2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

#721 of 1249 Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Thank goodness for no ticket! That's always good.

We haven't done anything today but stay home. The kids are being pretty good today but I'm way off. The day started fine but has gone downhill since then from family drama. I'm just going to clean and stay home maybe go to a friend's this evening to vent and not be alone.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 1249 Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yeah...I was pretty nervous for a minute...At least she was nice...after she gave me my stuff back she gave my 6 year old a sticker and a coupon for a Free Ice cream for being Good and Sitting in her carseat....lol I am glad they dont do carseat checks cause I am pretty sure hers is expired...Sigh...
#723 of 1249 Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 PM

That's good. Sounds like you got a nice officer. I can't imagine any of the ones in my area giving a sticker to a kid. Although if you're concerned about her carseat try checking with the health department. Ours here does a carseat program that gives free carseats to low income families for children. I believe the police stations and fire stations do similar programs in other areas. I'm sure a google search for your area would turn up resources in your town or state that could get you a new carseat for her.

#724 of 1249 Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
sounds like a nice officer, Mylie, Im glad. Long day but managed to keep groceries in budget, my pantry is looking good, and had a nice evening with the family. Tomorrow Im letting my kiddos play at my parents and getting the bike for my son out.
#725 of 1249 Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Just reading. Don't have time to comment but I'll come back tonight or tomorrow. Weekend is great. Super busy. Love to all.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#726 of 1249 Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 AM

It's been a boring weekend here. I need to look for activities this coming up week that we might could drive to. The kids really need to get out to do something.

#727 of 1249 Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Crazyms, my mom is gonna watch ds for me on Monday but it looks like after that Im on my own. I'm currently trying to get ds's dad to help out with this new dc we found. Things may be looking up because I found out I get paid on friday! Im compensated for travel too so hopefully it will cover most of the daycare fees!

- - - -
#728 of 1249 Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
Crazyms, my mom is gonna watch ds for me on Monday but it looks like after that Im on my own. I'm currently trying to get ds's dad to help out with this new dc we found. Things may be looking up because I found out I get paid on friday! Im compensated for travel too so hopefully it will cover most of the daycare fees!
That's great! It'd be nice if his dad could help out even with just getting the fees paid until your assistance comes in. I hope things work out with the new dc. It really sucks to lose a job over childcare when you need it. I was just laid off a few weeks ago because "we know you were having trouble with babysitters so we'll just call you if we need you." Yeah...

Oh a little off subject but ... what part of Missouri are you from? If you don't mind saying. (Tell me it's West Plains oh please be West Plains )

#729 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
so I haven't been on much the past couple weeks. Kiddos went on their big cruise with the exh last week and I was able to spend time with my DP. We stayed around town and have a little staycation, saw some movies, had dinner and went to mini golf. It was great.

I am going to ask you all for many good vibes the next few weeks. DP and I went and looked at a home yesterday. We both are super excited to move to the next step in our relationship, there is going to be a wedding in the near future for sure. Anyhow, we had bounced around the idea of combining homes, and there was talk of him and his kids coming to live with me, but that was taken off the table since it is pretty small for 2 adults and 4 kids. Well a rental popped up 1/2 a mile from my ds's school, and we checked it out, we are in the process of putting up a lease offer right now and waiting to hear if it is accepted. It is a lot for both of us take in, but from a fiancial aspect it will only help the both of us. Rent is slightly higher than we would like, but it is still within our affordable range. He drives so much that his commuting costs are roughly 600$ per month, he will now be 3 miles from work vs 35 miles and his lo's will no longer have to wake before 6 am and not see him again until 5-6 pm. This is going to be so good for our family! The house is a great size for our family and has plenty of room for 4 young kids. We will even be able to have a playroom =) so happy thoughts our offer is accepted !!

Next up is my child support modification, that is exactly 1 week away. Hoping for a fair increase, ideally 1000K more is what i am hoping for
#730 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM

vibes, honey!
#731 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Yay! Lots of happy home vibes for you

#732 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 PM

So tired of my apartment becoming dumpy and falling apart when I have no control of it. Crappy plumbing, leaking dishwasher, chipping paint, fraying carpet, etc. So I decided I would deep clean what I could, polish and touch up furniture, and just spiff up what I can. Im so motivated to buy next year and get out of some debt and start saving so we can.
#733 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Same here happy hats! Right now our toilet is leaking out of the bottom some how and needs to be fixed. I'm getting extremely sick of walking into the bathroom to a stream of ??? on the floor. And I would be so much better off meal planning and budgeting the groceries if I had an OVEN! Ugh. It's a world better than our last place though so I'm glad for that.

