2016 Low Income Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

92Likes

#121 of 430 Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
That is a good point. I'm going to set it up so that it gets paid off in full every month and then only use it for gas. I'll budget everything beforehand and take out my spare cash so all that's in the account is enough for bills and gas. Then leave the debit card at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 430 Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Mamabear, for improving your credit rating, I'm pretty sure the recommendation is to maintain a 30% balance on your cards. I don't know if this is average balance (maybe!), in which case you'd be fine paying it off at the end of the month, or if you're really supposed to be carrying a balance month to month...

Anyway, creditkarma.com has been very helpful for me in seeing what my credit score is and how it changes (and what I can do to increase it -- there's a simulator).

The other thing is to have three open lines of credit, not just one, that you're paying monthly on. I was told I needed this before I'd qualify for a mortgage -- I'm applying for one later this year if all goes well..

Edited to say, the three lines of credit can be loans, not just credit cards. It kind of makes my eyes cross that they want people who have passed their test of "struggles with credit" to get MORE credit to prove themselves. Wouldn't keeping credit needs minimal be a better proof? But whatever. I would rather not have credit cards at all, but it is the easiest path for me to get to the mortgage I need.

Good luck!

- homeschooling mom to three teens and a preteen

Last edited by worthy; 02-24-2016 at 04:56 AM.
#123 of 430 Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Credit cards. Ugh. I cut mine up when everything went to poo back in 2008 and I slowly paid it off over the next 2 years. I haven't had one since.

Gratefuls:

-got the call yesterday. I got the job! I'm over the moon about it. Yeah it's gonna make life a lot more hectic and harder but now I have a career I can be proud of. And it's not a ton of money(social work never is) but I'll be doing my small part to make a difference in the lives of children in my state that are in precarious situations.

-this man in my life. I honestly did not expect this to happen. I didn't WANT it to happen. But I'm feeling so blessed and grateful that it did. I have NEVER been treated with so much kindness and respect before.

-my yoga practice. It's kept me sane over the last 2 months(and really the last 14 years) and I cannot begin to tell you how it has changed me physically.

-I have the next 6 days to prepare for the job and my nanny job has ended. So I have a little vacation to buy some work clothes(I've dropped 20lbs in two months) and get some meals put in the freezer and enjoy some time off.

-got taken out to dinner last night by the man when he got off duty to celebrate my new job.

-because of the start time of my new job I'll still get to keep my morning babysitting job for a little extra cash and helping another single mom out AND I won't have to pay for daycare because I can get my kids on the bus in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#124 of 430 Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Congrats Justmama!

Credit cards are not for me. My husband and I have a stress shopping problem.

Things are pretty nice here, if not exciting. Changed a few things so should see a change in bills starting next month. Been doing some yard work while weather cooperated. Now I'm searching for wine bottles to edge my flower beds. I also have a few projects inside, currently I'm doing paper bag eallpapering to a wall with crumbling drywall (was improperly applied, not a structural issue ).

Found out kids have little to no summer clothes. We have a while of course but I'm starting to look for deals. If finances allow I will probably hit a consignment sale this spring.

Send good thoughts that my husband gets a new job he's persuing! He has an appt for a phone interview this week. It's more of a drive but a big raise, and I really think he needs a change.
#125 of 430 Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I don't have a credit card. They are not that common in Sweden, most people do not have them. Debit cards are very common though and I sometimes go months without having cash because I use my debit card all the time. I have thought about getting a credit card though for the rare times we go on a trip somewhere because they have better insurance if they would get stolen and so on. I would then only use it for the trip and put it away until the next one. I don't make a lot so I wouldn't be approved for very much so even if we had a little too much fun on a trip I would be able to pay for it.

We are doing fine in general but if my husband would get the job he applied for I would be happy and be able to enjoy the pregnancy some more.
#126 of 430 Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
I need february to be over. Stress, panic, anxiety, cash flow issues, plus some other things. Thankfully this is a very short month.

