Easter when your broke aka I need some easter candy recipes! (gluten, dairy, soy, peanut free) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Money is beyond tight and what little money I was hoping for didn't happen since I couldn't even donate plasma since I've been sick, I have $2 to my name and I need easter basket ideas! My mom pulled baskets out of her decorating stuff along with some easter grass. I picked up some of those marshmallow bunnys but missed the fact they now have milk and the choc marshmallow eggs are being listed online as containing gluten so it looks like I have nothing beyond a pack of gum for the baskets.

I need ideas for treats/goodies I can make a home to put in the baskets. I have a fairly well stocked pantry, I know I can make both cinnamon and black anise glass candy. Was thinking about making some donuts as its been a very long time since they've had those but I wanted to serve those with breakfast.

I need recipes that have already been made with the subs so I know it works, we don't have enough in the pantry to waste anything on experiments since were eating out of the pantry for the next 2 weeks.

I need to make baskets for dd7, almost 8 who is kinda happy go lucky and dd13 who is delayed with autism and more or less 6 years old so I can make the baskets the same.

Seriously?
#2 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who is vegan and she makes some pretty amazing things....a search for vegan Easter candy will probably give you more recipes, but she's made these as written, and also replaced the mint with vanilla extract for a completely different flavor...both were really good.  Maybe add a few drops of food coloring too?  http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2011/11/28/homemade-peppermint-patties/

And these....not candy, but these were cute and good:  http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/16/spring-chick-cupcakes/

Is almond butter okay?  If so, I've made these (good!) and they could be shaped into eggs (or pressed into molds?) and then dipped: http://paleomg.com/easy-chocolate-almond-butter-cups/

Good luck!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM

I really like the suggestions already given.....

What about dark chocolate shredded coconut haystack "nests" or Gluten free playdough

Sorry I don't have specific recipes for you.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm not much help with making things, but if you can find Gimballs Jelly Beans they are top 8 allergy safe. I've seen them at Walgreens for around $3 a bag for the big bags - you could maybe fill plastic eggs to stretch them out.

Would returning the non-safe candy that you bought be an option? Maybe you could use those funds to buy something else?

Are you crafty in any way? Maybe if you knit / crochet / sew you could make a little something for each basket?

One year when I was a kid & my mom was broke she made coupons for me - little slips of wrapping paper put in empty oatmeal container. On the slips were things like old fashioned night {turn off all lights & use lamps, etc}, trip to the park, special help mom cook the meal of your choice, etc - all things that cost nothing or nearly nothing.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#5 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Do your girls like chocolate? Do you have any candy Molds and safe chocolate chips you could melt down for suckers and candy pieces? What about making rock candy? Hm gummies are Super easy to make if you have Molds...

My 6 year old is gfdfsf so we have been there too...
#6 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

I'm not much help with making things, but if you can find Gimballs Jelly Beans they are top 8 allergy safe. I've seen them at Walgreens for around $3 a bag for the big bags - you could maybe fill plastic eggs to stretch them out.

Would returning the non-safe candy that you bought be an option? Maybe you could use those funds to buy something else?

Are you crafty in any way? Maybe if you knit / crochet / sew you could make a little something for each basket?

One year when I was a kid & my mom was broke she made coupons for me - little slips of wrapping paper put in empty oatmeal container. On the slips were things like old fashioned night {turn off all lights & use lamps, etc}, trip to the park, special help mom cook the meal of your choice, etc - all things that cost nothing or nearly nothing.

I LOVE this coupon idea. One in each egg would be awesome!
#7 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

I LOVE this coupon idea. One in each egg would be awesome!

I literally just saw the coupon idea on Pinterest! 

Two treats that are easy to make and are gluten free are rice crispy treats (all you need are rice crispies, marshmallows and butter or margarine) and peanut butter balls (peanut butter, powdered sugar and chocolate) or peanut butter Easter eggs. You could also make frosted shortbread cookies.

If you know how to sew and have some fabric, you could make bunny plushies that look like the bunny peeps to go in the basket. Other non-candy basket fillers - Lego friendship bracelets, DIY super balls, and paper pinwheels

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Oh, and buttermints! If you don't have peppermint extract, any other flavor would just as tasty I'd think. :-) Or bunny cake pops (I give the link for the picture, not the use of the boxed cake mix!).

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#9 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Okay, one more idea... OP, your post got the wheels turning! For an Easter egg hunt you could do a scavenger hunt - each egg would contain a clue, and the prize at the end is the Easter baskets. Cuts down on the number of egg fillers you need, and also makes for a fun activity. 

#10 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM

This came to me last night: meringues!  Inexpensive ingredients, and I bet with a pastry bag (or a sandwich bag with a hole cut out of one corner) you could make them into bunny shapes. 

4evermom and pumabearclan like this.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#11 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

This came to me last night: meringues!  Inexpensive ingredients, and I bet with a pastry bag (or a sandwich bag with a hole cut out of one corner) you could make them into bunny shapes. 

High in protein!!

#12 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Meringues are my favorite "need to bring something have no money for ingredients" thing to bring to gatherings. Plus they are one of my son's favorites, work with many allergies, and aren't as common as the ubiquitous pan of brownies.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 13 Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 AM

I have to give you kudos on this post.  I know so many who would run to a big box store, buy up whatever, throw it on a credit card and never look back.  Your careful thought and observation is going to ensure that not only will your kids have a great, meaningful holiday full of wonderful things (including YOU!), but what a terrific example you are setting for them; think ahead, don't live above your means, work with what you have, and above all else care about those close to you.

Good on you!

kanani and pumabearclan like this.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page