Food budget revamp how much does your family of 6 spend on food per month? - Mothering Forums

Food budget revamp how much does your family of 6 spend on food per month?

kindofcrunchy82's Avatar kindofcrunchy82 (TS)
01:54 PM Liked: 11
#1 of 2
08-21-2014 | Posts: 60
I used to spend about 300$ a month on all food/eating out etc for myself and 2 kids. Now living with DP and his 2 dd's has been eye opening!

We have no food allergies known but other minor issues

Ds will not eat beef at all
DP is a big meat eater
DSD *1 we suspect has sensitivity to food preservatives. Overall DP was spending 700$

I have a sams membership for another year. I would love to start making more from scratch food and cutting the budget down, but am stick unpacking and adjusting to the extra people to feed. What would be the best way to lower the budget first?

Eating out less? As a family of 6 we don't eat out often
Making snacks from scratch? (right now a little difficult but in the future)
Freeze ahead meals
knittindigo's Avatar knittindigo
12:21 PM Liked: 10
#2 of 2
08-22-2014 | Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofcrunchy82 View Post
I used to spend about 300$ a month on all food/eating out etc for myself and 2 kids. Now living with DP and his 2 dd's has been eye opening!

We have no food allergies known but other minor issues

Ds will not eat beef at all
DP is a big meat eater
DSD *1 we suspect has sensitivity to food preservatives. Overall DP was spending 700$

I have a sams membership for another year. I would love to start making more from scratch food and cutting the budget down, but am stick unpacking and adjusting to the extra people to feed. What would be the best way to lower the budget first?

Eating out less? As a family of 6 we don't eat out often
Making snacks from scratch? (right now a little difficult but in the future)
Freeze ahead meals
My favorite blog is Wholesome Mommy. A friend of mine does freezer meals from livingwellspendingless.com
Wholesome Mommy is doing healthy meal plans in a food stamp budget while mostly shopping at walmart. I don't follow it very closely but I do go through the recipes and shopping lists for inspiration.
I am just recently getting into freezing things myself.
I completely feel your pain about groceries. I have a family of 4 and we can afford about $50-$75 a week. :-/ My littlest girl could drink a gallon of milk a day if I let her x.x
Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances