2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 27 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

#781 of 806 Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Against my better judgement I'm trying ebay again. we have lots of homeschool stuff to sell, i probably missed the timing by a month or so but hey... i need to try.... the resale bookstore gives pennies for this stuff, maybe ebay can be better. after the homeschool load comes the lego load.

we need money even a few dollars will help (oye the fees, and now it seems they are restricting what i can charge for shipping.... hating this before i even start)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#782 of 806 Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
That sounds like it could be a hassle. I hope your stuff sells though. Good luck!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#783 of 806 Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Zebra - actually I've been selling quite a bit of Homeschooling stuff this month. Mostly Sonlight items - if you have anything Sonlight I would post it for sale now & be sure to opt IN to the global shipping program. About half the stuff I've sold lately has gone overseas. Legos do good too. You can also try posting the homeschool stuff on Homeschool Classifieds - it's free, but slower. I don't know anything about ebay restricting what you can charge for shipping - I always do calculated shipping by weight when I list, and then give the item weight padded a little to allow for a box / packing materials / etc.

Still chugging along here. Going to a giant community garage sale tomorrow - hoping to find good stuff for me & to sell on ebay.

Working on cleaning house. It has gotten away from me the last month or so because I wasn't feeling good.
#784 of 806 Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Ugh I need to clean house. I got our bedding all washed up and I'm moving some of those items out of here. I really need to get motivated tomorrow to do something though.

#785 of 806 Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those of you who sell stuff on Ebay or Craigslist HOW do you know how much to ask for? I have a couple appliances and I can look up the price online except that the models I have are old.

I also have some silver things like a sugar spoon and a thimble. I may have jewelry too. I have not idea at all what they are worth. I looked up appraisers and that might work but they really look at estate sales etc. Someone suggested a pawn shop that how much do they really know?

thanks
#786 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post
Those of you who sell stuff on Ebay or Craigslist HOW do you know how much to ask for? I have a couple appliances and I can look up the price online except that the models I have are old.

I also have some silver things like a sugar spoon and a thimble. I may have jewelry too. I have not idea at all what they are worth. I looked up appraisers and that might work but they really look at estate sales etc. Someone suggested a pawn shop that how much do they really know?

thanks
For high end in demand stuff start low and let the buyers fight over it! For smaller items look into the past selling history on ebay. Craigslist is a bit harder as it really is what your city can hold as looking at an item for sale few cities over cost may not be accurate for the market you have. I HATE craigslist selling due to the ones who email life story of how they need it cheaper. I am usually selling for something I need to buy so really yeah i get it but I can not cut price as then I can not buy item I need.

I have email JUST for craigslist. Makes it easier to ignore people if they become a hassle. Also if you are selling many items of smaller item I would list them all as one ad as found that helps to make one person buy multiple items getting stuff out faster.
#787 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Nice weekend. Yesterday was tiring because of longer lines than expected at the petting zoo but otherwise good. Still teading water, still not getting ahead as quickly as Id like. But hubbys raise starts reflecting next week. Catching up on housework today and eating leftovers. Did some more purging and looking through hubbys wardrobe. Im hoping to buy a discounted gc soon and pick up a few needed things.

Hubbys bonus finally comes next week but was eaten up by taxes so its only 185. Im going to use it for school supplies, toothpaste and hold back the rest.
#788 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Glad you're finally getting the bonus in even if it isn't a larger as you hoped. The raise showing up on the checks will start making a difference. Our first raise check comes Thurs. It'll be nice for it to finally be here.

We're still trudging along here too. Dh will finally return home in 2 days. This has been an extremely long hitch and it'll be great to have some adult backup in this house again! I've done pretty good keeping spending down this week so that's good. I do need to go to the store and get a few things today or tomorrow before dh returns. I have to pay bills again next week so I've been trying to hold onto what I can from his checks until I get that done. It'll be nice once we get the money in to finally get some of this stuff paid off/up.

#789 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Well I decided its silly to buy toothpaste in bulk when its approx the same price as the natural food store in town. I can just up the grocery/hba budget a couple bucks if necessary and buy as needed. Im so used to having no wiggle room. Finally gotten house straightened. The kiddos are finally done snipping at each other too lol. Going to do a face and hair mask set up, get lunch together and relax before checking on my sisters cat.
#790 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My DP and i got the rental house! We move in August 1st. I have already talked to my current landlord and he is super nice about letting me go on short notice and not paying for the week of the move and getting my deposit back.

My ex did a completely cool and awesome thing and loaned me enough to secure the new place. We also settled on child support today. I just feel like everything is falling into place here, well except for time to do the packing! My DP has lined up people to help us move as well. I am going to be facing a lot of new things in life and last week I was so stressed, making so many changes can be hard, but it looks like the best thing right now is to stop worrying! I worried myself sick last week wondering how all this would turn out and it looks like things are falling in place just as planned.
#791 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 PM

That is awesome! Congratulations on your new rental. I hope you get settled in quickly and love the new place.

#792 of 806 Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am just a bit cranky, and glad to have this space to vent - thank you my friends!

I just found that my bank account is $28 overdrawn. Not the worst thing in the world, but payday is 10 days away, and I will need to fill the gas tank about twice to get through work (I drive around 50 miles a day between clients' homes). We probably have plenty of food, but will run out of milk and fresh veggies. This all came about because I had a major car repair issue last week: $650 plus car rental. Yuck!

Ran out to the store for DD to get some packing tape for an Ebay order (go, DD!), and came home to find the dog had eaten 1 1/2 quiches I had stupidly left out to cool. Seriously, that was 9 servings, greedy dog! Grrrrr!

Very long story, but it looks like it will be very complicated for DD to get VA dependents' benefits for college. Don't know if it is even possible. A major part of my job is advocating for families to get help they need and deserve, but doing this for my own family is one of my least favorite ways to spend my time. Sheesh!

I keep applying for jobs that will pay better than my current one. I get few responses, and even fewer interviews. I know this is just how the process works, but tonight I wish folks would make their decisions more quickly! It is discouraging after a while.

OK, I am done whining. If those 4 things are all I can think of to complain about, I guess my life isn't so bad after all. Thank you for the spot to write it out and realize that it really is manageable. MDC to the rescue! Once again!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#793 of 806 Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Oh mamarhu, Im sorry! Vent away! Can u sell anything? Borrow from someone? That sucks!

I have good news. Hubby got his milage check in the mail today and it faaaar exceeded my expectations. Its our grocery money for the month! Were cashing it and throwing it in our grocery envelope so we can pay ahead on bills out of the checking account. We were looking at the finances since hubby got this new raise and if we stay the course we could be debt free by the end of next year!
#794 of 806 Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Gratefuls:
-I was gifted 3 boxes of cheerios. My kids are psyched.
-free lunch program.
-Rice and beans til the cows come home!!! Cheap food rocks.
#795 of 806 Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM

@mamarhu that is awful! I hope you can find some break in all this.
@happyhats that's great! I'm glad the check came out to more than you thought it would.
@justmama Nice gratefuls! Knowing food is covered and no one will be hungry is always a big grateful!

I actually have some pretty good gratefuls for today:
- Dh comes home in the morning! It's been a really long 3 weeks with him gone. I'm surprised it was so hard but I guess I got spoiled with the 7/7 schedule for the last year.
- Have done pretty good with limited spending so that we should have some extra money after paying all the big bills when dh gets paid this week
- I haven't smoked in 3 days!!!! I am so proud of myself and hope I can keep it up.

#796 of 806 Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Ugh just got a disconnect notice on the electric - have till Friday to get it paid. Going to call in the morning & see if I can get an extension. Really need to go down to the county office & find out what is up with this aid payment only every 3 months instead of monthly. Going to have a yard sale Thursday & Friday to try to come up with the bill money.

Gratefuls:

~Scored a bunch more $3 off beef WYB Fiesta Seasonings coupons at Walmart - the vendor was putting them on & gave me a big stack I am stocking the freezer with beef to last until next summer when they come out again.
~PBS. I have been happily watching shows all day while I cleaned. And I am excited to see the Frontline show "Poor Kids" tonight - it's about folks like us struggling to make it work.
~Stuff to sell at my garage sale, on ebay, and on FB.
#797 of 806 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Sigh....I am so frustrated and ready to cry...I still haven't gotten my unemployment!!! These delays are crazy!! They assure me I will get it eventually but it's been almost 2 months!! The other girls at work are slowly getting theirs...another girl got hers approved today...I am just so frustrated that it isn't happening for me yet!!

I am just frustrated and looking for a safe place to vent and let it out...I am weary of being carless,jobless and stuck home all the time...I have been putting my applications in everywhere hoping something will pan out...even the local supermarket...this is just such a rural area with no jobs...

On my agenda today is calling unemployment again and calling the local temp service to see if they have anything available yet...

Makes you just want to sleep 24/7...

My gratefuls...

I still have my home..
I have a full pantry..
I
My 6 year old is safe safe safe!!!
#798 of 806 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

I'm sorry Mylie. Unemployment is a major PITA to have to deal with. When we had to apply after dh's lay off they never did pay him. They gave us the run around about which state had to pay since he was on contract work and so nobody ended up paying it. Really really sucks. I hope yours comes in soon.

Frugalmama good luck on your yard sale. I hope enough sells to help you with your bills!

Dh finally made it home so I can relax here. Gotta make sure I get everything done I needed his help with though so it's gonna be a long week.

#799 of 806 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=crazyms;17853809]I'm sorry Mylie. Unemployment is a major PITA to have to deal with. When we had to apply after dh's lay off they never did pay him. They gave us the run around about which state had to pay since he was on contract work and so nobody ended up paying it. Really really sucks. I hope yours comes in soon.

Thanks....I am waiting for the call back now...I hope they don't do that to me....it is one state but is getting beyond frustrating....
#800 of 806 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

If it's one state you'll be fine. We only had trouble b/c the resident state didn't want to pay since he got laid off in the other state but the lay off state claimed our resident state had to pay since that was our residency/taxes state plus he'd worked as much or more in the resident state in 18mos or whatever. Idk it was stupid but they left us with no money. I hope you hear something from them quickly. If the other girls that you worked with are getting their money hopefully yours will be in soon. Are you still doing the weekly check ins/forms or whatever? I know here you have to keep turning in info every week or something to get it.

#801 of 806 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
If it's one state you'll be fine. We only had trouble b/c the resident state didn't want to pay since he got laid off in the other state but the lay off state claimed our resident state had to pay since that was our residency/taxes state plus he'd worked as much or more in the resident state in 18mos or whatever. Idk it was stupid but they left us with no money. I hope you hear something from them quickly. If the other girls that you worked with are getting their money hopefully yours will be in soon. Are you still doing the weekly check ins/forms or whatever? I know here you have to keep turning in info every week or something to get it.

Yes...still filling out the forms and the biweekly call in...it is just very weary with no $$...My 6 year old is scheduled to go to camp next week and I have to transport her and back everyday...not sure how I work it out...But I am working on it...

I put my application in at a transitional home that is hiring various positions a while ago....I hope they call...
#802 of 806 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Im praying for you Mylie. It really sucks how much they make people work for their benefits. Ive been feeling icky, physically, this week due to aunt flo and horrible allergies. Thank goodness for leftovers in the fridge last night lol! Financially we're doing well bc of hubbys raise and ot. Able to pay car payment plus cometely pay off cc bills and make an extea payment on another loa. Yay for getting out of debt! And groceries are still holding strong as well.

I did some free redecorating with throw pillows from my bedroom and some extra curtains. My living room was needing a pick me up. Hubby was able to pick up paint for our back door and Im touching up my chalkboard table we have in our kitchen too. I gave a list of repairs needed for our apt and we are supposed to be having an inspection tomorrow but Im not holding my breath.
#803 of 806 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

I hope they hurry up Mylie. The no money really sucks. Your dd's camp sounds like fun!

Yay for free decorating happyhats! I need to do some of that myself. I'm steadily working on decluttering and reorganizing the house. The PMS has kicked my behind this week as well though. Almost over and maybe I can feel sane again.

#804 of 806 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Yard sale got postponed till next week - woke up sick . Called the Electric company & was able to get an extension until the 1st, but had to go ahead & pay the $100 of the bill I had. Praying some of my ebay stuff sells - I have 6 things listed right now & if they all sell I will be okay, but not sure they will sell.

Saturday we are going on a free outing. Bus is free to go to a public housing education expo thing in downtown. We will go for a little while, and then go to the park with a picnic lunch, and then when it gets hot we will walk around the big tourist trap mall until we get bored, then we'll head to goodwill. Starbucks is doing a free iced tea or coffee if you donate 3 school supplies for Stuff the Bus, so will take a bit of our extra supplies & get free iced tea. There is a Starbucks in the mall, so it's easy to get to. While in Downtown we'll stop at CVS & pick up the SavingStar Friday Freebie, and on the way home we will route our trip to go by the grocery store to pick up the Checkout51 deals I think.
#805 of 806 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Wow sounds like a busy day! I went grocery shopping ... ALONE! Oh wow I can't remember the last time I went anywhere without at least one of the kids in tow. It was strangely peaceful. Honestly I just wanted to walk around that store all day lol. I got a few things though just more fresh stuff since we're pantry shopping right now. Gotta check the bank account for dh's check later and pay some bills. Tomorrow will be a big errand day of bill paying. Oh joy!

#806 of 806 Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Yes she is looking forward to it Lots of princess/slaying dragons(theme) type of fun and lots of swimming....

I didn't get anywhere with unemployment so I continue to wait...I got tierd of staying home so we walked to the elementary school to the vegetable garden L helped plant in the gardening club...we picked lots and lots of fresh peas a a couple cucumbers...

My thought and prayers continue to be with all of you...

My gratefuls...

Fresh picked peapods!!! Yum
A very tierd snuggly 6 year old
My own home!!

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page