We're also just starting to try to pay off debts and save to hopefully buy a house now that dh will be making a little bit more money. I know it'll be at least a year before we could do something but I'll be glad just to see it moving in that direction. We have to decide where we're even going to buy at though since it WON'T be in the area we're in. I hate hate hate hate it here. I can't imagine raising a family here forever. We have a lot of research and thinking to do though to decide where to live while we're trying to save to be able to buy.

Maybe we need a house savings thread on here

#734 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
So tired of my apartment becoming dumpy and falling apart when I have no control of it. Crappy plumbing, leaking dishwasher, chipping paint, fraying carpet, etc. So I decided I would deep clean what I could, polish and touch up furniture, and just spiff up what I can. Im so motivated to buy next year and get out of some debt and start saving so we can.
we want to buy soon too, ideally in a year to 2, I hate renting. Even 8 yo ds was disapointed we aren't looking to buy the house we looked at lol but that is because there is a no pet policy here. Though at right now we are just hoping to combine households and focus on blending the family. I was so excited to talk to DP about the combining of homes and me holding off on working out of the home for at least a year to spend all my time tending to getting the kids well adjusted to the blend. It will benefit everyone involved and fiancially speaking is the best move for us too.
#735 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Vibes and prayers for everyone!!!!

Things are okay here...I call into unemployment tommorow...as soon as they deposit my check I can get my Tags done...I do not like being Parked...We do live in town so we can walk places like the library or park...that helps...

Gratefuls....

My little tomato plants have little green tomatoes

My home...

My Sweet 6 year old...

Friends...
#736 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just had a scary-as-hell medical thing. I had symptoms of a minor stroke, and went into the ER this afternoon. Turns out it was diagnosed as Bell's Palsy, a relatively minor facial paralysis - more uncomfortable than dangerous. One eye is very irritated, and 1/2 my face is drooping. It is messing with my sense of taste, giving me a major headache, and I feel sort of dizzy/clumsy. It is expected to clear up, although it may be weeks or months. While all this is no fun, it is much better than a stroke! So I guess I can put this experience in the Gratefuls category.

Good vibes to all in the housing dilemma. I am quietly excited by a situation that may come to pass in the next few years. I am sort of afraid to jinx it by talking about it, but I just can't keep it in... ElderSon just got an amazingly well paying job (long story for another night, but paying about $250,000/year to start), and told me his dream is to live moderately frugally so he can buy and pay off a house for his family in the next 2 years. Then his next goal is to save enough to pay cash for a house for me! As that will be a few years down the road, I think I will be looking to live alone; my youngest 2 Dumplings are 18 and 19, and will be moving out someday soon, and my Mom is 95, and probably not immortal. I would love to live on the coast if I could find some work in my field. I am dreaming of a cottage with enough space for a garden and a few chickens. And Callie, my goofy St. Bernardish mutt.

I am so amazed that my son feels this sense of responsibility toward me. I admire that this is his plan/dream - even if it doesn't come to pass, it feels so good to be loved this deeply. And of course, this is the biggest Grateful of all.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#737 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I just had a scary-as-hell medical thing. I had symptoms of a minor stroke, and went into the ER this afternoon. Turns out it was diagnosed as Bell's Palsy, a relatively minor facial paralysis - more uncomfortable than dangerous. One eye is very irritated, and 1/2 my face is drooping. It is messing with my sense of taste, giving me a major headache, and I feel sort of dizzy/clumsy. It is expected to clear up, although it may be weeks or months. While all this is no fun, it is much better than a stroke! So I guess I can put this experience in the Gratefuls category.

Good vibes to all in the housing dilemma. I am quietly excited by a situation that may come to pass in the next few years. I am sort of afraid to jinx it by talking about it, but I just can't keep it in... ElderSon just got an amazingly well paying job (long story for another night, but paying about $250,000/year to start), and told me his dream is to live moderately frugally so he can buy and pay off a house for his family in the next 2 years. Then his next goal is to save enough to pay cash for a house for me! As that will be a few years down the road, I think I will be looking to live alone; my youngest 2 Dumplings are 18 and 19, and will be moving out someday soon, and my Mom is 95, and probably not immortal. I would love to live on the coast if I could find some work in my field. I am dreaming of a cottage with enough space for a garden and a few chickens. And Callie, my goofy St. Bernardish mutt.

I am so amazed that my son feels this sense of responsibility toward me. I admire that this is his plan/dream - even if it doesn't come to pass, it feels so good to be loved this deeply. And of course, this is the biggest Grateful of all.
You did get a lot of gratefuls! It is nice to be loved that much. That's a sure sign that you are one awesome mama!

