Frugal Christmas gift ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Frugal Christmas gift ideas

Could we all share some ideas we have that we are planning to do this year for frugal Christmas gift ideas? I have a few but I need some help and inspiration!!

I buy gift sets when they are on sale after Christmas so I have some of those stocked up.

What about you guys?

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma,mia View Post
Could we all share some ideas we have that we are planning to do this year for frugal Christmas gift ideas? I have a few but I need some help and inspiration!!

I buy gift sets when they are on sale after Christmas so I have some of those stocked up.

What about you guys?
I am not so big on giving Christmas gifts usually. It seems as if anything tangible simply adds to people's material burden (storing things, cleaning things, eventually discarding things) -- but I do give consumables. Right now is the time of year I make my homemade low sugar peach jam. That seems to be a popular gift. I also used to make loaves of cinnamon bread which was a very appreciated gift. My daughter just made some cookies to give as a birthday gift but Christmas already seems to have waaayy too many cookies kicking around.

For the elderly, homebound, disabled, or just very very busy person I think homemade food (maybe things that can be frozen for later) is a wonderful gift. Soups or some personal favorite food is always good. People don't get a lot of homemade food anymore nad they seem to really enjoy eating it and receiving it. My sister used to make loaves of banana bread. The whole family used to really, really love that. We starting equating Christmas with banana bread!

I have found many gifts for my kids at yard sales that i hit up over the summer. Sometimes just stocking stuffers, like a necklace or a small toy but also a nice piece of furniture or a great book or game, etc. (much of it new in the box) It isn't all that my kids get, by any means, as I usually spend about $150 on each of them outside of the yard sale stuff. But the yard sale stuff really fills out the stocking and gives them more to open.

I recently hit a clearance sale and bought a beatiful scarf for $4; keep a look out for those types of things --

My grandmother kept a "gift drawer" all year round. She would put things in there that she bought at a good price or even things that were given to her but she didn't want (better put a note with it as to who you got it from so you don't offend!). At that time, people seemed to exchange luxurious but practical things - fancy soaps, writing paper and note cards, candles, hand towels. It seemed weird at the time because I was a kid; now that I often feel overburdened with "stuff", it makes a lot of sense. Even my kids appreciate the fancy homemade soaps in their Christmas stockings...
#4 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Homemade sounds good.

Banana bread is one I could do.
Soups in cute containers.
Yard sale stocking stuffers!
Gift drawer/closet for sale items throughout the year.
Homemade candies (or choco covered pretzels lol)

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

#5 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DIY or homemade is cheaper than buying a product in the mall or supermarkets. Buying bulk is always a good way to save money. I used to bake some cookies for my friends and give that as a present for Christmas. I also make some throw pillow cases with my friends or family names. You can never go wrong with personalized gifts too.
#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year my family got home made, garden green tomato pickles, chow-chow relish, and black-eye pea mix. I spent about $5 on each (jars, basket, ingredients). They are also special family recipes and we have always had a new years tradition on black eyed peas for new years.

I also have a pinterest board for DIY gifts: http://www.pinterest.com/lizzyqwardl...ts-and-crafts/

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!

User Tag List