2015 Low Income Support Thread - Mothering Forums

2015 Low Income Support Thread

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 (TS)
02:05 PM Liked: 2774
#1 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 4,840
Welcome 2015- hoping the New Year is better for everyone.
SUPPORT ONLY!!
mamabear0314's Avatar mamabear0314
02:50 PM Liked: 2169
#2 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 1,365
I'm optimistic about 2015!
sillysapling's Avatar sillysapling
04:51 PM Liked: 3092
#3 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 1,092
I just need a new job and things'll be okay.
justmama's Avatar justmama
05:13 PM Liked: 352
#4 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 5,761
Hoping 2015 is a better year than 2014. I'm going to spend tomorrow cleaning my house and making resolutions so i can start the year on a high note.
Gratefuls:
-a special someone who makes me really truly happy.
-my parents who gave me 3 1/2 kid-free hours today.
-yoga this morning
-this vacation week has been great to do the little things like make a nice breakfast for my girls or have the time to go hiking.
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
07:59 PM Liked: 687
#5 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 1,627
Happy New Year everyone!!!!
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat
09:28 PM Liked: 71
#6 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 1,178
After all our good news around the holiday, crap keeps coming. First, DH's work had told everyone to expect to get paid on Tuesday before Christmas. The burser had other ideas. Since my planning has been so close to the wire, we got hit with three flipping overdraft fees cuz of that, for a total of $90. I rearranged some stuff to account for that, and DH's car broke down. We can get the part and get it fixed for $80, but crappola. Once we hit the end of Jan, we'll be doing much better, but I haven't gotten DH's holiday gifts (necessary clothing stuff), I got nothing from the immediate family for myself , and my b-day is in Jan, and it looks like no b-day dinner is gonna happen at this rate.

Now, I'm just frustrated about this. Like I'm grasping for it and it's just barely out of reach.
09:34 PM Liked: 3092
#7 of 133
Did you call the bank and explain the situation? Sometimes they'll work with you, especially given the circumstances and if you have good history. You could at least reduce the overdraft fees, if not eradicate them.

Put in an application at 3 different temp agencies, really hope SOMETHING works out. I realized that I haven't actually seriously job searched since getting the job I'm at, I hope this time I can do better. Found something that said that a lot of the resume processing programs can't search PDFs, if that's true then it may explain something. :| I really hope things work out soon. I kind of hate applying for positions I actually want, because it feels worse to not get it.

Still trying to figure out HOW to actually get a job. I'm not even getting interviews anywhere decent.
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat
09:42 PM Liked: 71
#8 of 133
12-30-2014 | Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
Did you call the bank and explain the situation? Sometimes they'll work with you, especially given the circumstances and if you have good history. You could at least reduce the overdraft fees, if not eradicate them.
Sadly, we've been too close for too long, and don't really have a good history of not overdrafting. It's been getting better, slowly but surely, but it's just not there.

Quote:
Put in an application at 3 different temp agencies, really hope SOMETHING works out. I realized that I haven't actually seriously job searched since getting the job I'm at, I hope this time I can do better. Found something that said that a lot of the resume processing programs can't search PDFs, if that's true then it may explain something. :| I really hope things work out soon. I kind of hate applying for positions I actually want, because it feels worse to not get it.

Still trying to figure out HOW to actually get a job. I'm not even getting interviews anywhere decent.
Do you have your resume updated? Do you tweak it for each position?
I set up master resumes, which you would then pare down to the best information for the job you are applying to. I get lots of compliments on my resumes. I could give you some pointers.
09:56 PM Liked: 3092
#9 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Sadly, we've been too close for too long, and don't really have a good history of not overdrafting. It's been getting better, slowly but surely, but it's just not there.
Ah, ouch. It was worth a shot. That's just awful. I'm glad that we're able to manage to keep a buffer of savings so that we don't have to totally live paycheck to paycheck, but it's been dwindling and losing 20% of my paycheck isn't going to help. (they cut my hours @_@)

Quote:
Do you have your resume updated? Do you tweak it for each position?
I set up master resumes, which you would then pare down to the best information for the job you are applying to. I get lots of compliments on my resumes. I could give you some pointers.
I do. I have a 'master' resume that has all the information I could need, and 3 or 4 "base" resumes for specific positions that I tweak as needed. I also do cover letters for each position, and try to use keywords listed in the job description to show I have the skills they're looking for.

