WW DR Do? use IRA to pay off student loans, yes or no? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted about my IRA a couple months ago, I do not have it invested and I am pretty confused about it. Anyway, I have 5000$ in an IRA. I also have about 11000$ in debt. of that debt 7200$ of it is in the form of student loans. I recently read you can withdrawal IRA for either a first home purchase or student loans/college tuition without penalty (i didn't know that!!). So essentially I could pay off almost all of my student debt with my IRA. currently 2 of three loan are defered. They are  set to end in April for one and June in another. When they end they will add 150$ of bills to my already strapped budget. So what would dave ramsey or any savvy person do in this situation?? Advice?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#2 of 9 Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know what Dave would do, but I do know Suze Ormond would say no way.

#3 of 9 Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That's tricky. When I googled it, he says no, I believe because even though there is no penalty it will count as income possibly putting you in a higher tax bracket, and you will pay tax on any money earned as interest.  It might depend on your exact financial situation but I think he'd say no.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#4 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

And it also depends on your age too.  25 vs 40 would make a big difference.

#5 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM

No no and no!  Never cash in retirement (you'll also have to pay taxes which will be more expensive than the debt interest rate, likely) for debt.  Cut down expenses or get an extra job.  

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#6 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

I am not working right now so I dont think it will put me in a higher tax bracket. Getting an extra job is out because any side jobs will make me no money due to child care I already have on side job but with looking for an actual job and taking classes and having no free babysitter it is difficult to take on more. My ex doesn't have a normal schedule so he can't take the kids for me so I can work. If I plan to use the ira it would be in June so I still have time to research etc.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 9 Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM

I'm curious about this because you have mentioned it before. You say it is in an Ira,but not 'invested'. What does that mean? Is the money actually in a brokerage/institutions hands? Because if its not, it's not truly in an Ira. If it isn't invested, it's not doing anything.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

It is with a firm but not invested. My ex set it up and we separated 2 months later. He put the money in a roth ira. I know nothing of investing and not sure what to do with it. It is just sitting there.

#9 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I absolutely would not - retirement savings are so important. Also, most student loans have incredibly low interest rates, so it's not the worst kind of debt to carry. I would say pay off your revolving debt with higher interests rates first, and avoid cutting into your retirement savings if at all possible. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page