2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 39 - Mothering Forums

2014 Low Income Support Thread

sillysapling's Avatar sillysapling
02:44 PM Liked: 3056
#1141 of 1278
10-24-2014 | Posts: 890
Applied to the scary mommy thanksgiving help. Our savings are getting to the point that we'll qualify for food stamps... so we'll have to deal with that. :/ DP and I have appointments at hte local low cost clinic, which had a waiting list for adult patients. I applied to have my medical records transferred there so I hope that they'll have it by then. I'm really hoping that they'll be able to help me figure out how to get medicaid for my disability and such.

Everyone is sick. Somehow kiddo managed to catch it first, despite not being in daycare or anything like that. He's getting better, but the adults are sick and I still have to go to work. My knee is on the brink of giving out. I really hate that no one was willing to do any tests or try to diagnose it when I actually had insurance. The rheumatologist wouldnt' even look at it even though I knew it was separate from my fibro. :| People (doctors, nurses, physical therapists, etc) keep saying it might be arthritis but apparently whatever test/whatever is required to diagnose it is out of the question. Really sick of doctors having that stupid "you're too YOUNG to be disabled!" mindset. I think it's just the sick- the inflammation in my wrist is flaring up, too, not surprised my knee is swelling up as well.

For some reason I feel like things are going to be okay. I'm guessing it's the fever talking.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
07:20 PM Liked: 684
#1142 of 1278
10-24-2014 | Posts: 1,588
Thinking of everyone and praying for a warm winter for everyone...

Been at the new job for a couple weeks...its going okay...its hell on my hands and arthritis but I wont give up...I got my 1st paycheck today...Just in time for my 1st daycare Bill....lol....oh well...

Other than working just trying to rest and spend as much time with my kiddo as I can...

Gratefuls....

My home
My L
Ibuphrophen
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
08:34 PM Liked: 129
#1143 of 1278
10-24-2014 | Posts: 1,153
Mylie - I am praying for a warm winter too, but starting to prep & weatherize my house just in case. I'm worried about heating for this winter - we have 1 working space heater now. The 2nd one sorta works, but I wouldn't trust it without someone in the room at all times. The gas oven, which I used for heat last winter {and did a lot of baking}, is flexing / popping when I use it so I am being a lot more careful. Do you have a coat for your little one this winter? I think I remember you needing one last winter & my dd being a size up from yours. Let me know & I may have something for you.

SillySapling - I know that "you're too young to be disabled" only too well. My pcp won't even look at my joint issues because she says I'm too young to have joint problems {I just turned 30}, and it's all related to my weight. Nevermind the fact that I've been dealing with this since I was 14 and much much lighter. I'm pretty sure it's Fibro or RA, but can't get anyone to actually look & run the tests needed. I have a question about the supplements you listed - do you find you get nausea with the Vit. D? I am chronically low in Vit D & supposed to take a high dose daily, but whenever I take any dose I get extreme non-stop nausea within a week or so until I stop taking it.

Zebra - Hugs to you as well.

Justmama - I know that feeling too. I am feeling like sitting & crying tonight myself on account of only making $27 at my yard sale today {normally I do around $100} and one of my signs was stolen halfway through. Was counting on that money for bills & bus fare.

So tired, debating even having the yard sale tomorrow. Guess I will - I need to try to make a bit more $$ if possible. Especially since my daughter found a dog today & wants desperately to keep it, which will require supplies I am praying the owner shows up, but if not then I guess we might have just gotten a basset hound. Did I mention that I detest dogs? And especially detest hound dogs? I will admit she seems very loyal to my daughter, and very well behaved, but it's still a DOG.

