2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 42 - Mothering Forums

2014 Low Income Support Thread

sillysapling's Avatar sillysapling
10:09 PM Liked: 3043
#1231 of 1246
11-18-2014 | Posts: 834
Why are toddler shoes so expensive?!

I got the scary mommy card, but I've never used a prepaid credit card before... The fees makes me a little nervous. Do I cancel it after using the money on it...?
happyhats's Avatar happyhats
10:28 PM Liked: 127
#1232 of 1246
11-18-2014 | Posts: 1,266
I THINK when u are gifted a prepaid card you just use it like a gc and u wont encrue fees unless you decide to reload it. Ive never done scarymommy specifically tho.
seap3's Avatar seap3
10:43 PM Liked: 11
#1233 of 1246
11-18-2014 | Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
Why are toddler shoes so expensive?!

I got the scary mommy card, but I've never used a prepaid credit card before... The fees makes me a little nervous. Do I cancel it after using the money on it...?
no worries. You won't get any fees. Once you use it all just throw it away, We had one last year and didn't have any problems.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
11:54 PM Liked: 128
#1234 of 1246
11-18-2014 | Posts: 1,150
Sillysapling - Yep, just use it until the balance is zero, then toss. Or I tend to stick them in my drawer to use for messy pan scrapers

Just got a disconnect for the electric bill here. Due by Friday. Nearly at a disconnect on the water bill. Going to go to the one place in town that will see me with an expired ID, and hopefully they have funding. Fingers crossed that they might help me cover a new ID too. I get paid Friday hopefully, but the $$$ is already gone for other bills that can't wait.

Gratefuls:
~Warmer weather for the next week, so hopefully no need for heat
~So incredibly blessed by a family who has adopted us for the holidays on another message board. I was in tears last night as they got me a much needed item as a gift. I'm going to try to keep from opening it until Christmas & wrap it for under the tree.
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu
06:50 AM Liked: 1363
#1235 of 1246
11-19-2014 | Posts: 3,066
I'm having a pretty emotional evening here. I took my clients to a homeless shelter tonight. A mom with two kids.There was no real alternative. It is a family shelter; mostly women with children. I have never been inside a place like that before. I don't know what to feel. So sad for all those mothers and kids. Grateful for my home and family. Angry at our society that allows this. Helpless that I can't fix it. Guilty that I can't invite my clients to my home. Even sadder that they will still probably not be stable over the holidays.

Just need some time to sort it out I guess.
kindofcrunchy82's Avatar kindofcrunchy82
02:28 PM Liked: 11
#1236 of 1246
11-19-2014 | Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I'm having a pretty emotional evening here. I took my clients to a homeless shelter tonight. A mom with two kids.There was no real alternative. It is a family shelter; mostly women with children. I have never been inside a place like that before. I don't know what to feel. So sad for all those mothers and kids. Grateful for my home and family. Angry at our society that allows this. Helpless that I can't fix it. Guilty that I can't invite my clients to my home. Even sadder that they will still probably not be stable over the holidays.

Just need some time to sort it out I guess.
Sorry mamarhu, our society is so odd sometimes, it is so sad things like this even happen but at least there is a shelter for them to stay at vs the streets. I have been in a shelter once but never actually interacted with the people there as i was there for a conference.
08:55 PM Liked: 127
#1237 of 1246
11-19-2014 | Posts: 1,266
I can only imagine your mix of feelings, mamarhu.

Im having a rough day. I know a chunk of it is hormonal but that doesnt help much. Ive decided I really need to try to move for my mental health. I dont think we are quite financially ready to own but we could rent something new. The area we are in is isolating, and the apt is just falling apart. Insulation sucks, kitchen is falling apt, toilets constantly overflow, ac is always breaking and, while Ive almost won the battle, tje roaches arent completely gone. (they did a half ass bombing job and didnt do other apts around me. But borax seems to be doing the trick).
08:57 PM Liked: 127
#1238 of 1246
11-19-2014 | Posts: 1,266
Hit reply too soon. I dont want to seem completeky ungrateful. Im sitting in warmth, I have food for my belly and healthy kids. Temporary setbacks. I will be okay.
12:17 AM Liked: 128
#1239 of 1246
Yesterday | Posts: 1,150
I'm toast. Just lost my decent gig selling sweaters, at least for a while. Probably for good - the gal who runs that business is pregant with twins & scaling back.

I've got a bunch of cc debt from trying to get ahead on this sweater gig that I was trying to deal with, bills up the wazoo, and no other decent income. Property taxes that gotta be paid or they take the house.

What the f am I going to do?

I still have ebay, but it's not been good lately. And without funds to buy stuff to sell, it'll dry up too.
mommaof3boz's Avatar mommaof3boz
01:16 AM Liked: 70
#1240 of 1246
Yesterday | Posts: 1,486
I'm so sorry everyone is having such a rough time. I found a different job, gave my 2 weeks. My boss decided to let me go without pay a week early just to be spiteful. No pay for a whole week...sigh
01:33 AM Liked: 127
#1241 of 1246
Yesterday | Posts: 1,266
frugalmama, can you get back into section 8 and try to short sale the house? Hugs.
02:11 AM Liked: 128
#1242 of 1246
Yesterday | Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
frugalmama, can you get back into section 8 and try to short sale the house? Hugs.
I might could sell the house {it's paid for}, but it wouldn't gain us any big savings & it would mean tearing dd away from her 2 best friends {she doesn't make friends easily}. The lowest rent here is $50 a month on section 8, regardless of income. My taxes are about $800 a year, so about $67 a month but unlike rent I can slide them if needed. Here on section 8 if you don't pay rent by the 7th, you are automatically evicted on the 14th. Factor in the costs of moving since I don't drive, and I'm probably ahead to stay here. I might save on home upkeep, but honestly I've started to become pretty handy at fixing stuff around here lol.

I'm starting to calm down from my initial panic. I have one last sweater check coming in Friday. With it, I'll pay my credit card payments, the last of the past due property taxes, and for dd's bed {pretty sure I can sell her old one for close to the same cost}. Then I'm going to go renew my ID so I can get help with the bills from more places. I'm going to ramp back up ebay this weekend, and really hit up the rebates on checkout51, savingstar, and ibotta every week from here out. I think I can do $50 a month in rebates between those 3 sites - maybe more. After I get this years past due property taxes paid, then I just need to start worrying about next years. But it's not a super huge hurry, as long as I get the school part {about $300} paid before June, I can set the county part up on a payment plan like I did this year. Not great, but not terrible. As long as I manage to make between $150 and $280 a month, I can get everything covered. I was doing $50 to $100 on ebay - I can do higher, I just need to work harder at it & target what I'm buying to sell into things that sell higher. I'm probably going to have to do a lot of aid places for a while though on bills & non-food stamp stuff.
05:24 AM Liked: 127
#1243 of 1246
Is there any other ways to bring income in? Babysitting? House cleaning? Selling coupons even? Anything crafty? Have you looked into phone service jobs you can do from home, or surveys? Mystery shopping?
11:22 PM Liked: 127
#1244 of 1246
Finally got the first five pounds of pecans all cracked and sorted. Filled two mason jars for snacking, couple bags in the freezer, and the leftovers go in the brownies Im making tonight
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 (TS)
12:35 AM Liked: 2766
#1245 of 1246
Today | Posts: 4,751
might make GF brownies and frosting tonight or tomorrow. cold here (50's at night) and the oven seems to help.

still feeling unexcited about the holidays. blah
Springshowers's Avatar Springshowers
12:57 AM Liked: 57825
#1246 of 1246
Today | Posts: 2,847
If anyone here is interested in an informal holiday helper program post your support here:

http://www.mothering.com/forum/2-site-help/1460993-holiday-helper-2014-a-new-post.html

If people are interested they are going to make a holiday helper forum and let an informal program self manage itself.
Tags: Frugality , Finances

Reply Unsubscribe Frugality & Finances

Quick Reply