• 1 Post By Catholic Mama
  • 1 Post By Catholic Mama
  • 1 Post By Red
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, I am trying to decide what to do about dropping cable altogether. I am wondering if streaming TV through Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu is something to look into. It would be mainly for the kids. My husband only watches hockey, and our team just was bounced out of the playoffs last night, so he has no interest in watching until the next season starts (October). My kids are fans of Scooby Doo, My little pony, PBS kids/sprout. They don't watch THAT much, but that's what they like. I don't really watch tv at all. So, I would love BTDT experience with Hulu, Amazon etc. Right now we are paying $90/month just for cable (Dish network). We get a lot of channels, but its mostly crap and like I said above, hockey is over for us until October. I got a quote from Comcast. We already use them for internet and land line. To add cable, comparable to the amount of channels we have now, it would be around $120/month total for all three services. Currently, adding all that together we are paying $160/month... $70/month Comcast, $90/month Dish. Any advice?

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#2 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We use Netflix and love it! It's $7.99 a month, and we get our money's worth. There are lots of PBS shows on there (Caillou, Daniel Tiger, Thomas, Super Why, Dino Train), as well as other kid stuff.

If the urge strikes, there are also tons of grown up movies and tv shows.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had cable or internet for a couple of years due to financial reasons (I do have a smartphone, this is how I post).

We subscribe to Netflix and get movies and tv shows in the mail for $25/month. They have a large selection and I like watching this vs commercial free and on my own time. Also, our local library has a decent selection of movies, particularly "public service" oriented material such as PBS, Nova, and BBC productions.

Of course my smartphone is expensive (my last vice!), but I no longer pay $165/mo for cable and internet on the computer. Netflix and the library are quite sufficient.
#4 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the Netflix recommendation. I just signed up for a free month. I checked it out a bit and it looks great. I do like that you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want, commercial free vs the opposite of that. Now, I have to figure out a way to hook my laptop to the regular tv. It's older so I'm not sure if it's going to work. We shall see.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#5 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Your viewing sounds similar to ours (and our kids like the same shows).....mostly kid shows and not all that much.  We just ditched our cable which will result in a savings of ~$700/year.  That's insane, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner given how much we actually watch TV.  We have Netflix ($7.99/month) and were already subscribers to Amazon Prime (~$75/year) so we get content through that as well.  We have a Roku box (not sure how much that cost) that somehow gets all of that to the TV, and then there is a lot of content associated with the Roku (PBS is the main one we use).  My husband is the IT guy in our house so the details of the Roku box are a bit sketchy.  Good luck....I don't think you'll miss cable at all.

bereamama likes this.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#6 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM

We got rid of cable and I personally have not missed it.  We were subscribers to Hulu Plus and Netflix but now only have Netflix (we were not using Hulu much).  We also have an antenna that allows us to pick up CBS, ABC, NBC, Public Broadcasting, FOX, and CW all in HD.  Our kids are young so they only care about cartoons.  I love it because with our public broadcasting channel and netflix we miss all the commercials trying to seduce our children and save money!

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#7 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We only have the limited basic (local channels) cable, we ditched the expensive package about 6 years ago.  I called to cancel this one and our overall bill would go UP, definitely not impressed.  :irked

We have the cheapest Netflix streaming plan and the Amazon content we get since we are already Prime members.  It's definitely more than enough for us.  If we had another decently fast way to get internet then I would love to cut the cord to cable all together.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

We've never had cable. We do have netflix which has a special kids section with a ton of stuff, not much Scooby Doo though.

For me and hubby, we watch our handful of tv shows via Hula or the network websites which usually are about an episode behind what is played on cable.

#9 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Our library's DVDs satisfy our TV/video needs (we have a large regional system), plus some of the free shows on Hulu.  I get news from our TV station's website and internet radio.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#10 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Go ahead and drop cable. You won't miss it. I haven't had cable tv since 2006. I still pay $60 just for internet tho, which is a drag.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#11 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I dropped cable a long time ago and it was kind of hard at first.  Then I started filling up our time with things like sewing, gardening, making music, dancing, getting out for walks and runs.  Generally we are far happier and far healthier since we gave it up.  We all still have our favorite shows.  I watch Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife by streaming them for free the day after they air on PBS.  My daughter as a couple of disney shows she binge watches when she has a free day (not so many of them).  I like netflix because we turn it on and off as we need without losing our list of things we want to see.  I pay for it during school holidays only which is really the only time we have to watch it.  We watch movies/tv shows on weekends from the library or from redbox.  I also pick up dvds at yard sales on occasion, but don't really like to have to store them as we have a very small house.  I had cable briefly after several years of not having it.  I hated it; the kids would flip it on and watch stupid stuff just because it was there.  Just internet now and sometimes I think I would like to get rid of that too.  Life is short and I end up spending too much of on the computer just because it is there...

