Shop-stop challenge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here in Norway shop-stop is a "new trend" it seems. Several books written on the subject last year, several big groups on Facebook, and a lot of interviews in the papers/magazines etc.

Is anyone interested in a shop-stop thread here?  Everyone can define their own rules, and use this thread to keep accountable. :thumb

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#2 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I want to shop less, and be more frugal. I want to be even more aware of what I have, what I need, what I can do without and what I can fix/make into something else.

For me, this is something I want to do both for financial and environmental reasons.

My goal:

To shop responsible in 2014.

To use what I have.

To not buy clothes, make up, stuff for the apartment and other "luxury items", unless the item I am replacing is too small/to big/not fixable.

To only buy the items mentioned above if I truly NEED a new item. (No new clothes because I think its pretty. No need curtains only because I want them. Only if I actually need the item.)

Allowed:

We are going to Greece for 2 weeks in June/July, and it is allowed to buy things for the trip, but not without serious thought.

Gifts are allowed. And I am not as strict with my son as I am with myself. (But, he mostly gets his clothes from a 2 year older cousin, so I don`t buy very much stuff for hm. He needs a bike in the spring, though.)

Anyone wanna join me?

#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Ohh I did this last year and completed every single goal and have been able to change some MAJOR habits. These are the ones I completed last year.

Develop my own style. 
Be more open minded to certain pieces
Organize my closet and start building a new wardrobe.
STOP buying things based on "everyone" else has it or it fits in with what is in style.
Do not buy things that don't look perfect on me. If it doesn't fit then send it back and get my money back and spend on something that deserves to be in my closet.

Now I gotta backtrack and look at one of the goals being "start building a new closet". So okay you would think I would have spent more money based on that statement. Nope! Since I only bought pieces and things I truly loved I saved a lot. And if you look at my goals and really think about it I do save a ton because I'm not out buying trendy pieces or buying colors that just do not look good.

All these also apply to buying furniture and things....I stepped away from buying anything that wasn't real wood or amazing quality. I even am trying to build my own furniture. And again because I have to make sure I can afford the good stuff I'm not out spending 50-100 dollars multiple times a month.

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#4 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

lovebugmama - I am not familiar with the shop-stop concept but would like to know more. Could you post a link so that us curious types could read up on it?

thanks

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#5 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 PM

I have committed to doing something similar myself. Nothing new if at all possible besides some food and grocery items.
#6 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM

I'll join in!

My goal is not to buy any thing new, especially clothes for myself, until June (or later). I've been on a bit of a shopping frenzy for the past few months and still feel like I have nothing to wear. I keep buying shirts, etc. thinking it will be the perfect thing and of course it isn't.

If the kids need something, I will shop second hand/consignment (except for shoes).

We spend a ton on groceries. My goal is to shop only once a week. Vs 4-5 times per week currently.

#7 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

lovebugmama - I am not familiar with the shop-stop concept but would like to know more. Could you post a link so that us curious types could read up on it?

thanks

I will see what I can dig up. But, everything I have read about it is in Norwegian, so it might be a little hard for you to read it. :lol I`ll see if I can find anything in English later today.

#8 of 9 Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

lovebugmama -  I think that I get it. Basically stay out of stores and try to buy things used? Try to be conscious of what I spend my money on. I already do this!  I don't know that it is called anything in particular here in the states. Glad to know it has a name!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#9 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

lovebugmama -  I think that I get it. Basically stay out of stores and try to buy things used? Try to be conscious of what I spend my money on. I already do this!  I don't know that it is called anything in particular here in the states. Glad to know it has a name!

Yep, this is where I'm at.  I think most Americans are probably not in this category, though -- our culture is so incredibly consumerist, shopping is an entertainment and a pasttime, and there is all kind of pressure to acquire new and better things.  "Opting out" is always an option!  I made this transition years ago, but I appreciated the support I got here, and now it seems like a completely natural way to do things.  I don't miss "shopping" and the few times I've gone "browsing" in shops this year (mostly at the holidays) it feels like a trip to a foreign land.  LOL.

Kudos for those who are on this journey.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page