We need more money but no clue how - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today is April 8th and we've already overdrawn out bank account by almost $200. My husband gets paid once a month and was paid a week ago. We've got our bills paid until our next check, so that's not a problem until next month. But we still need gas and food through the rest of the month. I get paid twice this month, but I work 14 hrs or less at a min wage job-my paychecks don't count for much. Plus I had to take a couple of days off a couple wks ago and in retaliation, my employer scheduled me for very few hours last week (yeah, they are that petty...) so my paychecks are going to be worth even less than usual. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. I've been looking for a full time job, but the jobs I'm qualified for pay just enough for us to pay for daycare. Its basically a wash. I'm trying to bring in a couple of kids to watch during the day, but so far no one's bitten. I...I don't know what to do.

We've borrowed money from family over and over through the years and its to the point where asking for more makes me feel sick, but I don't know what else to do. Obviously, we need more cash immediately but we also need a longer term fix. My husband works M-F 12-830 with an hour commute each way most of the year. He works for a university, so once the summer term starts, he schedule switches to 730-4. That will be at the end of this month at which point he's planning to get a second job and I'm going to open my schedule up to work during the week. We'll alternate evenings. But as you can imagine, his odd schedule makes finding part time jobs difficult. 

But that still leaves us with--what do we do right now? What can I do to pull in money immediately?? We don't have anything worth selling other than my engagement ring and selling that would probably destroy my husband. He already feels like he can't provide for his family. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would seriously appreciate it. Not only for the immediate (though that is my biggest concern) but also for the long run.

Thank you.

ETA: We have paid back the money that we've owed family over the years--at least what they will take. We always offer once we've got it.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#2 of 11 Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Plasma donation? My husband used to do it. Not really ideal but you can do it twice a week and get paid that day.

Do you qualify for any assistance like WIC or SNAP? I'm not sure about WIC but SNAP takes 30 days so if you know you are going to be in the same place again next month you may want to start the paperwork now if that is something you feel comfortable doing.

sillysapling likes this.

#3 of 11 Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I thought of plasma donation after I posted this. That's probably going to be our best bet. No, its not ideal, but it's way better than this.

We do not qualify for SNAP by about $100 a month. For us to qualify, I'd have to quit my job and the amount we'd get wouldn't be worth it. For some reason, I always forget about WIC. I'm going to look into that right now! Thank you!!

fruitfulmomma likes this.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#4 of 11 Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Are there any food shelves/food pantries in your area?

You could ask family and friends for odd jobs (spring cleaning jobs, etc.) that you could do for them for pay.

#5 of 11 Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure there are food pantries around. I'll call some of the churches in the area and see what I can find.

We are watching my parents dog for several weeks towards the end of the month. Its possible they will pay us for it. I'll figure that one out. My FIL lives alone and may go for some spring cleaning...Ideas to consider.

Thank you!!

#6 of 11 Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

A very creative solution a friend did in a similar situation was overnight childcare. If you live near a hospital, or any place else that employs shift workers, there might be an unmet need. You would need to learn about licensing requirements in your state, but my friend did not need to be licensed to take care of the children of just one family - in her case, it was 3 kids, and the state subsidized the childcare for the family. So she was paid for 9 hours a night, times 3 kids, and they all mostly slept through it!

Another thought is selling some crafty product on Etsy. If you knit, sew, or some other skill, perhaps you could set up a shop to sell some product that doesn't require a huge investment in materials. Setting up the shop is simple and free.

I wish you the best. I hear the fear in your post, but also the strong resolve to Find A Way. I know you will do it!

3xMama and swede like this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#7 of 11 Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can you do online tutoring or being a virtual assistant? You can do both at home and your kids don't have to goto daycare.. 

I can hear the resolve to find  a way, in your post as well. Good luck! 

Hope WIC works out. Please also consider Church ministries (They welcome everyone even if you do not belong to that church) and food pantries in your area. 

Do you have some place to garden? If yes, you can ask for free seeds on freecycle. 

Post on craigslist, if you are interested in cleaning homes. You can choose the time / days (say, weekends only) that works for you. Once you have 1-3 houses established as regular customers, it will work well in the long run. Don't discount the money you bring in, however small it is. Every little bit adds value.

