Sizzling Savings! The August No/Low Spending Challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Sizzling Savings! The August No/Low Spending Challenge

Here's something a bit different, because I think it will make a difference in how this thread can help keep us accountable and disciplined.

The goal of this thread is helping you spend and save your money in a conscientious, meaningful, intentional way, whether that is a little, a lot, or none at all! It has motivated so many of us in the past, and it can again!

Here are some new ways to challenge yourself using this thread:

1. My goal for this month...

2. My long term goals...

3. My challenges....

4. How I will use this thread...

You can check in daily, check in weekly, check in as you remember. You can set a savings goal, limit spending, track expenses in one area. You can use smileys or not; you can use this thread in whatever way is helpful. The support, feedback and accountability is wonderful!

For those of you who want the old set up, here it is:
Quote:
This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be August, NOW is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending. We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

1. My goal for this month...
Continue pursuing my goals from July. That was to create a budget around what we bring home. All the informatio is now available to me, I just need to sit down and work it out. I want to track our grocery budget especially, and bring the family around to collectively stick to a low food bill.

2. My long term goals...
We need to get a car in the spring. I want to end the winter with at least as much money in the bank as what we start with and still be able to keep the girls in their activities.

3. My challenges....
We are self employed and homeschooling so we effectively have one income, and dh's work is seasonal and the bulk of our spending is in the winter when we are not bringing in income. It's hard to create a workable budget when we do not have predictable income year to year, let along month to month or week to week.

4. How I will use this thread...
I might use it to more actively track spending, but at least I'm going to check in weekly to assess how I'm progressing towards my goals for this month.

See you around!

#3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
1. My goal for this month... Continue tracking our budget for leaks and wants/needs that need to be taken care of so we can address these items. We have some major repairs we want to do to our vehicle soon and we need to save the money for this as well.

2. My long term goals... Pay off all of our debt and lower our monthly expenses so we can afford to live on less and be better prepared with savings when things come up. Save money to buy/build a house.

3. My challenges.... I still need to replace/change a lot of things here to meet my crunchy goals and while that'll save us money it will cost us money to start so I need to work on that list. Small spending is an issue as well.

4. How I will use this thread... I will use this thread to track my spending and my list of wants & needs to get taken care of. I did very well keeping up with the new format in July so I want to stay in this thread in August also.

For August so far the plan is to continue to track the budget for leaks and to assess dh's spending and gas budget so we can get better numbers there. It is coming up on sports season as well so we definitely need to start doing better with the small spending so it doesn't get out of hand at the ball field. We are also planning a camping trip for dh's week home this month. I need to get things we need for the trip ready and hopefully without spending too much money. We talked about needing a new tent but I'm going to check it out again and see if I can repair it instead to save the money. Even so the repairs will need to be made, a list for other items needs to be made and there's shopping to do pre-trip. I have already started a list of items to be purchased this month so I'm hoping to stay on track.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Since the week has begun, even though August isn't quite here, I'm going to be keeping closer track, though not necessary daily. I might miss a few days or a whole lot, but it will still be helpful.

Here's a few of the smileys to keep track, depending on my mood and whims.

= poor spending, or unavoidable and depressing expenses
= neutral to positive spending
= no spending, made our own fun at home AND had a no-spend

This week's goal is to stay home with the kiddos as much as possible, figure our average monthly income for the last 2 years, and estimate our potential income for the rest of the year, add up all bills and expenses minus groceries. Next week, make a grocery budget from that information.

Week 1:

Frugal things I've done this week so far:

Ate out of the garden, made bread and a big pot of beans, STAYED HOME

Last edited by SweetSilver; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page