Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By veghappy

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Addiction: Eating Out

I thought I'd start a post to help with my spending addiction after seeing another one here about the Starbucks addiction, which I could also completely relate to!!

Here's my situation. My husband is currently unemployed. We're making it, o.k., but only because I've added some extra contracts to my work load for extra money. That means I'm often working 50 - 60 hours part of the year and it's really not how I want to live or how I want my family life to be. We've shaved off some of our expenses and lowered others. But, the one thing that I'm having the most trouble cutting is eating out. I love going out to dinner. My favorite is going out for an expensive meal with wine. I love getting dressed up an luxuriating over a fine meal. If I can't have that, then I just love trying new foods out and not having to cook. It's very pampering for me. Given that money is tight, it's been a way for me to splurge on myself. But, I know I have to cut back. It's not sustainable, especially when I want to save money and eliminate our debt. So, I would LOVE your suggestions on how to curb costs on this much loved addition.

Thank you so much!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I replied to this in the other thread but since you elaborated on the issue more here I'll comment again. Like I said in the other thread I cut back on my eating out so much by making dine in meals at home of the foods that I would have bought to save us money.

If you like the atmosphere part of it then I'd consider making the dine in meals and take them somewhere like the park or something to eat them. How is your house set up? Do you have a separate dining room or something? Could you make your dining/eating area a little "fancier" to give you more of the atmosphere you would like? I'm thinking something like scarves and drapes hanging from the ceiling and a chandelier or candles around. Lots of color and maybe even some throw pillows or cushions. Nice table linens. Whatever it is that would make a calming atmosphere for you. Wine can be bought and drank at home. Even get nice wine glasses if you don't already have them. (On a real budget they can be found for $1 at a dollar store or Walmart sells the Anchor Hocking or Liberty glass made in usa ones for $5-10 a set) If you don't want to cook could dh cook one night a week or something for you to come home to your "restaurant?" There are lots of options for quick make meals like the frozen Bertolli pasta dishes and such. Some restaurant chains have foods in the freezer section of grocery stores also like the TGI Friday's potato skins.

Even if it meant spending a little money now to buy yourself some new wine glasses or table linens or something it'd save you in the long run. If I had a restaurant atmosphere addiction that would be my solution. Hope this helps! I'll come back if I think of any more ideas.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Oh and there is NOTHING saying you can't dress up at home!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
If you like the atmosphere part of it then I'd consider making the dine in meals and take them somewhere like the park or something to eat them. How is your house set up? Do you have a separate dining room or something? Could you make your dining/eating area a little "fancier" to give you more of the atmosphere you would like? I'm thinking something like scarves and drapes hanging from the ceiling and a chandelier or candles around. Lots of color and maybe even some throw pillows or cushions. Nice table linens. Whatever it is that would make a calming atmosphere for you. Wine can be bought and drank at home. Even get nice wine glasses if you don't already have them. (On a real budget they can be found for $1 at a dollar store or Walmart sells the Anchor Hocking or Liberty glass made in usa ones for $5-10 a set) If you don't want to cook could dh cook one night a week or something for you to come home to your "restaurant?" There are lots of options for quick make meals like the frozen Bertolli pasta dishes and such. Some restaurant chains have foods in the freezer section of grocery stores also like the TGI Friday's potato skins.
Awesome suggestions crazyms!

Would your husband be willing to spend a day or two a week in the kitchen preparing a romantic dinner for you when you get home from work? It always makes me feel so special and loved when my husband does that for me, and has really helped us with kicking our eating out habit.
A&A likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, if you are working a lot of hours and your dh is unemployed, it makes the most sense to have him do most of the cooking, I would think (or at least more if it.)
Also, once I was able to replicate one of my favorite restaurant meals, I didn't "need" to go there as often.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I like how you ladies are thinking! My DH used to cook Indian food for me and fancy pasta. Maybe I could convince him to take that up again. Or at least maybe we could pick something we both really like and cook it together. That would be really nice. We could still dress up at home too. I think if I can cut back on a few of the times we go out, that would help even.

All ideas welcome here. Anyone have other suggestions that work for them?

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#7 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looks like you have a 10-year-old. Can he cook or help cook? Does he like to play waiter? My son loves both! Here's an article I wrote about his "restaurant" at home:
http://articles.earthlingshandbook.o...-purple-tulip/

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page