2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 32 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

#931 of 942 Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Welcome, mumm!
Im losing more crunchy points for sitting here drinking a mt dew but hey, my headache is almost gone. We are having a cars day today. Daddy is going to pop the trunk to show them how a car runs before he goes to work. We are watching cars movies and reading some cars books.
#932 of 942 Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Happyhats....What do you do with corn cob broth? I am intriqed...lol
#933 of 942 Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Just use it in place of veggie or chicken broth/stock. Im using some tonight in place of chicken stock for potato soup. I also made chicken veggie soup for the freezer. It tastes a touch different of course but I like it.
#934 of 942 Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Welcome mumm!
I'm still scooting along. Work today was awful but it really really makes it worth it when I remember I am going to make about 300$ this week after tax ( give or take).
There's been some drama with ds's dad. I'm really hoping it gets fixed tho. I'd love to be able to just rent an apartment and solve all our problems. But I need to make about $400 more a month D:

Completely un related, does anyone have advice for cutting a little boy's hair? Ds's hair is getting in his eyes and the dc wont let us put pins in it.

treehugger.gif ~*~ caffix.gif ~*~ fambedsingle1.gif ~*~ babyboy.gif(02/12)~*~ reading.gif ~*~ ribbonorange.gif ~*~lurk.gif~*~ OCD ~*~ asl.gif

Single mom, 20 years old, Hippie& Happy, Love To Cook

#935 of 942 Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
Happyhats....What do you do with corn cob broth? I am intriqed...lol
Corn cob jelly - yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
Completely un related, does anyone have advice for cutting a little boy's hair? Ds's hair is getting in his eyes and the dc wont let us put pins in it.
I invested in an electric hair clippers (buzz cutter) about 5 years ago. It makes getting everyone's hair done so easy. DS does a mohawk; DD usually gets a trim, but she's rocking a long mohawk right now; DH gets a high'n'tight, though the kids nominated him for the purple mohawk challenge, so that could be changing soon. I cut everyone's hair once every couple months (I don't cut my hair since I bind and cover it 90% of the time).

Despite all my planning, we went overdrafted on our account this week. We should be caught back up by this time next week, but we'd been doing so well it is a real bummer.

Both the kids have had surgeries in the last month, and next week we are driving all over the state for follow-up visits. It's going to be exhausting (not taking off work, just working around the schedules), but I'm mostly worried about gas expenses. We should be able to do it. I will be happier if I do well at the farmer's market again (been doing $40-60 the last couple of weeks), so as to have the cash.

We got 25 lbs of tomatos and I've already used half in a super-yummy pasta sauce recipe. I'm using another 5 lbs for salsa this weekend, and canning the rest as chunks and seedless. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make another batch of tomato preserves...

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#936 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 AM

So this has been a crazy week for me. Dyed my hair blue on Sunday on a whim (bought dye the night before). And now a trip out of town on a whim. Hubby has four days off and we have talked and talked about visiting kansas city for its aquarium and lego zone. So hubby called me tonight and said he had looked up prices and we could swing it. Ive never taken a last minute trip. Crazy! Tomorrow Im packing, making a few snacks for the road, etc.
#937 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Interesting news on the financial front here is that DD, 19, got a job! She is not the fast food or retail type, so I was unsure how she would ever get any work experience. Plus, until last year, she had major social anxiety, so much that we homeschooled since 3rd grade or so. So this is a big deal in many respects. She is working about 30 hours a week as a proctor for adults - real estate, insurance, cosmetology state tests, things like that. I am so proud of her! But the bad news is that the hours are truly rotten, She either starts at 7:30 AM, or gets off at 10:30 PM (not both the same day of course). Our city is known for good public transportation, but the connections are difficult between home and this job, so the trip of 5 miles is an hour and a half. If I don't take her in the AM, she would have to leave at 6 AM. She takes night classes at the community college, so there would be times she would get home after 10, and have to leave at 6. Ugh! Alternately, when she works the night shift, she would be waiting for a bus in a truly rotten neighborhood. And transferring in another just as bad. So, as it stands, I am driving one way about 4 days a week. She can use the bus for the mid-day trip either way, but I am not pleased with either 7 AM or 10:30 PM taxi service.

But the real dilemma is whether or not to charge her rent. I really don't want to, but money is pretty tight around here. She is saving for college (after the relatively cheap community college) and that is important. YoungSon in high school doesn't pay rent, and on one level, neither should she. Also, she is a major help around the house, doing far more than her share of housework, and even helping with grocery money at the end of the month. Also, I think it would be hard on our relationship to charge her rent. He brother was very high needs as a little one, and I had foster kids for years, as well as my grandchildren for a while. She always did more than a sister would be expected to help the house run smoothly, and I would like to "repay" her.

I am writing this out as a way to think about it, and I would welcome any input. I don't need to make any firm decision today or anything, but I think I need to talk with her soon if I am going to ask her for rent.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#938 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would wait it out and see if she brings it to the table. If not in a few checks time bring up her plans long term/go over budgeting just in general of how it is to live life. Show her what comes in and what needs to be paid/how it is different in the winter and summer! If you have shut off notices that is different but if not I would leave it be. Does she go grocery shopping with you to see the costs of items-I know to many who did not take their teens shopping like that and they seem to have a lot more issues when they had to buy own stuff. I feel I was lucky to have gone over the years.
#939 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rhu, how would you feel about sitting down with her and figuring out an affordable amt based off her income for rent? Factor in travel expenses and such. She's an adult now and should be able to do adult things like pay bills and do a budget. If the standard 30% seems too high based off her other expenses and needs or what she does in the home, lower it. But I think she should at least contribute a small amt since she's an adult who is working. All home chores can be negotiable between the 3 of you.
#940 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Wolfcat, you are seriously my preserving hero. I love you. I to share my heartbreak with you since i know you'll get it. My best reliable source for wild concord grapes that always yielded like 50lbs or more is gone. The vines were ripped out this year. mature beautiful vines. I'm devastated.
#941 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Oh and happpyhats, enjoy your trip. It sounds awesome. You are going to have a blast.
#942 of 942 Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM

mamarhu, does your daughter know the extent of your financial issues? Is there a chance shes unaware? Id probably start off by sitting down and having a frank heart to heart. Tell her how you dont want to take but these are your needs and issues. It sounds like she is mature and compassionate. She may feel helpless or be unaware, or both. I know at nineteen I still thought my parents wouldnt ever need MY help lol.

Ive been having some anxiety issues and mini attacks this week. Valerian and I are friends. I hope this trip away can really recharge everyone. Im almost done packing. I just need a few things that have to wait til bedtime or tomorrow morning (toothbrushes etc). Im making pumpkin breakfast cookies for the road. Im also bringing some sea life books to read before and after the aquarium trip and workbooks to stave off boredom (my dd likes those little woribooks from the dollar tree and we wont have our chalkboard table or anything).

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page