2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 41 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

#1201 of 1260 Old 11-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I cannot find my new glasses. I can't actually remember if I had them when I got home or not and I lost them on a day that we went to about 6 different places one after the other. Gonna be fun to try and find them. I left a message at the most likely place I lost them and nothing. I really don't want to have to replace them- glasses are expensive.

I have an interview... for another part time, entry level retail position. I don't want it, because it means two jobs, but we don't have any options. When I got the call I was really hoping it was for DP. I'm kind of scared of what's going to happen if I have two jobs.

Also, the garbage disposal isn't working. It's not even trying to work. We're renting from my mom who really REALLY needs to never be a landlord because she'd be worse than mamarhu's (no- it's not just because I'm her kid, she'd be a nightmare). But it also means that we have to fix everything ourselves. And it's a very, very long list of things that are broken. (part of why I hope she never starts renting to anyone- she'd have to put a LOT into fixing this place up and it'd be better for her to do it and just sell the place)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1202 of 1260 Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
SS- I just had my garbage disposal fixed and a few other things under the sink. I couldnt wait for the landlord to do it (most repairs I make him do- this one I didnt have time to wait the weeks it would take him). I don't have the skill to fix it myself so I called the plumber and it was done in a couple hours. expensive but fixed and my kitchen was back in business. Good Luck whatever you end up doing.... neither route is 'cheap'

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#1203 of 1260 Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mamarhu - that suxs about the deductable. And the repairs - I wouldn't pay unless it's something you directly caused like a toy in the drain or something. But check your lease to be sure.

Crazyms - I will look at those when I get a chance - thanks!

SillySapling - hope you can find your glasses ASAP.

We are still here, still chugging along. DD had a growth spurt & outgrew half of her winter stuff, but I think she has enough to make it through if I can find her a few pair of sweatpants or fleece pants at the thrift. Thankfully her coat still fits as it is really big for size & a trench coat style. I buy those as I can normally get at least 2 years of wear out of them - sometimes 3 years.

I've been getting ready for Thanksgiving too. The last 3 times I've been to the grocery I got a small turkey since they are .88/lb {or $1.18/lb for butterball} with a $10 purchase. Probably will grab another 2 or 3 before the sale runs out. I figure I can fix the extras in January & February when it's super cold & we need the heat and they will be cheap meals. I do them Alton Brown style with a brine so they are super yummy.

Spent today cleaning up the house. Thankfully had enough energy & low enough pain levels to get a bunch done. Trying to purge & declutter big time.
#1204 of 1260 Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
SS- I just had my garbage disposal fixed and a few other things under the sink. I couldnt wait for the landlord to do it (most repairs I make him do- this one I didnt have time to wait the weeks it would take him). I don't have the skill to fix it myself so I called the plumber and it was done in a couple hours. expensive but fixed and my kitchen was back in business. Good Luck whatever you end up doing.... neither route is 'cheap'
We can't afford to get a plumber. I'm also suspicious it's an electrical issue- it's not even trying to turn on. I'm hoping it's just that the fuse blew, pretty easy to fix, we haven't gotten around to checking. I also really don't want a plumber to take one look at our plumbing and go "Do you have ANY idea how screwed up this is?" because it's bad all over. We have crappy water pressure, unreliable hot water, a leaky faucet.

It's really, really frustrating. The dryer doesn't really get the clothes dry, the dishwasher doesn't work, a few weeks ago the garbage disposal was clogged, we've been struggling with drain flies (didn't even know that was a thing before now), the doorknobs were so old that one of them just broke completely and we had to practically break the door to get it back open. My mom completely let this place fall apart. SO glad she didn't try renting this place because if she didn't get lucky and get renters who have the know how and willingness to fix everything, she'd have been spending thousands getting this place fixed.

#1205 of 1260 Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Im here today. Have an entire list of things that must be done but nothing is being done. With no classes tomorrow that throws the entire week off for kiddo, more blahs. Its so hard to get motivated lately.

I did manage to get kiddo out last night, he had some gift cards to target - his OT place gave gift cards for rewards- and he went shopping finally, OT was done in september. He got a couple things for the WiiU, jammie pants and jammie shorts. and the kid still has gc left over. It was funny to watch him hand over the gc one $5 card at a time. He cracks me up sometimes made me smile for just a tiny bit there.

Nothing in mind to make for lunch and its almost noon, nothing in mind for supper. Blahs all around here.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#1206 of 1260 Old 11-11-2014, 05:54 AM

Sorry for typos, on phone-

I got a second job. I'm devastated. I was really hoping the call would be for my partner. On days I work both jobs, I'll literally be out of the house from 730am to 930pm, I'll have to go to bed practically as soon as I get home. I feel like I'm never going to see my kid. at least I can keep up with my partner by text and calls during the day, but kiddo's preverbal.

I've been trying so hard to get a better job but nothing is working out. I feel so hopeless.
#1207 of 1260 Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Oh sillysapling, if you will be that miserable I really wonder if you should take it. Hugs.

Im off to buy some local pecans. This has been an expensive month and its not even half over. Luckily dh does get a turkey voucher though.
#1208 of 1260 Old 11-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sillysapling, I'm sorry honey. That's a terrible position to be in. I hope its short term.

Gratefuls:
-tomorrow is my day off. My volunteer day at the school. Its nice to get to spend time with my little two at lunch time.
-I'm mostly caught up on laundry which feels amazing.
I've got the kitchen cleaned up, lunches packed for tomorrow, ans breakfast prepped. I am feeding 5 kids tomorrow, which leads me to my next grateful.
-my best friend got a job. Doing what she wanted. Not the pay she wanted but.... it's a .
I've got a bunch of hats knit up for the local hat drive. They collect for kids who need them ans distribute. I have extra yarn ans no one to knit for so it's keeping my time occupied.
#1209 of 1260 Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 PM

I have to at least give it a shot. We'll see how it goes. Who knows, I may get lucky and after the holidays they'll be able to offer me a full time position. It seems more likely than my current job, where even someone who's worked there for 6 years is only getting $11/hour.

I swear, everyone else at work, even people who've been hired after me, are finding better jobs. :/ Slightly exaggerating, but quite a few people have left or reduced their hours because they found a full time job.

#1210 of 1260 Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM

My job you start at 11.20 an hour. My partner has been there for 7 years and she makes 13 an hour. So depressing.
#1211 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 05:22 AM

That is awful. After 7 years of experience, don't you deserve more than $1.80 more than someone who's just starting out? I imagine if she applied for the job now, with her 7 years of experience, she could have argued for a starting wage that's higher than what she's getting.

People aren't getting nearly enough in raises and such. I don't think that would even match the cost of living increase. Everything really sucks financially. :/

#1212 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 PM

SillySapling - I would hate that too. Could you tough it out through the holidays though? I know a lot of places let folks go in January, and I wouldn't want to have picked the wrong place to stay working at - KWIM?

I agree - it is awful. I am also surprised at how much the pay is - here even a job at the local BBQ joint pays $9/$10 depending on location. I think CNA here pays about $14/$15 an hour if I recall correctly depending on the setting. I think we have a higher cost of living though.

Dealing with the cold here. I can tell a big difference in the house where I caulked & foamed - it's holding warmth much better & I can find the drafty spots easier now. Last winter parts of the house had so many drafty spots you couldn't easily find them. Still need to finish the rest of the caulking though, but it is too cold & windy to do it properly today. Having issues with heaters but we are getting by thanks to electric blankets for my bed, and dd takes the good heater at night. My cat has fallen in love with the electric blanket on my bed lol - he barely will budge even for food.
#1213 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
every semester when I'm registering for classes I have a panic attack thinking that I need to be working. My very successful scientist brother however always reminds me that I need to suck it up and be poor now so that I can graduate sooner and have more financial stability. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't understand because he's never been in my position but I think he's right. I will graduate in spring of 2017 and have a teacher certification so I can start working in the fall of 2017. If I work for 5 years in a title 1 school I can be forgiven of $17,500 of my student loans. That's the goal. So I'm taking six classes next semester and I fully anticipate it will suck.
#1214 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Yes, i agree. I refuse to make only $13 an hour after 7 years. We work for the only private, non corporate nursing home in our state so i guess insurance costs are high. Seems unfair. I've been job hunting for a month. Nothing. depressing. I hate working weekends. It's hell trying to find sitters on the weekends.
#1215 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, we got our little windfall, then on the way home a tire blew. We were on the interstate and were able to pull over without a problem. I haven't gone a year yet where I haven't been super-thankful that I keep AAA. We got towed to Walmart (only place open on a Sun at 5pm) a full 20 min before they closed. AAA paid for most of the tow, and we had just under $300 in the bank, so I was able to pay for the remainder of the tow and the tire (no one takes checks anymore). I was stressed the whole time cuz it was unbudgeted and I wasn't able to easily check my accounts.

By the time we got that taken care of, our time table was completely gone, so we took advantage of the situation and splurged on dinner out. Since it was the day before DH's b-day, it was nice that we ended up taking the time to have a nice dinner out and I told the staff, so he got a birthday song and cake.

That means, of course, that we are now about three months farther from med bills pay-off than we thought we'd be. I keep thinking that so long as we get a decent amount from tax returns, we can pay off everything and go from there.

Poor DH thinks that paying off those bills means we'll have more cash. I laughed at him and pointed out that we can take most of that money and put it towards student loans and their OMG interest rates. Cuz we don't need money, right?

