2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 44 - Mothering Forums

2014 Low Income Support Thread

crazyms's Avatar crazyms
09:53 AM Liked: 2374
#1291 of 1317
12-14-2014 | Posts: 1,203
@elliha I'm glad you've had some breathing time to relax a little. I hope you can find something reasonable for your husband that will keep the finances ok and not cause much stress. We do the same thing with not giving too many toys outside of Christmas and birthday so I understand it being easy to go overboard!

I got Christmas shopping done! I do have to order one last gift Monday but that's an easy thing and will come gift wrapped and ready. Yay! I didn't even buy much but still feel like maybe I spent too much money. Ugh I'm just glad it's done. The money is gone now and it's over so I can move on without this expense in my way. Still have to finalize the menus so I can get a grocery list and finish that shopping too. I'm feeling better already though now that the land is settled and Christmas is bought. Just 3 more days until the hubby is home too!
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu
10:23 AM Liked: 1363
#1292 of 1317
12-14-2014 | Posts: 3,069
I just got y last paycheck before Xmas, and I am trying to figure out which bills can wait. I would like to get each kid one more something, and we usually get pretty carried away with the stockings. This is the first year my Mom isn't well enough for a family dinner, and it seems sort of pointless just the three of us (me and the 2 Dumplings). I got a free extra turkey at the grocery store on Thanksgiving, but I think I will leave it in the free*er. It is huge (over 30 lbs, IIRC!), and that is a lot of work. Maybe we will go out to the beach and see if our favorite fish and chips place is open on Xmas. Probably not... but sounds like fun anyway.

I am still searching for a better paying job. I think I will have to take a government position, rather than a non-profit, to get any raise in my salary and/or room for advancement. But I know I will be giving up a lot of freedom and the great coworkers I have. Sigh.

I check in here nearly daily, but I hate trying to type on my stoopid tablet. So know that I send warm, optimistic thoughts to all.

Happiest season to all my MDC friends!
justmama's Avatar justmama
02:20 PM Liked: 349
#1293 of 1317
12-14-2014 | Posts: 5,738
I'm shocked that i can post. This site has been freezing my phone for weeks. I miss you guys. We just finished moving to the new apartment. My body hurts so bad now. Got a Christmas tree today and we are decorating and making snowflakes for the windows. Feels good to finally be able to get into the season. Bills are covered, personal life is actually well and happy, kids are healthy. Can't ask for more right now.
Gratefuls:
-this new apartment that feels so roomy.
-being in the first floor with a lovely wooded are just outside my door that feels like a backyard.
-a special new person who tells me how wonderful i am constantly.
-Christmas decorations!
-finance are stable and bills are covered. I can think of Christmas shopping finally.
-a credit on my gas acct from last year so we can be warm.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats
03:36 PM Liked: 129
#1294 of 1317
12-14-2014 | Posts: 1,285
I'm so sorry about yr mom, mamarhu. Do you live in a culturally diverse area at all? Maybe you could do dinner and a movie?

Glad things are going well, justmama. Rest up.

I'm spending this lazy Sunday catching up on sleep and housework. Hubby has some clothes to look through then at dark we will drop them in front of the mission and look at lights in town. Went about an hr away to see free lights in a big city park last night.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
05:07 PM Liked: 685
#1295 of 1317
12-14-2014 | Posts: 1,596
Merry Christmas friends!!!! We just put our tree up so I am feeling it a little more....it's going to be a first without my dad and it's already making my stomach hurt but I am determined to smile and make it happy for my little one
05:36 PM Liked: 349
#1296 of 1317
12-15-2014 | Posts: 5,738
I'm sorry Mylie. Rough time of year for that.

Gratefuls:
-tomorrow is my day off. I'm spending it hiking with a special someone.
-got more Christmas shopping accomplished. I'm really behind this year with work and the move.
-my daughter did a Yankee Candle fundraiser for karate and usually i don't buy them because they are so pricey but i did since it was for a fundraiser. Now my house smells amazing.
-my parents hooked up my washer and dryer this morning while they watched my girls so i finally have laundry going.
-i have to work on Christmas. I would have cried.
10:24 PM Liked: 129
#1297 of 1317
12-15-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Hugs,Mylie.

I tried to make microwave caramels but they didn't quite set. I think I will make caramel brownies and put them in the freezer for Christmas. Just got a nice surprise. My sister brought liver a turkey carcass from a holiday party. There was also enough meat for soup later this week. So broth is brewing in the crockpot! I can always use stock this time of year.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
10:31 PM Liked: 130
#1298 of 1317
12-15-2014 | Posts: 1,155
Sillysapling - I totally agree about the ACA. I am in a gap state too.

Crazyms - Glad to hear the land situation got straightened out. WTG on finishing your Christmas shopping. I am not done yet - I have 1 thing for DD that I need to call on tomorrow as it hasn't showed up yet, and I need to swing by the thrift shop for some nice baskets for the gifts I am making for DD's friends.

Mamarhu - I hear you on the bills situation. On the turkey - I don't know how well it would work for a big turkey, but this year I did JUST the baking portion of the Alton Brown good eats turkey, and it came out wonderful without being a ton of work. I didn't even oil it per say - I sprayed it with PAM lol. Hope you are able to find a great job soon.

Justmama - Glad to hear from you & that the move went well. WTG on getting your washer & dryer hooked up - I could not live without mine.

Mylie - *hugs* It's hard the first year - I know last Christmas was the 1st without my mom, and I bawled.

Spent the last 2 days working around the house. Still need to make at least 1 more shopping trip to finish out the baskets for dd's friends - they are both getting assorted cosmetics & HBA items, along with candy. Tomorrow the plan is to get the dining room cleaned up, then make those applesauce cinnamon ornaments so they have time to dry before gifting.

Gratefuls:
~My dd finally quit fighting me on a clothing {br@} issue that we have arguing over for a couple months. We have struck a bargain - she wears it daily for 12 weeks, without fighting me on it & show responsibility, and I will take her to get her ears pierced at the mall. So grateful - she really is blooming & needs the extra layer of coverage. I didn't realize she wanted to get her ears pierced so badly either - I was going to make her wait until 13.
~My dd's friend cut my hair today for me {and did a pretty good job, IMO}. She's been begging me to let her cut it for a while now, and I finally said yes today. I ended up getting the bottom 7 inches or so cut off, so now it only goes to mid-back. Feels odd, but good too - I hadn't cut it in a good 6 years at least and it had a ton of split ends. Tomorrow dd is going to ask her to trim hers - she's never had it cut!
~Saturday is our local Feast of Sharing, hosted by the local grocery chain. Free to go on the bus, free all you can eat hot meal, and free events for the kiddos at the little community expo. DD always has a blast, and it is nice to get out & not have to cook.
mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314
07:31 AM Liked: 2160
#1299 of 1317
12-16-2014 | Posts: 1,297
hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing okay.I'm feeling a little stressed, no money for presents this year. I will be able to finish some quilts that I started for them that I know they will love so at least it will be something. I'm glad my kids are still young.

Eta: I just remembered I have a credit card at best buy...maybe I'll pick up a few things...
sillysapling's Avatar sillysapling
12:00 PM Liked: 3061
#1300 of 1317
12-16-2014 | Posts: 929
So tired.... the schedule is really wearing on me, as is the financial strain. I'm trying to put out some more resumes but I don't know if it'll do any good.
03:25 PM Liked: 129
#1301 of 1317
12-16-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Hugs to struggling mamas. Plan a special day with cocoa and lights and a special meal or movie. Its okay.
07:16 PM Liked: 3061
#1302 of 1317
12-16-2014 | Posts: 929
I may have found an opportunity. I don't want to talk much about it, just because I'm really paranoid right now, but positive thoughts are appreciated.

I had to buy grown-up clothes, which is always harrowing. I knew I was going to have to- first, because I'm getting sick of dressing like a kid. Second, because I really need some proper interview clothes if I want to be ready for proper interviews. I managed to do a really good job, though- I got some things at the local thrift shop, including a pair of dress shoes that are actually boys that look decent, and the cashier gave me an extra 25% off because I was a flustered just-out-of-college-preparing-for-interviews kid (it's weird to think that- but I really am), and the blazer and pants I got new were both on 50% clearance.
mumm's Avatar mumm
09:08 AM Liked: 194
#1303 of 1317
12-17-2014 | Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

-i have to work on Christmas. I would have cried.
I remember the first Christmas my partner had to work. I felt just awful about it. She has now been away for Christmas for 11 years straight, and I kinda like it! On Christmas day we get together with my extended family (no gift giving, just eating!). Then when my partner is back home, Santa comes and we celebrate with just us and we have stockings from santa and gift giving among the siblings. It is lovely and I feel like it is a bonus day. Some years it is a day or two before the 25th, this year it is a full week after. The kids are fine with it. Last night in fact, when we were saying our "thankfuls" before dinner my 7 year old's thankful was "I'm thankful Mama will be home for Christmas." The older kids scoffed and said, but she isn't. So my thankful was "I'm thankful I have the type of family that would choose to postpone gift giving and receiving a week so that Mama can be with." This led to a whole discussion of whether or not some families give gifts/celebrate with a parent missing.

I get that it will be hard, but I bet it will end up being easier than you anticipate.
03:35 PM Liked: 129
#1304 of 1317
12-17-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Looking up easy, cheap breakfast ideas for christmas. Thinking three ingredient coconut oil biscuits (I do need self rising flour but it lasts forever), sausage egg casserole and apple butter. I have some apple sauce I can boil into butter tonight and I have sausage in my freezer.

I'm also going to make another batch of gingerbread cookies for Sundays Santa clause movie marathon. My kitchen will be busy tonight!

My kids had a joint birthday party yesterday so of course the playroom is trashed. Were turning on a couple Christmas movies and cleaning. Tomorrow we go to a children's museum for their gift from us (getting a membership).
06:22 PM Liked: 349
#1305 of 1317
12-18-2014 | Posts: 5,738
Honey recheck that recipe for the biscuits. There's a link for the self-rising flour. It's as simple as flour, salt, and baking powder.
10:10 PM Liked: 129
#1306 of 1317
12-18-2014 | Posts: 1,285
Oh I know you should be able to make your own self rising flour but its something I haven't gotten just right. Which is annoying because it should be so easy lol.
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat
10:28 PM Liked: 68
#1307 of 1317
12-18-2014 | Posts: 1,127
DH just found out he's getting moved to a new position in his job in three weeks. It'll be several more hours a week in overtime due to additional paperwork, and more satisfying work to boot.

Working on bills here... It isn't pretty, but it's not in the red, so I guess that's something. We are going to have to hold up on getting gifts for us (DH and I), but that's fine. We still get the gifts from our parents, so...

Sadly, we are doing really well, just skating so close to the red. It's really stressful and I'm hoping that all my overtime this week, and DH's bumps in income, will finally get us to where we can breathe a little better.
05:16 AM Liked: 3061
#1308 of 1317
12-19-2014 | Posts: 929
Fearing the next week at work. Week before Christmas. My job has been getting progressively worse over the last month. In part because we're just understaffed, and since I answer phones that means half of my job is desperately apologizing for not being able to get someone to answer the phone, which makes me sad. In part because everyone else is so dang stressed out and doesn't know healthy ways to manage it.

It's really bad- I have 3 superiors, 2 of them barely allow me to go to lunch/take breaks. It's not even that bad for me- there's a cashier who's breastfeeding, and she won't take the pumping breaks she's allowed because her superiors kept complaining! Imagine going 5 hours plus commute without pumping! She knows they're violating both the law and company policy, but I totally understand not wanting to rock the boat.

Can it be January yet?

The opportunity I mentioned earlier is still on the table, so any positive thoughts are appreciated. I'm going to be devastated if it falls through, but if it works out I think things are going to get a lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Honey recheck that recipe for the biscuits. There's a link for the self-rising flour. It's as simple as flour, salt, and baking powder.
Will that work with gluten free flour or only wheat?
09:51 AM Liked: 349
#1309 of 1317
12-19-2014 | Posts: 5,738
I think it should work for both. It's literally flour, salt, an baking powder.
09:56 AM Liked: 349
#1310 of 1317
12-19-2014 | Posts: 5,738
http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/3-ingre...scuits-recipe/
02:50 PM Liked: 3061
#1311 of 1317
Yesterday | Posts: 929
Didn't even get an interview for a job that I really wanted and that I thought I fit the bill for. Once new year starts I need to re-evaluate how to do a job search to try to figure out something successful, but this just hurts.
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat
05:58 PM Liked: 68
#1312 of 1317
Yesterday | Posts: 1,127

OMG! My parents just stole my kids for two weeks, but not before she gave me and DH our holiday presents (mine is a 7 qt CuisinArt - WOOT!) and a surprise belated wedding gift - they wrote off the $26k we still owe them on the house! We now own the house! We only have to pay taxes and insurance! Holy $#@%&!! Gaaaahhhh!

We are now planning what to do with our new wealth (an extra $200/mo). Ok, it's going into student loans.
08:57 AM Liked: 2160
#1313 of 1317
Today | Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

OMG! My parents just stole my kids for two weeks, but not before she gave me and DH our holiday presents (mine is a 7 qt KitchenAid - WOOT!) and a surprise belated wedding gift - they wrote off the $26k we still owe them on the house! We now own the house! We only have to pay taxes and insurance! Holy $#@%&!! Gaaaahhhh!

We are now planning what to do with our new wealth (an extra $200/mo). Ok, it's going into student loans.
That's amazing!
08:59 AM Liked: 2160
#1314 of 1317
last year I decided to apply for the full amount of student loans I had available so that I could put some cash only for emergencies. I have looked at my bill and it looks like I will have about 2800 as a refund. I want to use 400 to pay off my tires I just had to buy and then I will need some for books. I don't know what to do with the other 2000 though.I have an Amazon credit card with a balance of about 1100. I'm trying to decide whether to put all of the two grand in savings or pay off the Amazon card and put the rest in savings. What do y'all think?
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
01:00 PM Liked: 685
#1315 of 1317
Today | Posts: 1,596
Quote:

OMG! My parents just stole my kids for two weeks, but not before she gave me and DH our holiday presents (mine is a 7 qt KitchenAid - WOOT!) and a surprise belated wedding gift - they wrote off the $26k we still owe them on the house! We now own the house! We only have to pay taxes and insurance! Holy $#@%&!! Gaaaahhhh!

Congratulations and Merry Christmas
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat
05:15 PM Liked: 68
#1316 of 1317
Today | Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
last year I decided to apply for the full amount of student loans I had available so that I could put some cash only for emergencies. I have looked at my bill and it looks like I will have about 2800 as a refund. I want to use 400 to pay off my tires I just had to buy and then I will need some for books. I don't know what to do with the other 2000 though.I have an Amazon credit card with a balance of about 1100. I'm trying to decide whether to put all of the two grand in savings or pay off the Amazon card and put the rest in savings. What do y'all think?
Pay it off. Then you'll have the balance on the card that you can use if you need it, plus the lower balance will boost your credit score.
06:54 PM Liked: 2160
#1317 of 1317
Quote:
Pay it off. Then you'll have the balance on the card that you can use if you need it, plus the lower balance will boost your credit score.
Yeah I think that's the best option. Thanks
Tags: Frugality , Finances

Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances