Did anyone notice price increase on food?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-13-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I live in the South East and I usually shop at Aldi for most staples like milk and eggs. Suddenly both the eggs and the milk jumped up in price significantly in just a couple of weeks. Milk went up to $2.99 and eggs went up to $1.99 which means Aldi is no longer the cheapest store for those items in my area.. Hmm. Just wondering, did anyone notice similar price increases recently in their stores, Aldi or other grocery stores??? I did stock up on eggs this week since most stores have a special on eggs for 99 cents a dozen because of Easter, but otherwise I am trying to figure out if I need to find a different store to shop at... or did all the stores increase their prices recently?

familybed2.gif, bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIF, mom to DS winky.gif 6 and DD 3 and a wife to DH for 12 years partners.gif  veganeat.gif,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

milk went up here a month or so ago about 25 cents at walmart and 50 cents at the local grocery store. i only buy eggs once a month and i haven't noticed the prices.

#3 of 28 Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM

Yes, food prices have definitely gone up here too. The drought in California probably will further increase food prices for the summer.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#4 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 AM

We are a petrol driven society, that is why. Food has also to be brought by air and sea, and fuel prices are always on the increase. in England the average cost of a gallon of petrol is £7. Diesel costs even more. Heavy fuel oil that ships use is slowly rising although commercial shippers including fishermen do receive discount on their fuel tonnage.

What annoys me is UK food nutritionalists in the UK are now saying 5-per-day is not enough. They say people need to be eating 7 (fresh fruit and veg) per day. They don't realise that the cost of such can rocket the weekly food bill of the average family. Bakers have increased the price of their bread; an average family gets through at least one loaf a day and it all adds up.

So what are the alternatives? For a start, we can make our own bread and if we have land, grow our fruit and veg. Though that is time consuming it's not impossible. But everything else is getting expensive no matter where you are in the world and those who live on islands, imported goods including petrol is getting costly.

Last winter in the UK saw so much rain that we farmers have suffered badly. We still can't sow crops because our fields remain soggy and wet. Up north it won't be til June that farmers can sow wheat and barley. Cattle fodder is already being imported from Europe, but even those prices are getting steep. Cereal will increase in price as wheat this year will become scarce, and I will bet that supermarkets will not decrease their retail prices even when cereals' manufacture lessens in two years' time. That said, all depends on our weather, not forgetting the cost of fuel.

#5 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I was just saying this on the low income thread yesterday. All of a sudden prices jumped again. Things have gotten tough.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I was just saying this on the low income thread yesterday. All of a sudden prices jumped again. Things have gotten tough.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your weekly gropcery bill based on two?

For two here in England, the average weekly bill from any supermarket is £80

#7 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM

Mine is hard to calculate for a small amt like that. I feed one adult and three kids all meals and snacks for $450ish but that also includes three extra kids on weekday mornings. So I do bulk cooking along with a few convenience foods since I'm a working mom but I also feed a lot more people than you.

#8 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
We spend more on groceries per month than we do any other bill. Crazy.
#9 of 28 Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Mine is hard to calculate for a small amt like that. I feed one adult and three kids all meals and snacks for $450ish but that also includes three extra kids on weekday mornings. So I do bulk cooking along with a few convenience foods since I'm a working mom but I also feed a lot more people than you.

Well, actually, I was only basing an average weekly grocery bill based on two people to simplify the equasion, when really I live with a large family of 8, plus my toddler and my aunty's baby boy. Totalled up including toileteries for my younger ever-needy sisters and cleaning groceries in addition to food, and our weekly shopping bill could easily rise to as much as £800. Regarding the dreaded Christmas, I could easily double the amount. Just not worth thinking about. Thank goodness Christmas only comes once a year.

Supermarket managers know how to manipulate their customers into spending far more than what is on their shopping list, impulse buying is made all the easier by their placing "shelf barkers" on either ends of their aisles. Special BOGOFs are often back-stock the managers want to shift. They go to extraordinary lengths to out-psyche us which is why it's so easy to end up spending far more than what we really need. =/

#10 of 28 Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I suppose one nice thing about eggs getting expensive is that it's easier to justify buying local, properly free range... I haven't notice an increase in that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

If you don't mind my asking, what is your weekly gropcery bill based on two?

