Mothering Forum banner

2016 Low Income Support Thread

46K views 429 replies 35 participants last post by  zebra15 
#1 ·
Support Only

Starting a couple days early

#93 ·
Gratefuls

I live in a country where maternal care is free and it is looking like I might need to have some extra checkups. (Looking forward to the ultrasound next week so that I can feel more at ease about this pregnancy)

That I might get the opportunity to talk to a phychologist this pregnancy to help me with all my negative thoughts due to the pregnancy (and all the other stressful things in life)

Harder things

Knowing we depend on me working. I am not doing well when it comes to stress and I am afraid about the effects on me and the fetus.

This is a lean month. I think we will make it but still worse than I would like.

#94 · (Edited)
I went grocery shopping on Saturday. Me with my frugal list based on what we couldn't do without this month, and stops at three different stores to get the best prices. And I still spent more than I wanted to. I did tell the kids they could each choose one treat (one for the month) because I don't want them to grow up feeling deprived. I figure one treat a month will do, and I can afford that.

I did bills yesterday and it's do-able, but only if I stretch a bunch of things to send the checks on the last of the month so they get paid out of March's income. I had hoped to make a dent in my credit card balances this month. It's more like a ding than a dent; hardly anything extra paid off. I know we're not desperate -- nothing's being shut off, nobody is threatening me for nonpayment -- but it's stressful always being on the edge and always being borderline late with payments for things.

We have an anonymous angel in our life who arranges for a $60 gift card to be left at the customer service counter at our main grocery store about once a month. It doesn't come like clockwork, so I don't count on it, but it is generally monthly. I believe she does this for about 5 families. I know who it is but she wants to pretend I don't. Which is awkward, because I'd like to thank her but I can't without a) reminding her that I know, or b) pretending I don't, which would be weird.

But anyway, I think it is awesome that she does this, and someday maybe I will have the means to do it for others. I don't know why she chose $60 as the number, but it's always a big help near the end of the month when I've run out of grocery money and we need eggs or bread or something. I feel very lucky to have that bit of help!!! And I hope it comes this month, because it will make the difference.

#95 ·
We did an emergency "We're sick and way too low on a few essentials" shop and it came out to less than we expected, which is good.

We need to do a massive BJs shop, though. We had a lot of things run out this month that we didn't get last month. So this month is going to probably be way more expensive than we'd like. :( Hopefully we can make the big BJs shop be pretty much all we need to buy this whole month.

I got two cookbooks out from the library- slow cooker and casserole style things.

#96 ·
Finally got done with my tax return. We are getting a bit over $3k back, which will help a lot. I need a new computer (my laptop is going on 5 years and I use it for EVERYTHING). Hubby wants a gun for hunting, which would be great for bringing in more, healthier meat. So that's what we are planning for that. The rest is going into a large payment of student loans and an EF.

I'm having a prideful moment - I had to claim income for book royalties. *struts* Yeah, it was less than $100, but it was there, so Ha! lol

I just did some bills and we are good to go on paying taxes on the house at the end of the month. I set up an auto transfer from my checking account to a designated savings account just for the taxes. We built up enough money in the savings to cover taxes for the half-year payment.

I found a place that has bulk pasta and beans (and some other things) for pretty cheap, so I think we are going to try to start ordering from there. THIS is the site, if anyone is interested in checking it out. I'd like to get most of our basics in bulk, which is more expensive on the front end, but saves money over all. That's the plan, at least.

DH is currently grinding up meat for us. We get meat pretty cheap, but we have to do a lot of processing. Some of the meat, we sell to a local shop that does lunches. They get a deal on cheaper-than-store meat, and we get some of our expense back from buying bulk.

Reactions: happyhermit
#104 ·
Finally got done with my tax return. We are getting a bit over $3k back, which will help a lot. I need a new computer (my laptop is going on 5 years and I use it for EVERYTHING). Hubby wants a gun for hunting, which would be great for bringing in more, healthier meat. So that's what we are planning for that. The rest is going into a large payment of student loans and an EF.

we need a new laptop too, but we are resisting at the moment. Mine is about 4.5 years old and I have had to fix it myself a couple times, wiped the hardware and did a complete reinstall. That was a couple years ago. I am surprised it is doing as well as it is, but we desperately want to buy a home this year so all big purchases need to be put off for now.

#97 ·
I made a deal with my family... we upped our grocery budget to $300/week. If we have $50 left over after our weekly shop, we can eat out that weekend... if not, we don't. So far it's worked out to every other week (we started this a couple weeks ago). I'm happy cause we're staying on budget while stocking up on what we need, and they're happy cause they get a treat now and then.

#98 ·
@Wolfcat : Where are you able to get meat like that? I've heard of people doing it but haven't seen a way to in this area, despite there being loads of farms. The CSAs actually aren't worth it (I did the math- one jerky one actually charges MORE if you do the CSA than if you just went to their farm each week to buy it individually- wtf?)

#109 ·
@Wolfcat : Where are you able to get meat like that? I've heard of people doing it but haven't seen a way to in this area, despite there being loads of farms.
DH works at Tyson's. Each month we have an option to get meat that is less than a week old at cost, but we have to buy it by the case (~60lbs) and they don't offer employees ground at cost. We get it at ~$1.50 - 2.50/lb for less expensive cuts, though rib roll (prime rib) is usually around $3+/lbs.

#100 ·
Zebra, *hugs*

So I'm a nanny right now. I've only been with this family since the first week in December. The baby is now 6 months old. Mom is unexpectedly pregnant again so they are letting me go in two weeks because they won't be able to afford me. :( So now I'm back to job hunting if this job I interviewed for doesn't pan out. And I'll be unemployed in two weeks. I mean, it's not their fault. They didn't plan on another pregnancy. It's just frustrating that I'm back to job hunting less than 3 months later. But they'll give me a great reference if I end up having to work another nanny job I'm sure. They have been pleased with our arrangement and the care I'm giving their daughter.

Gratefuls:

-my teen did the dishes while I was at work without being asked to so that I walked in to NO dishes in the sink. It was a great feeling.

-I have a yoga class scheduled for tomorrow and I'm REALLY hoping the kids are in school and class isn't cancelled. I've had to cancel the last two classes I've registered for last week because of snow days and I'm done with the snow! It's going to snow again tomorrow but it's not starting until noon so I think I'll be ok.

-bills are paid and caught up so there won't be any shut offs next month just in case I'm unemployed for a little while.

-went grocery shopping last week so we'll have food for a while.

#101 ·
{{{{{Zebra}}}}} I feel that. I'm not "out" but it's all spent or allocated, the checks are written and stamped (in piles -- mail on this date, mail on that date), and there's nothing left but scrapings to cover gas money. At this point I panic a bit about what if something happens that I can't put off... I hope your month is smooth and has no surprises, and that you get some unexpected money from some corner or other. Good luck.

#102 ·
Mommas, what do you do when you just can't do any more? Ds and I are in the process of starting an IEP and speech therapy. And he still has behavior troubles that no one seems to notice but me and Dp. I'm just so tired and it's ridiculous trying to get dp to "man up." I love both of them so much but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I haven't even started my new job yet. And dp is still out of work, and not really sahd-ing if that makes sense. You ladies are so strong, you really are some amazing inspiration. đź’™

/endramble

Sending so many hugs to everyone.

#107 ·
Mommas, what do you do when you just can't do any more? Ds and I are in the process of starting an IEP and speech therapy. And he still has behavior troubles that no one seems to notice but me and Dp. I'm just so tired and it's ridiculous trying to get dp to "man up." I love both of them so much but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I haven't even started my new job yet. And dp is still out of work, and not really sahd-ing if that makes sense. You ladies are so strong, you really are some amazing inspiration. ?

/endramble

Sending so many hugs to everyone.
*hugs* McFly, it's a cliche of course but literally sometimes I have to live a day at a time or an hour at a time and tell myself that I'll survive.I don't say much about it on here but I've had my life entirely turned upside down in the last 2 months. It's a positive change for the most part but I'm struggling. I went through a lot of stuff in the last year and not all of it positive. At the beginning of January and end of December, I was in a DARK place. I had to lean on 2 friends who literally probably saved my life. I'm not where I want to be but I'm sure none of us are. I'm battling some things I can't control and some things that are entirely my own doing because I NEED to control something right now. Some days are better than others. But sometimes I literally have to make myself a cup of coffee, sit down in a dark room, or get on my yoga mat, and just BREATHE and tell myself, "you've got this. You can handle this. Just one hour. Make it through this one hour." And the next hour, same thing. Repeat all day until bed. Sometimes it looks better in the morning. Sometimes not. But I've made it another day.

#103 ·
Gonna have to get back on food stamps. Angry at DSS for claiming they didn't get my wage verification forms even though I hand-delivered them and got confirmation they were received. Sad and ashamed to have to go back on them. Nervous to have to face DSS again- they can be so nasty. :(

Tax return came in. Paid off both credit cards, hopefully we can keep them under control now.

#106 ·
Would really like taxes to go towards a paternity leave fund. Half of it's going this month thanks to bills, etc. Oh well, still grateful for it. :)

Put out business cards and flyers for my home organizing business. One person said he'd call me after he finished working, and I had an impromptu interview with someone who needs a personal assistance (temporarily?).

#111 ·
I am really frustrated lately. Since my brother in law has recovered from the stroke he expects us to cover all his expenses. Our budget doesn't allow and I said something. Husband just went behind my back and gave him another $100 we didn't have. I am pretty fed up and finally told brother in law not to ask for anymore money. Could of handled it better but we already were riding the red line every month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#112 ·
Anyone else have the habit of letting bills without late fees wait to be mailed until the last day of the month so they can come out of the next month's paycheck instead of the current one, but still be technically postmarked within the month? *sigh* This is how I paste the ends together.

I get meat from a local farmer at a discount in bulk, and just got an order that ended up being quite a bit more $$ than he quoted me. So that's a scramble. I also scheduled a long-overdue dental appointment (cancelled many times as I needed the money for other things) and I can't bring myself to cancel it again. They will drop me as a patient if I go on for too long, and I like this dentist. Their rule is 1 year between visits, but I usually stretch it to 2 years, and I can't put x-rays off any longer at this point. So it's stretch, stretch, stretch.

At least we have meat in the freezer now.

I have some clothes to consign this week, and found a guy who will buy or consign my used stereo equipment that has been gathering dust since I moved 3 years ago. Will I someday wish I had that stereo? Maybe. Is it worth it to keep it? Naw. Money in the hand would be much better right now.

Time is tight, but I'm going to make the time to go consign all that stuff because I think it will pay off.

I get today off from work, which is a really sweet luxury to enjoy.

#113 ·
Gratefuls~ DH still has a job its been 1 yr this month since he started working closer to home, we moved to a bigger house & cheaper rent. we have other vehicles to drive, im stuck driving our 14 passanger van currently- see hard stuff.

Hard stuff ~ My van broke :crying: we are pretty sure the fuel pump bit the dust it didnt want to start the other morning. So it needs a new fuel pump, power steering pump- its been sounding like its going out for a few months now, struts are blown on it. Ugh

#114 ·
Taxmas is over lol. I hate that I have buyer/spending remorse no mater what I do. Like everyone Im trying to find the balance between just surviving and enjoying life. I put my foot down about the eating out. My husband wants to eat out a lot more than me, and doesnt want to plan ahead. But instead we are thinking of treating ourselves to donuts every weekend.

We are also doing a staycation this year. Im brainstorming plans now. Hubby will use some vacation days, we will eat fun freezer/vacation foods, and plan out fun destinations/itineraries for each day. We have quite a few cheap/free places eithin a short driving distance so now its planning it out. Im actually pretty excited.

The first year if homeownership really kicked our butt but I have a few diy projects in the works.

#115 ·
Sitting on the couch, cancelled some appointments for this week and the rest of the month. Not in the mindset to go to them. But i did reschedule for later in the spring. Working on kiddo blanket i promised for xmas. oopsie. Thinking how lucky we are yet wondering how far into the red i can run with out major crisis happening.

Gratefuls:
ham for dinner this week 99c a lb for sprial sliced, so much cheaper than deli meat and lasts longer too
yarn, oh my yarn hoard is serving me well right now
i have a dx on my illness and i will heal (pnuemonia)
lots of blankets and pillows to rest
a wonderful kid to help me this week.

#116 ·
justmama;19271418 sometimes I have to live a day at a time or an hour at a time and tell myself that I'll survive.I don't say much about it on here You can handle this. Just one hour. Make it through this one hour." And the next hour said:
I just want to thank you for sharing this very personal part of your life. Your not alone Justmama, life can certainly be challenging at times. :Hug

#118 ·
DH was fired. I've been adjusting the budget. With his projected unemployment and the tax refund we just got in (talk about timing), we should be good through June before he HAS to have a job paying at least $15/hour.

I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am that this could happen to us and we are able to roll with it with so little strain. The only thing I am really worried about is health insurance. I'm going to let that slide for a few months and see what happens - I'd hate to go through the strain of paying for insurance as individuals if he can get a job pretty quickly. I already requested a deferment of his student loans, and I adjusted our disbursement of funds into other savings accounts. I'm probably going to spend some time tweaking that.

Tomorrow, we are going to the next town over and eating lunch with the whole fam (the kids have school off) and grocery shopping and picking up some applications.

Reactions: sillysapling
#119 ·
I'm trying to build my credit so I can buy a house in a couple years. I was preapproved for a credit card with no yearly fees and 1-5% cash back so I decided to apply. I was approved but now I feel all yucky about it. It's a $2000 limit. If I just use it for gas and pay it off every month, it'll be ok right? My monthly expense are so low that $2000 would be at least 2 months of expenses in an emergency as well.

Reactions: sillysapling
#120 ·
Credit cards aren't evil, but you have to be disciplined. One thing that can help is this: Figure out how to pay it off online, then every day when you get home, pay off your credit card. If you do that- then the only difference between it and using a debit card is that it's helping your credit and you get the cash back. That's an extreme case, but I think you should check on it at least once a week.

We got in trouble because we got into the habit of spending next month's money today. So I spent November's paychecks paying October's bills. Not a big deal if you've got a stable income. Then my income suddenly drastically dropped (lost food stamps, lost a job, and my dad couldn't help us out anymore- in total it was about $1500/month gone) aaaaand we were screwed. The tax refund came at the perfect time so we're on track again, but it was still sad to see so much of the tax refund disappear immediately because we'd gotten foolish.

#121 ·
That is a good point. I'm going to set it up so that it gets paid off in full every month and then only use it for gas. I'll budget everything beforehand and take out my spare cash so all that's in the account is enough for bills and gas. Then leave the debit card at home.

#122 · (Edited)
Mamabear, for improving your credit rating, I'm pretty sure the recommendation is to maintain a 30% balance on your cards. I don't know if this is average balance (maybe!), in which case you'd be fine paying it off at the end of the month, or if you're really supposed to be carrying a balance month to month...

Anyway, creditkarma.com has been very helpful for me in seeing what my credit score is and how it changes (and what I can do to increase it -- there's a simulator).

The other thing is to have three open lines of credit, not just one, that you're paying monthly on. I was told I needed this before I'd qualify for a mortgage -- I'm applying for one later this year if all goes well..

Edited to say, the three lines of credit can be loans, not just credit cards. It kind of makes my eyes cross that they want people who have passed their test of "struggles with credit" to get MORE credit to prove themselves. Wouldn't keeping credit needs minimal be a better proof? But whatever. I would rather not have credit cards at all, but it is the easiest path for me to get to the mortgage I need.

Good luck!

#123 ·
Credit cards. Ugh. I cut mine up when everything went to poo back in 2008 and I slowly paid it off over the next 2 years. I haven't had one since.

Gratefuls:

-got the call yesterday. I got the job! :love I'm over the moon about it. Yeah it's gonna make life a lot more hectic and harder but now I have a career I can be proud of. And it's not a ton of money(social work never is) but I'll be doing my small part to make a difference in the lives of children in my state that are in precarious situations.

-this man in my life. I honestly did not expect this to happen. I didn't WANT it to happen. But I'm feeling so blessed and grateful that it did. I have NEVER been treated with so much kindness and respect before.

-my yoga practice. It's kept me sane over the last 2 months(and really the last 14 years) and I cannot begin to tell you how it has changed me physically.

-I have the next 6 days to prepare for the job and my nanny job has ended. So I have a little vacation to buy some work clothes(I've dropped 20lbs in two months) and get some meals put in the freezer and enjoy some time off.

-got taken out to dinner last night by the man when he got off duty to celebrate my new job.

-because of the start time of my new job I'll still get to keep my morning babysitting job for a little extra cash and helping another single mom out AND I won't have to pay for daycare because I can get my kids on the bus in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.