2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

#841 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Forgot my ups and downs. Good-we got coupons from jcpenney. Hopefully hubby can use them for new shirts. Bad-thought I had more amazon credit than I do. I was going to be able to get printer ink free with points but it turned out it would only really be half price. I think Im going to let my points keep growing and just buy it at wm. I considered refurbished but keep hearing about how its not good for coupons which I like to print regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#842 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Happyhats - I don't know about your printer, but I use refurb inks in mine to print coupons & have no issues. Just make sure it's not set to draft or fast. I buy the office depot ones normally - if you watch they run good sales a couple of times a year. I also check for inks at thrift shops - our GW sells them for $2 and I've yet to get a bad one.

Still chugging along here. Still trying to get this electric bill paid. Gotta call another place tomorrow & hopefully they can pay $75 of it. I have it down to $96, so if they will pay $75 I can come up with the rest if I take a load of books to half price to sell I think.

Gearing up for back to school - getting everything together & making sure I have it all. Figured out a way to get dd a student ID without paying a ton for it - Office Depot will print it on heavy cardstock for $1, and then I will laminate with some laminating pouches I found for $2 at Walmart. Won't be as nice as the free one we had last year, but that company isn't doing the free ID's this year. Now I just need to save up for her bus pass - $35, but will take a load off since it covers from August thru December.
#843 of 1272 Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
We have to do the school supply count over here and see what we need too. Dh has left us again and it's pretty quiet around here tonight. I'm hoping we all get to sleep before long. Tomorrow we will be sitting around cleaning and hopefully decluttering. I need that sleep first so I can have some energy! Hoping for a few days of not spending money while I wait on dh's paycheck and getting the budget sorted out.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#844 of 1272 Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Where did you find THAT?! Please tell!

That really sucks about the ticket though. City rules can be crazy!
http://www.uline.com/BL_8192/Canning...s=mason%20jars
Be aware that a minimum order is 12 cases (1 doz/case) per size. So it's about a $20-30 minimum order. If you can split it up among a few people, that might work best.

<UPDATE> I got the order and despite checking the site multiple times before ordering, the price is for each JAR. I'm very unhappy with that and will be calling them in the morning to complain about how they have that page worded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
today was a good day. an expensive day but a good day. i finally feel like someone understands me.
That understanding, it is so vital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
We have to do the school supply count over here and see what we need too.
Hoping for a few days of not spending money while I wait on dh's paycheck and getting the budget sorted out.
School supplies... Gah! Didn't school just get out for the summer?!?
I just budgeted out until the end of February (yes, I do budget out that far and tweak as we go). We can pay bills until then, but there are tight spaces.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.

Last edited by Wolfcat; 08-03-2014 at 06:11 PM.
#845 of 1272 Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM

Checking in - net got cut this morning so I am at the library. The kindle I bought used a couple of months ago fell this afternoon & the screen shattered I swear I just can't win lately.

Agency I called today for electric bill help never called me back. Going to try calling them again tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I know a place that is open Friday that might help but they will only pay the last $60. Thinking I'm probably going to have to call on Friday & get another extension if I can.

Gratefuls:

~Plenty of food in the house
~bus drivers have been letting us ride free mostly
~sold a used Sonlight IG on ebay this afternoon - will go towards bills as soon as they pay.

Me, 30 single mama to T age 8 We and Love it!
#846 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Can I weart tie-dye to an interview?

I have a pretty fabulous interview tomorrow, for a state level policy-making job in my field - children's mental health. I would pretty much sell my soul for this job, but...

My best looking outfit is a charcoal pant suit that looks really great with a black and blue silk tie-dye t-shirt. If I wear that, I have the perfect accessories. It is really quite elegant. But this job is at the state capitol; a very conservative environment. I have an OK rose colored blouse that would be more, well, understated. I would probably wear pearls with that - demure. For anyone that knows me, it is hardly my natural style! I am happy to save the tie-dye for after I am hired - I don't need this opportunity to express my individuality, but I know I look great in that outfit. And self-confident.

WWYD?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#847 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM

Mamarhu - I love tie-dye too, but I would probably pick the more conservative outfit. Just to be on the safe side.

#848 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I really would not wear it but my image of that shirt maybe off as I can not imagine tie die not being loud/bright-can you link something similar for a better opinion?
#849 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 03:39 PM

Id probably go rose as well, also because of it being more tshirt cut. I hope it works out!

Awesome deal on the jars! I havent gotten into canning yet but I could use these for pantry and freezer storage and pretty jar gifts. Hmmmm. I think I will see how successful/expensive yardsaling is tomorrow and ask my sister if shed like to split some.

Did about half of the grocery shopping today. Didnt do toooo badly. Ive got a chicken in my crockpot for dinner and to shred. I schucked about sixty ears of corn yesterday and now my chest freezer is overflowing with the stuff-theres a big grateful.
#850 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Id go with the boring plain shirt for the interview.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#851 of 1272 Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 PM

@Wolfcat Yep! School just got out and it's already that time again. I also budget out for 6 months at a time to make sure we'll stay on track with short and longer term goals.
@mamarhu I'd probably do the rose as well. It's calmer and more conservative which could make a difference in the interview.
@frugalmama I hope something gets figured out soon with the light bill. That's great about the bus driver letting you ride free though!
@happyhats Chicken in the crockpot and an overflowing freezer sounds awesome!

Not much new here. Just cooking our way through the pantry right now and lots of cleaning and decluttering. We're planning a camping trip when dh comes back in so I want to be ready before he gets home. Lots to do before then though.

#852 of 1272 Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The rose one sounds like a better choice, but I really want to see a picture of your tie-dye shirt. The idea that tie-dye looks good with a conservative suit sounds really interesting!
#853 of 1272 Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM

So far yardsaling and a productive day. Im sure I will be going to bed early tonight! My mom insisted on buying my daughters bike for me at five dollars. She also insisted on buying a box of boxes I scored from the church booksale- magazines and a couple books for myself, four new coloring books for the kids and countless educational and work books for 8.50. Out of my own pocket I bought bath and body works scrub and shower gel nip, a muffin tin, a few movies and books for the kids, grow with me skates, and a math puzzle for under ten dollars. Ive managed to cook some beans for freezer burritos, wash and hang laundry, and pay the rent so far.
#854 of 1272 Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I followed the unanimous advice, and wore the rose colored shirt. I think the interview went pretty well - I expect to hear within a week if I am called back for a 2nd interview. Oy!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#855 of 1272 Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Good luck Mamarhu!! I really hope you get it

As for me, Ive been working my booty off lately. I picked up a shift today from 8-430 and I feel like I'm ready to sleep for a hundred years. But on the plus side thats about $80 that I didn't have before. Hopefully I can get a fairly decent pay check. I'd really like to be able to start saving. I have about $6 to my name currently
My little man is loving the new daycare though so I can't complain too much.
I hope everyone is doing okay. I'm sending out lots of good vibes!!

- - - -
#856 of 1272 Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just popping in to say hello and let you guys know that I'm reading but not responding much. My computer well and truly crapped out on me so I'm left with my phone. Hope august is a good month for everyone.
#857 of 1272 Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Just popping in to say hello and let you guys know that I'm reading but not responding much. My computer well and truly crapped out on me so I'm left with my phone. Hope august is a good month for everyone.

Oh, I know that is a pain to try to use the phone to write. Does this mean no more *s? I will miss that personal touch!

#858 of 1272 Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
So far yardsaling and a productive day. Im sure I will be going to bed early tonight! My mom insisted on buying my daughters bike for me at five dollars. She also insisted on buying a box of boxes I scored from the church booksale- magazines and a couple books for myself, four new coloring books for the kids and countless educational and work books for 8.50. Out of my own pocket I bought bath and body works scrub and shower gel nip, a muffin tin, a few movies and books for the kids, grow with me skates, and a math puzzle for under ten dollars. Ive managed to cook some beans for freezer burritos, wash and hang laundry, and pay the rent so far.
That's a really productive day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
Thanks, ladies! Yes, I followed the unanimous advice, and wore the rose colored shirt. I think the interview went pretty well - I expect to hear within a week if I am called back for a 2nd interview. Oy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
Good luck Mamarhu!! I really hope you get it

As for me, Ive been working my booty off lately. I picked up a shift today from 8-430 and I feel like I'm ready to sleep for a hundred years. But on the plus side thats about $80 that I didn't have before. Hopefully I can get a fairly decent pay check. I'd really like to be able to start saving. I have about $6 to my name currently
My little man is loving the new daycare though so I can't complain too much.
I hope everyone is doing okay. I'm sending out lots of good vibes!!
It's nice you found a new daycare he likes. Those extra shifts are always good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
I'm gonna miss the * keys too. It was cute.

