Frugal moms... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 222 Old 06-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a frequent lurker to this thread and love to see what other frugal moms do. I thought I'd chime in (finally) to tell you of my garage sale bargains yesterday. I got 2 nice potty seats (for the grandparents' places) for DD for $1 each, a little tykes cassette deck player for $1, some books (novels and even a knitting pattern book!) for a quarter each, and some puzzles for DD for a quarter each. I didn't even spend that much time out, maybe 2 hours, d/t my bad back (I'm 7mos pregnant right now) and was happy that I got what I did. On the grocery side of things, I'm usually shopping at the "day-old" section of the grocery store--and the one that I go to is quite good because some of the things I get there are better than what some other stores sell as 1st quality. Other things I do to save money is hang-dry my laundry (I love it esp when the weather is nice enough for me to do this outside) and we eat-in almost always, but I do splurge on groceries and get steak and seafood and the like, but even then, it's still quite a bit cheaper than to get that type of food in a restaurant! DH thinks it's the thrill of the bargain that makes me frugal (we don't absolutely need to do this, I can go to the library and read books for free)--he's probably right!
#122 of 222 Old 06-27-2004, 06:26 PM

Welcome!!! Nice finds!! And congrats on the

OK heres my Next problem........................

Tomatoes

We have BIG beefsteak Tomatoes comin out our EARS!!! We are givin em away... eating lotts, ect. But I wanna 'save' some for later, or make some sauces, ect. Other than making & freezing spagetti sauce, (cant can) any other ideas???
#123 of 222 Old 06-27-2004, 08:38 PM

Why can't you can your tomatoes? It is really easy, they can be done in a boiling water bath.
Now, that said, I hate the stupid things. They give me a rash unless they have been boiling forever and taste I would put an ad in the paper, and seel them for 50c/lb to anyone who will take them. or, you know, buddy up with someone who does enjoy canning, and offer to split them with her if she cans (and promise to give the jars back)

As for garage sales, I got a CD player that appeared to work, but when i got it home and plugged in, I discovered that it had no sound! Gaaaaaah! I felt like throwing it through the guy's window. Bastard. I was not hing any luck yesterday at the sales.
#124 of 222 Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM

My suggestion would be making your own salsa...

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#125 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
Other than making & freezing spagetti sauce, (cant can) any other ideas???
We always have tons of tomatoes. A few years ago my 83 year-old farming friend, next door told me to throw them all in freezer bags.....no peeling, no coring.....just wash, dry and toss them in the bags. I do this every year and have tomatoes all winter for soups and sauces. They're wonderful! I save some for canning salsa, some I share with neighbors and the rest are tossed in bags. Easy!

Enjoy!
#126 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacheePoo
:. PLEASE share how you can make a good meal for under $5!
When we were really, REALLY in the poorhouse we survived on soups and bread and life was good. Soups are filling and can include many bulk ingredients (rice, barley, pasta,etc) plus any vegies, meat, etc. (great way to disguise the leftovers). We purchased bulk powdered broth from the natural foods coop (msg free and yummy). Bread is cheap. If you have a Wal-mart near you they often have a day old rack for breads, cakes etc for up to 75% off. Buy a couple loaves, use what you can and make croutons with the rest for soups or snacks. No Wal-mart......make your own bread, use a breadmaker or whatever is easiest, cheapest. Bagel shops often have bags of day old bread for cheap. We also have a place near by that you can load up a truck load of bread (called hog feed...I'm not kidding) for about ten bucks. This might sound awful to some but some of the bread is good. We haven't loaded up a truck for quite sometime but when we did we would take out the good loaves and freeze them and most of the other bread went to the chickens. I think stores like Rainbow or Holsum do this. Maybe worth checking into.
#127 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

I've always heard that canning beefsteak tomatoes was not good. If I were you I'd put a big ole bushel basket at the end of your driveway and a coffee can with a slit cut in the lid. And a big sign on the basket that said, "TOMATOES - $1 A BAG". oh yeah, and put some paper lunch bags out too.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#128 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 05:37 PM

I'm jumping in on this thread! I love yardsales here in our neighborhood-- military community so we have moving sales around her a lot and people just want RID of their items... cheap! I went to one sale late in the afternoon (usually around here they go until 2 or 4 on a saturday) and a woman had a TON of clothes and little people toys and thigns like that-- all the perfect age for my daughter! I picked out tons and tons of clothes (brand names too...woo hoo) which all ended up half price plus scrapbooking stuff for $2.50 (a big bag of it), and the toys, and she ended up giving it all to me for $20-- I had to have my husband come and pick everything up because I couldn't carry it back w/ me to my house a few blocks away! I got a big duplo table and everything... was definately thrilled. :-D I very rarely buy my daughter any new clothes-- most things she gets new are presents. For her birthday I even shopped resale. She was perfectly happy w/ what she got, too!
#129 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Beefsteaks are fine to can, they are just more watery than Romas. Make sure to add a teaspoon of lemon juice to them just to make sure they are acidic enough.
I can a lot of tomatoes every year with mom. 300 or 400 jars.
I am contemplating getting this: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...urrency=1&SID= but has anyone found them anywhere else cheaper?
#130 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM

I don't know if beefsteak tomatoes are good for this or not, but a former colleague of mine has her Italian MIL make sun-dried tomatoes for her and they are the absolute best I've ever tasted. I don't work there anymore, but I always think of those sun-dried tomatoes whenever I eat other, not-so-mouthwatering-good, ones!
#131 of 222 Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

That's a pretty cool lil contraption, I looked on ebay under 'tomato press' and there were 4 matches. At least one is that exact same model, and is right now at $15.60, with 23 hrs. to go!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#132 of 222 Old 06-29-2004, 03:05 AM

I may be a bit behind the times but everytime my printer runs dry I dread spending 25-30 bucks on another cartridge. What's the new thing going ? Can I save money refilling my own? Where can I buy the ink?
Thanks!
#133 of 222 Old 06-29-2004, 09:47 AM

You can buy refill kits at most office supply stores - warning can get messy.

Another option is to buy recylced cartridges. I use this option more often than not.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#134 of 222 Old 07-03-2004, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

hey mamas! There were exactly 2 yardsales in our town today, so I went to them both I SO scored though!! At one I was checking out a bookshelf and the lady just told me to take it, and I had a pair of shorts in my hand and she said to just take em since they were only 50c. She must have thought they might as well be free since ALL the other clothes at the yard sale were $4.00 and up (still haven't figured out what's wrong w/ the shorts). Then I went to the other YS and bought a push-mower (pretty new) and some kids clothes for $10. DH is going to be so stoked to find out we have a lawnmower! Aack! though I tried to mow with it and our grass is ridiculously long that is doesn't cut it. Maybe I'll hire some 13yo to bring up a gas mower and get it short!

I have figured out one solution to my curtain dilema, but for only 1 window. I strung clothesline across the top (extra from our clothesline) and painted 14 clothespins (again extra). Then hung DS's artwork along it. More like a valance than a full-on curtain. It's so cute and a nice spot tot put it instead of all over the fridge where the toddler just rips it down! 1 window down... 7 to go...

BTW - I LOVE 4th of July, not that I'm super patriotic or anything, but FREE fireworks, parades, etc! WOO-HOO!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

#135 of 222 Old 07-03-2004, 09:49 PM

LOVING this thread

I have not gone yardsaling this year at all! I inventoried the kid's clothes and they have enough in the next 2 sizes to make it all seasons (save for underware and socks), and I hate buying too much too far in advance. I do need clothes fo myself though, and for DH.
I mentioned to a freind that while I was moving last year I broke every one of my pyrex baking dishes (dropped the whole box! D'oh!), and she brought me a huge stack from her mom's basement Another freind saw us exchanging "junk", and offered me a brand new roasting pan she won at her church raffle I put out the word to everyone I know that we needed a real table and chairs for the kitchen (we have a folding card table and mismatched folding chairs). What do you know, a freind got a new banquet table at an auction and gave us her old one! Now we just need the chairs
I Always ask around if there is anything I need. Last year I was given a whole bunch of perrenial flowers by a lady who heard I moved and had a flower garden bed 4 X the size of my old one that needed filling... how nice!
As for tomatoes, I can them as sauce (pizza and spag), and also make sure to can some just plain. it's really really easy, or I would never do it! All you need is a big kettle really
and speaking of canning....... I am making wild black raspberry jam this weekend!!!! I am so excited to have found a big patch of yummy, juicy, FREE berries, and they are right in our backyard!!!! :LOL The kids can't wait and have been sneaking into the woods to much the almost ripe ones
Have a wonderful tag sale season all! I am looking forward to reading the future posts!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#136 of 222 Old 07-04-2004, 10:35 AM

We overspent on our family trip/DH's conference so we are on the ULTRA tight budget until we get the savings back up to acceptable levels. That even means no yard sales or thrift stores for me unless I am looking for something specific!

Anyway, I made a 28 day rotating dinner menu plan, alternating 14 days veg, 14 days meat. It is all pretty budget, though I do buy a few niceties since there will be no eating out at all this month. I also planned a few nights that are breaks for me.

We also have the agreement that any night can become leftovers night if the fridge is getting too full.

Menu Rotation
Week 1

M Spaghetti, Salad, bread
T Tuna Sand, salad, chips
W Black Beans, Rice, Onion, Salad, banana
R Fishsticks, Cole slaw, fries
F Mujadara
S Steak, salad, potato, bread
Su Shephard Pie

Week 2

M BBQ Chick, Rice, Salad, Veg
T Grilled Cheese, Salad, Fries
W Chick Enchiladas, Salad
R Pasta Primavera, salad, bread
F Turkey Burger, Fries, Salad
S Pizza, Salad
Su Roasted Chicken, potatoes, salad, veg

Week 3

M - Taco Salad
T- Chicken Salad Sand, Chips, Salad
W- Veg Stew
R - Sausages, Saurkraut, Salad
F Red Bns N Rice, Salad
S- Chick Stir Fry
Su- Omlette/Migas, Salad, Potatos

Week 4

M- Turkey Meat Loaf, Potaoto , Veg, Salad
T- Veg Burger, Fries, Salad
W-Grill Fish, rice , veg, salad
R - Quiche, salad
F- BLT, Salad, chips/fries
S- Roasted Potatoes & veggies, Salad
Su - Hawaiian Chicken, rice, veg,
#137 of 222 Old 07-04-2004, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

yummy! I wish we had rasberries!!! We have chokecherries (only good for cooking, not snacking) and wild service berries (not nearly as sweet and juicy as raspberries, more like raisins ) oh well. We wen't too a B-day party last night were they served choc. cake with backyard raspberries on top!! SO GOOD!!

#138 of 222 Old 07-04-2004, 01:49 PM

I am going to have to go hardcore on the frugal recipes this month. DH has decided he needs to go on a low-carb diet which means that our budget will be impacted.
So, he naturally decides to go low-carb just as my potatoes are nearing harvest. Any suggestions for good new potato meals? Last year, I got 80 lbs of them out of one of those little 6lb bags of seed potatoes, and so far this year they are doing even better.
#139 of 222 Old 07-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Wow Thistle, that's a great list! What is Mujadara?

Throkmorton, I love new potatoes! Wish i lived close, i'd trade jam for 'taters :LOL I am so looking forward to having potatoes and onions next year!!!
We like all sorts of potatoes. New potatoes we usually have roasted or boiled (plain or in salads). One of my favorite comfort foods is potato au gratin or scalloped potatoes with sun dried tomatoes my:. Sometimes we put leftover ham in them. I love latkas (potato cakes) too. My grandmother freezes them like hashbrowns.

#140 of 222 Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Oooh, I hadn't thought about freezing them!
Hrm, think I can convince DH that i need a food processor for this? I really, really do need one, right?
#141 of 222 Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Heck ya! food processors ROCK!!! We shred out bulk ordered cheese for freezing, and chopped a zillion pecans our farm relatives sent from Mississippi to freeze. And, how the hell else can you make hummus??

Just have to take this chance to brag that I went to a yardsale yesterday on the 4th run by 8yo's in a parking lot. I bought a pair of Burton kid's snowboard boots for 50c (she only wanted 25c!), and two sets of Patagonia capilene kid's long underware for FREE with the purchase of a $1 video!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that just plain rocks.

#142 of 222 Old 07-05-2004, 05:16 PM

I limp along, making hummus in the blender. Poor me! I also hand knead pizza crusts, hand grate bulk cheese and thin-slice the carrots. See? I need a food processor! I swear! Now, the only question is, what do i "need" more, my 325 watt Kitchenaid stand mixer, or a food processor? I can get a Cuisinart 14 cup processor with my air miles, but I have been saving my miles for this mixer for 2 years now... Or, for the same number of miles, I could fly to Toronto...
I found absolutely nothing at the garage sales. Good scores!
Of course, I was so depressed I went to the yarn store and spent the $20 I earned by selling off some spare velvet to the guy upstairs.... The yarn was on sale, so I bought 3 pairs of socks worth.
#143 of 222 Old 07-05-2004, 06:11 PM

No yard sales for us, every penny goes to feeding the family at the moment.

Fingers crossed that dh hears about the job he wants soon.

But I scored a few rather nice things with freecycle and just poking around Livejournal. Over last 2 weeks - 2 aquariums (20 gallon w/ stand and 10 gallon - both with full fresh water setups), a huge well built toy box with safety hinges, a painted playboard, a tot sized wooden tool bench that grandpa is going to get a kick out of and a complete fisher price game table. The only thing dh thinks is missing from the game table is the extra hockey puck. All the mats, balls, nets etc. are all there.

All we spent was the gas to drive and pick it all up. I love free stuff.

#144 of 222 Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM

I went the cheap food processor way, I bought a blender with a mini food processor attachment for around $35-40 on sale. I needed a blender and a food processor and this was the cheapest way to get both. It's an oster and works ok .
#145 of 222 Old 07-07-2004, 09:11 PM

Tupperware also has a small handheld type of food processor called a quick chef. That is what I own and it works really well for things like making salsa. It is $45... though I earned mine as a consultant, though. (hence the reason I actually have one... otherwise I'd probably still be saving! : ) I'd love to get a real food processor eventually... and a good blender that mixes things evenly... and a good mixer *sigh*
#146 of 222 Old 07-08-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

I've burned out the motor on more blenders than I'd like to admit. I have the little hand-held mixer that suits our needs. I do LOOOOve my food processor though! Admitedly, I haven't used it as much as I'd like to, but oh well.

#147 of 222 Old 07-10-2004, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

yayaya! what a RAD yardsaling day! We (amazingly) got up bright & early and hit the road! I got:
tons of FREE stuff: 20 lbs. of hard red winter wheat, sidewalk chalk, toys
inf. raft for boys for the pond for $5
tripod, clothes, hemp purse, kids books - $2
DS got a scooter/skateboard - $3
good videos for a buck each!
and my big score... two big boxes with wool roving, wool yarn, wool cards, wooden combs & wooden shuttles for $10!! Unfortunatly, I don't work with wool, but I took it to farm market and asked around if anyone wanted it, and lots of mamas were so excited, so I just passed it all on. We took it to the booth of the sheep raiser who was spinning, and she valued it all at over $200!

umm... I think that's it Anyone else?

#148 of 222 Old 07-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03
we are desperately looking for a bike trailer, so we can get some excercise, start saving money on gas, and just get out of the house a little more often.
Hi there everyone Coming In on the thread a little late

Just noticed this post and wanted to say my friend that I childcare swap with and I just split the cost of a double burley (we both have single chariots) that we found in our local used goods paper called the Bargain Finder.

We each paid 75$ for it, although I traded herbal products and honey for my end.

I found a yougurt maker at a garage sale a couple weeks ago for .50 and a porfolio for my dried herb collection for 2$.

Well, I hope I can join in on all the frugal tips, thanks!
#149 of 222 Old 07-10-2004, 05:46 PM

Hi, I am new here, just saw the thread today after yard sailing.

I am not the most frugal person. Mostly I just find ways to be frugal so that I can splurge when I need to. I mostly love the thrill of finding amazing stuff that people no longer want. I love that I can find exactly what I am looking for when I need it.

ANyways, today I scored a 1$ round wicker laundry hamper, I collect those. I got 3 used womens Ts for my recycled clothing business for 2.50, 10 little glass spice containers with the corky lids for 3.00, and DH found some books of Buddhism. DD was the only one to find something in the free box and she brought that home. I also got a set of alphabet rubber stamps, a collectors one, for 9.00. So of course it wasn't the most thrifty morning but we got what we needed.
People around here don't sell super cheap. Taos,NM.
Now in Boulder, Co, where my in-laws live, there were sales on every street and they had good prices. People there are so rich that it seems they just want the stuff out of their lives. Even the salvation army is amzing there. If I lived there, I would be an ebay re-seller for sure, no problem.

OK, I love this thread, hope I make it back here every now and then.
#150 of 222 Old 07-10-2004, 05:54 PM

Hey guys!
I went to Lowes today (home improvement store) to pick up some stuff to repair our deck. While we were there I checked on the clearance stuff in the nursery. I love, love, love to do that! We picked up 6 eggplant plants with flowers on them for 50c, an african violet in a cool little pot for 25c, a white mum for 50c, and some assorted houseplants (asparagus fern, polkadot plant, and some others) in need of minimum TLC for $2. Grand total of $3.25 for 14 plants! The eggplants are in the garden already in the spot left from the spinach.. this was really a great thing for me as I love eggplant, and since we only had a tiny veggie garden this year we skipped them . The last time I was there they had spring bulbs (to plant in the spring that is, bloom in the summer/fall) for 10 cents a pack! We got $1.60's worth.... or about 125 bulbs I managed to get them in the ground within a week of the "plant by" date too. I plan to go back again at the almost end of fall planting to see if I can get some cheap spring and summer flowers Our new house's gardens should look nice in a year or two!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page