Gratefuls:
~My neighbors son moved in the rental on the other side of her. He is a drunk & S*B who I can't stand, but has 2 wonderful stepsons age 14 & 11 who have been helping me with my yard work & other odd jobs in trade for odds & ends & a little cash. They are good kids for the most part, though a little rough around the edges due to their home life.
~Just enough to cover what we need. We can make it as long as I am careful.
~A local festival to take my daughter to on Sunday. She gets to trick or treat at the booths, and they have the local grocery chain giving out free snacks, so we only need pay bus fare.
~The neighbor's granddaughters who are here for 1 more week. They are practically my surrogate kids I miss them so much when they are with their mom 5 hours away. The older one is 10 going on 25 in attitude, and it's nice to have someone to talk to. She also helps me out with stuff around the house in exchange for cooking lessons, since her mom can apparently burn water.
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 (TS)
11:25 PM Liked: 2767
#1144 of 1278
10-25-2014 | Posts: 4,766
Ummmmm excuse me,,,, when did ground chuck become $6/lb and im not talking organic or anything. UGH... Just a bit cranky about the grocery store visit today.
Happy news is I got the email from ScaryMommy and the gift card was approved and should be on the way soon.
I am realizing my kiddo is super skinny,, his pants from last year are TOO BIG, took him to kohls tonight and he got 2 new 'cool weather' outfits, which means long jeans and long sleeve shirts. He goes to night classes on campus and the school keeps the a/c running and he gets cold so it was time to get clothes that fit.

hoping for a better, less expensive tomorrow
mumm's Avatar mumm
06:22 AM Liked: 194
#1145 of 1278
10-26-2014 | Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
Our savings are getting to the point that we'll qualify for food stamps... so we'll have to deal with that. :/

I just applied for SNAP and asked right up front about savings rather than waste everyone's time. It is no longer considered. They just look at income. I tried to find something online to back that up and a quick google search only showed me info about NY but I'm pretty sure it is a federal program and the rules should be the same across the board. Just FYI. Good luck.
Polliwog's Avatar Polliwog
07:37 AM Liked: 1739
#1146 of 1278
10-26-2014 | Posts: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I just applied for SNAP and asked right up front about savings rather than waste everyone's time. It is no longer considered. They just look at income. I tried to find something online to back that up and a quick google search only showed me info about NY but I'm pretty sure it is a federal program and the rules should be the same across the board. Just FYI. Good luck.
Actually, the guidelines vary by state.
11:45 AM Liked: 3056
#1147 of 1278
10-26-2014 | Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
This. My state does consider it, if you have more than $2k then you don't qualify.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats
02:41 PM Liked: 129
#1148 of 1278
10-27-2014 | Posts: 1,278
I have a love hate relationship with my apt. The toilets keep clogging, half the stove doesnt work, the porch light has been broken for months, and the ac freezes constantly in the summer. And now roaches have started appearing. Bah. I keep my house clean so I dont know where theyve come from other than the free furniture we got. But I cleaned, disinfected and aired it out. On the plus side they are willing to come bomb sometime this week. But weve got to leave for three hours and take the cat.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
07:55 AM Liked: 2373
#1149 of 1278
10-28-2014 | Posts: 1,190
I hope things start looking up for everyone soon. I am glad to see that so many have gotten signed up for the Thanksgiving and Holiday helpers. The one here should be coming up soon but I haven't seen anything yet. So sorry to hear about all the bad luck going around.

silly - Broken cars are awful. We have been doing repairs on mine for a while now. It's an ongoing process
rhu - So sorry to hear about everything but most especially your mom. I hope she and your family can get all the support you need during this time.
happyhats - Our rental is like that too. Mostly a great thing since it's more private/safer than others we've seen and one of the cheapest also. The little things here and there are making me crazy though like no oven, leaking toilet, etc.

Things are moving along here. I'm finally starting to feel a little better. My anxiety has really been kicking up lately and I've been feeling more down than usual. Maybe the holidays coming up? I think where I live is really getting to me more than usual. We took a trip and found a place we're trying to buy in the area we wanted to move to. We should know if it's ours or not within a week. I think spending some time away just made this place seem that much worse. There have been a lot more break ins than usual around here lately and people are really starting to freak out. My mom's got broken into last night. She hasn't slept at all.
12:31 PM Liked: 129
#1150 of 1278
10-28-2014 | Posts: 1,278
yeah, looking to move is a double edged sword, right? On one yand it helps figure out whats in our area invour price range, on the other hand it makes the urge to move all the stronger. The exterminators are foming thurs so thats one less thing to worry about. I really dont want to try moving until after the holidays but roaches are just the dealbreaker.
12:54 PM Liked: 129
#1151 of 1278
10-28-2014 | Posts: 1,278
on the plus side I just got a rare aldi coupon to use next weekend.
04:19 PM Liked: 2767
#1152 of 1278
10-28-2014 | Posts: 4,766
feeling down this afternoon. had a dr appt today and while it went ok, my panic and anxiety are off the charts. the dr called in some new meds so i will pick those up tonight and see what happens.
08:50 PM Liked: 2767
#1153 of 1278
10-28-2014 | Posts: 4,766
Now kiddo is sick and we are headed to urgent care tonight. when it rains it pours
thankful for state insurance. really thankful for the anxiety meds.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
01:47 AM Liked: 684
#1154 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,588
I just heard through another member who messaged an administrator that there isn't going to be Holiday Helper this year....

I dont know the why's but with all the changes that have happened?? I know there will be some disappointed people
08:14 AM Liked: 129
#1155 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,153
Mylie - No Holiday Helper? Yikes. Guess it's a good thing I signed dd up for Toys for Tots, though that is hit or miss on what you get. We saw kids last year getting brand new bikes, but all dd got was a board game, a book, and a bottle of dollar store nail polish

Zebra - Hope your little one is okay, and hope the new meds work well for you. And I hear you on the rising grocery costs - it's getting harder & harder to make our SNAP last the month Pretty sure we're going to have to start going to the food pantry once in a while, especially on months when all the neighbor kids are here because my grocery bill skyrockets.

Happyhats - your rental sounds like my house. Minus the roaches - I ordered stuff online from a pest control DIY place a few years back & got rid of them for good.

Chugging along here. Trying to get by & get done whats gotta be done. Spent yesterday foaming & caulking my windows - still have a fair bit to go but I can tell a difference already at night. Today is going to be a marathon laundry day I think - DD is running out of clean pants that fit. That girl is growing like a weed.

Trying to figure out what to do for X-mas - I got next to nada put back, no way to shop unless it's online, and no cash to spend. DD really wants a bike, and needs one pretty badly, but just not sure how that is going to work. Even if I could afford a new one or found a decent one at a thrift shop, I have no way to get it home on the bus without help. Plus I need gifts for the 2 neighbor girls who are almost my kiddos - I know what I'm doing for the oldest one {gift basket of makeup, girly stuff, and the like which I can get with coupons} but not sure for the other one. She is at that odd age {9} where she likes little girl stuff but also teen stuff, and I'm not sure which way to go.

Gratefuls:
~The neighbor girls are here for 1 more week before they go to their mom's for a month.
~Thrift shops
~Neighbor boys who are teaching my dd that boys can be nice & friends.
~Was able to bless some others locally with clothes & books my dd outgrew.
mumm's Avatar mumm
09:24 AM Liked: 194
#1156 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Sorry. It is a federal program isn't it? I assumed the rules would be the same across the board. I think we've been approved (system is difficult to navigate so it isn't really clear yet) and we are living off of our savings.

I have time, advanced degrees, english is my first language and I'm familiar with the culture here and I'm finding it tough to weed my way through the system. I can't even imagine trying to do this under stress, extreme conditions, or without having a solid grasp of the language. And to try to get help without a permanent phone, address, computer access, etc must be impossible.
01:48 PM Liked: 129
#1157 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,278
Hoping for health for you and yr son, zebra!
Im sorry about the end of the holiday helper. Ive heard both good and bad about toys for tots, but never used them myself. I try to give across the board so I can help the most people-used toy drive, my hubbys angel tree when they do it, and a smqll item or two to toys for tots. New toys are pricey, I rarely buy new for my kids, so I cannot give the "nucer" items to toys for tots.

Starting to look at this months big grocery shop. I need to add in Thanksgiving needs too so its important to do as much comparison as I can. Otherwise nothing much going on here, just trying to get everything together for tomorrows outing/bombing.
03:16 PM Liked: 2767
#1158 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 4,766
Well the thought of no 'holiday helper' is going to hurt. being brutally honest there.
Kiddo has a sinus infection and asthma 'flare'.