#859 of 1272 Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Checking in from the library again They are having a end of summer fest today so dd is happily sitting in the puppet show after getting her face painted.

Never got a call back from the agency, even after calling again. So I ended up calling the city office, and we have an appointment for Monday. Was hoping not to deal with them - they were very rude last time since I'm self-employed but can't produce letters/check stubs from the folks I get paid from {I sell on ebay, and my buyers are global}. I offered to bring a notarized statement & copies of my bank statements but last time that wasn't good enough for them. Good news is the city office should pay it all, and maybe my water bill too hopefully. I might can even get into the plumbing program again to fix my leaky faucets {3}, the loose toilet, and the mystery pipe leak in the half bath. That would be nice! I am tired of having to remember to empty the drip buckets twice a day.

Sick today...perfect storm of missed medication, lack of sleep & then a autoimmune flare on top of it. Taking it very easy today.

Gratefuls:

~Public library with lots of computers to use
~free stuff to go to where we can enjoy a/c. Next week we get to go to the children's museum free as part of a back to school bash sponsored by the local PBS station. DD is super excited.
~Found lots of clearance at the grocery store last night that ended up being free or pennies after coupons. Going today to another location to see if I can find more freebies.
~We have everything we need for homeschooling this fall - got the last thing off Amazon with a gift card. Couldn't find picture clips locally & we needed them to hang our maps & posters.

#860 of 1272 Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Warm and friendly thoughts to all.

I have been super busy. Besides the job interview, full time work, my kids an Mom's needs, and regular life, we suddenly became a host family for an exchange student from Taiwan! I applied to this program months ago, filled out some forms, interviewed, and never heard from them again. I thought I didn't qualify for the program, and didn't give it another thought. Then I got an email last Monday that my student would be arriving Thursday, and here is the flight info! It took some major scrambling, but we pulled it together. Now we are all getting used to each other. He is a very nice guy, but it is a bit awkward with an extra person in the house. His English is very low, so communication is a challenge, but with lots of patience and laughter from all sides we are getting by. I confess, I am doing this partly for the money, and it is certainly welcome. But I needed to spend a bunch of it on decent bedding and a fan for his room. With food and gas (I will have to drive him to school every day), we will just about break even this month. This is only a one month summer program, but another starts in September for the school year. New kid, probably from Eastern Europe this time! It is all very exciting, but boy, am I busy!

Gratefuls:

My sister and I were talking last night, and we came to the conclusion that everyone in the extended family is doing well - all at once! for the first time ever. All the kids are settled, even the ones with disabilities are thriving beyond expectations, the aging and ill family members are stable and comfortable, and all of us in between are plugging along with no major drama or crisis. It may not last, but it is a good feeling while it lasts.

#861 of 1272 Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Aww mamarhu, yr post was very heartwarming. Idont know if I could open my home up to a stranger like that. Will u adopt me? Lol
#862 of 1272 Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just realized I have to buy 2 textbooks for kiddo this semester. The math book used is $150, hoping my amazon credits show up soon. I was able to get the photoshoppe book for $40 used on amazon.
Happy: gf pizza for dinner tonight and gf brownies! plus fresh fruit and salad tomorrow!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#863 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Checking in from the library again quickly.

Went to my appointment with the city agency for electric assistance this morning, and they are going to pay not only the $96 that was the remainder of the disconnect, but they are also going to pay this months bill as well. Couldn't get water bill help though - they now have a rule only 1 program per appointment. Makes no sense to me, but hey I can deal with it. I have another place I can try for the water bill once I actually get the disconnect. Hoping I can finally get a handle on these bills - this will give me about 2 months to get finances back under control & covering all the bills. Thankfully sweater season should start up soon, and then I can get enough income coming in to have a little savings I think.

Going to have a yard sale on Thursday & Friday to raise funds to turn my net back on, then I will downgrade the speed to the cheap plan. Won't let me downgrade it unless the bill is current. My laptop is getting so bad that for most things it works better to use the library PC's anyway, so no point in paying for fast net with a ultra slow computer. Maybe if I do that I can try to put away the difference towards a new laptop or a tablet.

*hugs* to everyone.

#864 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

feeling that deep darkness starting to take over again. ugh. dont want to do anything but stay in bed. I havent 'felt' depressed in a very long time. I do not want to go down this path again. do i give in for a day or two or do i try to fight it right from the start. all i want to do is go lay down.

#865 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Zebra (or is that *ebra?) I wish you were nearby - I would invite you over for a glass of wine, a comedy movie, a pity party, a pizza, a slumber party, or whatever I could think of to cheer you up. Yes, I know depression is virtually impervious to "cheering up", but I would want to try. I have been there. For me, St. John's Wort was near magic, but I bet you have tried that.

Even if we can't directly help, know you have a bunch of friends out here.

I can't seem to make the smilies work, but I am sending a group hug.

#866 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Lots of HUGS Zebra !!!
#867 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 PM

frugalmama - Glad you got the electric bill taken care of!

mamarhu - That's awesome about the exchange student. Sounds very exciting!

zebra - Depression does suck. I've battled with it off and on (more on than off) for years myself. No real words of advice but lots of hugs and thoughts going your way. It gets easier I promise. BTDT.

No real update here. DH's truck broke down yesterday and my van needs some work done too. We got the part and fixed dh's truck though and I'm getting the work done to the van. I'm trying to get cleaning and decluttering done around here but I just haven't had the energy. Strange that I've felt like I wanted to but just couldn't actually do it. It occurred to me though that I usually have a pretty high level of caffeine intake and haven't had any in over two weeks though and I think it's messed up my energy levels. I got a soda against my better judgment and I'm hoping it'll bring more energy to get something done. We'll see...

#868 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Big hugs Zebra!

Things are so very crazy here. Ive been getting scheduled crazy hours at work and today I was 2.5 hours EARLY. The manager let me stay for the extra time but I'm so very worn out. Hopefully this paycheck will be quite a bit bigger than the last one. DS and I went to have dinner with his dad, and I just about broke my heart when we had to leave and DS kept crying and crying for "his GaGa." I cant wait till he doesnt have to go home at the end of the night. My parents -hate- him so he dosnt get to come around where we stay.
But! I'm off to bed because I get to do it all again tomorrow. I found out today that I work at the busiest cvs pharm in the Missouri and Illinois area. D:

- - - -
#869 of 1272 Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM

So much love headed yr way Zebra. Hexyxxmcfly any way you and he could move in together, even as roommates?

Remember crazy neighbor? Well shes still kooky, and dd still thinks Im the bad guy bc she cannot visit often. But she did find a bike dd can use next year on the curb a street over. Of course I had to hear the story about how a new neighbor is threatening her but my daughter lives the bike and petting the dog.

I actually popped in because I know we have a few low income moms that are gluten free. IAmThatLady.com made a meal plan for 25 gluten free meals under 150 at aldis. I wanted to put that out there in case it could help. She has a few other low priced aldi meal plans as well but this one seemed especially valuable to a couple mamas here.
#870 of 1272 Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
*ebra, hugs. I love you so much I took the time to put the * instead of just typing your name. if you need to chat, you've got my email.

Heyxxmcfly, I second happpyhats. A roommate situation might solve your problem. Its got to be hard to hear your son so sad.

Crazyms, I hope you get things sorted out. I can't survive without caffeine.

Frugalmama, I know you are struggling to survive right now but I for one think you are doing a great job. Being poor is a juggling act in finances and food and help resources. And you seem like you've got it down pat.

My temporary cna license came Monday. I can finally apply for jobs. I'm finding that no one wants to give me first shift though which is not good. There aren't any second shift daycare centers in my state and I'm a single mom so I don't have the luxury of a partner at home to help with the kids. PLUS, my ex just got notice that he's being sent for 3 weeks of training next month. Then he calls he saying he might be in a class starting August 18th. That's the military for you. They don't care how hard that indecision and short notice makes my life.
Gratefuls:
-karate class is on the beach today. My kids are totally psyched.
-I can finally apply for jobs.
-delicious wonderful beverage called coffee.
-Bills are all paid and accounted for this month.
-we were able to afford some fresh produce to supplement foods pantry supplies.
-it's berry season here in New England! Raspberries and blackberries are everywhere right now and we've made raspberry jam and frozen about a gallon of them. I think they eat more than they pick though ans that's okay too. I can't complain when it's healthy, organic, and free. It's not like we can afford them in the store anyway. Can't wait for concord grapes next month!

Tags
Frugality , Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page