#738 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 AM

mamarhu you sound like an awesome mom with a beautiful family. I hope my kids turn out so well. And take care of yourself!
#739 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mamarhu - You {and your son} are Awesome! I can only hope my dd turns out that good.

Good vibes to all those in the housing area. I would add look into HUD foreclosures - they go cheap. Sometimes they need a lot of work / sweat equity, but they go cheap. My house was a HUD foreclosure - paid $33k for it. I saw nice houses with pools go for $45k. HUD wants them to go to homeowners, not turned into rentals, so there are incentives if you are buying to live in. Totally worth looking into IMO. They don't always turn up on major listing websites, so it takes some digging to find them sometimes.

Still here, still chugging along. Sold a couple more things on ebay, got more listed that will hopefully sell. Trying to deal with the heat - we hit 99 yesterday. Would have left & went somewhere cool but I had ebay stuff to mail out.

Having more & more PC issues. It's gotten to where about 75% of websites I have to use the basic / mobile version so they don't freeze up my PC. Was thinking about getting a tablet instead of a new laptop - they are cheaper, but I am not sure really how they work / what they will do. Never had a tablet before - I have a kindle though, and like it. But I've seen some tablets down around $50, and I could swing that in a good ebay month. Plus a tablet would {I think} let me do more of the app based rebate sites like Ibotta & SavingStar {they now have Walmart & a bunch of other new stores, but it's all via the app }.

Gratefuls:

~Things to sell on ebay, and buyers to buy. Plus I am finally getting international buyers! Had a package yesterday that went to the UK, and one last week to Australia. My dd thinks it's cool to see where they are going.
~A big community garage sale I found out about that will be on Saturday - they are going to have face painting for the kids & activities. Nice nearly free outing for my dd & I.
~Scored a bunch of Organic Applesauce ultra cheap on clearance at my grocery store - they changed the packaging & these were the old. We are all set now for applesauce cups for picnic lunches
#740 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Frugalmama, I have a Galaxy tab2 that I'm in love with. Alot of the tablets let you use them as a normal laptop but with the extras of a mobile (apps and such). Some of the ones sold through the phone companies like AT&T have their own network connection so you can use them anywhere that has cell service. My mom got a Microsoft Surface and liked it once she figured out the whole Windows 8 mess.

- - - -
#741 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Yuck Windows 8 isn't too bad once you figure it out but I just had to upgrade and ending up with it a few months ago. I wasn't too happy at first but now I've got it. I think a tablet can work just fine instead of having a computer. The biggest difference is being able to use media. The only way to upload to a tablet is sd card no cd rom or anything. A computer is also better if you'll have large memory items on your computer. If all you do though is browse the web and maybe type in a little note now and then a tablet will work perfectly for you. Think of it basically like an extra large cell phone. You can get external keyboards that hook up to them to make typing easier if you need it. You do have to be careful though if you'll use it much because of the the cheaper ones really make it hard to do much on them. I know the Walmart here has an RCA one right now they're selling for $69 and it's comparable in quality to a pricey one. Works great for one that cheap! We bought it at work and it was really clear picture and quick screen response.

As for the houses it's gonna take a nice long while for us to save up money to be able to buy. We haven't even decided where to buy yet though!

#742 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Rhu, that's incredible for your son! I'm so happy for him!

Gratefuls:

-we had our appt at the food pantry today and feel SO much better about the state of the pantry/fridge/free*er

-with happyhats' help, I pulled together some supplies for laundry detergent and made some and our sheets are fresh and clean to sleep on tonight.

-food pantry had ra*ors and pads and shampoo for us which is awesome because there are two of us in this household with hairy bodies and periods.

-My kids were very good at the pantry, very grateful. I'm a proud mama.

-I graduate Friday from the CNA class. Tomorrow is the career fair. Wish me luck applying for jobs please!

-my computer is working.....a little. The screen is about to go out anyday. It turns all funny colors and stuff but it's working for the moment.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#743 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Good luck justmama! Im happy I could help! Hubby is probably working oth sat and fri this week. That much overtime will be rough but yay for money!
#744 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Justmama I'm glad things are going better for you. Congratulations on your class!

Happyhats I hear you on the ot! Dh is still gone on his 3 week hitch this time to get switched to his new schedule. He'll finally get back home next Wed. It's feeling like a lot longer than I thought it would.

We're okay here. Not doing much today. I've been slowly trying to clean and declutter. I've hit that roadblock though were I've bagged and boxed up some stuff but between that and moving things around I just don't seem to have space to work on anything else until I get this stuff out of my house. I won't be able to do that for a week til dh gets back though. I've been just slowly doing a shelf or cabinet here or there and hoping it'll eventually look like more has been done. Trying to stay busy. I'm also working our way through our pantry so I can get a fresh start on the menu.

#745 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
chugging along here... hoping summer heat breaks soon.... needing a very long cry.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#746 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
chugging along here... hoping summer heat breaks soon.... needing a very long cry.
I'm sorry zebra! Take the time to cry if you need it. It always makes me feel better if I get that tense and can just let it out. I hope the summer heat gets better for you!

#747 of 1249 Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
** please do not quote, i may delete

Things have been so stressful lately. Nonsense really but nothing I could do about it. I'm waiting on the official closure letter from CPS, i had a 3 mos of inhome family svcs that I couldn't write about on here. 'neglect' some ER reported when I was the one who showed up needing medical care. Anyway its done and over with. I feel so exhausted and emotionally drained from that on top of everything else. Everyone, including the inhome agency agrees it never should have been a case yet no one could stop the evergrowing snowball.
What I've learned is not to seek medical treatment for a certain thing and never ever to trust anyone. I'm even having a very difficult time trusting my therapist, whom i've been with almost a full year.

In good news I was approved for SSI/SSDI so there is a bit more money coming into the house and they were surprisingly fast getting kiddo on the approval as well. And I was approved extremly fast as I only applied in January of this year.

Ive cried more tears in the past 4-6 months than any mother should cry. I've been terrified and scared of losing my kid over something stupid and something I have no control over.

Hopefully, all the horrible awful is over and I can get back to life now.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#748 of 1249 Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

I am new to this thread, but I have a pretty low income and take care of my 5 year old niece several times a week, while my sister is at work.

Due to my birth defect, I am on Social Security Disability through the adult child disability benefit program (you have to have a deceased biological or adoptive parent that paid into SS in order to qualify for this). The majority of my income is spent on bills, bus passes for 2 different transit lines, cat food and litter, and groceries. I am usually completely broke by the 5th of each month. My sister is low income as well, despite being an assistant manager at a local Subway restraint. Its rough when its the middle of the month, and there is no milk or cereal at all, and I have to ask someone at church if they can help me get some. I only get $21.00 in food stamps every month, mainly because food stamps have decreased in WA state recently, so whatever is left from paying bills and stuff goes toward getting groceries for the month. Since I don't eat meat at all, some of the vegetarian options are more expensive.

Anyone else on Social Security or food stamps? How do you budget for the entire month?

Jessie
(aunt to Brianna, age 5)
#749 of 1249 Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't written on here in awhile. Things have been crazy. My parents split up after almost 40 years of marriage and us kids are put in the middle on top of my mom ruining everyone's names with lies.

I also found out we are expecting baby #4 and we finally was approved for Medicaid and WIC but still don't qualify for fs. Things are rough around here money wise. Hope everyone is doing okay

*Emi* excuse typos!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#750 of 1249 Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM

It can be difficult to budget on a low income but it can be done. Has your sister applied for food stamps? If she would qualify then she and her daughter would get more to help with groceries? Do the two of you live together? Your niece may also still qualify for WIC until her 6th birthday which can help out with some groceries. Most of us here just do what we can to lower our bills so that we can function. Not sure what your exact situation is or what you need help with or could even do but here are a few random ways I cut expenses:

- We moved into a 2 bedroom from the 3 bedroom we were renting. It's a smaller space for a family of 5 but it still works and it saved us $50/mo on rent plus being lower utilities.
- Try to lower the electric bill with all the normal suggestions: CFL bulbs, unplug what isn't needed/in use, line dry clothes as much as possible, hand wash clothes when possible, limit cooling/heating if we can
- We keep low cost prepaid cell phones but if you have assistance there are free phone options available for you.
- No cable! We don't currently have anything but we have had a digital antenna in the past that provided a few channels and was nice. It was free after the money we spent on the antenna
- Replace household items with reusable options and homemade cheaper options. ie. menstrual cup or mama cloth for feminine products, baking soda and vinegar to clean, homemade laundry detergent, family cloth for tp, no disposable products and paper towels, etc.

* Idea if you can: I use sand in the bottom of our chicken coop for litter. It works like cat litter but can be much cheaper. I would try it to see if your cat would use it because that could save you money as well.

Do you rent? Is it possible to have any kind of garden?

Tags
Frugality , Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page