2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

#811 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keep up hope-it will get sorted. I know that means so little now when your in need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#812 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It's a ling wait but I would take the confirmation and go to your office and ask to see your worker...That is probably the quickest way...be prepared to wait though
#813 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't mind waiting, I'm just not sure if I should use the gas to go out there. I just got paid today and it's either spend some and go out there but risk not being able to cover the cost of dc without aid or just save it all to use for dc. Without aid, the full week of dc is around $260 for my ds. I'm not even sure how much my paycheck is. I still have to go pick it up.

- - - -
#814 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
Hey mommas, I have a question for everyone that gets state help. What do you do when they dont process your paperwork and everything gets cancelled? I submitted everything the day they asked for it and now 11 business days after I received a letter saying I didnt provide the papers so it's all getting cancelled. I called the help line and they said that I should hear from someone within three business days.... I cant work until I have childcare assistance and no work means no pay or even worse my job being taken. No only did I lose my childcare but my FS and health insurance are cancelled as of 08/01. This is the end of my 3rd week without childcare and I'm really struggling to stay any where near positive. *sigh*
I'm sorry you are going through this. For me I was denied a handful of times because of the same reason, they never received my paperwork when I did turn it in. For my state California I just had to reapply. It was a pain in the butt, but whenever I got that denial letter I went to the office and reapplied again. Hopefully it is a lot easier for you and they can sort everything out.
#815 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
I don't mind waiting, I'm just not sure if I should use the gas to go out there. I just got paid today and it's either spend some and go out there but risk not being able to cover the cost of dc without aid or just save it all to use for dc. Without aid, the full week of dc is around $260 for my ds. I'm not even sure how much my paycheck is. I still have to go pick it up.
Have you tired looking around for a less expensive daycare? Before I got on dc aid (not state aid) I was paying $130 a week for my ds.
#816 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM

After three very long phone calls, I've been told I have to wait for them to contact me. But on the upside my mom has offered to pay half of one week for dc so I just have to put in the other half. After all this fuss, I'm not even sure how much my paycheck is.

- - - -
#817 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
When i do my recerification for fs/medical etc i physically go into the office and sit there (all day long) and meet with a person. ive learned the hard way a phone interview or fax/mail gets screwed up and cancelled. in person and a wasted day is so much better cuz it gets approved right then and there.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#818 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I used to do that too zebra.

Ran a couple errands with hubby today while kiddos were at my parents. Got school supplies for the kiddos. I have plans for a few more things but overall I think I will have spent around eighty bucks on both kids. Not too shabby considering Im including refilling printer ink, a membership to an online homeschooling curriculum and a ten dollar workbook. Im sure I will have to refill the printer again and I know I have a few items I will buy later for science experiments but Im happy.

Gratefuls- I was able to repaint my chalkboard table today with a borrowed paintbrush
Popcorn popper from freecycle!
While the pantry isnt overflowing we still have plenty
Hubby working overtime
#819 of 1272 Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gratefuls:

We got our WIC farmers market coupons this week!

There is an urban farm sort of near us that runs a CSA type program just for people on food stamps-- you pay by the month and pick up weekly-- and it has been awesome. Especially since I figured out how to make corn on the cob in the microwave.

And I'm thankful that I live someplace with pretty good public transit. Our lives would definitely be easier if we had a car (especially when it comes to dragging the laundry a half mile to the laundromat) but we definitely cannot afford one right now.

I just turned in my pay stubs and other documents to the welfare office this week. I have a midwife appointment in a couple of weeks and I hope they can figure out a way to work with me-- I seriously doubt the state will have processed my Medicaid application by then.

Next stop: the gas bill...
#820 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
heyxxmcfly - I hope you get everything sorted out quickly. I know what a pain it is but I agree with zeb and the others that going into the office is usually the best (if not only) way to get them to work and process the app. It's great that your mom can help with the day care though!

happyhats - That's amazing with the homeschool stuff! I haven't done too badly this year but did spend more than that. Honestly most of what I got could have been avoided if we got it from the library but our local library isn't great and it's a long trip to get there too so it can be costly in gas. I really considered doing Oak Meadow if we got the money for it but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it yet. Maybe next year.

sally - That's great news about the CSA. There isn't anything like that in my state. Here WIC gets picked up at a location and is a box of set items. You get choices in certain types of items but that's about as good as it gets. Your set up sounds awesome!

I got out and paid bills today. The bank account is seriously down from what it was this morning but all of the bills that needed to be paid this week are done. I'm not sure what else we really have planned while dh is here but I hope it doesn't end up coming out to much money.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#821 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM

Things suck around here. We are seriously drowning without fs to help with food. They keep denying us but dh was short 2 paychecks (vacation his work is closed and he wasn't paid because had to be there a year first). I didn't pay the house payment so I can keep the lights on and food on the table. Hoping fs application goes in and is processed fast. Normally,my part time job is what I pay for child care and food but my check was $28 for 2 weeks since I am on call and no work. Oh well gotta keep swimming.

Gratefuls- appt coming up Friday to see the baby and check on it for first time.

