• 1 Post By frugalmama

#1 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Six Month til xmas 2014

New thread... forgot about this....
ideas, plans, thoughts?? panic yet??

I have a list of things to crochet and craft.

Between now and the end of the year I have several birthdays, a new baby(not mine), and of course 12/25. Yarn and me are best friends.....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm planning to make a hat and scarf for everyone. Already started on some.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#3 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
This year we've decided to take a vacation for Christmas! Part of my simplify our holiday scheme. I'm still checking prices to work out our itinerary but I've got a lot of good ideas so far. Hoping to make it memorable without breaking the bank.

The kids will only get their stocking and one gift each since we'll put most of our Christmas towards the vacation for spending time together. I want to make them each a new stocking this year since they've never had special ones. I'll crochet a hat & scarf for each of them to go in there and maybe socks. Not sure what else yet. I'm ordering a wool felt starter kit to try making some things out of my "Toymaking with Children" book. I think I may make/buy each child a new doll or lovie like a waldorf doll finally.

For family gifts I'm making each one a felt stocking like my grandmother made us ages ago that got lost in the army moves. Everyone still talks about them so I know they'll love it. I may put something small in each one's stocking as well but we'll see - if I do it'll be something like felted soap, homemade candies or cookies, or something else cheap and consumable. I ordered the first stocking kit so I can get started soon!

I'm also considering making an elf doll for the kids to have something like the elf on the shelf (just not as creepy - that elf on the shelf doll reminds me of Chucky *shudder*). They asked about it last year after seeing it at school I think it'd be a nice tradition and fun thing for them so I'm wanting to make a doll I can live with.
#4 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM

P.S. Are we going to use this thread to track our gift lists or do that in the arts & crafts forum?
#5 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
P.S. Are we going to use this thread to track our gift lists or do that in the arts & crafts forum?

We can use this thread however we want to. If tracking works for you then super great. if tracking makes you panic then nope, you dont have to.

My count is :
Bdays
DS
Sis
'him'

new baby- sister's sister in law (clear as mud right??)

Xmas
ds
approx 6 other gifts to make.

and one jan anniversay.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
We can use this thread however we want to. If tracking works for you then super great. if tracking makes you panic then nope, you dont have to.

My count is :
Bdays
DS
Sis
'him'

new baby- sister's sister in law (clear as mud right??)

Xmas
ds
approx 6 other gifts to make.

and one jan anniversay.
LOL panic yep. That's gonna happen as we get closer! So you need ideas for a new baby gift? Don't you crochet as well? How about a cocoon and hat set? They have some patterns on ravelry for it and they're precious! Work up really fast too and are so adorable. My go to baby shower/new baby gift is usually a laundry kit - cute wicker (or wood or something cute) laundry basket with a small tote box of homemade laundry detergent, downy ball and squeeze bottle of vinegar (or small bottle of it), homemade oxiclean, and a set of baby hangers or clothespins. I include printed sheets with recipes & instructions on the homemade items too so the new mom can see how to use it and make her own to save money too. It's been a big hit with everyone I've given it to and everyone at the showers that's seen it too. Cheap to put together too since I use all these homemade for my own laundry so for gift time I just buy a downy ball, small totes for the oxiclean and laundry detergent, the laundry basket and hangers and a new small bottle of vinegar or squeeze bottle to put some in. I think it usually runs me about $10.

Do you know if mom will breastfeed, cloth diaper or anything else? It helps to find gifts more in line with her needs. When is the baby due?
#7 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 AM

Okay well I'll start tracking here for now then. So my list is:

Mom - stocking
Sis - stocking
Sis's bf - stocking
Brother - stocking
Sis in law - stocking
Nephew - stocking
* Have to decide on stocking stuffers if I do them but not sure about that yet.

Great grandmother - ??? (She's in a nursing home now so can't really have stuff and of course family gets anything she *needs* right away so idk. I thought about small gift cards to her fav food places but I'd have to see if my great-aunt could use them to pick stuff up for her since she obviously can't use them herself)

DD - stocking, waldorf doll
DS - stocking, lovie? (gotta see what he wants for a new lovie since he doesn't want a doll)
Lil DD - stocking, waldorf doll
* Also need to decide on stocking stuffers for the kids and may need to change their one gift each after discussing their wants this year.
* Make elf doll for holiday tradition

Dh - stocking
Me - stocking
* We won't have gifts just a stocking each that I need to make and then I'll have to come up with stocking stuffers also.

Pre-Christmas I have:
Mom's Bday - Gift card (gotta decide on the place debating a few of the things she would enjoy like tanning sessions, spa, yoga classes, etc)
DD's Bday - Little girl spa day with her bff; gift ???
Dh's Bday -
Sis's Bday -
Sis in law's Bday -

Yikes! I didn't realize I had so many birthdays before Christmas until I wrote it all out!!!
#8 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
When my grandmother was in a retirement hostel she kept a supply of her own favourite biscuits, tea, sherry etc. Maybe something like that for your grandmother?

Or a picture or picture collage of your family.
#9 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 AM

I have to find out from my mom or great-aunt what she's allowed to have and all. I just want her gift to be something consumable so there's no concern over storage space or duplicate items. I could make her some homemade treats though. Thanks!

I did find some events not too far from here that might be nice to go to for dh's bday and not be too expensive. Hmm...

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#10 of 14 Old 07-09-2014, 04:38 PM

My order came in so I have my first stocking kit here to officially start on Christmas. Yay! I'll order more stocking kits soon so I can be ready to go. I want to get all the stockings done first then I'll decide for sure as we get closer if I'll be putting anything in them. I'm working on a shopping list for items I need to make things at home and for Christmas for the kids as well like a wool felt starter kit. Hopefully I can get my list together and order soon.

I'm waiting on word back from my sister so we can decide on my mom's birthday gift. We had discussed all three of us (me, her and brother) maybe going in together and getting her something bigger but I need to see how they want to do it now that we're two weeks out. Need to get that gift off my list. Then to decide what to do for DD and DH.

#11 of 14 Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ARGHHHH!!!

Christmas again??
#12 of 14 Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Joining in on the freakout

Not only is it 6 months till x-mas, but for us it's about 2 weeks until EID {Islamic holiday celebrated a lot like x-mas with gifts, etc}. I am super freaking out about an Eid gift for dd.

Eid for dd: I have 2 child size hijabs put back for her that I picked up a while back using ebay bucks. Going to try to fix my sewing machine & follow a pin from Pintrest to turn a button down western style shirt into an abaya for her, since one of the traditions of Eid is to wear new clothing. Picked up a couple of the shirts at a blessing event last week thankfully! I want to give her something fun too - not sure what yet. Might try to make some American Girl size clothing, or maybe get her a book off Amazon since I have a GC coming.

Birthday for dd {September}: No clue yet.

X-mas: Not sure yet. Might try to knit a hat & matching scarf for dd - I picked up a set of circular knitting needles last week at the thrift, but have no clue how to use them - I am a very very beginner knitter.
crazyms likes this.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#13 of 14 Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Yikes! Two major holidays! We will do Yule and Christmas but they will kind of intermingle and it won't be a huge gift blowout thank goodness! I'm also a very very beginner knitter. I've been crocheting since I was a kid but knitting... no! I want to learn before Christmas though because the stockings I've found to make for the kids so far are all knitted for the beautiful ones. Maybe I can talk my knitting aunt into some lessons.

I got started on my first stocking kit last night. Boy I forgot how tedious beadwork and embroidery is!!!

#14 of 14 Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I plan for birthdays and Christmas all year. I buy things on clearance, especially when I get those 10 dollars off 10 or more coupons. I yardsale for nip and practically nip gifts for people. I like to do family gifts for people-this year I think Im doing popcorn ball kits. My sister and I do freezer cooking for my parents.

I already have a handful of items for my children. I will probably go to a jbf sale in Oct or finish with black friday (hubby gets an extra check in Oct and Dec). They also arent getting as many gifts this year bc their big joint gift is a family membership to a childrens museum. That will be bought in Dec.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page