Was semi produtive today, started with a dermatologist appointment, then called nintendo about a missing pacakge, then called and made an appointment to have my car window replaced tomorrow. Lunch was done, cleaned off part of the kitchen counters. Going to swiffer part of the living room and run the vacuum. Have a call into a plumber, we need a new garbage disposal asap- like tomorrow would be good.

kiddo has class tonight.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
04:58 PM Liked: 2373
#1159 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,190
happyhats - It is definitely a double edged sword. I think the biggest stress right now is not knowing for sure what's going on and being in limbo. Ugh. Good luck on the grocery shop. That coupon sounds great!

zebra - I hope your son is okay and good luck with your new meds.

frugalmama - Have you checked Craigslist for the bike? Or look on the local area buy/sell/trade pages on Facebook if you get on there. I've seen bikes in either place in nice condition for not much for kids. My daughter is 9 and the girls that age are definitely confusing. For mine this year she's asked for things like a password journal and one of those 18" friend dolls. She's big into whatever "big girl" stuff she can get her hands on like mp3 player, hair accessories or makeup or nail stickers. She also likes accessories like scarves and such. Peace signs and owls are really big things for the tween scene right now. A memory board (the fabric & ribbon covered cork board) might be a good idea or a ribbon/bow organizer for the wall. Scrapbook stuff too. Mine loves collecting just about anything so she likes the private space books or boxes for her goodies.

Wow no holiday helper this year?! That's sad. I was wondering why it hadn't shown up yet. I hope all the families that use it can find other assistance if they need it this year. That makes me really sad since that is the holiday assistance charity I actually used. I guess I get to do the hunt for decent charities again. Ugh.
06:50 PM Liked: 129
#1160 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 1,153
Crazyms - I haven't yet but I will. It's hard to go pick it up though with our lack of car. I did put a wish out on our local homeschool blessings group where folks give stuff away. It is hard on my dd's friend who is 9. I would say a journal would be great because she could maybe work out some of her anger issues, but she has issues with reading & writing so I'm not sure that would be good. I did discover tonight that she is Dr. Who crazy, so maybe something with that theme, but it needs to be portable / small since everything they own pretty much gets moved every month when they swap from mom to dad. Doesn't help that I know NADA about Dr. Who. Guess I will go pintrest hunting for something.

Happyhats - I need to work on a big grocery shop too.

Spent today cleaning & playing with my dd & the girls. Trying to get as much time with them before they go back to their mom on Saturday & it's just me & dd again for a month The older one is using my house as refuge from her grandparents - she is at that puberty stage where she is mad at the world, and especially her family. I try not to get into it, but at the same time be there if she wants to talk & try to get her to understand why they are doing things that way.
09:20 PM Liked: 3056
#1161 of 1278
10-29-2014 | Posts: 890
Trying to be calm.... But I hate this. This isn't the life I wanted. I don't know how to fix this. I could have gotten this job out of highschool. If I had, instead of going to college, I'd be earning more money now and wouldn't have the loan debt. Isn't that a lovely thought? I'd be better off if I hadn't gone to college.

I did everyone said you're supposed to do, and I'm still here.

Things are starting to ramp up for holiday shopping and I've realized that my workload is going to triple over the next 3 months while my pay is still pitiful. Being sick didn't help. Nothing like being terrified you're going to cough on a baby and end up killing it.
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu
07:57 AM Liked: 1363
#1162 of 1278
10-30-2014 | Posts: 3,067
[QUOTE=sillysapling;18164338]Trying to be calm.... But I hate this. This isn't the life I wanted. I don't know how to fix this. I could have gotten this job out of highschool. If I had, instead of going to college, I'd be earning more money now and wouldn't have the loan debt. Isn't that a lovely thought? I'd be better off if I hadn't gone to college.

I did everyone said you're supposed to do, and I'm still here.

This exactly. I don't know what happened to the American Dream, but hard work no longer equals success. It is discouraging. I work full time, have a degree, do a valuable job, and still live right at the poverty line.

I applied for 2 jobs yesterday. Either would pay pretty well, but be dreadful. I don't know whether to hope I get one or not.
03:03 PM Liked: 129
#1163 of 1278
10-30-2014 | Posts: 1,278
Hugs, both of you. Hows your mom, mamarhu? Hubby has a decent job now but it has nothing to do with what he went to school for. On the other hand without those student loans for a couple years we would have been homeless.

Bug bombing was today. To early to say how successful it was but at least they sent a professional. Now Im washing all my dishes and the kids are grumping because theyre tired. Thank goodness for leftovers!
04:07 PM Liked: 2767
#1164 of 1278
10-30-2014 | Posts: 4,766
Today was expensive, no way around it.
Car window replacement $359, side door
kitchen plumbing (garbage disposal, drain etc) $470.xx

yes I rent but the landlord and owner wont fix a plumbing issue or most other issues... most times its not an issue but the same week as a car issue... OMG...

Kiddo is feeling a bit better. Slow recovery and I hope this isn't a sign of how things are going to go with kiddo for the 'season'.

Grateful- working kitchen sink again and in turn a dishwasher that is useable again
GF pizza for dinner
kiddo feels well enough for class tonigh
going to get coffee and crochet while kid goes to math tonight
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
04:09 PM Liked: 684
#1165 of 1278
10-30-2014 | Posts: 1,588
Hugs to everyone!!! As we head into winter cold my prayers are for everyone to have their heating source secure...

I read just about everyday but haven't had much time or the energy to post...New job is going okay...It is a very physical job so by the time I get off I am exhausted and hurting...hopefully as I adjust that will decrease...I am very thankful for it anyways...

My gratefuls...
my warm home...
my sweet little L...
a job...
05:22 AM Liked: 3056
#1166 of 1278
10-31-2014 | Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
This exactly. I don't know what happened to the American Dream, but hard work no longer equals success. It is discouraging. I work full time, have a degree, do a valuable job, and still live right at the poverty line.

I applied for 2 jobs yesterday. Either would pay pretty well, but be dreadful. I don't know whether to hope I get one or not.
Yeah, I know... Everything just got so screwed up, and I hate how many people are so gleefully quick to leap into blaming poor people for just not working hard enough. I don't even know how to change things.

I've applied for a few jobs that I think I'd be decently happy with and that pay much better than this one, but I still haven't heard anything. The same thing happened when I was first putting out applications, the only places I got any responses was part-time, entry level retail. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Because it's heading into the busy season, I think I'm going to lay off applications until January. I don't want to deal with being swamped at work and feeling like a failure because I keep getting rejected. :|
justmama's Avatar justmama
02:41 PM Liked: 348
#1167 of 1278
10-31-2014 | Posts: 5,733
You said it Rhu. My job is very physical and i hurt every day. I make $11.20 an hour, $12 on weekends. It's so unfair. If hard work were all it took, my kids and i would be set. :/ On the bright side, my 102 year old resident who fell last week with another staff member came back from the hospital today with just a bruised bottom. Little blessings in this job!

Gratefuls:
My kids are all dressed to go tonight. Free costumes. We are reusing this year so that was nice.

This is my weekend off thankfully and I'm really looking forward to it.

My ankle is too painful to run today like planned but at least I'm catching up on laundry.

We are pretty stingy with heat so we still have a credit from heating assistance from last year. Good thing because we'll probably have to turn on the heat tonight or tomorrow. We are expecting our second freeze.

My apt complex gave me one more month before they raise my rent to catch up on bills. So thankful! That will allow me to buy a cheap computer i think which should assist me in job searches. Going to the library all the time stinks.

Felt good to turn down an offer of hats and mittens for my kids. We are already all set besides boots.

Got my scary mommy card for thanksgiving already. I'm saving it for a feast the day after since I'm working the holiday.
06:50 AM Liked: 129
#1168 of 1278
11-02-2014 | Posts: 1,153
Justmama - sorry to hear your ankle is hurting. WTG on your rent increase being delayed - I hope you are able to get a new PC. I don't know if a tablet would work, but Walmart.com will have a nice one on sale starting tomorrow for $50.