Hanging out with a old friend at the park and having a cheap lunch he's buying for us.

*Emi* excuse typos!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#822 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
heyxxmcfly - I agree, go in the office if you can. The only other way I've found that works as well is if you can do it all online {some states allow it} & submit the paperwork online. Then it's all time & date stamped. In my state, the online system bypasses the local caseworkers & goes to a clearing house where they have actually competent workers!

Sally - That CSA sounds AWESOME. I've looked into stuff here, and ended up giving up. Everything cheap doesn't take SNAP

Happyhats {and any other homeschoolers} - there is a new facebook group for giving away homeschool stuff - "Homeschool Curriculum Free For Shipping". Worth trying to see if you can score what you need. And I've recommended them before on here, but I'll plug them again - The Book Samaritan. Google for the website, and it has the address to send your request to. Takes a while, but you often can get what you need. We've used them in years past. Paperbackswap is a good source of homeschool stuff too. Thankfully I think we have just about everything we need for this year except for some science supplies. I'm working on gathering books for next year though - I've found it's better for me {and my finances} if I work ahead.

DD overslept this morning, so our free bus ride to downtown {and free day in downtown} is out - the free expo was from 10-12 . Debating if I want to pay bus fare to get down there, or just go browse around Walmart / HEB during the worst of the heat today. We are to hit 100 today {and the next 4 days} so going to be going lots of places to soak up free cool in the afternoons. I keep telling myself - only 5/6 more weeks until it starts cooling off! I can get through this.
#823 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Averysmama05....go see your worker in person with all the info....she may issue you an emergency month worth...
#824 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM

Mylie- my worker actually hates me for calling the ombudsman on her. I am not even sure we have a worker since we stopped getting them last year. I got a 2nd job and decided to stop jumping thru all the hoops but 2nd job ended in June when I found out I was pregnant. Our income is to high according to them every time we apply so we aren't approved for emergency anything. We fall between the cracks of being to poor to live but to much for asst unless we have a low month when we apply. Last I heard our county is 2-5 months behind processing applications and the usda is having a fit. We shall see. Our office is 45 mins away so I plan to go in the 6th when I go to that town for WIC.

*Emi* excuse typos!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#825 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Oh yeah- forgot the best grateful! My husband had a work party for one of their plants and the president of the company but his boss sent him home with 2 papa john pizzas, breadsticks and hot wings along with about 15-20 cupcakes. My sons birthday is Sunday so we celebrated early and had niece and nephews over to eat with us! Free party and son was super excited.

*Emi* excuse typos!

#826 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Sally - That CSA sounds AWESOME. I've looked into stuff here, and ended up giving up. Everything cheap doesn't take SNAP
I live in Philly which has the dubious honor of being the "poorest large city" in the US. There are up sides to that though-- like the fact that cashiers don't look at me sideways when I use my WIC checks because they're used to seeing them, almost all grocery stores and most corner stores take SNAP, and there are all kinds of programs to encourage people to spend SNAP dollars at farmers markets (here you get $2 in coupons for fruit and veggies for every $5 you spend at a farmers market). It's a great city for food.

Public education, though, not so much. Thank goodness we have a while before we have to worry about that.
#827 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Ive been using/looking at that fb site, frugalmama. I use the library a lot and we are pretty relaxed/unschooly. I also find things at garage sales-I got a nice microscope that way and some science experiment books.

Starting to get a little low on a few things, esp breakfast foods and fresh produce. Im making a double batch of banana bread tonight which will use up most of the butter. I pulled out a few cups of our blueberries and I might use the rest of the cherries for cherry lemonade. Im also debating hardboiling eggs since we have extra. Overall Im happy with our first time doing the monthly shop.
#828 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I need to cry with people who understand. Im exhausted, tired of fighting, tired of hurting, tired of everything.

Excuse me while i go cry in the corner.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#829 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Hugs zebra! I know how bad the horrible overwhelming tired of everything feeling sucks.

- - - -
#830 of 1272 Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Zeb I've been there. It's overwhelming and seems like it'll never end but it will. Things do get better I promise.

Tick tick ticking along here. More movie time with the hubby. Kinda miserable feeling and ucky. I had a small thing of Snuggle I'd ended up with and have been washing clothes in off and on. I'm apparently allergic and have been breaking out in random rashes and itchiness. It's miserable. I have a massive rash almost like a diaper rash from it being in the jeans I put on today. Ugh it's not pretty. I'm wearing the only thing in the house I was *sure* hadn't been washed in Snuggle and now I have to rewash every. single. thing. in my house tomorrow. Only then can I tell for sure if this Snuggle is the culprit or not. Ugh sometimes being sensitive really stinks.

#831 of 1272 Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Gratefuls:

70$ refund from the dr., (not sure what for but I will take the check!)

DP and my 2 kiddos went to eat last night at applebees, they forgot DP's meal so while it was 10 minutes late...it was FREE!