I'd love it if you could give me some pointers, I have no idea what I'm doing. My college had a resume creating program and career advisors- but I feel they didn't have any idea what they were talking about. :/ I don't know how to make a resume as a recent graduate or how to talk up the (little) work experience I've had.

I'm pretty sure that my references would give good references, although I worry. I'm planning on asking at least one of the people where I'm working now if I can put them as references as well.
08:39 AM Liked: 2169
#10 of 133
12-31-2014 | Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Ah, ouch. It was worth a shot. That's just awful. I'm glad that we're able to manage to keep a buffer of savings so that we don't have to totally live paycheck to paycheck, but it's been dwindling and losing 20% of my paycheck isn't going to help. (they cut my hours @_@)

I do. I have a 'master' resume that has all the information I could need, and 3 or 4 "base" resumes for specific positions that I tweak as needed. I also do cover letters for each position, and try to use keywords listed in the job description to show I have the skills they're looking for.

I'd love it if you could give me some pointers, I have no idea what I'm doing. My college had a resume creating program and career advisors- but I feel they didn't have any idea what they were talking about. :/ I don't know how to make a resume as a recent graduate or how to talk up the (little) work experience I've had.

I'm pretty sure that my references would give good references, although I worry. I'm planning on asking at least one of the people where I'm working now if I can put them as references as well.
some universities have a career center that help with resumes, I know mine does. Might be worth a shot to call?
09:52 AM Liked: 3092
#11 of 133
12-31-2014 | Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
some universities have a career center that help with resumes, I know mine does. Might be worth a shot to call?
I'm not there anymore and, as I said, I don't feel they were much help. DP worked with them more closely, and hasn't even gotten the responses I have despite having more experience. They gave advice that I'm pretty sure was outdated. Their main goal was to help people get internships while in college- they didn't really know how to help people get jobs.
11:02 AM Liked: 2169
#12 of 133
12-31-2014 | Posts: 1,365
Quote:
I'm not there anymore and, as I said, I don't feel they were much help. DP worked with them more closely, and hasn't even gotten the responses I have despite having more experience. They gave advice that I'm pretty sure was outdated. Their main goal was to help people get internships while in college- they didn't really know how to help people get jobs.
oh that sucks, I'm sorry.
Satori's Avatar Satori
12:42 PM Liked: 56
#13 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 7,758
Just poking my head in, 2014 was probably the most difficult of my life. Praying 2015 is better but so far its not looking positive. I got a text yesterday that my rent is being raised effective today, car insurance went up because my payment was late because I spent a few days in bed due to the flu I haven't worked in 2 weeks due to lack of hours and even if I get any hours I won't see it until the end of the month which doesn't help me right now Not sure what I'm going to do

I hope we all have a better 2015!
happyhats's Avatar happyhats
03:22 PM Liked: 130
#14 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 1,303
That doesn't sound right, Satori. Doesn't rent have to give you notice? I'm sorry everyone's struggling and hope it gets better. Just plugging along here. Writing grocery list for this weekend. Probably going to the children's museum tomorrow since its in the area.
Satori's Avatar Satori
03:38 PM Liked: 56
#15 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 7,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
That doesn't sound right, Satori. Doesn't rent have to give you notice? I'm sorry everyone's struggling and hope it gets better. Just plugging along here. Writing grocery list for this weekend. Probably going to the children's museum tomorrow since its in the area.

