Frugal moms... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2004, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told my husband about the PRADA skirt for $4. He was like He said that's the brand Katie Curick wears (leave it to my husband to know these things, and not me :LOL)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 01:27 PM

lol uve got an up to date fashion husband!lol.i didnt know that!i would NEVER EVER buy a skirt like that for so much.i dont c why rich people do?i mean 4 bucks ok,maybe even 10 lol but 600 or more!thats just too much!but hey they have the cash to throw around.personally i dont,so im gonna try n find someone who does lol
Old 05-23-2004, 03:41 PM

today, i found a picnic basket with plates, silverware, napkins and goblets for $5, and a sewing machine for $15
Old 05-23-2004, 09:51 PM

Last week at thrift store :

Brand new Gymboree baby outfit (all tags still attached at the baby panties are still attached to the dress!). It is sooo cute - dark lavender dress with a few white flowers - $2.

In addition a dozen books (Richard Scarry, kiddie atlas, an old Frances book, a Matchbox book dd loves) - .50 each.

I shopped 'till I dropped.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 PM

Hey mama's!

I've been lurking. Luckily, I'm not a creepy lurker. Just wanted to drop in to congratulate you all on such good finds!

Did one of you post about Freecycle? Seems to me I found the link here. I found a local group and am having fun finding homes for things I don't need and vice versa. I did score a computer thru Freecycle for a friend, so that was cool. I just had to come tell someone who would think the same!

banana.gif

Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 PM

thanks, sounds like a good idea but only if you have the ability of choosing b/w several different stores, right? if you only have 2 grocery stores w/in walking distance as i did in my last apt (not sure yet where i'll be living when i get back to nyc in the fall) then there wouldn't be much point. unless someone can think of a way that it would work?.

(no, i don't have any good friends w/ cars )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
okay, that one didn't get erased, so now I'll do price books

I have a small 3-ring binder from the thrift. I bought a calculator that clicks into the rings for the front. Every food I buy has it's own page that are alphabetized. Under each food name, there are columns for: store name, brand, quantity per price, and price per each (lb, oz, etc.). I jot down the info as I go to different stores, also from the mail co-op. Even though Walmart is usually the lowest price, this allows me to search for sales that are cheaper than the Walmart price and then buy in bulk. I record even the stores that aren't the cheapest like Albertsons b/c their sales fliers usually don'tive exact prices, like, "30% off all frozen foods" or "Buy1/get1free butter". Then I can check my PB to find out what the original price is to know if the sale is a good deal or not. I take my PB to Sam's Club and BL b/c their products can vary often. Here is a page from my book:
(WM=Walmart, SB=store brand, DNF=local health food store, TCW=mail order co-op)

Raisins
WM SB 24 oz/$1.96 $1.31/lb
DNF bulk --------- $2.00/lb
TCW bulk 10 lb/$12.33 $1.23/lb
Sam's Sunmaid 72 oz/$5.26 $1.17/lb

Since I've yet to see raisins go on sale we buy them only at Sam's. As with all of our shopping, we buy enough to last until the next sale, or in this case, until our next pilgrimage to Sam's Club.
Hope that helps! If I didn't explain something well enough, please ask!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:44 PM

Well, you can keep track of which of those 2 stores has a better price. Not to mention, if you happen to find a health food store/farmer's market, CSA that delivers you can figure out if they have better prices as well.
Also, I have figured out that it is cheaper to take a cab home from a gigantic grocery shop at a store across town than buying stuff in small batches from the nearby, expensive store.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton
Also, I have figured out that it is cheaper to take a cab home from a gigantic grocery shop at a store across town than buying stuff in small batches from the nearby, expensive store.
this is a very good point. :
Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenluv
Did one of you post about Freecycle? Seems to me I found the link here. I found a local group and am having fun finding homes for things I don't need and vice versa. I did score a computer thru Freecycle for a friend, so that was cool. I just had to come tell someone who would think the same!
I LOVE freecycling! A computer! Wow! I've gotten tons of clothes, a blender, and a cedar chest so far. I've given away maternity clothes and bras, educational materials and tons of infant/toddler/children's clothes.

ARGH! I have a recording session to go to with my kids tomorrow morning...I want to go to YARD SALES!!! Maybe we'll leave early and stop at a few on the way!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 05-28-2004, 07:21 PM

i had such good luck when i bought the prada skirt for 4 bucks i didnt i could find another good skirt like that!but,i did!today at the goodwill in hollister.I found a made in italy Byblos skirt.2 different stores and 2 differnt skirts i lvoe shopping goodwill!only 4 bucks each.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked those up on ebay.. someone actually has a $1275 bid on a prada coat!! Who in tthe worldd would actually pay that much for clothes? And if they do pay that much, why in the heck are they shopping on ebay?? I really just can't believe that they are actual bargain-hunters! :LOL
priorities, priorities...

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 05-28-2004, 07:54 PM

Ok, kids. I have been ordered to bed for the weekend due to some early-preg nasties, so best of luck garage saling, and my spirit of bargains will be there for you!
Get good stuff! Back to bed for me...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
I just looked those up on ebay.. someone actually has a $1275 bid on a prada coat!! Who in tthe worldd would actually pay that much for clothes? And if they do pay that much, why in the heck are they shopping on ebay?? I really just can't believe that they are actual bargain-hunters! :LOL
priorities, priorities...
lol i know!but they have the cash to blow so they dont really care.i personally LOVE shppping goodwill.i just recently started learning how to buy *SMART* from my mom who always gets the best deals.wuts the difference between getting a 600 dollar skirt at good will for 4 bucks and getting one at the store for the ACTUAL price?so wut if someone else wore it lol thats why theres a washer and a dryer!never in my life would i spend that much money on clothes!!!!!!!i think theyre psychos
Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton
Ok, kids. I have been ordered to bed for the weekend due to some early-preg nasties, so best of luck garage saling, and my spirit of bargains will be there for you!
Get good stuff! Back to bed for me...
i hope u get good rest~take care and get better
Old 05-28-2004, 07:58 PM

oh yeah i also found a brand new old navy career shirt for school and some jordache jeans for 3 bucks and 4 bucks.i have to try yard sales though.im barely learning to drive so when i can im gonna go!i also want to try the santa cruz flea marketwhere do i look for ads for yard sales?
Old 05-29-2004, 03:36 PM

I know that I wasn't going to go saleing today, but there was an estate garage sale a block away. It was callng to me...
So I got a futon with pine frame, and a set of melamine shelves for $12. Delivered, naturally. Well, the guy helped Chris carry it across the alley. yay!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

good scores throkmorton!!
I promised myself I wouldn't go yardsaling today for lack of funds... but ... well you know those neon cardboard signs were calling me I actually only went to one, I suppose cause it's the holiday weekend there just aren't as many. There wasn't anything good for sale, but a huge box of free stuff. So DS chose a Lion King toy and I got a winter coat for DS#2. Total cost = free.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:14 AM

I've been reading on this thread and reliving my last couple of frugal years =) Lately I havent been nearly so frugal... but in the interest of finding a bargain (and a half dozen receiving blankets for our upcoming homebirth), I stopped at a toy filled yard sale the other day.
I found two brand new proraps, four babies under wraps and a receiving blanket for a quarter a piece. not too shabby...

and we stopped last week at goodwill and picked up a wool sweater for $2 to turn into diaper covers. I think all the CDing mommas here have been regularly searching goodwill though, cause there was only ONE wool sweater in the house!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:10 AM

i had a good day.
2.50 pants for school dressy
2.50 petite sophisticate blk coat
BEBE blazer/jacket 6.99 brand new practically.
gap skirt 2 bucks
gap sweater 5
and some other stuff...

not that cheap but okthe bebe suit jacket is a little small on me but a few more work outs and itll fit just the way i want it to
Old 06-03-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Have any of you got a good source for Amish goods? A catalogue maybe? I'm interested in things like a blender & such that don't use electricity.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:35 PM

Dready- NO. but if you find something, Please, let me know!

I went to the thrift store yesterday -Twas 50% off clothing day

I bought a COOL pair of black linen capris with embroidery at the hem line. Very 'India' looking. (I think they do say from india) Only $1.50!

a pair of COMFY cute blue shorts. .75!

a pretty White eyelit nursing dress $2.00!

2 other mamma dresses (just casual, nothin fancy, but CUTE! for $1.75 each!

A HUGE childrens' ask questions dictionary .50

Acouple hardback Dean Koontz Novels (LOVE HIM!!) 3 for $1.00!

and a maternity dress (hopefully I'll be PG soon! & can wear it! :LOL) $1.75!

CAN YA TELL I WAS HUNTING FOR SOME MAMMA CLOTHES!!?? :
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

My MIL is *trying* to be frugal. I say that, b/c she considers frugal to be ANYTHING below the tag price. She tried bragging to me that she just went to a thrift store and bought 5 things and "only" paid $26. I was like "WHAT??" I didn't think that was a deal at all! I think I've only spent more than 20 bucks at a thrift probably 2 times! :LOL She refuses to go to the (what I consider) good thrifts in Memphis b/c they're in a sketchy part of town silly.

edited to say Good scores on the mama clothes!!

Old 06-06-2004, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I didn'to any yard sales yesterday b/c we did DS's birthday party. In extremely frugal fashion we had it at a playground in town. Served fruit & veggies with peanut dip and hummus. Also had chips & salsa, goldfish crackers (from Sam's Club), scratch white cake with homemade choc. frosting, cut into a sword shape. Served with thrift store napkins and yardsaled candles.

Did anyone else get to go yardsaling???

Old 06-06-2004, 01:25 PM

I havent done any yardsales but as soon as i finish learning to drive im going to go out and look for some! it sounds like so much fun. What i did do yesterday was go to santa cruz to the goodwill bargain barn(which i would recommend to anyone in whichever area ur at to look up...)i found:
a basketball hoop(playskool for da little kiddo)and a basketball
lol my kid likes to try n play basketball with the big hoop we have outside so ofcourse she cant reach it!so this was puuurfect
a fisher price bouncer infant to toddler rocker(the box was all messed up but inside everything had the tags still and was still wrapped in the plastic with the tag still attached!)
my youngest is already on her 2nd bouncer.she wore out the first one and well when we got this one yesterday,we just put the other bouncer in storage.so this will be her third!lol.she loves to sit with us like a big person
tons and tons of clothes...banana republic,gap,and some other brands
i found a few jackets for my mom and some school clothes for me yipeee!
and my dad gor a huge samsonite suitcase with keys and a wall clock
a barney a barney book,some crafts tuff etc

all in all it was a good daytotal 20.00
they open again today at 11am so were going again!alot of sellers go there that sell at the flea market,so they grab all the real good stuff but im sure ill find some more things!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:19 PM

Good scores ant Goodwill!
i hardly got a thing. Some clothes, and a muffin tin for giant muffins. I spent $5.
Dreay*mama, I am still looking for amish goods, now, if it was just as simple you wanting a quilt that would be different
Old 06-06-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

aahh... I want a muffin tin for the giant ones! I want the amish-type electric-free appliances, kwim? anyone?... anyone?...
must go now and post some stuff on ebay so I can make some $$!

poor little hummingbirds, I keep hearing..."thunk .... thunk" on our window and see the little buggers bouncing off!

Old 06-07-2004, 12:21 AM

Dreadymama,

Do you mean a catalog like Lehmans http://www.lehmans.com?

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 06-07-2004, 12:34 AM

Nifty! I had never seen Lehman's before!
The Amish facinate me, mostly because we don't have any around here. Mennonites and Hutterites, yes, but no Amish.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

oh yes! Lehmans! I've heard of that a long time ago and had forgotten about it. I'm gonna get their catalogue... thanks indigo

Old 06-08-2004, 01:39 AM

the bargain barn isnt a goodwill retail store.they sell the clothes there by the poundand everything is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheap.its a part of goodwill,but its not a store where everything has price tags and is hanged up.no its a warehouse that looks like a dump,but when u look through the stuff u find a bunch of great thingsi was a little scared at first,people running everywhere-the real bargain hunters lol

User Tag List