Tonight is baked chicken, garlic potato and veggies. Yummy. spring is definately here and temps are in the 70-80's. Windows are open and that makes me happy. I am doing more crochet to calm myself and I am trying very hard to get into good 'head space'.

Mom to J and never ending 

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#127 of 430 Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 AM

Anyone here with kids in or headed for college? Mine is headed to college next fall. Yikes.

It was a struggle to afford the testing and application fees (which we did not get a waiver for, but we weren't far off from the cutoff, and now we're even closer), and I just realized that some of the schools require a $400-800 deposit by May 1 regardless of financial aid award. Some of them don't require a deposit, but we don't have all the decision letters yet. Fingers crossed that DS is able to go to a school that doesn't require a deposit (and offers him substantial financial aid). Even coming up with $400 over the next two months will be a stretch.

I expect he'll get enough financial aid to be able to go, but it is nerve-wracking not knowing what those numbers look like yet. March is going to be a long month, waiting for those letters!

I know college isn't necessary, and I've prepped all my kids to not expect it. This kid already has almost two years worth of community college credits going in. He's done all the right things to keep costs low (except yearn for the challenge of a competitive college, LOL). For this very intellectual, motivated, academically-oriented kid, I think college really is needed, and in the field he's chosen, it should easily pay for itself (which was one of my requirements).

Still, the up-front costs are a burden. I think two of his 6 schools don't require a deposit, and one is his first choice school. So hopefully he'll go to one of those. Somehow I'll figure out a way to shuffle the money around so we can cover the deposit fee.

#128 of 430 Old 02-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Last edited by sunnybear; 04-14-2016 at 12:44 PM.
#129 of 430 Old 02-26-2016, 05:33 AM

Do any of y'all follow the prudent homemaker? Sometimes I love reading her stuff and sometimes it makes me angry because I don't understand why I can't do everything she does. Lol
#130 of 430 Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Worthy- I know Iv'e said it before and it's an unpopular vote in your camp but sometimes the kid just has to work. Mine is 15, doing community college and has a couple side jobs for ''fun money'. College is EXPENSIVE. Don't count on scholarhips to cover the full cost (even tho they might). there is the food, the books, the transportation, all kinds of little hidden costs, Mine needed a 'book' that was simply a $300 access code for an online 'book' for 15 weeks, no resale value or borrowing there. Your ex is around, sometimes you just need to say' EX, $800 is due at college xyz on next tuesday- make sure the admissions office has the funds'. We have four kids- these are expected costs.

Let me tell you, homeschooling and a few classes are very inexpensive to the community college kid has experienced and I can only imagine what university is going to add on in the next couple years.

Some ideas for kids working are: yard work, babysitting, housesitting, helping your club or group, (mine winds yarn for my yarn club at $1 a skein and it really adds up fast) etc I know the grocery store here hires baggers at $9.15/hr to start and cashiers at $9.65/hr- kid will be marching down there the day he turns 16 sadly. I bet if you put the word out in your community 3/4 of your kids could be doing some type of 'working'

#131 of 430 Old 02-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hi Worthy!

(I usually lurk on this thread, and rarely post anywhere because of time constraints, but hey, its WORTHY! )

I am going to agree with Zebra15--how much money does he have saved up for school? My kids have always expected that they would have to pay for school itself--I've been more than willing to help with some stuff, but it really is on them.

Here's how it has worked so far for us. First, since we live WAAAY out in the country (twenty minutes from any town that would have work), I have maintained a kid car/insurance for them. ONE kid car, so for the year or so of overlap, they had to figure out sharing, as well as ferrying their younger siblings around to various events/jobs. You guys are lucky in that your kids can just walk to downtown for work, yes?