For two here in England, the average weekly bill from any supermarket is £80

We get about $450/month food stamps and generally can make that last the month, including formula, sometimes with a little spare. Add on about $30 because we get meat at the butcher's which isn't covered. At his most expensive, formula was $50/week and we still managed- so, I guess, about $300/month for two adults. Then there was the two months that social security screwed us around and we didn't get ANY help and had no choice but to leave kiddo on the awful WIC formula he did so badly on, I don't really want to think about what we lived off of each week then... Thankfully my dad helped.

I do know some families that are able to manage on $30/week... I think that's per person, but I may be wrong. I see people talking about how to manage $10/week of groceries, sometimes even less. My MIL is in the UK on a fixed income and I don't think she spends even 40/week on her self, I'm almost certain my FIL doesn't.

And then you get the extreme couponers who get thousands of dollars worth of food for $5...

#11 of 28 Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Im impressed you get milk and eggs so cheap. Cheap eggs are $2-3 here, and milk is at least $5 a gallon. Cheese is $5 or more a pound also.

I have 5 kids, and spend at least $200-300 a week on groceries. If we eat grains mostly, its the lower end, fruits and veggies, the higher. Just dh and I would still be about $100 a week.
erickajen likes this.
#12 of 28 Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post

We get about $450/month food stamps and generally can make that last the month, including formula, sometimes with a little spare. Add on about $30 because we get meat at the butcher's which isn't covered. At his most expensive, formula was $50/week and we still managed- so, I guess, about $300/month for two adults. Then there was the two months that social security screwed us around and we didn't get ANY help and had no choice but to leave kiddo on the awful WIC formula he did so badly on, I don't really want to think about what we lived off of each week then... Thankfully my dad helped.

I do know some families that are able to manage on $30/week... I think that's per person, but I may be wrong. I see people talking about how to manage $10/week of groceries, sometimes even less. My MIL is in the UK on a fixed income and I don't think she spends even 40/week on her self, I'm almost certain my FIL doesn't.

And then you get the extreme couponers who get thousands of dollars worth of food for $5...

This couponing interests me. In England we have nothing anywhere like it, though I remember my grandma talking about Green Shield Stamps back in the 1960's. The closest British shoppers get are Tesco Clubcard points and Nectar, the latter I use to gain points every time we fill up our petrol to spend on myself in Boots or Next when I'm on a shop for clothes, lipstick and gurl stuff. (Not forgetting my sisters' needs though I give them a monthly allowance). Tesco Clubcard points amount to more or les one and the same, though I never shop with them, use Sainsbury's (my fave supermarket) to receive 5p off every litre. "Every little helps" was Tesco's advertising byline for their cheapjack groceries, but I believe that you gets what you pays for.

We have our own chickens, so saving on the cost of 'Woodland Free Range Large Eggs' ringing in at £1.30 for 6. Six eggs wouldn't last 5 minutes in our kitchen, not with my hungry hoarde! :laughThen we save on milk as have cows, and I get to make us traditional clotted cream, though it's a labour of love. Organic meat such as lamb we buy in, although breeding sheep, it just doesn't hold well serving up a leg of lamb "Here, have another slice of Daisy". There'd be an outcry. Same with beef although we buy at wholesale prices from a butcher we know and do meat deals with.

I made a mistake on the estimated £800. Kitty showed me the receipt: It was knocking on £590. I'd bought her a nice leather jacket and jeans, boots and tops for when we went away. With mum Rachel having respite care in a local hospice, we are living on the farm's earnings from dairy to cereal crops, plus my fruit growing business' monies that is very carefully budgeted during the months ahead so none of my family go without. We have a lovely aunt who shares paying the utility bills as well as finacially contributing. All told it's long hours that we do, 24/7 as the farm can't run itself and grocery payments, clothing, cost of petrol and car maintainence bills just keep on coming. But we eat well. We live well, but by gum we sure work the hours to attain it.

#13 of 28 Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I noticed. Milk prices have jumped up by almost a dollar in the last month. Fortunately it's not hitting our budget as yet, because I'm pretty good at stockpiling staples and non-perishables when I can get them at rock-bottom prices with sales and coupons (all of the advance planning and clipping does pay off). And we'll have the garden producing in the next 6 weeks or so for fresh veg, so that will help over the summer.

Milk though... it's more expensive than gas right now! Trying to round out our dairy intake with more cheese and yogurt (which have more frequent sales and coupons) will be the next step for us if it increases much more. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 28 Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It is only going to get worse. The drought is awful in California. It hasn't made a difference here yet (Southern Califorina) but it will.

#15 of 28 Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 AM

Walmart-Asda sell 4 pints of milk for just £1. Our milk quotas are already stretched as it is. Supermarkets though selling milk at low prices such as them, still manage make a 40% markup. Pirates!

#16 of 28 Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our grocery bill got tightened up a bit we don't convince cook our do take out for family of three with balanced diet and healthy snacks we spend $60 a week. So we really haven't noticed it to much. Sometimes a matter of changing meat cut. We buy chicken quarters and this with bone in skin on. Just remove skin and bone for a healthier alternative, make our own bread only buy fresh or frozen veggie. Made own baby food
#17 of 28 Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The eggs are killing me. Right now, I am very limited on how long and where I can shop from an injury. I buy 5 dozen in a flat. 6 months ago it was $5 now as of Thursday, I paid $8.99, a 40% increase. It is still a cheap source of protien but still.

Heidi
#18 of 28 Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I was super happy to discover today that the Target Simply Balanced milk coupons are back - if you buy your milk at Target, print them now!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#19 of 28 Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM

I couldn't find hot dog buns for cheaper than $2.99 yesterday. Cheap Saturday night meal, or so I thought! Hot dog buns, people!!! That's a $1.69 item!!

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#20 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have definitely noticed bread prices are up.  If grains prices are up then meat and poultry prices are sure to follow. 

#21 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 AM

Prices are indeed going up! I saw a report on the news the other day.  For me it means more planning and making substitutions where I can.  Buying 'in season' produce and stretching meats by making one dish meals also helps.  You don't have to compromise good nutrition which is most important.

#22 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I noticed and asked my grocer (Thriftwat, Northwest).  He said that prices on milk and eggs are both up, and that his profit margins are actually down because the wholesale prices jumped significantly.  

#23 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Ive def noticed eggs increasing in our area. This week eggs jumped 20 more cents. I hoped they would be on sale with easter. Since going low carb eggs have become a larger part of our diet,and while they are still one of the lowest priced forms of protein they are steadily creeping up. I think Im going to look into the natural food store soon and see if independant farmers are increasing as fast. Ive been wanting to switch to local eggs anyway for health reasons and less waste.
#24 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You know I was just grumping about this last week...I went and picked up 2 dozen eggs and stood there and chewed my lip for 3 minutes over whether I really needed them or not(Easter eggs and baking)...they were $2.79 each greensad.gif I did buy them but had to take something else off my list....And those were the cheap store brand!
#25 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Mylie, I did the same thing this week. Eggs! Seriously? greensad.gif

#26 of 28 Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM

Ooof, and I thought our egg price was high. Im so thankful to aldi!
#27 of 28 Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I haven't noticed the price increase too bad. They were up really high on eggs at the local grocery but since I usually buy those at WM I thought maybe it was just that store. Milk isn't too much of an item here as I have a severely lactose intolerant child that can't have dairy. We use rice and almond milks mostly. Eggs are a big big item here though. We just got chickens although if prices are up so high then I may need a few more. I guess I really need to get to planting and considering more items if prices are increasing again. Ugh

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#28 of 28 Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM

yes, many of the things I by occasionally but not weekly have gone up.  I've been saving receipts over the past month or so to go back and review and try to redo a 'best price' list and reevaluate where I get each thing.  Also, some things that used to go on sale regularly for a low price now go on sale less often and for not as good a deal (like the cheese and coffee I buy) - and the limits are lower.  For example, I used to be able to get a 2# block of  Tillamook cheddar on sale for 4.99 and you could get 2.  It happened often enough that I didn't need to pay more.  Now it is much less often, the best price I've seen in months is 5.99 and you could only get 1.  Not a huge amt of $ but all of those things add up.

I had been getting quite a bit from Azure and they do have good prices but unfortunately our drop site hasn't been meeting its minimum every month and many of my orders have been bumped..... Because of that I missed out on a bunch of the bulk fruit/veggies I usually get in the fall to preserve for the year.  I will have to have more options this year - and hope to maybe recruit a few more people to join our drop so our orders go though.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page