Need tips for saving money - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for tips to save money. Does anyone have any for me?

I do a monthly budget, cloth diaper, and use family cloth. I have $14,500 in credit card debt and 18,500 in student loans, 12000 left on my car payment. I'm a teacher who has my summers off so I considered offering summer childcare in my home for 2 children. I have 2 of my own. I'm not sure though.

I'm making two monthly medical payments of ($100 and $30) . I set up an interest free payment plan with the hospital because we had a hospital visit to a pediatric neurologist with EEG. I've thought about calling them to see if I call make smaller payments each month so I can pay off my high interest credit cards faster.

I'm trying to pay off credit cards quickly because I have the opportunity to buy a brand new house once it's built. The guy wants to start building next month and it will probably take about a year to build. He needs a down payment now which I have but I don't want to be loose my down payment because once the house is done I don't qualify for a loan due to debt to income ratio. I have good credit so that is no problem. All but $1,000 of my student loans will be forgiven in a year from May but I'm not sure that would be soon enough to help me with my debt to income ratio. I plan to have $7,000 of the credit card debt paid off by July this year and the rest of the credit card debt paid off by January. Any suggestions of what I can do to pay off things faster? I've cut out the extras. The banker said I'd have that year to get the cards paid off and I really want the house (it kind of a special situation) but I'm not sure if that's way too risky.

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would be wary of giving a down payment for a house that doesn't exist yet.  Unless "the guy" is a reputable company with an extremely long history and solid financial backing, I would worry that your money might disappear.  

#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are plenty of houses on the house tree, no hurry--take a year or two or three to get rid of all that debt, and then you'll be in much better shape to buy (and keep up) a house.

Just because the banker is willing to loan you money at a certain debt-to-income ratio, doesn't mean that it would be good for you to do it.

Tags
Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page