So, oldest DD got her licence late--17 1/2, but was working (lifeguarding) before that, we'd just give rides. She ended up homeschooling all the way through, worked her way through various Red Cross skills (she's a WSI instructor), then decided to do her Basic EMT training, then her Advanced. She bought her own car three years ago (at 20yo). She now works various EMT jobs, house-sitting, and garden/cleaning stuff with me. She's living at home (we have encouraged this, since she's got so much overnight work, it makes no sense for her to spend money on rent when she's not there very much). She doesn't pay rent, but is constantly helping with rides, grocery shopping, little-brother stuff, farm chores.

DD#2 was homeschooled until halfway through 8th grade, then went to high school. She did sports (both school and year-round swim team, where she worked as a lifeguard), and worked (lifeguarding and cleaning/garden work). She's now a sophomore in college, majoring in civil engineering. She has gotten substantial scholarships, but has paid for the balance herself--within a week of being at school, she got a job, and works several shifts a week in the dining hall. Since I saw how hard she has worked, and is willing to work, I have continued to pay for car insurance for her so she can work when she's home. I also pay for her phone.

I've got DD#3 headed to school this fall as well--she's the same age as your E, and she's expected to pay that sort of stuff, just like her older siblings. She's also doing sports, and is pretty busy doing extra-curricular stuff (she also decided to attend high school). She is on vacation this week, and was begging me to bring her to work with me, lol--I clean for various people, and at one job, there is often "extra" work to do, so she came with, and we cleaned together for a couple of hours. It is really nice bonding time, actually.

I think it is important for them to have to WORK for stuff, otherwise it is too easy to feel a sense of entitlement. They are on the cusp of adulthood, and really need that push sometimes!

ps. It is good to "see" you again!
zebra15 likes this.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#132 of 430 Old 02-26-2016, 05:00 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies, I am back again. Things have changed and changed again for us. My two oldest girls now have homes and families of their own. My second oldest son is here with his girlfriend and kids. DH and I are in the same house but are not together anymore. Where I live, the good paying jobs are in the chemical plants. I'm trying to get the money for my cards so that I can get to work. Finally got on meds for my depression and they are really helping me. I still have dark days but not as many. Trying to just take things day by day.

Thanks for having this thread for us who need a place to vent about our what ever you want to call its

love and blessings
angie
#133 of 430 Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
mamabear0314 likes this.

Last edited by sunnybear; 04-14-2016 at 12:44 PM.
#134 of 430 Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon Amazon

WHile im not a religious person nor a dave ramsey person, this book has some good points about entitlement and kids and working and such things. most libraries should be able to get a copy.

#135 of 430 Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone up for a minimal/no spend March?
St. Patrick's day, Easter, April Birthday's , Mothers day, My calendar looks like xmas all over again. I need the hemmoraging to stop.
Plus I'm feeding a teenager which is a bottomless pit.
I have tons of out of pocket medical bills and then utilities but that is it. Minimal groceries and a couple fill ups for the car and I CAN NOT spend any more money this month.
3/1-don't even ask
3/2 $150 out of pocket medical and $20 gas, $40 post office, all planned
3/3 NO SPEND
3/4 NO SPEND
3/5 $50 limit at grocery
3/6 NO SPEND NO DRIVE
3/7 $300 catch up payment to medical

#136 of 430 Old 03-02-2016, 08:23 AM

We've gotten ourselves into a comfortable place thanks to taxes. Still in debt, still need to watch our budget closely but we can eat now and put needs are taken care if. Feeling grateful. Frustrated trying to get daughter into a Medicaid dentist, lots of phone tag and long wait times. Was able to get kids eye Dr checkup for next fri tho.
#137 of 430 Old 03-02-2016, 08:50 AM

I'm down with a no spend month, except my baby's birthday. I'll start today though.

3/2: Might have to pay for glasses
3/3: No spend
3/4: No spend
3/5: No spend
3/6: No spend
3/7: Might have lunch with a friend, less than $10
#138 of 430 Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I started a new thread for no spend challenge. though it would get confusing in here. Come on over!