Catholic Mama likes this.
#12 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 AM

EmsMom, if it weren't for my husband I would drop internet at home, too. I hate how the computer is such a time sink.
mamapigeon likes this.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#13 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If any of you decide you want to stop cable or other services and have more time for other activities in your lives, your'e welcome to join us in the TV Free and Loving It group:

http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/44/tv-free-and-loving-it

pumabearclan likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#14 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

If any of you decide you want to stop cable or other services and have more time for other activities in your lives, your'e welcome to join us in the TV Free and Loving It group:
http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/44/tv-free-and-loving-it

Thanks for the invitation - you do realize though that just because one watches television in one format or another doesn't mean that their life isn't already full of other family activities?
#15 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmattsmom88 View Post

So, I am trying to decide what to do about dropping cable altogether. I am wondering if streaming TV through Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu is something to look into. It would be mainly for the kids. My husband only watches hockey, and our team just was bounced out of the playoffs last night, so he has no interest in watching until the next season starts (October). My kids are fans of Scooby Doo, My little pony, PBS kids/sprout. They don't watch THAT much, but that's what they like. I don't really watch tv at all. So, I would love BTDT experience with Hulu, Amazon etc. Right now we are paying $90/month just for cable (Dish network). We get a lot of channels, but its mostly crap and like I said above, hockey is over for us until October. I got a quote from Comcast. We already use them for internet and land line. To add cable, comparable to the amount of channels we have now, it would be around $120/month total for all three services. Currently, adding all that together we are paying $160/month... $70/month Comcast, $90/month Dish. Any advice?

Many channels offer their shows on the internet a day or so after they air on television. In our house it's sports that would be greatly missed so our satellite remains connected.
#16 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

TCMoulton, yes I realize that - that's why I qualified time with "more" :)  

swede likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#17 of 26 Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I haven't had cable in years, but we do have Netflix (just streaming, so 7.99 a month) and a Roku box (I just have the cheapest one which was ~$60.00). The roku box just plugs into the tv like a dvd player and streams movies through your wifi connection to the TV.  You can also rent or purchase movies that way (through Amazon, etc.), which we occasionally do as a treat. 

I have to keep internet because I use it for work, so this is by far the cheapest option for us and we don't miss cable at all. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#18 of 26 Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Make sure you are out of contract before you do anything.  I am VERY happy with Dish welcome pack for $19.99 a month and I have Heartland added for $6. you can not go to welcome pack on line on own you have to call or chat.  I get both baby channels too!  We did the streaming but to me there is something nice of turning on a tv and flipping channels.  We almost always find a decent show on and with all the free previews they offer every month we have new things to watch.

#19 of 26 Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM

I have Roku. I bough for something like $55.

I use Hulu Plus on it $8 per month.

I also ahve Amazon Prime already and it streams tons of free content on Roku.

There is PBS.

Roku has movie service and you can rent many movies for $1.99

I am much happier with this than I was with cable or dish.

#20 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM

We canceled our cable several year ago because we could watch everything we wanted to on the computer anyway.  We love it! We have a digital antenna and still get several channels anyway. And we discovered a real gem for kids shows - qubo - which shows pbs style kids shows 24 hours a day. I wouldn't cable again even if I had unlimited money.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#21 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We use Hulu and Netflix. For $15 a month we have access to all the TV shows and movies we want, whenever we want. I wouldn't pay for cable!

Mother to one dd .
#22 of 26 Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Red

Your public library! Not only can you borrow for free, you can order anything you can think of and they'll get it from another library for you.

I can borrow video games, DUPLO blocks, big totes of toys, Kindles, laptops,  And in Massachusetts we have the Library of the Commonwealth, located at the BPL. (http://www.bpl.org ) where residents of Massachusetts can stream movies and old TV shoes for free. Or learn a foreign language with Mango Language software. Your state probably has a state library too. Your taxes have already paid for it.

Enjoy!

pumabearclan likes this.
#23 of 26 Old 06-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Netflix here. The Roku box is about $50 one time fee, and we got two so the kids don't have to fight over it. It's great. DS watches Pokemon (his current fad), and DD watches Daniel Tiger, Lunar Jim, and Angelina Ballerina.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#24 of 26 Old 06-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can watch netflix through a wii too. $8.99 a month Netflix has My Little Pony, Scooby Doo (a newer version though that I deemed to scary for my five year old) and lots of PBS shows. Do borrow from your library !

@Red How do you borrow a kindle from a Mass. Library? I've borrowed books, toys, puzzles, wii games, dvds, pc games, museum passes, and I know you can even borrow paintings, but I have not heard of kindles/laptops. Thanks for that BPL website, I'm totally checking it out!
#25 of 26 Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
How about reading, playing games, playing outdoors, puzzle books? We are media-free and LOVE it. We dropped cable & used Netflix for awhile, but we dropped that too after watching the classic movies we wanted to see... Now we are avid readers and contemplatives. My daughter, an engineer, is much better read than most of her peers. This has put her to a great advantage in interpersonal skills (literature), international relations (history and political science), business acumen (economics), etc. Reading has enabled us to to make connections with thoughtful intelligent people when traveling; it has enabled our daughter to make friendships and contacts with other readers - people who want more from life than "plug in and tune out."

I don't think that being entertained is good for people of any age.

There are also programs on youtube and public domain websites, especially documentaries.

And the library, as a prior poster mentioned.

Last edited by pumabearclan; 06-11-2014 at 12:26 PM.
#26 of 26 Old 06-16-2014, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
We haven't had cable for years here either. I pay for internet but just can't see doing it for cable. Just an idea that no one mentioned .... a digital antenna! They sell decent ones at Walmart for about $40-50 and then you have free tv. This is mostly the local channels and a few PBS types but we have gotten up to 30 channels depending on location and how well it was set up. It was mostly locals plus PBS type stuff although we did get a couple of channels that offered some of the sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory and House. Since we only really used the tv for checking weather, news and the kids a couple of programs on occasion this worked great for us. Unfortunately we gave ours to the in-laws at one point and haven't bought a new one yet. I need to do that. We have just been tv free either watching dvds or renting dvds from Redbox and have been doing this for over a year now.
pumabearclan likes this.

Tags
Frugality , Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page