• 2 Post By mariamadly
  • 2 Post By EmsMom
  • 1 Post By mariamadly

#1 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
stuff to take from parents house before an estate sale

my mother is moving to a nursing home and we need to clean out the rather quickly. There are a lot of antiques we are going to sell probably and a few family things I might take but I am wondering if there are any suggestions as to offbeat things I can look for. It actually occured to me, for example, that if the dog leash is still hanging (dog died recently), I could use that as a new one is kind of pricey. No one else in my family will want that kind of used stuff but I am a low income single mom and I figure extra sheets/towels will always be useful. Anything I should look for that I might forget? Ooh, i think she had a good vacuum.

Of course, I don't really want to come off seeming greedy.... but honestly some of the stuff might just get tossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
we've cleaned out some grandparents homes in the past. Some things that come to mind would be:

vaccuum/dust buster
dishes/glasses (do you have a complete set? would you be able to donate a mis-matched set and "upgrade"?
any small appliances (can opener, etc.)
one or two good knives
good scissors; left over office supplies; storage bins
one or two good pots/pans
any stockpiled OTC meds, cleaning products, paper goods etc.
pictures (both family and those used for decorating)
curtains? throw pillows? things no one will probably buy if it doesn't match their decor
table cloth
#3 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the list chiefmir put together for you. My grandmother had a better than average iron and ironing board and a really nice recliner. After she passed, those were the only things I really wanted.

These transitions can be tough. Give yourself and the rest of your family plenty of grace as you talk about what needs to be saved and what needs to go. By the way, if it would be helpful for you, Focus on the Family has a ton of articles on their website about this kind of thing. They have helped me and my family over the years in many different scenarios

StillInTheProcess1644
#4 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
stuff to take from parents house before an estate sale

The things I have been really grateful for from my grandmother's homes have been sewing things - old patterns, a long ruler, a packet of pattern tracing paper, crochet hooks - and some kitchen things - baking trays/tins, hand beater, tablespoons, pudding basins. The quality is so much better and I love the history and I know they would both love to know that I am using their things.

Oh, also my mum has a drawer with some if my grandmother's old jewellery (not the precious/sentimental pieces) which my daughters love to play with. Also hats, scarves etc make great dress-up pieces if your kids are still young enough for that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies, I do appreciate it. When my Dad passed I just couldn't think clearly and there are things of his I would have liked to have had for my kids. In this case, though, I know there is practical stuff in there that would actually help me and my kids a lot like a microwave or a vacuum. Those were great lists. I knew I came to the right place
#6 of 8 Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Tools, flashlights, batteries, extension cords, power strips.
leafylady and applejuice like this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Update

I ended up finding a lot of small treasures in my parent's house. I have dragged home FIVE large rubbermaid containers full of yarn sets - usually 8 or more skeins of each kind, including some very nice alpaca and wool yard. Plus a huge collection of knitting and crocheting supplies.
It is a huge amount of yarn. I knew my mother knitted before her arthritis got so bad but she only made stuff for herself so I never realized how good she was at it. I actually took several gorgeous sweaters she made (and kind of just in the nick of time before my sister starting cleaning stuff out). I took mostly just practical things - wooden hangers, a couple of much needed lamps, some throw pillows. I also found a great multi-tool, new in a box, blankets, dog leash, pots, and some decorative stuff to spruce up my house that I could never have spent money on.

I also found my dad's tree id book, complete with leaf specimens in the pages. I love that book because it is so my Dad.

It was hard to not feel guilty taking my mom's stuff, but I am glad I did it before it all got hauled off. Thanks for the advice mamas!
applejuice and artemis33 like this.
#8 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Sounds great! Hope your mom is settling in all right; wishing your family well.
applejuice likes this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page