2016 Low Income Support Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

92Likes

#31 of 430 Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Happy 2016!

Our low income journey is still in full force. Dh and i got in an accident. My paid for car is likely totaled which is awful because it was reliable and only had 75k miles. It is only worth 6k which means finding a replacement that is reliable will be difficult without getting a loan. The shop through insurance is to look at it monday. It has been a whirlwind.

Trying to get dsd's medcaid. My case hsd been under for 4 months, i think i will be losing my medicaid since i married dh but it is taking forever to find out. And dsd's are losing their insurance through their mom this month. I think they at least will qualify thank goodness. I ran numbers and i should get aca subsidy if medicaid denies me.

Oh the joys of adulthood!

I am remaining positive for the time being at least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 430 Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Hugs to everyone struggling. Things are slowly getting better here. We switched health ins, premiums are now 1/4 what they were. And taxes will help in the next month or so, paying down the crushing debt we have eccrued this year and paying agead on few bills. Until then, plugging along.
#33 of 430 Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Just plugging along and came to update...doing okay..trying to pick up as much overtime to help...so I worked yesterday...had to pay for a babysitter and I hate spending extra time away from my little one but it can't be helped...we are doing pretty well with freezer/pantry eating this last week..we might even get through this week to with minimal spending...
Took my little to the Ped Friday and was so pleased with her height and weight gain...with her allergies.its always been a concern and struggle...
Lots of snow and icy roads...winter has arrived in our area ūüėä

#34 of 430 Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Starting to get tax docs here. Hoping to file 2/1/16. Not expecting a huge refund but even a few dollars would help things.

Had a super lazy day on the sofa, watching movies and crocheting. yawn

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#35 of 430 Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 AM

Getting frugal in the kitchen. Making hubby a breakfast smoothie with random bits from the house. Also pulled a few things together for a soup. Froze extra rice I made this weekend.
#36 of 430 Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We got the keys to our new place today . We started moving some stuff today. Moving all big stuff tomorrow. The internet out where we are moving is crazy cause its rural.. the one place want over $100 just to start up internet service so we will have no internet for a month or more Ugh

Kami~34
DH~37,Alex~13,
Ryker~10
Harlan~4

4/05,7/05,11/10
#37 of 430 Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofcrunchy82 View Post
Happy 2016!

Our low income journey is still in full force. Dh and i got in an accident. My paid for car is likely totaled which is awful because it was reliable and only had 75k miles. It is only worth 6k which means finding a replacement that is reliable will be difficult without getting a loan. The shop through insurance is to look at it monday. It has been a whirlwind.

Trying to get dsd's medcaid. My case hsd been under for 4 months, i think i will be losing my medicaid since i married dh but it is taking forever to find out. And dsd's are losing their insurance through their mom this month. I think they at least will qualify thank goodness. I ran numbers and i should get aca subsidy if medicaid denies me.

Oh the joys of adulthood!

I am remaining positive for the time being at least!
I am in fear of us being in a crash messing up the car beyond repair. Ours is also paid for and in relatively good condition for its age but that would not be reflected in any payment for an insurance company. Most likely we would have to buy a car for half of what we paid for this one and in much worse condition. At the moment we cannot afford to take a car loan so we would have to buy what we could afford.
#38 of 430 Old 01-13-2016, 06:39 AM

Well got some good news, the car isnt totaled. Our deductible is 500 and dh was able to order the parts at his shop and got 450 discount so as long as the labor isnt estimated wrong we may actually get a couple hundred back. The claims check is already in the mail so should arrive in a couple days.

