Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

#211 of 850 Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Omg. Stbx just called to tell me that he is losing rank and may be kicked out of the army. I am depending on him paying child support to get us through my schooling. I feel like he's trying to get kicked out on purpose so he can go back to being a pot head living with his mom. Uggghhhh.

Oh no!!!! I'm sorry to hear about that. Some men can be extremely stupid at times. I hope and pray everything goes good for you.

Stephanie, 25, Single parent to DS (7/10). I
Part Time Cake Decorator & Full-time Student

BS1: Completed 5/3/14
BS2: Credit Card Debt: Completed 5/18/14, Phone Acct: 6/20/14, Personal Loan: $4069.97
#212 of 850 Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 PM

I just applied for term life insurance, 500k for myself and 25k for my son, total monthly quote about $29 a month. I had to it now since I turn 25 next month and I will have to pay more. Just hope it says at the quoted $29 once I get the medical exam portion done.

Stephanie, 25, Single parent to DS (7/10). I
Part Time Cake Decorator & Full-time Student

BS1: Completed 5/3/14
BS2: Credit Card Debt: Completed 5/18/14, Phone Acct: 6/20/14, Personal Loan: $4069.97
#213 of 850 Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Omg. Stbx just called to tell me that he is losing rank and may be kicked out of the army. I am depending on him paying child support to get us through my schooling. I feel like he's trying to get kicked out on purpose so he can go back to being a pot head living with his mom. Uggghhhh.

He must have done something big.  DUI on base?

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#214 of 850 Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Mr wonderful was told 'not being employed does not negate your child support responsibility'.  meaning his montly payment stayed the same whether he chose to work or not.   Yes I have tens of thousands of dollars of arrears and interest on those dollars but they never lowered my monthly allotment.

Just because cs is ordered, doesn't mean it gets paid.  sadly but it does mean that arrears will build and interest penalty will increase as well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#215 of 850 Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Im so sorry, micah, but I have faith you can figure it out. I already got my tax refund as well. Im not sure why its so speedy this year but I wont complain. Tomorrow we will be doing some household shopping and stocking up ob groceries. Im hoping dh found someone to get the washer and dryer from sil since her moving plans have changed and we cannot use her uhaul now. At least I dont have to worry about being able to afford gas now lol!
#216 of 850 Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM

We got 13 inches of snow Tuesday. Ds has been out of school all week except Monday and he already has tomorrow off. I finally dug out this morning. Eek it was hard. My tire is super low again. I know it is leaking again so I am going to take it in in the morning. Hoping it can be patched! This month I was trying build my EF fund but looks like I will need to use some of it for my tire.

My tire is done =( apparently it was incorrectly installed with the previous owner and it had been slowly getting more and more cracks/holes in it, the cold weather just made the loss quicker and more noticeable and dramatic. I actually had it looked at last oil change and was told it was fine, and appeared fine because the leaking was on the inside. 100$ for a new tire and 100$ less in to savings. I have been pretty diligent about maintaining my car since i purchased it, since xdh worked in the car business he always got our vehicles serviced, regular wear and tear on the car is pretty manageable since i drive pretty little just glad it isn't going to set me back too far.

i think the worse part is that the tires are in really good shape otherwise, not very old at all with plenty of life on the tread.

So anyway, I am not sure if i will be car less or what because the tire needs to be ordered and wont be in until monday.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#217 of 850 Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am procrastinating about filing my taxes because last year my refund was garnished. I suspect the same this year, and the rest of my life, and it takes all the fun out of filing. I think it would be about $2000, which would make a welcome addition around here these days...

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#218 of 850 Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I am procrastinating about filing my taxes because last year my refund was garnished. I suspect the same this year, and the rest of my life, and it takes all the fun out of filing. I think it would be about $2000, which would make a welcome addition around here these days...

Same boat here. Didn't file last year on account of no reportable income. This year if I file I'm supposed to get $120 back, but 99.9% sure it's going to be garnished for defaulted student loans. And I'd have to pay $75 to file since it's all self-employment income.

Still waiting to hear back if the project VITA free tax prep will do self-employment taxes or not. Probably will end up not filing at all if they won't.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#219 of 850 Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM

I know the garnishments must blow, but at least try to think of them as paying off debt without much pain? Maybe? The only reason I worry about letting it go is what my inlaws have done. They owe money to the irs and decided to ignore it. Now they cannot own anything of value and as that number keeps climbing I really worry what will happen in their future.
#220 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yeah, my garnishment is due to defaulted student loans also. I don't mind the concept of repaying them at all. But at this rate, I will be about 112 when they are paid off.

Life goes on around here. We had 2 snow days here last week - fun, but I really can't afford a paycheck 2 days short. Today, the roads are still a mess, but we are out of milk and cat food and anything for a real dinner. My kids are both doing separate but equally limiting diet things right now. One is trying gluten-free, the other won't eat anything he perceives as supporting the agricultural/industrial complex. Between the 2, there isn't much left! I shop mainly at the produce market, and we eat lots of brown rice and veggie meals. Could be worse, but I am craving a roast turkey with stuffing. I have a turkey in the free*er, but if I am the only one to be eating it, I will have leftovers till I pay off those student loans! :lol 

ETA: Almost forgot - DD made the most amazing treat last night. She made a cooked sweet syrup of fresh orange juice, orange zest, and sugar, then mixed it with fresh snow. Simple as can be, but fabulous! Somewhere between sorbet and a snow cone.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#221 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Maybe you should roast your turkey and do the stuffing separately(my mom always has) and then two of you will be eating the turkey and you can make only enough stuffing for yourself.  And then you can pick the carcass and make yourself some turkey stir fry and turkey soup and all that stuff.  Free*e a bunch of meat and use as you need it.  We still have some turkey from Thanksgiving day actually.  

#222 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM

A chunk of tax money gone, but at least it was on allotted things. We splurged on a toy for each kiddo. Im supposed to get the washer and dryer today and I will probably have inlaws over at some point. I still want to do some food stocking but now that will wait until next weekend when we can devote a day to it and combine it with the grocery shopping. Right now just relaxing before the crazy.
#223 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Everyone is saying they got their taxes back already..I sure hope mine comes this week...it was accepted on the 3rd...I am so behind ...I haven't even paid my rent yet from being off with my dad so long...it will be a relief to get those bills caught up...and luckily I have a nice landlord who will let it go for a few weeks(with a late fee of course)...

I am back to work now and look forward to getting my 1st full paycheck next week...But I am looking at changing jobs..Won't be better pay but it will be fulltime and I am hoping to get into HUD housing this year.

Waking each day knowing my dad is gone has been hard..at first it was a relief to know he wasn't hurting anymore..Now it is some ways a fight to keep from letting myself get depressed..sometimes I have to force myself to leave the house after a couple days even if only to go gas the car for work week...I know that is part of the grieving process and I know it will get better ...

How is everyone doing? I read almost everyday but don't post as much..I will try to participate more though..

My gratefuls for today...

My own home...so many don't have even that greensad.gif
Wonderful support and friendship here(one in particular and she knows who she is )
My L...she is a great kid and I don't know what I do without her..she is my life... <3
#224 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Yeah that to the great kids!!! My dd got a letter sent home Friday for her to be tested for gifted classes! I was so excited and just dang proud of her all I could do was burst into tears. Pathetic I'm sure but oh my I was so proud.

Not much news around here. Dh made some extra money the day in from work so that's good and a friend of his has a deer he can't store so we're getting to buy a whole deer for about $75!! We go tomorrow to pick it up. I'm glad for the little blessings we've been getting. Definitely waiting on refunds so we can get some things in order. 

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#225 of 850 Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Hugs mylie.
#226 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 AM

My son filed his taxes, the estimated refund date was the 24th and he got it back on Saturday (was supposed to be today, but as I have figured out with direct deposits- if it's supposed to be there Monday, it will be there the Saturday before). His taxes were really simple. I am expecting mine to take longer because there are so many more things involved. I think they give the three week estimation to everyone to avoid phone calls, etc.

#227 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks everyone, I have no idea what stbx really did but he told me it was "an accumulation of things over the past year". He's a screwup, I dunno.

