preschool or no? $$ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
#1 of 4 Unread Yesterday, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
preschool or no? $$

Just wondering if people sacrifice other things to send their kids to preschool. I did not put DS 8 in preschool. He is a natural introvert and started K young ( 6 weeks after he turned 5).

Well DP's youngest dd is home with me and my dd, both are 3. The elementary school has a preschool program (peer modeling), it is 165$ per month 3 hours a day/5 days a week when school is in session. Per child. They have 15 slots. This would be for next year. DP's dd imo needs interaction with other kids. She is easily bored and doesn't like independent play like my dd does 165$ per month is very inexpensive in our area. I just don't know if we can spend that much money on preschool for 2 kids. This would not be until august and the kids need to be accepted into the program, competing against children that get free and reduced prices as well as those like us who would pay full price.

At the very minimum I feel dp's dd needs at least one day next fall (the day my dd is with her dad) in some kind of program.

But we were also wanting to do a lot of things, like get married, buy a house, pay down our debt and put all the kids in some type of extra curriculars. I just dont know how we could do all those things starting at the same time or within a years time frame.

In addition K is half day or whole day is fee based 275$ per month per child for the extra 3.5 hours) that doesn't include before or afterschool care. meaning me working outside the home is high near impossible until they both enter first grade. There is the option of putting one or both in fee based K and me trying to find a job again, but...We we have 4 kids, and before and after school care plus summer care would likely eat up my entire income. It is 100$ per week per child for before/after school care not including days off or summer. So at minimum we would be looking 1600$ per month, approx 400$ per month my ex would pay if I took him back to court.

So what would others do in this situation? Continue to keep the kids at home? Look for a one day a week mothers day out program?

I plan to begin preschool at home in january with both the 3 year olds (which is what i did with my ds). for early education readiness.)

SAHM to DS 8, DSD 6, DD 3 and DSD 3. Happily in love with my Superman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Unread Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Why exactly do you feel they need the day out? Do you need the time to do other things, do you see a social need of theirs, educational, or just that they need to get used to school structure? I wouldn't do it, but mine are very attached and don't like to leave me, and we had a bad experience trying kindergarten (busywork, candy bribes, arbitrary discipline, no real learning at his level). Mine are homeschooled. Also I'm very relaxed about their education in the early years, I find they pick up everything they need naturally before age 5 and it doesn't take much work or time the first couple years of schooling either.
#3 of 4 Unread Today, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Why exactly do you feel they need the day out? Do you need the time to do other things, do you see a social need of theirs, educational, or just that they need to get used to school structure? I wouldn't do it, but mine are very attached and don't like to leave me, and we had a bad experience trying kindergarten (busywork, candy bribes, arbitrary discipline, no real learning at his level). Mine are homeschooled. Also I'm very relaxed about their education in the early years, I find they pick up everything they need naturally before age 5 and it doesn't take much work or time the first couple years of schooling either.

Mostly dp's dd 3 is used to having 10 hours of constant interaction with other children, many other children in a daycare setting. She has a hard time playing indpendently which hasn't been an issue with my 2 bio children because I encouraged independent play and they haven't gone to preschool. I would like time to do my own stuff during the day when my kids go to their dads which is why I was thinking a parents day out would be good for dp's dd at least one day a week. It would give her social time and give me time to get things done without the kids around. Due to the other parents schedule my weekends aside from one evening (fridays after 6 pm) I always have my own kids. My only day break from my own kids is tuesdays. My dp seemed more interested in putting his dd 3 in pre school next year than me or for my dd. I am fine keeping them out of pre school because I see my ds hasn't had any academic issues from lack of pre school.

SAHM to DS 8, DSD 6, DD 3 and DSD 3. Happily in love with my Superman!
#4 of 4 Unread Today, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I see both sides. My kids didn't go to preschool and did great. It sounds like you are looking at preschool vs. more economic security for you, your partner, and all 4 kids.

Have you checked into classes through parks and rec, or the Y? Starting at age 3, my kids were always in some sort of class -- from creative movement to pottery to one called "dinosaur art." They were all really inexpensive because we skipped the big gymnastic centers and dance studios and all that. It worked out really well -- they had lots of different experiences, learned to be in a group with a teacher other than mom, and it was VERY economical. We also did story time at the library, and had a weekly play date with friends.

On a practical note, do you guys have a daily or weekly schedule? We had a basic daily schedule and we also did 1 special thing each day. Here is an example:

Monday - pottery class at Parks and Rec
Tuesday - art project at home with mom (something like making play dough, or finger painting)
Wednesday - story time at library, and then the park afterwards with friends
Thursday - grocery shopping. I know its not fun, but.....
Friday - creative movement at Y

If you guys don't have a schedule/ routine, you might try it and see if you DSD seems more settled.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List