We are debating buying a house later rather than now. Tbh we really want to move but we are not sure it is the best decision. But this rental is practically falling apart...dishwasher has been broken 3.5 weeks now. Maintenance looked at it 13 days ago and said it needs replacing but haven't heard a word from the property manager. That is part of our motivation to move but we still dont have a downpayment fully funded. Income tax will help but we would need a few thousand more at least.
elliha and ismewilde like this.
#39 of 430 Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM

so got the letters about medicaid in the mail, dsd's will be getting medicaid. I will be removed. I thought i could get the subisdy on the marketplace but since dh gets medical through work appartently there is a glitch in the system. It says you need to have insurance through work that is greater than 9.66 of the income and that is solely based and on the dh and not a family or spouse plan. so i cannot qualify eventhough the highest deductible premium of 621 per month is 13% of our income. Grhh what on earth?So I am back to searching for insurance and they look awfully expensive.

went shopping today. Got me a new bra that i desperately needed for 4$ at walmart. Also went thrifting and got me 2 pairs of jeans, older dsd 4 pairs of jeans and dd a pair of fleece pants. DD hates jeans so they are just sitting in drawers, tbh they are all a tad small but it is already january and she is happy wearing leggings of active type pants most the time hoping to just coast until spring on those. Dsd has outgrown all her jeans, i got her 3 pairs of size 8 and a 7. all her old ones were 6x/7, and unfortunately dd needs a 5 or 6 so i can't just move them down right away but if dd grows like her older brother she may need 6x/7 by september! I only spent 30$ on all the jeans/pants. I was down to 3 pairs of jeans one that was getting pretty worn, one nice pair and one that the zipper always falls down. I am glad now i got some jeans to wear during the week so i don't have to wear my nice jeans all the time! I like to save those for special occasions but they have been getting worn pretty fast since i lost 2 pairs of my jeans since fall began, getting rips in the back pockets due to my large rear, its wear they always rip out...

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!

Last edited by kindofcrunchy82; 01-14-2016 at 02:49 PM.
#40 of 430 Old 01-15-2016, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Trying to figure out where I can get cheap but nice looking maternity pants. Last time I was pregnant I used mainly skirts and dresses but this time I really want to wear some pants too. The trift stores here often don't have that much maternity clothes so it is very hard to know if I can find anything at all that way. I have looked at some places online but nothing has made me happy so far. I am also large/xl and these maternity clothes seem to be in much worse condition if you do find them second hand. I don't why that is but to find nicelooking ones you need to be xs or small.
#41 of 430 Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Gratefuls- Mortgage paid. Food in fridge. Looking into joining our local y, filling out forms for scholarship info now. We will get to fill out our tax info this next week.

Nothing too exciting. Kids are skipping class this week, not only to save a few dollars but it will be blisteringly cold and theres a high chance for snow/rain. Promised a craft project at home and time at the y (we have a temp pass) instead.
#42 of 430 Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Gratefuls:

-2 very good friends keeping me on track and reminding me of the importance of taking my meds, no contact, and self-care.

-a full freezer and pantry right now from a church donation box.

-a few extra bucks to treat myself to an adult coloring book to begin my journaling "homework."

-the friend who did some yoga with me Saturday morning and let me cry on him.

-a lovely hiking date Wednesday. 2 1/2 hours of great conversation and nature.

-I'm mostly caught up on laundry.

-completely caught up on bills.

-applied for a new full-time job that fell into my lap. A friend is leaving her position and recommended me to her boss. I don't have a ton of qualifications that would otherwise make me perfect for it but I'm hoping my work ethic, people skills, and the recommendation make it come through for me.

-my kids are getting along and playing apples to apples right now while I enjoy my second cup of coffee and spend some time on the computer.
sillysapling and elliha like this.

#43 of 430 Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Getting down to the mother hubbard again. Made a delicious soup last night.. bacon we got on sale for a dollar, potatoes, corn from summer, and corn stock. Have a french toast casserole sitting in fridge for tonight and can shop a few more things this thurs/fri.
ismewilde likes this.
#44 of 430 Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Got food ready for this next week yesterday- spaghetti and sauce, leftover chili, roast...

However, the electricity was about to be disconnected and after trying all sorts of ways to get financial assistance, asking parents for help, and coming to my wits end, I paid out of my negative balance account. It doesn't make any sense, but may hold off the disconnect for a few days.

Now I get to battle another cold coming on and hope my car keeps running.

Trying my best not to be too stressed for the remainder of this pregnancy, but some days it is just difficult. Hoping to be past this financial strain within the next month! The worst part for me is not knowing whether we are going to be able to have this baby at home or at the hospital. It may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it is to me.

"The soul is its own source of unfolding" - Heraclitus

#45 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Omg I haven't posted here in so long! Nothing has really changed here except that we had a bat infestation and will be moving apartment soon so I had to come up with a deposit. Just going through school, I have three semesters left!
My food stamps fell below $300 recently and I am having a lot of trouble feeding my 3 growing boys and myself so I definitely need to find some really cheap ideas for food. And I probably need to find a way to lock the fridge because the kids will not freaking stay out of it.
#46 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Ups and downs...my work situation just changed, and now I'm in the low income bracket again. Which in some weird ways is a relief because now I qualify for things I didn't before. But it's also going to be tighter, time and money wise. Thank goodness my kids are graceful about our situation.

I didn't realize how good I had it for awhile until it changed. I am very appreciative for what I had when it was easier.

Three of us went to the eye doctor today (overdue for checkups), and the best possible news: DD2 still doesn't need glasses, DD1's haven't changed except they are too small, but she qualifies for a new free pair anyway with our insurance, and mine also haven't changed (after way way way too many years of not getting checked). Whew! Mine will be pricey to replace, so I'm so glad they will last awhile longer.

Next payday is the 1st. All I have is $25 and a $5 coupon for groceries between now and then, but we can get by with just buying eggs, bread, and garlic. Pantry challenge; we're doing pretty well.

Now, hoping for no emergencies while I work to pay down my CCs and build savings. Which will be like trying to build a house with toothpicks, but whatever.

I try to remind myself that in 7 years all my kids will be grown and the bills for extracurriculars will disappear and the food budget will feel ample again.
Ragana likes this.

- homeschooling mom to four teens
#47 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 PM

Sorry, should have introduced myself, though I'm an old-timer from way back when. I am a single mom with four kids (ages below in my sig), and I live in the northeastern U.S.

#48 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
A few months ago, at work, I worked with a professional organizer. She was impressed with me and offered to mentor me and set myself up to do this as well. I met up with her last Thursday and she gave me pretty much all the tools I need to get started and I can get in touch with her if I ever need help.

I just
Need
To
..........do it.

I ordered business cards. I got a cheap tracphone because I wanted a separate phone (partner agreed). I've gotten permission from a local queer families group to advertise and I'm offering a discount to them because I want to.

Now I just need to do it.

*curls up in fetal position*

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#49 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
My food stamps fell below $300 recently and I am having a lot of trouble feeding my 3 growing boys and myself so I definitely need to find some really cheap ideas for food. And I probably need to find a way to lock the fridge because the kids will not freaking stay out of it.
I love chili because it is always filling and you can use more beans and less meat.

Tostadas - crisp corn tortilla (or fry your own up in some hot oil), with any of the following toppings: mashed black beans, rice, ground beef, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guac, tomatoes, onions. (I usually only use the beans, rice, salsa, cheese and maybe sour cream, but each family's tastes will vary.)

Loaded Baked Potato Soup - This soup is made with heavy cream, which can be expensive, but the cream makes it very filling, so it goes a long ways. You can also substitute with half-n-half, which cuts the costs down a bit.

Yorkshire puddings and gravy - Yorkshire puddings are pretty easy. They are an egg-heavy bread, so they are very filling but inexpensive. I use a butter or bacon grease and flour roux with homemade stock/broth or even bullion cube broth to make gravy. Add a veggie on the side and it's a nice, surprisingly filling meal. (Hint: make extra yorkshires, my kids eat nearly a dozon EACH)

Supreme mashed potatoes - This is a loaded baked potato plus the sides, mashed. I use any of the following: cut up turkey or chicken, crumbled bacon, butter, milk, sour cream, greek yogurt, green beans, corn, broccoli, peas, shredded cheeses. (I use a lot of leftovers for this, so get creative.) Mash the taters, add everything else, mix and pour gravy on top.

Carnivore Salad - We made this up to get rid of some lettuce and a bunch of leftovers, but everyone loved it. Steak strips, chicken strips, bacon crumbles, at least two different cheeses, bell pepper strips, shredded or sliced or baby carrots, diced celery, sliced or wedged or cherry or grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds, croutons, and dressing. A little goes a very long way with this.

Spaghetti Bake - Pasta of your choice, meat(s) of your choice, spaghetti sauce. Mix and put into a casserole dish. Top with cheese of your choice (go light on the cheese for savings). Bake until melted and turning golden. Throw some extra (leftover) veggies in the sauce, too. I often use mixed leftover pastas, and leftover chicken or turkey, diced.

Stuffing Casserole - Make homemade stuffing with ends and pieces of bread, diced, a little turkey or chicken stock/broth, butter, diced celery, and italian herb seasonings. Add diced turkey or chicken and green beans or corn, mix and bake in a casserole dish, covered, until heated through. (Hint: Go easy on the stock/broth - you only need a little to moisten everything through, the butter does the heavy lifting with moisture and flavor.) You can also sprinkle lightly with cheese, to taste.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#50 of 430 Old 01-20-2016, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
A few months ago, at work, I worked with a professional organizer. She was impressed with me and offered to mentor me and set myself up to do this as well. I met up with her last Thursday and she gave me pretty much all the tools I need to get started and I can get in touch with her if I ever need help.

I just
Need
To
..........do it.

I ordered business cards. I got a cheap tracphone because I wanted a separate phone (partner agreed). I've gotten permission from a local queer families group to advertise and I'm offering a discount to them because I want to.

Now I just need to do it.

*curls up in fetal position*
Do it!
sillysapling likes this.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#51 of 430 Old 01-21-2016, 05:10 AM

Thanks Wolfcat! I'm working on it it's just so nervewracking! D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismewilde View Post
Trying my best not to be too stressed for the remainder of this pregnancy, but some days it is just difficult. Hoping to be past this financial strain within the next month! The worst part for me is not knowing whether we are going to be able to have this baby at home or at the hospital. It may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it is to me.
No, I understand completely. The only homebirth midwife in the area is so expensive. If insurance covers everything, it'll STILL cost me $2500! DP isn't okay with unassisted (I understand), either, but I REALLY don't want a hospital birth!

4/13
1/15
#52 of 430 Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I love chili because it is always filling and you can use more beans and less meat.

Tostadas - crisp corn tortilla (or fry your own up in some hot oil), with any of the following toppings: mashed black beans, rice, ground beef, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guac, tomatoes, onions. (I usually only use the beans, rice, salsa, cheese and maybe sour cream, but each family's tastes will vary.)

Loaded Baked Potato Soup - This soup is made with heavy cream, which can be expensive, but the cream makes it very filling, so it goes a long ways. You can also substitute with half-n-half, which cuts the costs down a bit.

Yorkshire puddings and gravy - Yorkshire puddings are pretty easy. They are an egg-heavy bread, so they are very filling but inexpensive. I use a butter or bacon grease and flour roux with homemade stock/broth or even bullion cube broth to make gravy. Add a veggie on the side and it's a nice, surprisingly filling meal. (Hint: make extra yorkshires, my kids eat nearly a dozon EACH)

Supreme mashed potatoes - This is a loaded baked potato plus the sides, mashed. I use any of the following: cut up turkey or chicken, crumbled bacon, butter, milk, sour cream, greek yogurt, green beans, corn, broccoli, peas, shredded cheeses. (I use a lot of leftovers for this, so get creative.) Mash the taters, add everything else, mix and pour gravy on top.

Carnivore Salad - We made this up to get rid of some lettuce and a bunch of leftovers, but everyone loved it. Steak strips, chicken strips, bacon crumbles, at least two different cheeses, bell pepper strips, shredded or sliced or baby carrots, diced celery, sliced or wedged or cherry or grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds, croutons, and dressing. A little goes a very long way with this.

Spaghetti Bake - Pasta of your choice, meat(s) of your choice, spaghetti sauce. Mix and put into a casserole dish. Top with cheese of your choice (go light on the cheese for savings). Bake until melted and turning golden. Throw some extra (leftover) veggies in the sauce, too. I often use mixed leftover pastas, and leftover chicken or turkey, diced.

Stuffing Casserole - Make homemade stuffing with ends and pieces of bread, diced, a little turkey or chicken stock/broth, butter, diced celery, and italian herb seasonings. Add diced turkey or chicken and green beans or corn, mix and bake in a casserole dish, covered, until heated through. (Hint: Go easy on the stock/broth - you only need a little to moisten everything through, the butter does the heavy lifting with moisture and flavor.) You can also sprinkle lightly with cheese, to taste.
Awesome ideas, thank you!

Single, student mama 
 to 3 boys 
 and loving every minute of it.

Any time scientists disagree, it's because we have insufficient data. Then we can agree on what kind of data to get; we get the data; and the data solves the problem. Either I'm right, or you're right, or we're both wrong. And we move on. That kind of conflict resolution does not exist in politics or religion.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
#53 of 430 Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM

oh a professional organizer that totally sounds like a good side job

I have gone off the deep end over here ladies. I crunched numbers yet again and me working outside the home would just not help us. It sucks but it is true. Because dsd's lost health coverage from their mom we cannot afford for higher income because they get medicaid. Getting them on dh's plan would cost at minimum 400 extra per month. That is not including childcare or paying for extended k next year for the littles. We would also lose our earned income credit. So essentially i have to stay home because i will not be able to make more than 10$ per hour starting out. And the secret is i wouldn't mind working outside the home. I stay home because of finances. I guess i have to get creative and start finding ways maybe to make some small income here. We really want to get ahead financially but it is high near impossible without more support, and my ex is maxed, and dh's ex is unemployed right now.

So i began our taxes and yay it looks like we will be getting more than expected. I was guessing 2500 and it looks like it will be closing to 4500. I also found out we can get Earned income for my ds my ex claims since he makes too much for it and ds lives with us more. I haven't been able to claim earned income but since dh and i are married now we can. So that extra bit will add about 900 to our taxes. I didn't realize you could do that (not claim as dependent but claim a child for earned income so that is quite the relief) Dh's ex is claiming one of their kids and likely will get the earned income on her but getting it for 3/4 of the kids is great news)

We had a financial hiccup, we tried to get a house paid for the inspection but we backed out due to foundation issues so this extra taxes will help a ton. We will be okay since we had that money saved for the house anyway but still a bummer we lost 500 on a house we aren't going to end up getting. Hoping something comes a long in the next 4 months before our lease is up because we do not want to renew it at all.

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
#54 of 430 Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 AM

kindof, I get EIC for 3 kids even though I only deduct 2 (but have 4). XH and I split the deductions (stupid court person recommended this -- bad idea, but whatever -- the IRS would let me have them all, but now I have to give half to XH). But I do get the full EIC -- except it gets "offset" which means it goes to IRS debt that XH caused us. (No, I didn't file innocent spouse -- didn't want to have to interact with him further -- but now I wish I had done it.) GRR. Every year I have to try to talk myself out of resenting not getting that check. At least the IRS bill is going down, and in time I'll be able to take XH to court to reimburse me for his half. Crazy convoluted divorceness.

Anyway...

I am working toward getting a mortgage for the house we live in (which I have the option to buy at any time, guaranteed, which is awesome). But I have to wait until at least Sept because you have to wait 3 years after bankruptcy. There is a great organization here that helps you get all your ducks in a row for these things, and they said I need three open/active lines of credit with a balance and payment history. I had two. So I just applied for a third credit card (not that I want credit cards at ALL, but it's part of the game you have to play). Surprise -- I qualified for $1000. So that will be my emergency backup plan, because I currently have no savings, and I'm also going to "treat" myself to a dental cleaning because I am way overdue.

Sad but true. I really don't want to have or use credit cards, but now I am all fluffy excited because I got another one. Oh, well.

I expect my housing payment will go down about $300/mo once I get the mortgage and jump through some other hoops -- it will take a couple of years to get to that lower payment, but wow, what a difference that will make in my budget. It's worth waiting for. I wish it would hurry up and happen though.

#55 of 430 Old 01-23-2016, 06:12 AM

I'm feeling really low right now.

I've lost 3 or 4 jobs this year, and no one will tell me why. I get rave reviews, and then suddenly I don't have a job.

The first time I mentioned in the 2015 thread- I was getting rave reviews, then got told I was fired over something about my availability that wasn't true.

I already had another job lined up. It was meant to be temporary, but everyone loved me and told me they wanted to keep me on. It was a very cliquey thing and everyone was friends and it was a little more party atmosphere than I liked, but whatever. The way they did scheduling started really not working for me, and then everyone started giving me the cold shoulder. Finally they told me they didn't have any more hours to give me. I know it wasn't true, but I brushed it off.

The last 2 are a mixed up muddle. I got hired to work on a farm- again, rave reviews, constantly told they were impressed with my initiative and work and blah blah blah. It wasn't a great fit for me but I could make it work. It was a very new farm and there were a lot of hiccups and the owner clearly was in worse financial states than she expected, so she basically fobbed me off on a nearby farmer. Which wouldn't have been so horrible, but someone she hired after me she was still giving the full hours she'd promised and a stable schedule and everything I'd been asking her for from day one.

Then the last farm worked me like a dog, had me working 50+ hours a week. Again, rave reviews. Told me she was really impressed with my work ethic, said she wanted to make me a personal assistant. Over the holidays she cut my hours, but didn't make it seem like a permanent thing. On the last day I worked for her, she was still talking about the future and training me and blah blah blah. That was two weeks ago. She canceled the last day I was supposed to work for her, keeps giving me excuses, etc. I'm pretty much assuming that I'm not working for her anymore and trying to find something else- because even if she wants me as an employee, I can't take the risk of being treated like this again. Losing a month's income without any warning or explanation is awful.

Now I'm just really freaked out. Because I've gotten 4 jobs in a row, no one has ever said a bad word against me, and I've still lost all of them. I know how to find jobs- but how the heck do I find one to keep?!

I don't think I'm perfect. I'm totally open to the idea that I'm doing something wrong. But no one will TELL me. I'll ask for feedback and if anyone has any changes, I adjust and make sure that I'm doing better now. I don't know how to fix problems when I don't know what they are. I work hard, I take initiative, I've bent myself into pretzels to change my availability for them and nothing I've done has worked out.

I just don't know what's going on.

I'm still going to try to make the home organizer thing work, and I'm still working part time at an orchard. But I hate job searching. It feels like it never ends. _-_

4/13
1/15
#56 of 430 Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
i did the taxes last night, getting a bit of a refund (enough to cover a months rent). So im happy. one less thing to think about, and i can file away that paperwork.
Ive been concentrating on 'self care' lately. Struggling with some mental health issues and my therapist and i and taking a few steps back and doing some self care work. In my case that means lots of resting, avoiding certain poeple, and generally trying to be calm.
I have a couple low key projects going on. Im making a blanket for the sofa and im working on a mindless scarf pattern. No rush, no hurry.
I thought about an early spring short vacation but Im not really in the mood. Maybe a couple local field trips- or not. I really need to stay calm and try to get the anxiety and panic under control.

But the taxes are done whoohooo!

Mom to J and never ending 

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#57 of 430 Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
2016 Low Income Support Thread

All this talk of tax refunds makes me miss having a regular job a little... Being self employed has its perks, but there are definitely some down sides too... We always owe taxes, no paid holidays, in fact you are losing income if you take time off, no health or dental benefits...

We are right at that income level where if we make even a little more it bumps us into the next tax bracket where we lose all our Gov't subsidies on medical premiums, student loans, and we have to pay more in taxes and Gov't pension plans, we lose our child tax benefit and GST refunds (I'm in Canada) and we end up having thousands of dollars less in the end... It's a real conundrum because we will never be able to get further ahead than we are now... Making more money costs us thousands of dollars in lost subsidies, and we don't have the income potential to get into an even higher income level where we'd be ahead of the game... Pretty nuts...

The way we are working around this is we have one car that we own outright, a very small house with a small mortgage, we rarely take holidays and when we do they are inexpensive weekends and local... We eat out very little and buy used furniture and clothes when possible...

My biggest challenge is debt. Last year we transferred $18,000 on two high interest credit cards to a low interest line of credit and a consolidated loan and have been making regular payments to have them paid off within 4-5 years... But now less than a year later we've racked up another $6000 in cc debt, so obviously we aren't managing as well as I had anticipated we would...

I guess I'm here on this thread to find some support in getting a handle on our finances... There always seems to be some big expense that comes up just as I'm making headway... Last year my best friend was getting married so we took our first long holiday in 8 years to drive to the next province over. We packed food for the road, stayed with family, but it still cost a couple thousand dollars we didn't have...

Then we had to buy new tires, my son had half a dozen cavities that needed fillings, I'm now in the middle of getting a very expensive root canal and crown on a cracked molar, there was a mild earthquake recently so we spent money on putting together emergency kits (long overdue)... My health hasn't been great so I got a juicer for Christmas and spent $200 on produce for a cleanse... Regret doing that because it wasn't something I could really afford and didn't help much at all... It feels endless sometimes and I keep making poor choices, all with good intentions, but poor all the same... I want 2016 to be about getting a handle on impulsive spending...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by happyhermit; 01-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.
#58 of 430 Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 PM

At that point, I'd suggest icing the credit cards* and going with the cash envelope system. David ramsay has a guide to getting on track that a lot of people have found really helpful. It sounds like you're hemorrhaging money and you really need to find out whats going on.

*some people literally freeze their credit cards in a chunk of ice so they can use them in emergency but it prevents impulse buys.
happyhermit likes this.
#59 of 430 Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
It sounds like you're hemorrhaging money and you really need to find out whats going on.

*some people literally freeze their credit cards in a chunk of ice so they can use them in emergency but it prevents impulse buys.
That's exactly what it feels like... hemorrhaging money... On one hand we are doing "well" in that we own a home (or at least we're making mortgage payments on a home and not wasting it on rent), we own a car, we own a great little business, we always pay our monthly bills on time... but then there's this CC debt hanging over my head. We can never seem to get that paid off or any savings put away. I always prioritize paying off debt over savings because it doesn't make sense to me to have money in a savings account when interest on debt is accumulating faster than interest is being made on savings. But then we don't have savings, so we end up using the CC again when we have something we need... like dental or car repairs/maintenance... My dad says this is the north american way, but geez! I hate debt so much...

I've locked the cc's in the safe before and could do that again (my version of freezing it as it's a nuisance to get them out and takes time to do). I guess in 4-5 years when the LOC and consolidated loans are paid off that will free up that money (about $400/month) for savings, unless we keep racking up debt at this rate, because then we'll just be having to pay it all off again... It's a vicious cycle! In the meantime how do I deal with the inevitable life expenses that come up and have to be dealt with in a timely manner? It's not as simple as just making more money as I've explained... For instance... In order to save money now should I just skip getting the crown on my tooth and opt for the much cheaper permanent filling, and hope I don't break it further?
#60 of 430 Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Welcome back mamabear and worthy.

*hugs* to everyone struggling. Keep your chin up. We'll make it through, because there's no other option.

Gratefuls:

-I did something today that was extremely scary and should have been done a month ago. But I did it with the moral support of a close friend and I'm so glad I did. I don't know that it will make a massive difference in the situation but it's a start. And the immediate support for this action has been overwhelming.

-coffee. When I don't sleep and don't eat, coffee keeps me upright. It's my lifeline.

-I was having a bad food day today and I was able to get support and manage dinner. Small victories.

-yoga. It's keeping me sane lately. I have been able to step onto my mat and leave my troubles outside it's borders even just for a few minutes and that's huge.

-Bills are paid, food is still in the freezer and pantry. I don't know how it's happening but somehow little things are coming through for us when we need them most and we are surviving. The universe is providing somehow.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page