Beans and rice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Beans and rice

We are looking to reduce our food bill and that means probably going vegetarian a few times a week. Can anyone share delicious bean and rice recipes? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine73 View Post
We are looking to reduce our food bill and that means probably going vegetarian a few times a week. Can anyone share delicious bean and rice recipes? Thanks in advance.
Here are a couple really easy one-pot ones. I used to make them in my saute and simmer rice cooker before it broke, but now I do it in a big pot:

Mexican Beans and Rice-
Rice (1 cup)
Black or Pinto Beans (pre cooked or canned)
Can of diced tomatoes
Taco seasoning or salsa, or a bunch of left over hot sauce packets (lol)
Frozen corn (optional)
Top with mexican style cheese (optional)
Cook it all together with about a cup of water

Indian Beans and Rice
Rice (1 cup)
Chickpeas
Can of coconut milk
Fresh or frozen veggies of your choice
Curry
Cook it all together with about a cup of water, add more as needed. I also like a little Bragg's on this.

Italian Rice and Beans
Rice
White Beans (precooked or canned)
Can of diced tomatoes
Italian Seasoning
Cook with about a cup of water,
top with Mozz or Parm cheese (optional)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#3 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
We use the taste.com Spanish rice recipe. We wrap it in flat bread and top with grated cheese, fresh tomatoes, sour cream and avocado(if we have them). Also delicious with the flat bread omitted and just in a bowl. Sometimes I use four bean mix instead of kidney beans and I often use two tins instead of one to increase the protein.
#4 of 6 Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I grew up on beans, rice and potatoes. And, since I left home I cooked fancy meals. Now, I am back to rice, beans, and potatoes for time and money. All these are Mexican ideas.

My Mexican rice has tomato sauce, salt, and cumin. Sometimes onion.

haystacks:
Tostadas or corn chips at base. Top with rice beans. Sometimes we just top with one of these or all of these: lettuce, tomato, cheese, olives, salsa.

Bean and rice burritos. Or bean and potatoes burritos. For the kids, add cheese. For parents, just add salsa.

Or use corn tortillas and make bean enchiladas.

Quesadillas with side of refried beans and rice.

Bolillo bread (or something similar). Cut in half and add refried beans with cheese. Toast in toaster oven.

And a non-Mexican one:
basmati rice and chickpeas seasoned with (onions,) cumin, and paprika.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#5 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beans or lentils added to soups or stews to make them more filling. Veggie burgers out of lentils or beans (Fried/browned patties made out of ground up beans/lentils mixed with onion, bread crumbs, egg and spices). Mujadara or middle eastern lentils with onions dish: cooked onions with salt and carmelized onions.

familybed2.gif, bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIF, mom to DS winky.gif 6 and DD 3 and a wife to DH for 12 years partners.gif  veganeat.gif,
#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I rarely use a real recipe. I just cook beans with whatever fresh or frozen veggies I have around, add rice in the last 1/2 hour for white rice, and hour or so for brown rice. Cook in broth (home made chicken or veggie). I grow a good assortment of fresh herbs - way frugal, and really improves almost any meal!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page