Thats what I thought but it appears there is almost no regulation in this state for renters rights. If it wasn't for the fact were getting 30 hours a week in therapy for my SN teen that we can't get in another state we would get the heck out of this state.
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu
03:56 PM Liked: 1363
#16 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 3,072
Happy New Year, all!

This year doesn't feel much different yet. All my stupid problems loom without an end in sight, and it is too depressing to update on the latest developments. All I will say is that it has turned me into a crabby b*tch. I'll come back when I am more articulate.

But hugs to all, and thanks for being around.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
04:03 PM Liked: 130
#17 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 1,168
I agree Satori - aren't they supposed to give you 30 days notice of increases in rent?

Sillysapling - I hope you are able to find a great job soon

Wolfcat - that stinks about the check being late, after they said to expect it.

Hugs to everyone else. Hoping 2015 is better than 2014 was. Trying to stay positive but it is hard.

It is starting off cold & wet here though. Thank goodness for electric blankets! One of our 2 heaters went out - it still works, but the cord looks like it was starting to melt on one side of the plugin, and it messed up the wall plugin a little but it still works. So we are down to 1 heater again. I am going to go Monday & apply for weatherization through our electric company - hoping we are able to get into the program, as they were saying on the news that weatherization is putting gas furnaces into houses right now.

Gratefuls:
~Got 2 unexpected checks in the mail this past week. Neither one very big, but they were enough to pay some bills.
~dd has been good about school this week {we started back early as we were behind}
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 (TS)
04:48 PM Liked: 2774
#18 of 133
01-01-2015 | Posts: 4,840
Starting 2015 with a return at the mall and $15 to my bank account.
Having a bit of a pantry clean out this month. FS renewals are this month so I'm not sure that Feb's will hit as expected so I need to save as much FS as possible right now.
Its super cold here (45 degrees this afternoon) and the heat has been running almost non stop. NOT looking forward to the electric bill. We are staying covered in blankets and sweaters as much as possible.

I need to order DS textbooks in the next couple weeks but have amazon credits from last semester buybacks (at least enough to cover one book).

Pork chops and something for supper here. Going to bake them to hopefully warm the place with the oven. Maybe gonna make some premade GF cookies too.

DS seems to be getting better with GF diet. No word from the labs or DR yet but regardless of what they say, I think I will keep him GF and see if the improvement stays.

Finished my lease renewal, need to do FS application tonight and mail tomorrow. Need to call SSI tomorrow and student loans tomorrow. UGH.

Hoping to be more responsible with the small amount of $$ we have this year. I know I'm being too hard on myself but....
01:05 AM Liked: 130
#19 of 133
01-03-2015 | Posts: 1,303
Just got disheartening news. Apparently I misfiled my 2013 state taxes so now I have to refile and wait to find out how much I owe in penalties and interest. Fuuuun. Its a manageable amount and they seem open to working things out, but waiting equals stress.

Also, bought a couch. Instant buyers remorse but it was a needed purchase. Hopefully I will feel better when we pick it up tomorrow.
Satori's Avatar Satori
09:58 AM Liked: 56
#20 of 133
01-03-2015 | Posts: 7,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I agree Satori - aren't they supposed to give you 30 days notice of increases in rent?
I finally found the rule, was not easy to find. Says 15 days notice but I think it may be a grey area when you live in income based housing and they give a utility allowance which was adjusted. The allowance is only $56 but in the few months I've been here I haven't had a bill under $60 and according to the electric company the winter bills are usually in the $130 range so not sure how they figure their numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Starting 2015 with a return at the mall and $15 to my bank account.
Having a bit of a pantry clean out this month. FS renewals are this month so I'm not sure that Feb's will hit as expected so I need to save as much FS as possible right now.
Its super cold here (45 degrees this afternoon) and the heat has been running almost non stop. NOT looking forward to the electric bill. We are staying covered in blankets and sweaters as much as possible.

DS seems to be getting better with GF diet. No word from the labs or DR yet but regardless of what they say, I think I will keep him GF and see if the improvement stays.

Finished my lease renewal, need to do FS application tonight and mail tomorrow. Need to call SSI tomorrow and student loans tomorrow. UGH.
45? I'd LOVE 45, its up to 18 here now with snow every where, was subzero a couple days ago. We don't even run the heat at 45 lol. I know what you mean about stashing the FS, were doing a pantry month as well so I can hit some really good sales and stock the freezer. Any interest in a blog that covers living GF on a SNAP budget? I'm really considering starting one. It will be a combo paleo/GF, I'll be paleo but my kids just GF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Just got disheartening news. Apparently I misfiled my 2013 state taxes so now I have to refile and wait to find out how much I owe in penalties and interest. Fuuuun. Its a manageable amount and they seem open to working things out, but waiting equals stress.

Also, bought a couch. Instant buyers remorse but it was a needed purchase. Hopefully I will feel better when we pick it up tomorrow.
That sucks, maybe it will be ok if you just amend? Do you at least like the new couch?
Mylie's Avatar Mylie
04:39 PM Liked: 687
#21 of 133
01-03-2015 | Posts: 1,627
Hope everyone is staying warm!!!

Things are day to day here...really hoping my work hours improve...I am finally back to work after being laid off for almost 2 weeks...it happens every year but since it's a new job I wasn't aware so next year I will be better prepared..

Been having a lot of personal family problems and tommorow marks a year since my dad died of cancer...so this weekend with the help of a snowstorm I am hiding out for the weekend..

My gratefuls...

My warm apartment..
My child...she is all I have..
Our health..
09:04 PM Liked: 130
#22 of 133
01-03-2015 | Posts: 1,303
I'm sorry Mylie. We're here for u. New couch is in, and now that's here I'm feeling better about it. And once I sat down with the tax forms it looks like a high probability we won't owe after all. So I have to deal with paperwork and refiling but not the fees and interest I was concerned about.
03:01 PM Liked: 3092
#23 of 133
01-04-2015 | Posts: 1,092
I mentioned int he 2014 thread needing new shoes- I still do. I got discount shoes twice that didn't work out. I have high arches and need special insoles and am right on the line between child and adult sizes, which makes it hard. I got one that was just too small then one that fit without insoles. Ehf, I'm not looking forward to how much it'll cost to get a proper pair.

I got in touch with a temp agency to hopefully find something to at least make ends meet until I can find something more permanent. I'm also pretty confident that I can make a temporary job become permanent if I'm given the chance- I've always impressed my bosses, I just don't know how to make that come through during the application process. :/
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
09:14 PM Liked: 2378
#24 of 133
01-04-2015 | Posts: 1,217
Things have been stressful but good here. We made it through the holidays without any thing too major happening on the family front which is good. Still working on moving to our new place. Dh comes in Wed and we will be packing up and heading out so should be moved by the end of the week.

His job decided to change their pay schedule for the start of the year though and just informed them of this when they got back to work on Christmas Eve. No paycheck coming Thurs like the original pay schedule would have had we won't be getting another check until middle of the month. I'm really not happy about the change - mostly with the way they sprung it on everyone without notice but we'll be okay. It's just gonna be really really tight trying to get moved and shuffling everything until that check comes. We were planning to wait and make our final move next month but since this happened we can't afford our note and the rent so we have to get out of this rental asap.
And just to add to the fun... we had a strange truck creeping our place a few weeks ago and they're back. They were parked outside my house the other day when I returned from my sister's. Luckily they left when I got back and didn't bother us.... yet. I'm hoping they keep away until I can get the heck out of here this week. I'm very overly done with this place. I'll just be glad when we get settled into our new place and area.

Gratefuls:
- health
- family
- new place somewhere beautiful and SAFE!
- having enough to be able to shuffle and be okay with all these changes even if it is tight
04:58 AM Liked: 3092
#25 of 133
01-05-2015 | Posts: 1,092
So, through a convoluted series of events including my mother being a stubborn child- my dad and I now each have to pay $500 to cover my mom's debts to make sure that there's no risk of mom losing the apartment I'm currently living in. *sighs* Mom should be getting the $1k back, who knows if either dad or I'll see it.

For the record- do not love renting from my mom, just kind of have to. :/
02:18 PM Liked: 130
#26 of 133
01-05-2015 | Posts: 1,303
Oh man, that sucks, sillysapling. I'd be inclined to withhold 500 in rent but I suppose that could backfire.

Hubby goes back to work tonight. Sniffle. He's off returning some boots for me that were a Christmas gift but didn't work out. We were supposed to head to aldi but that I overslept. Woops. So I'm cleaning, decluttering and enjoying a moment of quiet.
02:31 PM Liked: 130
#27 of 133
01-07-2015 | Posts: 1,303
Been kinda quiet here. How is everyone? Looking at grocery adds today BC I really need to pick up some eggs and potatoes shortly. Managed to have a lower budget month, which we needed. Been decluttering like crazy BC we hope to move in the spring.
heyxxmcfly's Avatar heyxxmcfly
07:04 PM Liked: 68
#28 of 133
01-07-2015 | Posts: 127
Holy crazy pants. New job is AWESOME! But I'm busy all the time now and I've been almost a month without a pay check since we've been setting up all the paperwork and what not. Ugh. That is not working so well for the bills that i need to pay. And i was informed that I'll be scheduled for nights. :/
justmama's Avatar justmama
04:27 AM Liked: 352
#29 of 133
01-08-2015 | Posts: 5,761
Gratefuls:
-First ans foremost: heat. It's -26 out there right now. So grateful to be warm right now.
-food. It's getting a little repetitive as i stretch our food $ but at least it's food and I've taught my kids not to waste.
-free lunch today. My boyfriend and i went to the local culinary school yesterday to discuss sustainable farming(his passion and profession) and they invited us back for lunch today cooked with local organic foods by the class we taught. I love being part of the local organic community here. Small but strong.
-my oldest daughter who not only got her sisters of the bus yesterday but fed them snack and occupied them for an hour. No one was dead when i got home.
-its tight and it's not easy but the bills got paid this month.
kindofcrunchy82's Avatar kindofcrunchy82
11:24 AM Liked: 16
#30 of 133
01-08-2015 | Posts: 109
Hi all, I havven't been on much

We are recovering from xmas. Things financially are okay. I am grateful for that but there is a lot of stress right now regarding my health.

1) my insurance for some reason could not draft from my bank and it got cancelled. I have no idea why, I had plenty to cover it. I called and tried again and am supposed to wait til tomorrow and call back if it hasn't gone through. This is a major pain because I am supposed to get a coloescopy in 2 weeks. I may have to reschedule again because of this insurance issue.

2) went to the dentist and the new dentist won't touch one of my teeth until i see an endodontist to make sure it hasn't died etc. In addition he quoted me 1500$ for the dental work I need and that is with the insurance. That was a month ago. I havent even looked at the paperwork for the endodontist yet cause i don't want to find out if it isn't covered. So I am just waiting for a while since the holidays distracted me.

3) I have been having chronic pain in my left breast/shoulder and it appears swollen lymph nodes. I planned to talk to the dr in 2 week about this but I may have to wait. The pain has been constant for about 6 weeks.

I feel like my health is falling apart and I am stuck in limbo until insurance gets straightened out. What I do know is even the new insurance doesn't cover things like an mri until have the deductible. I know that after getting the run around about my leg tingles and pains back in the spring i likely will be dismissed for years about any issues or pains I have because of my age. I know something is 'off' with my health and I don't have any clue what. I just don't feel right.

Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances