Frugal moms... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 222 Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!
Since yard sale season is now in full swing, I thought we should reignite this thread. Share your scores, tell of yardsaling strategies, other $$-saving strategies, tips on having yardsales, etc.

I just went to a yardsale today of missionaries moving to Africa who were ridding themselves of most material goods. (yay, for me!). I got a huge box of candle-making supplies, a deep roasting pan full of unopened organic oil, spices, wheatgerm and art supplies, as well as (drumroll...) two brand new pairs of Birkenstock (yes, namebrand!) sandals. Total?? 3 bucks!!!!!!!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#2 of 222 Old 05-08-2004, 11:04 PM

OMG!!!!!!!! I am soooo jealous. I know I won't find anything that good around here!!
#3 of 222 Old 05-08-2004, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so jealous of the Birkenstock find! Good bargains momma!

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#4 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 12:59 AM

Julie, you found some great deals!~ would have *loved* to find birks..... we had a community garage sale this weekend it was fun. found a lot of namebrand good quality kids clothes, new balance tennis shoes brand new $2 ... pyrex dishes, nature/animal books...... I love yard sales there are sooo many good finds for not that much money~
(I'm not materialistic and only into namebrands, but I find that kids clothes actually hold up a lot better and last longer) =)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#5 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 06:30 AM

We have the best thrift stores in the world here in Chi-town. I got a pair of NEW Birkenstock shoes and a pair of Dansko for 2 dollars each. Brita filters for 99 cents for an 8 pack . Thank goodness, I couldnt see paying full price. I got a 5 pound brick of beeswax also for 50 cents. I cannot pay full price for anything anymore. Happy thrifting, garage saleing or wahtever is in your neck of the woods
#6 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 08:05 AM

I work for a church, and get to make my purchases at their annual rummage sale while the ladies are setting it up. We've been living QUITE frugally since my husband was out of work for a month (he now has a job...yipee!), so I wasn't going to bother going this year. I had to work anyway, so I went down to the sale to check it out...I found such good stuff that I had to fill a bag (it's a bag sale...$5 a bag). I saw they had two almost-new carseats (formerly owned by a mom I know!) and asked what the price was for them (in case friends could use them, as I knew I couldn't afford them!). I got the two carseats and my bag full of jeans and other clothes for my kids, sneakers, books, cards, coats, etc. ... all for $6!!!

We went to an annual yard sale this year, where we got two bowling balls and a bag last year for $5 total, and were told that if we came back the next day, we could fill a box for $10...any size box. We arrived bright and early the next morning with a computer box....filled it for $10 (oil lamp, lantern, garden tools, a kitchen scale, a case with a beautiful coffee set in it, a Mikasa coffe serving pot, a vase, tools, 40 ball jar dome lids, several containers, about 20 different kitchen utensils, an old metal pin the tail on the donkey game, fabric, a bag full of zippers, and tons more. They had EVERYTHING at this sale!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#7 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 02:47 PM

yall got some great finds!!!!

we wenty to an auction yesterday where they were selling off storage unit contents.. we are desperately looking for a bike trailer, so we can get some excercise, start saving money on gas, and just get out of the house a little more often.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#8 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

wow! eveyone's finding great scores! mom2three... I wish I could find some car seats to replace our skanky ones!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#9 of 222 Old 05-09-2004, 11:35 PM

Great finds. I haven't been saling yet this year.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#10 of 222 Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 AM

I also live in Chicago. Do you know that this coming weekend May 15-16, St Francis is having a yard sale, they usually have good stuffs cheap..
#11 of 222 Old 05-11-2004, 04:34 AM

Hey hey hey!! Count me in!!! My DH calls me the Queen of thrift!!

I havent been yet, Been down & ILL, but Im Going SALE'n next weekend!!!! (after payday)
#12 of 222 Old 05-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Oooh, I am the queen of garage sales right now. We just moved into a real house, and picked up a shovel, composter (one of the black insulated ones), a hoe and a spade for $7. Yay me! I also picked up a solid oak table (then dropeed it on my toes. ) and chairs for $50.
We just moved to a much more expensive area, but apparently the garage sales are awesome. Yay us!
#13 of 222 Old 05-11-2004, 02:06 PM

I havent been yarding this season yet Between morning sickness, moving and living 13 miles out of town I havent felt like going. Besides they arent in full swing yet. Looking forward to seeing what my good finds wil be
#14 of 222 Old 05-12-2004, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Has everyone here read The Complete Tightwad Gazette ?
Just making sure...
I'm having trouble finding other books to read on saving money that are as good as that one. Any suggestions?

#15 of 222 Old 05-12-2004, 05:42 PM

It is "spring clean-up" time here. Everyone puts all the stuff they don't want in the alley and it gets hauled away for free. I consider it free shopping Last year I got a patio table and umbrella. This year I got a great wooden rocking chair, I just need to make a few small repairs and refinish it! I have hit a few garage sales too. I found a few good deals. I can;t wait till the sales are in full swing!

#16 of 222 Old 05-12-2004, 05:53 PM

I am envious! We don't have good garage sales around here.
#17 of 222 Old 05-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
Has everyone here read The Complete Tightwad Gazette ?
I'm holding my LLL's copy of it hostage (actually, I'm just having trouble remembering to bring it back...and I keep rereading it and rereading it!). They have some great tips in there....and the cuban bread recipe works well for loaves as well!

Anyone here freecycle?

#18 of 222 Old 05-14-2004, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL I kept renewing my copy of the TWG until it looked so used, that I finally retuned it and bought a used one from Amazon.com.

I'd love to freecycle, but in my area I guess I'd actually have to start it and be the mod. uh-oh, i think i'd collapse under the pressure!

#19 of 222 Old 05-14-2004, 11:26 PM

Funny I just got done doing our budget and seeing where we could cut costs. We livei n Brooklyn so we go to consign/thrift stores but don't have the luxury of sale-ing.

My question is The Complete Tightwad Gazette how good is it really? Is it really worth the 13 or so bucks I have to spend to get it? Can you give me some examples of valuable-the book paid for itself-tips? Thanks!
#20 of 222 Old 05-15-2004, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

My post meant to say I renewed the book from the library...
goodcents ~ check your library, they probably have it. There were 3 volumes and the Complete TWG is a compendium.
It is truly inspiring b/c the author has 6 kids and is living debt-free and retired at age 40-something. wow! Taught me how to make & use a price book for buying groceries. Where to make major investments and where not to (bought our chest freezer b/c of it). It's not like any other money saving book I've read. The last ones I checked out from the library were one on saving money by buying nearly everything from the dollar store (=crap), and the other was the Consumer Reports one about getting the best value for your dollar while buying fast food and such!
Amy Dascyzyn's (sp?) book is very practical and real. And serious tightwaddery!

#21 of 222 Old 05-15-2004, 01:54 AM

goodcents- TG is a great book. I keep checking it out from the library. Give it a look at the library before you buy in case it's things you already know or don't think it would work for you. Some of it I'd never do, or can't- other things are great ideas.

There's a bigger edition that contains both the TG books- that one would be the best bargain if you're buying.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#22 of 222 Old 05-15-2004, 05:58 PM

So, how was garage saling today everybody? What did you get?
I got:
Corningware salt and pepper shakers to go with my collection - 50 cents
a matress for ds's new bed, and a dresser - $10, delivered
Tons of size 4-6x clothes - 25 cents each (total, $2.50)
Electric kettle - $1
Seed sprouter - 25 cents.
Iron, new in the box - 50 cents
#23 of 222 Old 05-15-2004, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I got
*books for selling on ebay
*lots of 10c books for us
*kids Burton snowboarding boots for $7
*dinosaur floor puzzle for DS's b-day $3 (a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I know he will LOVE the puzzle)
*very stylish rainbow plaid kitchen towels 5/$1
*free wooden traveling carrier for small animals
*very large tupperwares 25c each

yay! Throkmorton - you got some RAD scores! mattress and dresser for 10 bucks.... delivered!!! NICE!

#24 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 07:04 AM

Yesterday I got:
* a big turkey roasting pan w/ cover for 50 cents
* 14 children's books (including several big, hardbound books such as James Herriot's Tales for Children...most for homeschooling) for $2
* a toaster for $3

And I freecycled a trunk-full of clothes which will clothe both of my boys this summer ... and for about 2-3 years to come! (Lots of Old Navy, LL Bean, Children's Place, OP, FUBU, Gap) FREE

My friend, who is visiting from Nebraska (and tag sale virgin) was amazed at what you can get at tag sales and consignment shops. She was planning on paying $15 each for my son and daughter's upcoming birthdays. So far she got my daughter an outfit and shirt and still has $7.50 left in her budget for her ... and she bought my son an educational CD-rom game and a big castle playset and has $8 left to spend on him. She's amazed!

#25 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 09:49 AM

We live in a quiet neighborhood of primarily retirees. It's near a main road, but we don't get any traffic at all down at our end. So whenever one of us has a sale, we really don't do well at all.

I was thinking of coordinating a neighborhood-wide garage sale - we would all hold it the same weekend and I would run an advertisement in the local newspaper, make large signs, etc.

Has anyone here ever been a coordinator for one of these things? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
#26 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I think if those are advertised well, they can do really well. Our area is full of community sales b/c so much is rural out here. My neighborhood has a yearly yard sale at the bottom of the mountain where there are tennis courts & an old ski chalet (b/c there's a parking lot). Tons of people come to it, much more than would venture up our mountain to find a single one, although some people are into having their own sale. It is the Property Owners Assoc. who makes signs, puts ad in paper, etc. They go around with a bucket to all the sellers and ask for a little donation to reimburse their efforts. They do LOTS of advertising, too. They make nice 8x10 laminated sheets and post them all over town (library, cafe windows, gas station, anywhere they are allowed) about a week in advance. Maybe you could find some other neighbors who could volunteer to help advertise.
good luck!

#27 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 10:12 AM

oh, frugal moms, please help me!!! i am a complete failure as a frugal mom. i am starting to really worry about myself, i just can't hold on to my $$, i don't know what my problem is. even when i am good about tracking it, i still have no willpower. it's hard living in NYC where temptation lurks on every corner. maybe it's easier in rural areas? or maybe the internet kills that theory. anyway, i need help!

i guess i will look for the TWG. one problem for me is i can't buy bulk b/c i live in the city and don't have a car. are all you frugal moms SAHMs?

oh, about yard sales and such ... when i lived in seattle and had a car, my favorite springtime activity was dumpster diving on college campuses during move-out week. those college kids throw out EVERYTHING. big fun. too late now for most schools but if your local college hasn't ended its term yet, definitely go get yourself a sofa!
#28 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM

Just wanted to mention that, if after checking out the TWG you want to buy it, you can often find cheap copies on half.com -- I buy A LOT of books there! For you college students, they even have great deals on textbooks, especially around the end and beginning of semeseters.

I am trying, trying, trying to be more frugal. But I'm also trying to steer our family towards a more natural, organic lifestyle, and sometimes those two thigns seem to be opposing forces. Can't wait until this "alternative" lifestyle becomes mainstream so it isn't so darned expensive! <lol>

As for yardsales, I found some good clothes for DD and DS yesterday, and a few more to resell on ebay. In fact, the ones I resell should probably cover the cost of the ones I bought for our use. (Gotta love ebay!)

Here's a question for all of your frugal mamas: How do you yardsale with children? My two year old hates, hates, hates getting in and out, in and out, in and out of the car. And my infant isn't too thrilled with it either. And then I spend half my time trying to keep little fingers away from breakable stuff. (I got to go without DS yesterday because DH was home, but that's unusual.)

Anyway, happy saling to you all!
#29 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

My kids love yardsaling... well, my youngest is only 10 mon. so I guess he doesn't have an opinion yet . But he doesn't mind it. I definately can't go power-yard-saling with the kids b/c of the time to get in & out of car = time to change dipes, BF, etc. My older son loves YSing, but I don't really love him to go with me b/c he always just wants to buy junky toys. He started having to bring his own coin pouch to pay for his stuff. Also, if he's with me I can't buy him presents (or buy surprises for DH - he always gives it away!). But since DH is gone all week, he doesn't mind hanging out with DS1 while I yardsale Sat. mornings.
Another thought about that is: 2 yrs. ago, when we lived closer to town, 3 other moms & I started a child-care coop on Sat. mornings. I was the only one using it to go yardsaling, but it worked out well for everyone. I only had to sacrifice 1 sat. morning a month to stay at home.

guerrillamama~ You should definatly check out the Complete TWG. the author lives rural, but she used to live in NYC (i think that was the city) and has great tips on how to maximize storage space, and live frugally in a city

For used books, check out http://www.addall.com
It has a database of every single used book website you can imagine. It just searches all of them and finds the best rates!

I am a WAHM. I do ebay and shipping for Suzanne Arms' local non-profit. Guerrillamama~ I'm sort of in the opposite situation as you, b/c I live extremely rural. But a friend who lives up the mountain from me has had major car problems, and for several months, she would just ride into town with us, and she could buy all her bulk groceries, go yardsaling, to the thrift, etc. Do you know anyone who is also into bulk buying and has a car that could help you out?

#30 of 222 Old 05-16-2004, 01:21 PM

I am not really rural, I am in a realively small city. I take DS garage saleing by popping him into the stroller and going. This is a good option if where youi live is flat and you don't mind the walk. Of course, i don't have a car either. Sometimes, DH will keep an eye on DS so that I can go with my grandma, who does drive.

Guerillamama- Friends of mine who do not drive often rant a car once a month, or take a cab. I shop with a wagon to drag DS around it, and that is about as bulk as I get. Of course, it is a pretty good sized wagon, so I can drag home 50 lbs of flour, a couple cases of juice or cans, and some other stuff in one trip. Is there an orgaic co-op or anything that you can find? Do you have a friend who also wants to save money who would split stuff like the cab fare/car rental, huge bags of flour and stuff? Also, I buy a lot of my stuff out of the bulk bins at the nearty grocery store, and it is generally 50% of the pre-packaged price. Plus, i don't have to buy tons.

As for a community yard sale, our neighborhood had one every year on the same weekend, and one person was in charge of putting the ad in the paper. Anyone participating gave her a dollar for the advertising costs. How to organize it? Just talk to your neighbors and say "I was thinking of having a garage sale on x weekend, but if several of us do it together, we will get more people. Interested?"

Steph

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page