How to Pay Down Credit Card Debt- Help Please!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to Pay Down Credit Card Debt- Help Please!!

I am familiar with both the snowball and the avalanche methods of paying down debt. I have a question though. How do you pay off one credit card with multiple balances at different interest rates? I have 3 such cards and from my understanding the credit cad company applies the payment to the lower interest rate balance. If I am only paying minimum balances will anything over the minimum go toward the higher interest rate balance or does the whole payment go to the lower interest rate balance? If I never pay over the minimum balance with the higher interest rate balance just increase every month as interest is added?

My problem is these cards have my lowest interest rates as well as my highest interest rates. While I would love to hold off on paying off the lowest interest rates until other cards with higher rate are payed off I don't think it is possible, is it?

I have tried searching the internet for an answer to this question but had no luck so I came here. Also anyone use this calculator from vertex42?

http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/...alculator.html

I was trying to use it but ran into the problem described above with one card and two balances and didn't know how to enter it into the spreadsheet. Ideas?

Thanks!!
#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is it possible to transfer the balance to a new card with a set (and hopefully very low) interest rate? Even if you were paying a certain amount for a transfer fee or whatever it is called, it might save you money in the long run.
#3 of 3 Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
According to the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act of 2009, any payment above the minimum must be applied to the balance with the highest rate (it's on page 8 of the linked document).

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...11hr627enr.pdf

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page