Mamarhu - I totally agree. The American Dream of 40 years ago doesn't exist anymore unless you are one of the lucky few.

Zebra - Ouch - just reading about all those repairs makes my pocket book hurt. Hopefully your son gets well quickly.

Got our ScaryMommy card as well. I'm holding it back for right now - not sure if it will have to go for a turkey roaster so we can cook the turkey or not. I need to do a test run on the oven for a longer time & see how it holds up. I know just on basic stuff it's making the metal flex, so I'm pretty iffy. Gotta get a oven temp gauge first though, as I think part of the problem is the temp isn't regulating right.

Halloween was good - we did like 5 streets in our neighborhood, then came home & handed out candy, pencils, and stickers. DD was Roly from 101 Dalmations. We live on a street where everyone decorates big time for Halloween, and I'm caving in next year I think if I can find the stuff super cheaply.

Working on getting the house cleaned up & ready for the holidays. Trying to sell / give away stuff we really don't need so there is space to set up a tree.

Gotta get cracking on homemade gifts too. I think I have the stuff to make things for dd, but not 100% sure so I need to look. Can one of you knitters / crocheters recommend an easy baby sweater pattern for a total novice? It needs to either fit a Bitty Baby doll or a small preemie size normally works {like the 4-5lb preemie size}. I have yarn & needles, but can't find an easy pattern.

Spending today going grocery shopping, then working with dd trying on her winter stuff. She's grown so much I don't think most of it will make it through the winter size-wise. I know I'm going to have to go to a local place or two for a couple of clothing things for her, but I need to know what she needs worst first.

Gratefuls:

~We haven't needed to dig out the heaters yet. It's cool in the house in the mornings, but with sweats & slippers it's tolerable until the sun warms us up.
~Was able to score a bunch of Halloween colored snacks cheap on clearance for the kids - they don't care what color they are
elliha
08:21 AM Liked: 3
#1169 of 1278
11-02-2014 | Posts: 28
I am thinking about Christmas too. I really want to do fun things with my daughter to decorate and make her appreciate Christmas. I will make some kind of sugar cube building and a gingerbread house this year. I want to make some simple paper decorations as well but I don't know exactly what I will make. Suggestions?

I like making different types of baskets like these ones (if you want to know what type of paper decorations I mean):
http://www.pandurohobby.co.uk/Catalogue/95-Seasonal/9510-Christmas/951005-Kits/1/650011-Hobby-bag-Plaited-hearts-15-pc

I would love to buy this http://www.gulakatten.se/sv/artiklar/docksulky.html for my daughter as the big gift. It is not incredibly pricey but I still want to keep the number of gifts and the gift budget as low as possible. We will see, she is more important than the rest of us anyway when it comes to gifts. I have already found a little set of crayons, pens and play doh which she will get as advent presents.
mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314
08:27 AM Liked: 2160
#1170 of 1278
11-02-2014 | Posts: 1,288
hey everyone, just checking in. We had a pretty good Halloween although we had to reuse the same customs from last year. I'm glad I thought to buy them a size too big.
I am thankful that I'm able to donate plasma for extra money, I was able to pay our electric bill that way.
I also got a flu shot this year which I'm hoping will help financially as well as health wise. I always miss a week or two of school and a week or two of donating plasma which ends up costing me over $100 which I can't spare. I figured since I get sick anyway I might as well take the risk of getting the shot right? Also I don't know if the flu shot was meant to be free this year because it has the cost as being $10 but they did not charge me and I did not say anything so it was free for me at least.
I can't wait until I graduate so I can get a real job. I decided to go with education so that I can have summers off with the boys. Not having their dad around makes it more important for me to spend time with them and not have to leave them at the babysitter. Changing my major to education has been the cause of some judgment aimed at me from my family, well, my brother. He doesn't have kids so he doesn't get it. My major was finance which is big money so he feels I should have stuck with it.
anyway just checking in I'm grateful that my kids are not hungry and we have a roof over our head and for my supportive parents.
Love to you all, I k ow we're getting into a hard season for most of us.
Tags: Frugality , Finances

Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances