Good household accounting software - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I'm looking for recommendations. I want something that is easy to use and allows me to track income and expenditures in different categories. It doesn't need to be free, but it cannot be too expensive. I am familiar with Quicken, but before I buy it I want to get an idea what else is out there.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#2 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use You Need a Budget, and I really like it. When I first got it I only used it for a month or two & then got overwhelmed and stopped for a couple months. When I started up again, I started using the import feature (I can export right from my bank account) and that makes it much easier. It was around $60, I think, which I felt like was a lot of money, but it has been so worth it. I've been using it for a year now so I was able to see what we spent in different categories & I feel like I have a much better handle on where our money is going. Most of this year, I've felt like I'm just guessing month to month (putting aside money for things like holidays & car repairs) and before that? Forget it. It was all just "yeah, it looks like we have money for that" followed by "wait, where did all that money go?"
Wild Lupine likes this.
#3 of 12 Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM

We also use You Need a Budget.  We've been using it for almost 2 years.  I like the software a lot.  I think we had a coupon, so only paid $45 for it, rather than $60, which I believe is the regular price.  You can download a 30 day trial of the software from their website for free.  The trial is a full-featured version, so you truly know what you are going to get.

While $60 is expensive, my recollection is that it is less than Quicken.  And YNAB doesn't put out new versions of the software and stop supporting the old ones, forcing you to upgrade.  And you can download a free iPhone app (not sure if it's also available on Android phones, though I think it is), which you can easily sync with the desktop version, so you have your budget with you everywhere you go.

YNAB does not have all the features that Quicken has.  YNAB's purpose is to track traditional income (like from a job) and spending.  If you want to track your complete financial picture, like how much you've got left in principle on your mortgage, or your retirement account through work, YNAB does not have good built-in mechanisms for handling these.  I've managed to come up with some work arounds, and since tracking income and expenses was our primary purpose for acquiring financial software, I'm happy with YNAB.

Wild Lupine likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try the free trial. I am setting up a new household this weekend, with a new bank account and everything, so it is a perfect time start something like this. 

I don't have fancy things like a mortgage (not anymore anyway :( ) so I don't need that kind of tracking.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#5 of 12 Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM

I work in accounting and use Quicken for our home finances and have for years but find the retirement features less than user friendly.
#6 of 12 Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM

I'm another happy,  You Need A Budget user! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#7 of 12 Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Another happy YNAB user here as well. I use version 3 which doesn't have as many features, but works well for me.

If you can find someone who upgraded from version 3 to version 4, they are allowed to gift the key for version 3 to someone else. I got our free as a online friend upgraded. They also do coupon codes fairly often - I've seen YNAB as low as $30 before.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#8 of 12 Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I did a 30 day trial of YNAB and really liked it. I just bought the full version. Thanks for the recommendations!

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mint.com does tracking like that, and budgeting. And it's free. I like it a lot.

Wild Lupine likes this.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#10 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Mint.com does tracking like that, and budgeting. And it's free. I like it a lot.

I used Mint prior to YNAB and the major difference is you can plan for the future.  Where Mint only allows you to budget for this month, YNAB allows you to budget out and encourages you to put extra money into a buffer category so that eventually you save enough to pay for this months expenses form last months income instead of the way that most of us do it, by paying for this months expenses with this months income.   

Wild Lupine likes this.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#11 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

I used Mint prior to YNAB and the major difference is you can plan for the future.  Where Mint only allows you to budget for this month, YNAB allows you to budget out and encourages you to put extra money into a buffer category so that eventually you save enough to pay for this months expenses form last months income instead of the way that most of us do it, by paying for this months expenses with this months income.   

Good to know. I do that anyways with other planning methods, but, if the cost of YNAB is worth the extras, that sounds like a good system.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#12 of 12 Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 AM

I got an amazing black Friday deal or I likely wouldn't have taken the plunge.  I also have to say that I fell off the wagon with Mint because it was all automatic.  With YNAB I sit down once a week and log all of my spending, income and bills and it keeps me aware.  It's working for me, but if I fall off the wagon with this one it will be much harder to catch up.   

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page