Minivent that you ladies will not judge about. I let one of my newer, ubber christian friends know I am moving in with my DP, and she sends a single text back... "Wow". Nothing more for 3 hours. I had tried being friends with her over the winter and had to take a break because of her controlling ways and I knew she would disaprove. I am kinda sad, I really enjoy expanding my circle and ironically one of my newest members is the most judgemental...My DP's parents are super supportive, as well as DP's brother, all very devout Christians, my workplace (church) friends are not shunning me, and my oldest and dearest Christian friends hasn't thrown me out either. I am not even going to delve into the meaning of her 'wow' text, heck even my exdh is fine with me moving in with DP! Just wish people would be less judgemental...
#832 of 1272 Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM

@kindofcrunchy82 That sucks. It is really hard to find good friends especially ones you can relate to. I have had judgmental friends like that before and it didn't work out well.

Same old same old over here. Nothing new. Gotta run a few errands tomorrow then we hope to spend the day swimming at the lake with the kids.

#833 of 1272 Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We got a huge hit this last week. The local police chief doesn't much care for us, and we let the yard get a little out of control. We'd just spent a full week working on it, and the lawn hadn't gotten mowed for just over a week. He sent the city to mow our lawn to the tune of $375. Then they ended up mowing over our backyard garden, destroying it.
At the same time, both my hours and DH's hours were cut this last month, so we are scrambling to tighten the belt as it is. Plus, DS just had an eye surgery and DD is scheduled for an oral surgery next month (both congenital issues). We are really trying not to stress, since my parents will help as needed, but still...

On the upside, we've been getting bountiful baskets (seriously, check it out!) and I'm working the farmer's market. Most of what I make (I sell breads and jams) is spent on produce, and one of the other vendors frequently gives me a bunch of extra that he just doesn't want to take home and hold. So I'm always busy making stuff.

This weekend, I made peach jam, peach pit jelly, sliced peaches, blueberry jam, blueberry-mint jelly, mango pit jelly, pickles, and canned green beans. We made fruit pizzas (with cinnamon and chocolate tortillas and cream cheese frosting, kiwi, plums, nectarines, lychee, mango & blueberries) for lunch. I have shredded brussel sprouts in olive oil to roast with meatloaf for tonight. I need to go through and check the rest of the fruits and can what needs to get taken care of. I found canning jars for just over $1/doz online (they are over $10/doz at the store), so I'm going to be getting them there from now on. Since I made so much of the jellies and jams, I have a bunch of stock to sell at the market.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#834 of 1272 Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I found canning jars for just over $1/doz online (they are over $10/doz at the store), so I'm going to be getting them there from now on.
Where did you find THAT?! Please tell!

That really sucks about the ticket though. City rules can be crazy!

#835 of 1272 Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

So weve decided to compromise with ourselves about homebuying. Late fall or early next year around tax time we plan to continue to rent but to move to a nicer, more expensive rental. We will have a garage and a yard. Then we can continue to save, plus pay off our car loan and student loans faster without worry over housing repair costs. And have a home we enjoy more.

Spent the evening at my parents and plan on spending the rest of the day doing a few errands around the house. My mom gave us another loaf of zuchinni bread. I threw it into the freezer until we finish up banana bread. I think I may hard boil eggs, give kids a bath, and do a clean out the fridge for dinner kinda night.
#836 of 1272 Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
So weve decided to compromise with ourselves about homebuying. Late fall or early next year around tax time we plan to continue to rent but to move to a nicer, more expensive rental. We will have a garage and a yard. Then we can continue to save, plus pay off our car loan and student loans faster without worry over housing repair costs. And have a home we enjoy more.

Spent the evening at my parents and plan on spending the rest of the day doing a few errands around the house. My mom gave us another loaf of zuchinni bread. I threw it into the freezer until we finish up banana bread. I think I may hard boil eggs, give kids a bath, and do a clean out the fridge for dinner kinda night.
Funny we've been talking about the house thing too and are leaning towards the other end. We've discussed doing something smaller to begin with to get out of our rental and then continue saving to get something better afterwards. We are in our current home until April of next year though so we have a while. In the meantime I'm working on trying to get rid of our stuff we don't need, pay off bills and save money. We'll see where we stand when the time comes I guess.

#837 of 1272 Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Well we could afford a housing payment right now, but it doesnt make much sense for us to go much lower because typically those homes need work. The only thing holding us back is the cost of housing maintence. Sure there is a chance absolutely nothing would break but its kinda slim. By renting I know I have that extra financial security for savings and complete debt repayment so homeowning wont be a burden at all.
#838 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 AM

That's always a good idea. That's why we're staying put where we are for a while so we can get bills tackled and save more money. We just moved into this rental a couple of months ago so we have almost a whole year here before we have to consider anything else. I have no idea what things will look like by then though.

#839 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

today was a good day. an expensive day but a good day. i finally feel like someone understands me.

#840 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Yay zebra! Sounds like money well spent! And crazyms weve been here six years (well four in our other apt, two here but same complex). We are on a month to month here.

Got most of the grocery list done. Our weekly ads dont come out until tomorrow to check for loss leaders or batter prices. We are waivering between 300 and 350 for food and household for a family of four. I think thats pretty good considering the lowest weve ever gone was around 400 groceries alone and the highest around 600.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page