Frugal moms... - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 222 Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you ever bought meat in bulk. I'm mean real bulk, like the whole cow or something? DH is wanting to do that. But I don't really know what's a good deal, and what's not. Any help or experience?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#212 of 222 Old 08-22-2004, 08:27 PM

We buy 1/2 a cow every year. If you are comparing the price of certified organic pre-wrapped beef to buying 1/2 a cow, then it is definitely worth it. It works out to $3/lb for us. Now, if all you eat is ground beef, and a roast once per year, then the supermarket is a better price, although not as tasty or ethical. I know people who sell the cows at $2/lb but I know and love the cows we eat. Right now, Jughead is in our freezer.
It costs us $400/yr and that feeds DH, DS and any guests we have for the whle year. I am a vegetarian. If your DH eats veggies too, then it will last you longer. My DH is a hardcore meat eater.
#213 of 222 Old 08-23-2004, 09:37 PM

how much freezer space do you need to store half a cow?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#214 of 222 Old 08-23-2004, 09:39 PM

a seprate freezer or a deep freeze, im sure
#215 of 222 Old 08-24-2004, 11:25 AM

I have a little 5.5 cu ft. deep freeze, and we can get most of the 1/2 cow in there, with a little in the freezer above the fridge.
#216 of 222 Old 08-24-2004, 01:55 PM

Do you raise the cow yourself? Who butchers it for you and how do you know you are getting your cow back?

I'm asking because my in-laws raise beef cattle and DH and I would love to set aside a cow for ourselves. My in-laws don't want to do it because they say they had problems finding someone to butcher it and they would not get their own meat back. The person who was doing it was switching their meat and giving them other meat which was not as good. They didn't have proof so they couldn't protest. They just stopped raising a cow for themselves. All their cows they sell at the market.

How do you find someone to slaughter and cut up the meat and trust them? I'd love to find someone.
#217 of 222 Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 PM

Well, my parents raise the cows, and Dad knows the old butcher well. The old butcher recommended this guy when he retired, and he seems honest.
The slaughterhouse industry is very heavily regulated in Canada, and there are rules about how to mark beef etc. There are 3 employees at the small local slaughter house, and 2 inspectors, if that tells you anything. I know my uncle has his meat swapped at another place here, but that was years ago.
And quite frankly? The guy would need balls the size of watermelons to rip dad off.
Other people we know do all of the messy parts themselves (killing and gutting) and take the carcass to the university meat cutting program to get it cut into portions.
Like I said, it is a matter of knowing who is trustworthy. This is a very small town, and if the butcher was ripping a rancher off, word would get around pretty quick.
#218 of 222 Old 08-29-2004, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the new thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...55#post1958455

BTW~ I'm still figuring out the whole bulk cow purchase, so any more wisdom is helpful

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#219 of 222 Old 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM

I just got for oldest dd a complete bed set for $5 at our local thrift store. I also got a queen duvet cover for .50. If nothing else I use the materal to make the girls something. (dh and I have a queen bed but use king everything but fitted.)

I went to some yardsales but didnt get much good.

The thrift shop was having a $2 a bag for clothes and half off off everything else!

Dh and I are thinking of buying a half a beef, but we would need another freezer as the one we have if full.
#220 of 222 Old 09-01-2004, 10:08 AM

Can I join? DH is losing his job in 2weeks and I need to get frugal quickly!! Where do I start? I'm so scared!!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#221 of 222 Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 AM

Sorry to hear the news Spiral. Here is a link to get you started

bankrate.com has a frugal newsletter they send out by email. far warning i havent read this article in full so i am not sure how good it is ~ but at least it is something you can start with right now!
#222 of 222 Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

C'mon mamas.. stop posting over here! Here's the new thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=187666

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page