On the upside, it's supposed to be freaky cold this winter and DH got a bunch of winter gear from my parents for his b-day (they are really generous... so long as we don't take advantage). Since the kids have boots and coats that are still good and fit from late last year, and I still have my stuff from a few years ago, we should be ok. I think I'll bake a lot this winter to keep the electric down.

I've been able to try more and more with my baking. I've perfected noodles and lye pretzels now, and successfully attempted yorkshire puddings, vinegar pie and homemade caramel cinnamon rolls. I am looking forward to restocking my home-canned produce and expanding my ventures in jams and jellies. At least it makes the holidays easy.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#1216 of 1260 Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
SillySapling - I would hate that too. Could you tough it out through the holidays though? I know a lot of places let folks go in January, and I wouldn't want to have picked the wrong place to stay working at - KWIM?
That's the plan. Originally the plan was for DP to get a job over the holidays, but that just hasn't worked out so now it's me getting two. :/ I will see how things go. So far this one at least seems more straightforward. My first job, they made it sound like they were hiring me full time when they weren't.

I'm also still looking for a better, full-time job that actually pays a living wage so hopefully this won't be too long.

#1217 of 1260 Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Wolfcat - sorry to hear about the money / repair issues. I know it's hard when you are trying to get ahead. I am in the same boat on winter stuff pretty much. Been wearing the same ones for 4 years now lol. I need a better coat, but I can get by.

Justmama - have you considered maybe moving to an area with more jobs? Not sure if that is an option for you or not. Your housing assistance probably will transfer depending on the type - I know Section 8 vouchers transfer anywhere in the USA.

Spending today putting plastic on the windows - thankfully I found a kit this summer at a thrift for $1.99 unopened but the box was messed up. So far I've done 3 windows, about to start a 4th and then try to piece together leftovers for a 5th small one. I hope I am doing them right - I've never put plastic on before & I wasn't really sure how tight it should get when you shrink it with the blow dryer. I've also been going around on all the windows & putting foam weatherstripping where it needs it - picked it up at the thrift shop too lol. Hoping it makes a big difference in how warm the house stays. We hit our first freeze last night - it got down to 31. Nearly unheard of for this time of year - normally it doesn't get cold here until January-ish.
#1218 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

The weather has been lovely here 70-80's and 60;s at night. DS put up some xmas lights in the windows last week .
I have some candles going in the evening, makes things seem calmer around here for me- at least.
No plans for thanksgiving, I might take DS to the movies, but we aren't doing 'dinner' or anything. I'm not in the mood and its too much trouble for 2 people.

I'm working on small yarn projects this week, a couple hats and I finished off a blanket that was hanging around forever. Starting next week I need to get serious on the holiday present crochet projects.

Today is a lazy day on the couch, and thats ok.

#1219 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM

I can't move at the moment. I don't have a voucher. I live in a hud housing complex. I moved in on short notice due to unsafe living conditions and didn't even need a security deposit so when i move, i have to come up with that too. :/ so it's good and it's bad ya know? Plus, my state doesn't exactly have job opportunities anywhere. You'd have to know where i live to understand but we haven't bounced back yet from the great recession. We are still hurting. There's nowhere within an hour drive that has jobs really unless you area college grad WITH experience.
#1220 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM

God my phone hates this forum. *sigh*
We raked leaves all day at my parents' house and came home to potato soup in the crockpot. Now i have veggie stock cooking in there overnight for chicken soup tomorrow and I'm cooking up a pot of steel cut oats for breakfast. I'm trying to burn through all my cheap foods and not spend much on food. I need to find a use for red lentils.
Gratefuls:
-my crockpot. It's so essential for working single mom's.
-heat. Damn is cold out.
#1221 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
This is really delicious and the recipe is fine dropping ingredients as long as you have coconut, lentils and some spices. You can find soup recipes based on this that are yummy too.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...l-Curry-236684
#1222 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Justmama - Totally understand not moving then. The only reason the economy is decent here is the military & oilfield. We are trying to use up the food we have too for the most part. I've been grabbing cheap turkeys though as I've been getting them for like $9-$10 a 10lb turkey plus $5 of other foods free with a coupon. Guess we will eat a lot of turkey this winter.

My laptop keyboard is dying I keep having to bang on it to get it to work at all, and either the page down or end button is partway stuck so it keeps going down to the bottom of the screen all the time & staying there. Not sure how I am going to replace it, but it's going to have to be replaced somehow. Probably another credit card

Bought my dd a loft bed as a late birthday / early Christmas gift. A local homeschool mom was selling one for $40 because they had shortened the legs a bit {which was a plus for me as we have low ceilings}. They are going to deliver it Saturday. Fingers crossed that everything goes okay & I get paid on Friday so I have the funds for it. A soon as it comes, then I'll sell her current bed to replace the funds in the budget. DD has been asking for a loft bed for nearly a year now, and with her tiny room I am hoping it frees up space.

Gratefuls:
~Holidays are mostly taken care of thanks to an very unexpected blessing on another message board I'm on
~I'm going to be able to bless someone else with things this year, I think.
~Decent Heat, for the most part. And warm clothing, especially socks & slippers. I don't think I could take another year of freezing cold without them with my joint pain.
#1223 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Oh that recipe looks good! I don't have turmeric or jalapeños but i have everything else.
#1224 of 1260 Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm a long-time lurker coming out of the shadows. I'm so tired of having money be so tight. Especially at this time of year. Sigh...
#1225 of 1260 Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM

I hear that, polliwog. Yesterday we got our first snow and had to run out for snow shoes (usually get these yardsaling but no luck this yr). Over thirty dollars for a 3 and 5 yr old! Ended up having to settle for galoshes but at least they can be worn throughout the year.

The heat is on reg now. Supposed to get down to nine degrees now.

One grateful is my daughter was tiven a huge heap of winter and spring clothes. Always appreciated. I had my sister and niece over for Malificent last night. My mom bought it.
#1226 of 1260 Old 11-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did the super-frugal thing this week: made and canned soup! We got a bunch of produce (bountiful baskets) and with a bit of seasoning, everything was covered with the produce.

We now have a quart or two, plus several pints of: beet soup, pumpkin soup, curried carrot soup, butternut squash apple soup, loaded potato soup, and harvest sweet potato soup.

We also got 18 lbs of cranberries, so I made: cranberry sauce, cran-apple chutney, cran-apple sauce, craisins and cranberry pie filling (enough for two pies).

I also made three pints of pasta sauce, enough for at least three meals of pasta OR a dozen mini pizzas.

Our total expenditures for all this was about $50-60 and we still have a bunch of squash, asparagus, bananas (the kids ate all the oranges, the melon, and the remaining apples), herbs (drying with the cranberries), and cukes. I'm steaming the asparagus for supper (lasagna rolls with the homemade sauce). The bananas will either get eaten or made into banana bread. The squash will keep for a few weeks, so I'm not in a hurry to use those up. I just don't know what to do with the cukes. I may try canned pickles, but I don't think they are the right type of cukes.

Still hanging on by the fingertips financially though. I had a long talk with DH this weekend about why it takes some consideration each time we run out to get something. He said "It's only $5 or $10." and "Where does all our money go?" So I listed our bills off while he did the math. When we were done, he says "We still have like $200." I said "Yeah, a month. Divide that by 4 and that's our anything money each week, including travel money."

His final answer "Oh" I was like "Don't be sad about it. Tell me how awesome I am that you didn't even have to know how close we always are." But, instead, he got all grumpy cuz he works so hard but it's still hard to get by. *sighs* I should be more sympathetic, but I'm sick of hearing this anytime the reality of our financial situation (which I'm on top of and dealing with DAILY) invades his consciousness.

On the upside, I got chocolate at work today.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#1227 of 1260 Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It is so COLD out!!!! I hope everyone is staying warm!!!!

We are in the middle of a Snow storm...not supposed to let up till tommorow Night...thinking there will be no school tommorow....

I am doing okay...still working....I think I like this job Big Plus is no commute....pay isnt that great but nothing pays much over minimum wage around here...But it will cover the rent and heat...

Thinking about and praying for everyine!!! Stay warm!!!

My gratefuls...

Heat
my home
my job
#1228 of 1260 Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Sending warm thoughts to all the poeple getting SNOW!.... We are in the 70's with sun

starting to plan a bit for xmas. what can i make with my huge stash of yarn.... DS has requested a blanket and I have the gorgeous yarn he wants so I need to get to work on that. I promised 2 friends shawls so I need to wind that yarn as well

Thankfuls:
scarry mommy giftcard arrived.
full freezer
plans and $$ for thanksgiving at the movies with kiddo.

#1229 of 1260 Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Bah! I feel like I will never get out of this apt complex. My portable washer seems to have some kind of problem now. Im hoping I can fiddle with it instead of having to buy a new one. Meanwhile I have to contact management again because I have a leak in my bathroom. And yet again both toilets managed to clog and overflow last night (luckily hubbys become an old pro at that). Just starting to feel like its one thing after another in this apt and theres no getting ahead.
#1230 of 1260 Old 11-18-2014, 02:33 PM

well, one unexpected bright spot. My parents are giving us a turkey. Its only a sixteen pounder but we have loads of sides. And I still have a thirty dollar voucher for other groceries. Thanksgiving dinner shopping is done.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page