Can you walk dogs during the time your husband is home so he can watch the kids? Craigslist ads will work well. You can get a feel of the dog before you commit... 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#8 of 11 Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

A very creative solution a friend did in a similar situation was overnight childcare. If you live near a hospital, or any place else that employs shift workers, there might be an unmet need. You would need to learn about licensing requirements in your state, but my friend did not need to be licensed to take care of the children of just one family - in her case, it was 3 kids, and the state subsidized the childcare for the family. So she was paid for 9 hours a night, times 3 kids, and they all mostly slept through it!

Another thought is selling some crafty product on Etsy. If you knit, sew, or some other skill, perhaps you could set up a shop to sell some product that doesn't require a huge investment in materials. Setting up the shop is simple and free.

I wish you the best. I hear the fear in your post, but also the strong resolve to Find A Way. I know you will do it!

The overnight childcare is an interesting option. I am not near a hospital or factory, but I know after looking through daycares several weeks ago that 24hr childcare is not easily obtained. I'll have to talk with DH about this one in depth-I'm not sure he'd be comfortable having someone else's kid here overnight, but its worth exploring.

Unfortunately, I'm not crafty and I don't have any supplies to even try to be crafty. 

Thank you so much for the encouragement! It was really nice to hear. You're right, I am scared but I will find a way!! :thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakti77 View Post

Can you do online tutoring or being a virtual assistant? You can do both at home and your kids don't have to goto daycare.. 

I can hear the resolve to find  a way, in your post as well. Good luck! 

Hope WIC works out. Please also consider Church ministries (They welcome everyone even if you do not belong to that church) and food pantries in your area. 

Do you have some place to garden? If yes, you can ask for free seeds on freecycle. 

Post on craigslist, if you are interested in cleaning homes. You can choose the time / days (say, weekends only) that works for you. Once you have 1-3 houses established as regular customers, it will work well in the long run. Don't discount the money you bring in, however small it is. Every little bit adds value.

Can you walk dogs during the time your husband is home so he can watch the kids? Craigslist ads will work well. You can get a feel of the dog before you commit... 

Dog walking and house cleaning are some good ideas. I'll throw a couple of ads up on Craigslist for those options. I can do those things more or less on my schedule. Pet sitting, too. 

What is a virtual assistant? I've not heard that term before. I have gotten several "work from home all you need is office equipment!" emails from my resume on careerbuilder but they always seemed like a scam to me. Have I possibly been tossing perfectly good job options out?! Or the other email I've gotten a lot of is "we'll ship packages to you and you just have to ship them on for us!" and that one really confuses me. Why can't they just ship the package directly to where it needs to go? headscratch.gif Seems fishy to me. 

Thank you so much for the thoughts!!

#9 of 11 Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

We are heading to a plasma donation center tomorrow, so hopefully that will pull through for us!

fruitfulmomma likes this.

#10 of 11 Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

your husband's one hour commute must be killing you in gas.  Does he take public transportation?  If not, do you drive a fuel efficient vehicle?  I say this because my family just chose to move out of our beloved small city to the city where my husband works to save on commuting costs, which are, conservatively, .50/mile.  When I calculated my husbands round trip commuting costs that was $995/mo!  Of course much of that is also car deprecation and wear and tear.  Despite moving to the city we are also going to sell our SUV, valued at about 3k and buy a more fuel efficient used car.  

I am not sure if it will be your cup of tea, but I have started reading a blog called mrmoneymustache.com  and have learned so much about money and living efficiently.  There is a wonderful forum there too.  At first the blog bothered me because many readers are much higher income than our one income family, but I realized that you can live more efficiently at every income bracket.  Over the course of a few months, we've downgraded to low speed internet, prepaid cell phones, no cable/netflix (just use amazon prime), shop at costco, and are going to buy bikes so we can reduce our fuel costs even further.  

sounds like what you need in the long run is to increase income, but with young children I know that is hard.  perhaps your husband can work some overtime at the unversity, and keep his eyes out for positions you are qualified on campus as well.  But in the short term reducing your expenses such as gas/commuting can hopefully help you break even.

Best wishes

#11 of 11 Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 AM

The overnight child care idea made me think....what about date night child care?  Have a few kids over on Friday and Sat nights for parents to get out for a few hours.  Make popcorn (inexpensive), watch movies, play games....  I know we would love to find someone who did that in our area!    

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page