I'm between classes so I don't have time to catch up on the thread but I'm hoping to get some input. I have 800 saved from taxes. I can't decide if I should use it to: buy a carseat (high priority), savings (I have none) or pay off most my cc debt (about 1000 total). What do y'all think?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#228 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just checked the IRS refund schedule estimator, which now says it will be deposited this week-phew! Guess the turbo tax just gives the range whereas the IRS gives the specifics.  I'm glad for those of you who got/are getting yours soon-I know personally how helpful a little extra can be :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#229 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM

IRS said the 12th mine will be sent to my bank.  *crossing fingers*

#230 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM

It seems like in past years, the refunds only came through once a week. There seems to be more frequency to when refunds are being deposited. That is a great thing!

#231 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 PM

I just went and looked..Mine should be here the end of this week..it will such a relief to pay all the bills up and some for the year...it sure will take some stress off my shoulders... smile.gif
#232 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Ugh!!! My laptop isscrewed now I need to buy one. I need it for my class and resumes and job searching....I may Have lost all my pics and documents too! Grhhhhhh.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#233 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone, I have no idea what stbx really did but he told me it was "an accumulation of things over the past year". He's a screwup, I dunno.

I'm between classes so I don't have time to catch up on the thread but I'm hoping to get some input. I have 800 saved from taxes. I can't decide if I should use it to: buy a carseat (high priority), savings (I have none) or pay off most my cc debt (about 1000 total). What do y'all think?

Savings. Especially with your CS in question. You need a safety net should CS stop coming in. Worst case scenario you can always default on the cc debt & after 7 years it never happened on your credit report.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#234 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Savings. Especially with your CS in question. You need a safety net should CS stop coming in. Worst case scenario you can always default on the cc debt & after 7 years it never happened on your credit report.

This! As far as the carseat... how old is your child? Weight, height. What type of carseat are you needing to get? It is possible to get a free carseat through the police dept, fire dept or local health clinic or crisis pregnancy clinic. I'd check on those resources. If not let us know the sizes and age for your child and I'm sure we can find something reasonably affordable. I found carseats for each of my kids for $70 each although I may have gotten by cheaper if I'd have needed to. I'll do whatever I can to help you find something. I'm sure we can figure it out. Past the carseat I totally agree with frugal mama put that money in savings! You can make payments on the debt or worst case scenario let it go and deal with it later but you need that money if cs stops coming. I'd get the necessary carseat and save every other penny I could.

#235 of 850 Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM

We're still waiting on refund updates here but hopefully it'll be soon. We got the deer today and deposited my paycheck so the bank acct doesn't look so sad... for a couple of days anyways. I have to sit down and pay more bills again. I'm desperately trying to knock out some of these medical bills stacked a mile high on my desk and stick *something* in savings for us. The list of things needed is just so long. Ugh. Come on taxes!

On a good note... ds wanted to play basketball so bad. The letter came from the school and it was only $20 to join. Since dh made that little extra for a side job coming home Thurs I was able to sign him up. Little things like that for the kids make me smile and make all this juggling and struggling worth it. 

#236 of 850 Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM

Tomorrow. Just a little longer. And then my money will be there. I need winter boots(still borrowing my mom's) and my oldest needs snow pants since hers are held together with safety pins. I need to get my youngest some asthma supplies like a new spacer and new oxygen tubing and such. But otherwise it's going in my tiny savings acct. Maybe I'll be able to save enough to go back to school. joy.gif My boss is jerking me around with hours at work so I need another part-time job. eyesroll.gif Or we need to stop eating or growing and needing clothing. Ya know, one or the other.

So unrelated to being poor, I'm having the WORST time with my hands this winter. I have no dishwasher and I cook for the 4 of us plus 3 extra kids every morning so I do a ton of dishes. A ton. Many times per day. So my hands are literally cracked and bleeding sometimes at the fingertips. It's incredibly painful. I'm buying gloves to wear for the dishes but with the cold being as it is, I'm not sure it'll solve all my problems. I make a lotion with shea butter and coconut oil that I use at least a few times per day but my hands are still a mess. Any ideas how to fix them? They hurt so much. I'm hunting and pecking today because both hands have several cracks and I can't use most of my fingers.

#237 of 850 Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Thats what I'm thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

This! As far as the carseat... how old is your child? Weight, height. What type of carseat are you needing to get? It is possible to get a free carseat through the police dept, fire dept or local health clinic or crisis pregnancy clinic. I'd check on those resources. If not let us know the sizes and age for your child and I'm sure we can find something reasonably affordable. I found carseats for each of my kids for $70 each although I may have gotten by cheaper if I'd have needed to. I'll do whatever I can to help you find something. I'm sure we can figure it out. Past the carseat I totally agree with frugal mama put that money in savings! You can make payments on the debt or worst case scenario let it go and deal with it later but you need that money if cs stops coming. I'd get the necessary carseat and save every other penny I could.

He's 5, 47 in and 53 lbs. We had moved kids around  and put the baby in the diono, the 3 yo in the britax frontier and the 5 yo in a booster. The 5 yo has autism and is not mature enough to sit in it correctly (we thought he was, nope). Because he's such a big kid I feel like a britax frontier 90 would be the best buy over the long run but ot's so spendy.

I guess we could temporarily get a new baby seat, put the 3 yo back in the radian and the 5 yo back in the frontier 70.....

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#238 of 850 Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Thats what I'm thinking...

He's 5, 47 in and 53 lbs. We had moved kids around  and put the baby in the diono, the 3 yo in the britax frontier and the 5 yo in a booster. The 5 yo has autism and is not mature enough to sit in it correctly (we thought he was, nope). Because he's such a big kid I feel like a britax frontier 90 would be the best buy over the long run but ot's so spendy.

I guess we could temporarily get a new baby seat, put the 3 yo back in the radian and the 5 yo back in the frontier 70.....

Two thoughts -

1. Try to get in contact with the Kyle David ****** foundation. Not sure they are still around, but they used to provide car seats free for qualifying families. Even for older kiddos like this. They are a big fan of 5 point harness seats for all ages.

2. Since it's due to his Autism, any chance his Dr. would say it's a medical need and / or put orders for him to get a special needs seat that would work longer / better for him? And maybe insurance would pick up the tab?

I would worry about him quickly outgrowing the height limit for the harness on the Frontier 90 - it only goes up to 58 inches from what I can see on harness, and he would only have 10 inches growth. I know kids that age often hit a growth sport, especially for height. With his autism, would he be ready to use it as a booster without harness in a year or two?

#239 of 850 Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

So unrelated to being poor, I'm having the WORST time with my hands this winter. I have no dishwasher and I cook for the 4 of us plus 3 extra kids every morning so I do a ton of dishes. A ton. Many times per day. So my hands are literally cracked and bleeding sometimes at the fingertips. It's incredibly painful. I'm buying gloves to wear for the dishes but with the cold being as it is, I'm not sure it'll solve all my problems. I make a lotion with shea butter and coconut oil that I use at least a few times per day but my hands are still a mess. Any ideas how to fix them? They hurt so much. I'm hunting and pecking today because both hands have several cracks and I can't use most of my fingers.

Do you have a pair of cotton gloves (or similar?) Maybe slather your hands up with the lotion really well at night and then sleep in the gloves to get it to really soak in.  I don't have a dishwasher either, so I can certainly emphathize!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#240 of 850 Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Nautilus-Car-Seat-Matrix/dp/B0011URFRE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392142411&sr=8-4&keywords=graco+my+ride+65  This is what we have for my nugget.  She's 47lbs and just turned 6.  I'm just not comfortable taking her out of a harness yet.  But it might be a little cheaper than some of the seats you are looking at.  I'm no expert on car seats but I'm a fan of keeping them harnessed as long as possible.  My oldest was harnessed until 7.  My middle was harnessed until 8 and she's 9 and in a booster still.  I'll never forget our trip to NYC when nugget was 2.  She'd been rearfacing up to then.  We rode in a taxi from Battery Park up to Central Park and the ENTIRE time she sat on my lap yelling, "woah!  woah! WOW!"  :laugh  Hysterical.

All right.  I'll update later.  I have to go get my oldest girl and get her to the doctor for a med check.  She needs a major increase on her meds because she's failing out of school again.  *sigh*  Goddamn ADHD and puberty.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page