Birthday parties.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! My son is turning 6 and we are having a birthday party for him at a local State Park. I'm trying to keep it simple and not spend too much but it is challenging. The site is free, we are going to BBQ veggie burgers & veg hot dogs with the fixings and some basic snacks (fruit, chips, etc). Kids are bringing there bikes and ride on toys. So I really don't have any activities planned and I have not gotten anything for party favors. I really like throwing parties so it's hard to not go over board, but honestly we usually end up spending a ton on food. So, do you do party favors for the guest to take home? What about activities/games? I would love to do both but if I do I need some low cost ideas! Thanks!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We just had my daughter's fourth birthday but I think this would work for 6yos as well. I went to Office Works (big chain office supplies wharehouse) and bought a pack of post-it notes, a pack of miniature lead pencils, erasers and these little clip thingies. At the supermarket I bought individual boxes of sultanas (they come as a 6 pack). I packed them in paper bags from a craft shop. I spent less than $3/bag and they were very popular.

In the past I have done a bag with sultanas, small bottle of bubble mix (but the bulk boxes meant for weddings, think there are 12 bottles/box), a balloon and a party blower.

We don't organise activities but it's usually just the kids from our mother's group plus one or two others so they're used to playing together. At a park with bikes I don't think you need to organise anything if you don't want to.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would squirtguns do the trick? They could be the favor, but would also provide something for the kids to do. I've seen inexpensive ones in a multipack before, maybe $5 for 3 or 4.

Hmm, for other activities maybe a water balloon fight or a nature scavenger hunt?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 11 Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been to some fun birthday parties at parks.  Is there a playground there?  One party I'm thinking of had time as guests were arriving to play on the playground (which could be when you do the biking/ride on toys) and then some organized games.  The child was a little younger, but they did simple games that everyone could play together- maybe ask your son what games are hits during outdoor recess?  I think we played mother may I, mr. fox mr. fox what time is it, red light/green light, and stuff like that.  Then there was eating, cake, and the party was over.  

As for favors, I like things that are simple but fun.  One of my favorites was a pinwheel that I gave out for a summer birthday ($1 at target).  I've also lucked out and found great books at the dollar store (once kids' craft books that were originally 7.99) and bought one for each kid.  For an outdoor sort of themed party, you could do a frisbee and an activity could be decorating it with permenant markers/stickes... and/or bubbles?

#5 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Frisbees would have been a great party gift!

Thanks for the ideas. I am realizing now that the main problem is I invite WAY too many people!! We homeschool, so birthdays end up being an excuse to see both or homeschool friends and public school friends all at once!

We have a few games planned, mostly they will be led by my 8yo, otherwise the kids I'm sure will keep themselves busy playing!

For party favors the kids will get a skateboard eraser, a small pad of post-it paper, a pencil, and a lollypop.

For the toddlers they will get bubbles and a bath toy.

Trying to keep the food simple but it all adds up! The party is tomorrow, I told my son I was making him cupcakes with blue frosting....but he said he really, really wants a 'fancy' cake. So I am making a cake that looks like a pile of dirt with (gummy) worms coming out of it hehe

For the next birthday I need to slim the guest list way down....

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#6 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My little girls birthday is coming up soon..I Have no budget so what I am going to do is we are Having it at the riverpark...Kids can Bring their scooters and there is a fun play area...We are going to grill hotdogs, chips, beans and drinks...I will make a couple cakes...It will be pretty much all family but there will be a couple friends from school along with cousins...lots of Good fun with little money...there will be goody bags but all I am putting in them is a bottle of bubbles, a party horn and Hat and a thing of Fruit snacks
#7 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Simple is so much fun!
#8 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Great ideas above. The favor doesn't have to be the gift bag that you see at so many parties either even just a simple item alone can work. If you want to do activities and favors then I like the suggestions above for combining the two. The frisbees, bubbles, water balloons, etc could be a favor and activity. Another idea if you do the nature trail/scavenger hunt would be getting each kid a microscope or some other item like that to use on the hunt and keep. These items can be bought at a Dollar Tree, Dollar General or other "dollar" store for just $1-2 each. Cheap and easy favor and activity!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#9 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Oh I've seen these painted rocks also that are super cute. Maybe you could have the kids do painted rocks - they could find and pick out their own rocks on the hunt, then paint them for an activity and it's still something that they keep as a reminder of the party. That would be a super cheap activity and favor since you'd only need the paint and paint brushes.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#10 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM

If you want to spend less in party favors you can buy some candies in bulk. I threw a party for my DD before and I used to buy stuff for girls like candies, headbands, crowns, coloring pens and papers. I put it in a cute paper bag; they also have their own cupcake.
#11 of 11 Old Today, 04:09 PM

party favors

I have had to throw parties for a lot of children and price is always something I have to be conservative on. There are many great favors you can browse through on this site. There are a lot of items that come in packages of 10-12 under $5 so it makes everything very affordable.

http://stores.ebay.com/salesguru888-...or-destination

Tags
Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page