 place or HUD housing.
I think it's about even, honestly even with all the repairs.

According to a friend of mine, the most likely reason for the increase in water leaks in the summer is due to the temperature changes. Because we don't have a/c & central heating, the house has larger temp swings which puts more stress on the pipes due to the expansion & contraction of the metal. Add in the fact that they weatherized the house for 9 months before we moved in which allows rust to form in the pipes, and he said he was surprised we hadn't had more leaks honestly.

The biggest reason I didn't take the section 8 voucher when it came up was safety. Right now I live in a lovely little neighborhood where everyone knows each other & looks out for each other. I can carry my trash at 3am & only have to worry about possums & skunks. I can let dd play outside without me constantly watching her. The places I found to rent with the section 8 voucher, for the most part, were all apartment complexes in high crime areas that have frequent shootings. Places where I wouldn't feel comfortable going out at night at all. The most they would pay towards rent would be $800 for a 2 bed, and here most rent for more than that unless you either find someplace that needs work or in a bad part of town. I found one place that would have worked, but they didn't have any openings right then. I'm going to keep my eye on it - maybe when our number comes up again they will have an apartment.

Plus I don't see my dd doing okay in an apartment setting. She has some sensory issues due to her apsergers that would likely get us fined or kicked out. They drive me nuts even in a house where I don't have to keep it clean all the time for fear of inspection. Maybe in a couple more years she will get past them, I hope.
justmama's Avatar justmama 04:06 PM 07-04-2014
*hugs* I know how scary it is to go from a seemingly safe neighborhood in a house to a bad neighborhood in an apartment. I'm telling you though, it's a lot less stress. We lived in a duplex in a safe neighborhood with a few drug dealers that kept the street safe where I didn't worry about the kids outside. But now my kids aren't allowed outside alone and they regard the cop cars as an ever-present fixture that they don't notice anymore. No shootings but . . . . . . . . In fact my kids have learned the fine art of avoiding certain adults who tend towards drama and calling the cops and they know now that no matter what they saw, THEY SAW NOTHING. But they go to a good school with teachers who help them excel and they have friends and the bills are paid and there are lots of people who look out for them. It's not as bad as you think. If it sucks, it'll help you save a little money and move into a neighborhood with less crime. There's always options.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 04:41 PM 07-04-2014
The crime rates in areas are always a big concern. We sold our original place because of the people moving into the area and crime rising. It also changed to the bad school district so it was basically worthless when we sold it. We're in a safer neighborhood now but still live in the same portion of the same state and it sucks. Our neighborhood that our house is in is very safe but the general area is shady and there are many many places that I can't/won't go to and that sucks. NO free activities or resources that can be used here given the population and shootings happening every time something good does come along then it gets shut down. I desperately want to move to a different area but it's expensive to do, we own paid for land where we are and dh doesn't feel it's too big of a deal since he works off and spends his time in at home mostly where it is safe/decent. He rarely has to deal with the cesspool that is our local region. Ugh. I hope you can figure out something with your housing that will be better financially for you without putting you in a dangerous area.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 01:26 PM 07-05-2014
The town I currently live in has gone severely downhill. There are still a few nice patches but overall I doubt I would buy into our township. Speaking of homeownership, twice now we have found some very nice houses in our price range we could buy. I pretty much know we would get approval though I dont know what the interest rate would be. Sigh, Id love to move. Im ready to own. But financially speaking I really think we should wait until at least tax time if not another year in austerity mode. I def dont want to go into home ownership already struggling or overextended. Must stay strong!

Gratefuls-
had a lovely, and mostly inexpensive, fourth. We hought $13 in little snappers, smokers, and such for the kids (cant do real fireworks here). Bbqed, had a neighbor over and saw the fireworks in town.

Our grocery stockpile is growing. Yay! Tomorrow is blueberry picking and lster this week we get corn. My sister may also be giving me some zuchinni which I think I will shred for the freezer. Got a great deal on coffee so stockup up on that.

Plugging away on money saving tactics and hubby is on board. Which brings me to a huge grateful- my hubby is trying to quit smoking. He came to the idea on his own. I really hope it sticks. He seems committed. Not only would this do wonders for our budget but his health of course. My father has copd so I really want dh to not go down that path.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 06:55 PM 07-05-2014
Alright my frugal gurus, Id love help brainstorming. Ive been working hard on our grocery budget and really slashed it. We have a budget of 300 a month for grocery and household goods. This has been workable but obviously it means budgeting for those once in a while expenses like cat supplies, bulk tp, etc. Hubby gets a bonus check we are using for beefing up our stockpile. I got a great deal on coffee and Im going to stock up on our "fancy" toothpaste. We will have approx 200 left and its hard for me to decide how to fully utilize out the absolute best. We have plenty of noodles and rice. Just bought cat litter and cat food too. Oh and sept and oct we will have NO extra money unless dh gets ot or starts his weekend job. He gets an extra check in Oct.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 02:07 AM 07-06-2014
Happyhats - Do you have an emergency fund? I'd stash the $200 back for emergencies.

The last 24 hours have been a day of blessings for me - the kind that really restore my faith in humanity. I guess it was finally time for some of the blessings I've given out to come back to us. I've been really down lately and discouraged - this being ultra low income and not being able to afford the wants at all, and often not the needs unless carefully shopped for has been wearing on me.

First blessing was our neighbors niece came over Friday evening & gave my dd a bunch of sparklers to shoot off - she had bought a bunch but then a friend called & invited her out. So my dd got to do sparklers for the 1st time - I had wanted to buy some but couldn't get to any of the fireworks stands on the bus. We stayed out till nearly midnight watching fireworks from our driveway. Then Saturday morning we got up early to go to a giveaway that a local thrift shop does once a month to bless the community. I was hoping to find my dd a couple of pairs of pants since she only has a couple of pair that fit, and none that were warmer for this winter. I hit the motherload - she ended up getting 5 pair of jeans / khakis that should fit her now along with a couple of tops, and another 8 pair of jeans & a whole walmart bag of tops in the next 2 sizes up. I even found a few things for me too - a fleece pullover & a pair of clip on sunglasses that I desperately needed. Then we went across the street to HEB to grab a few things. Got in line to check out & the lady ahead of me insisted on paying for our stuff, even when I said I had plenty of SNAP to cover it. Said G-d laid it on her heart that she should, and for us to pass the favor on when we could. A couple of minutes later we were waiting at the bus stop, and this guy walked up, handed me $20 and said it was from the lady ahead of us - she wanted to bless us with it. Great timing as I had $3 in my wallet & I was trying to figure out how to make it stretch over a week for bus fare to run the errands we need to run this week. Then we spent the afternoon at Half Price and Barnes & Noble, and dd got her free books from the summer reading program at both places.

Going to pass the blessings on tomorrow, and post a bag of groceries free on CL I've nearly got a bag ready & if I pull a little from our stockpile I can do a nice big one. After my garage sale this coming weekend I will do the same with the clothing, I think, or maybe call the thrift shop that did the giveaway & see if they can pick it up for their next giveaway.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 02:21 AM 07-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
Happyhats - Do you have an emergency fund? I'd stash the $200 back for emergencies.

The last 24 hours have been a day of blessings for me - the kind that really restore my faith in humanity. I guess it was finally time for some of the blessings I've given out to come back to us. I've been really down lately and discouraged - this being ultra low income and not being able to afford the wants at all, and often not the needs unless carefully shopped for has been wearing on me.

First blessing was our neighbors niece came over Friday evening & gave my dd a bunch of sparklers to shoot off - she had bought a bunch but then a friend called & invited her out. So my dd got to do sparklers for the 1st time - I had wanted to buy some but couldn't get to any of the fireworks stands on the bus. We stayed out till nearly midnight watching fireworks from our driveway. Then Saturday morning we got up early to go to a giveaway that a local thrift shop does once a month to bless the community. I was hoping to find my dd a couple of pairs of pants since she only has a couple of pair that fit, and none that were warmer for this winter. I hit the motherload - she ended up getting 5 pair of jeans / khakis that should fit her now along with a couple of tops, and another 8 pair of jeans & a whole walmart bag of tops in the next 2 sizes up. I even found a few things for me too - a fleece pullover & a pair of clip on sunglasses that I desperately needed. Then we went across the street to HEB to grab a few things. Got in line to check out & the lady ahead of me insisted on paying for our stuff, even when I said I had plenty of SNAP to cover it. Said G-d laid it on her heart that she should, and for us to pass the favor on when we could. A couple of minutes later we were waiting at the bus stop, and this guy walked up, handed me $20 and said it was from the lady ahead of us - she wanted to bless us with it. Great timing as I had $3 in my wallet & I was trying to figure out how to make it stretch over a week for bus fare to run the errands we need to run this week. Then we spent the afternoon at Half Price and Barnes & Noble, and dd got her free books from the summer reading program at both places.

Going to pass the blessings on tomorrow, and post a bag of groceries free on CL I've nearly got a bag ready & if I pull a little from our stockpile I can do a nice big one. After my garage sale this coming weekend I will do the same with the clothing, I think, or maybe call the thrift shop that did the giveaway & see if they can pick it up for their next giveaway.
That is totally awesome! I'm sooo glad you had such a wonderful day. We had this happen to us a few months ago. A man in line behind us at the pharmacy heard the lady give me a total over $200 for meds for my kids the day dd had her massive allergic reaction to a script they'd given her that had to be replaced along with others she needed and also the little ones. He handed dh $100! I almost cried at the total but when dh handed me the money and told me what happened I burst into tears. It's such a blessing to get that unexpected kindness right when you need it.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 02:29 AM 07-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Alright my frugal gurus, Id love help brainstorming. Ive been working hard on our grocery budget and really slashed it. We have a budget of 300 a month for grocery and household goods. This has been workable but obviously it means budgeting for those once in a while expenses like cat supplies, bulk tp, etc. Hubby gets a bonus check we are using for beefing up our stockpile. I got a great deal on coffee and Im going to stock up on our "fancy" toothpaste. We will have approx 200 left and its hard for me to decide how to fully utilize out the absolute best. We have plenty of noodles and rice. Just bought cat litter and cat food too. Oh and sept and oct we will have NO extra money unless dh gets ot or starts his weekend job. He gets an extra check in Oct.
Frugalmama had a good idea to just stick it aside for emergencies. If you're all stocked up I'd just stick it aside also just in case or maybe use it to pre-pay some of the bills so you don't have to worry about them for a bit. I often try to put some extra on our light bill or pre-buy the next phone card and put on reserve and such just so I know the bills are getting paid ahead of time.

Now for the frugal guru brainstorming... I'd work on cutting some of the stuff off that purchase list! Might not help right now for some of the things you've already bought but it will help next time. Is there a different toothpaste you can buy or have you tried any homemade recipes? I have to get the stuff for it but there's a remineralizing squeezable recipe that looks good I'm wanting to test out from wellnessmama. The bulk tp well family cloth LOL! I just ordered a bidet for us and I'm going to try using the bidet with family cloth to dry so we don't need to buy tp anymore. I'm hoping it works for us. And for the cat litter have you thought about using sand? It soaks up the urine and clumps around the poo just like litter does but can often be a LOT cheaper (even free if you have access to it where you live). I actually use sand as the bedding/litter in my chicken coop so clean up is easier since it's like a large kitty litter box. Sand is also a natural filter so it helps keep the smell out on its own or you could add extras like essential oils or something if you would like (as long as they're kitty safe of course). Works great!!! I'm also running a test right now on cold brew method for coffee that will (if it works...) save us having to buy filters and run the coffee pot so a little less electric too. I've been doing it for our tea and it's amazing. What other stuff are you buying that we can replace?
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 02:54 PM 07-06-2014
I have a tiny emergency fund going. I may put back a little more. Thankfully the kids are good for fall clothes and Ive gotten a jumpstart on birthdays/Christmas already too. I know they will need fall shoes and snowshoes but thats all.

Crazyms- Ive tried both sand and newspaper for the cat. No go. However she will use any old cheap litter. I bought a 42 pound bag on sale at costco and when that runs low Im going to look into petco for their refillable litter. Im the only one that will use cloth tp. As for the toothpaste I was buying whatever I could get cheapest but Im really missing my all natural stuff. I will have to look into wellness mamas recipe.

At this point Im trying to cut costs as low as possible in a sustainable way. I dont want to go on a budget "diet" so to speak. Im tired of the feast or famine rollercoaster. So thats why Im trying to keep feeding my stockpile so I can keep being able to buy at rock bottom prices, etc. Ive cut our groceries almost in half. I havent seen our electric bill yet (we run a month behind) but hopefully all these changes will show there too. Im keeping myeye on the prize-getting debt free, getting a home, and having financial stability.

Last night my husband was confronted by a guy coming out of the woods behind our apt. Turns out the guy had a big altercation with someone in the complex next door. Niiiice.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 03:23 PM 07-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
I have a tiny emergency fund going. I may put back a little more. Thankfully the kids are good for fall clothes and Ive gotten a jumpstart on birthdays/Christmas already too. I know they will need fall shoes and snowshoes but thats all.

Crazyms- Ive tried both sand and newspaper for the cat. No go. However she will use any old cheap litter. I bought a 42 pound bag on sale at costco and when that runs low Im going to look into petco for their refillable litter. Im the only one that will use cloth tp. As for the toothpaste I was buying whatever I could get cheapest but Im really missing my all natural stuff. I will have to look into wellness mamas recipe.

At this point Im trying to cut costs as low as possible in a sustainable way. I dont want to go on a budget "diet" so to speak. Im tired of the feast or famine rollercoaster. So thats why Im trying to keep feeding my stockpile so I can keep being able to buy at rock bottom prices, etc. Ive cut our groceries almost in half. I havent seen our electric bill yet (we run a month behind) but hopefully all these changes will show there too. Im keeping myeye on the prize-getting debt free, getting a home, and having financial stability.

Last night my husband was confronted by a guy coming out of the woods behind our apt. Turns out the guy had a big altercation with someone in the complex next door. Niiiice.
Well darn! I was hoping kitty might light the sand. If the cheap litter is working though and she'll use it that's good. I hear you on the toothpaste. We've done the same thing with switching between cheap and natural when we could afford it. I'm hoping that recipe is good because it'd be great to have it ready to go, natural and save money! Would your family use the cloth if it was with the bidet? My husband thought I was insane for the family cloth idea until I talked to him about the bidet then he went for it! My bidet should arrive in the next week so I'm really excited about that! And the altercation sounds awful. I hate unexpected not so great interactions.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 03:30 PM 07-06-2014
Things are okay here. I've been trying to work out our budget and priorities with the extra money coming in so we get the best use out of it. I'm hoping to make the most of it while I can. Trying hard to get all the reuseable replaceable options we can that will eliminate things to be purchased and save us money on those we do need to purchase. We really need more quality time as a family and fun stuff for the kids because to be honest our lives have been kinda lame for a while now with not having access to activities and events in our local area. I can find tons of free and cool activities within a 1-3 hr drive but that costs gas money that we haven't had. I'm hoping to arrange our budget and goings so the gas budget allows for some of those trips to do something with the kids.

Next Saturday is jam packed with free stuff on the coast and we're taking a friend and her son with us. The kids will have an educational program with arts&crafts, songs and stories in the morning on birds, then there's an opening of an exhibit at the art gallery. Splash pad and beach play then a drive in movie night with activities and events as well as the movie. That one isn't "free" but entry is only a canned good each! We'll get to take an entire fun filled day on the beach with activities and it'll only cost us the gas money down there and a few canned goods so I'm excited about that!
Mylie's Avatar Mylie 05:37 PM 07-06-2014
Sounds like a lot of Good is happening...I am so glad everyone seems to be Having a Good week

My rent is paid thanks to a very kind generous friend..I Have been trying to pay forward all the Good by donating everything I can to a local family...Today I loaded my car with everything that Didnt sell in the Yardsale and stopped it Off...

My gratefuls...

My own home..
My healthy child.
Wonderful friends..
justmama's Avatar justmama 06:04 PM 07-06-2014
Gratefuls:

-3 lovely hours at the beach today with a friend and her girls.

-the ability to pull together a snack plate of a dinner when there's not much left in the house.

-2 more weeks of class to get through. I know I've got this.

-a GORGEOUS weather day today.

-there was a free bus from my complex to the beach for the fireworks yesterday that ended up working out perfectly. We had so much fun.
Tags: Frugality , Finances
First ... 13  21  22  23 24  25  33  ... Last

Up