#139 of 430 Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
hello everyone, hope you all are hanging in there.

Things are all over the place here as usual.

I got a bfp a couple weeks ago! We are excited. I haven't told anyone except dh and ds. Of course now I don't have medicaid, so I am going to try and reapply and apparently our state is backlogged, so it could take months. I do have my own insurance with a 6800 deductible! But at least most my first dr visit will be covered in 3 weeks just may have to pay for labs.

Finances are blah,, we had to dip into our income tax money which we are saving for a home if we ever find one. March isn't looking good at all either. Money is stretched thin. It is just so frustrating. our splurges are buying the kids clothes on clearance or the thrift shop or out to eat once a week, we are not just wasting our money away.

I got another minivan! Dh got a good trade in at work, we traded the sedan in for a second van. We had been wanting to get another vehicle that could fit the kids and with baby on the way a sedan wasnt very practical. It was an even trade so no money oop and no sales tax! Thank goodness. It is a 2006 but had a lot of work done on it so it should be good for 5 or so years. It helps dh can get everything done at cost.

Dh and I talked last night and he is going to ask for a raise. he gets a whopping half a percent in commsion and is going to ask for 1% commsion which would mean an extra few hundred dollars a month. He is also going to stop taking his half days. He is going to work til 3 instead of 12 on mondays to get a few more hours in, cause we really need to extra money to stay afloat.

Preschool, ugh, it has drained us a whopping 325$ a month, we took both dsd and dd to K round up and they gave us a packet of stuff they need to be learning, they have barely learned anything a preschool all year! They don't even recognize the letters and dsd cant even write her name and she is there all day long. I am so bummed out. I thought they would be learning more at pre K and I feel like we wasted a lot of money for them to do art work. I know some don't like the idea of learning to write and stuff before k but I do. I taught ds prek at home and he was much more advanced than them. But they only go til may and i don't want to yank them out now so I am just keeping them in and working extra with them at home on the letters and writing their name. they have 5.5 months til Kindergarten anyway but it just seems like we just wasted a lot of money and i could have done a better job.

march is tight and money is bleak but if we try hard we may be able to make ends meet.

Has anyone tried teachers pay teachers? I am thinking of trying to create some lesson plans, it looks pretty neat and could bring in some extra income.

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
#140 of 430 Old 03-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Congratulations!

Speaking of babies my niece is pregnant and I have been tracking down a few free things.

Zebra, I will be at lead lurking on the no spend month if not joining. We have been overbuying groceries and our budget billing came to an abrupt and on our electric bill. Now we owe a bill that's twice as large as expected ugh.

Otherwise things are doing well. Trying to prepare for spring and summer cheaply.
#141 of 430 Old 03-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
I am so sick of this. I can't get a boss to give me a solid schedule, so I feel like I can't turn down work. So I'll overwork myself, cramming my schedule, and hurting myself. Or I won't work on days I can because I think that I'll have a busy week, just to have it jerked out of the way. I have a completely unstable schedule, which is really rough on our toddler, adn it's impossible to budget when you don't know how much money is coming in.

I'm really sick of this, I keep telling people that I NEED a schedule ahead of time, and they keep refusing to. I don't have the self-assurance to quit jobs without knowing I've got something else as a back up, so I keep letting them pull this crap. *sighs*

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#142 of 430 Old 03-06-2016, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
A quick hello and update...
Things are going okay financially right now...not rich but at least bills are getting paid...I got insurance straightened out and cut in half $$ wise...such a relief!!!! I pd it for 6 months which created a bit of breathing room in the $$ area...I wish they would let me pay the whole year though 😡

I have been pretty sick for the last month...Bronchitis went into pneumonia..last visit the doctor wanted to admit me for some IV antibiotics because I am just having a hard time...I compromised with several days of antibiotic shots...its better...not super great but not as bad...I am sleeping a lot when I am not working...the wheezing short of breath and coughing seizures are the worst!! 😡

Zebra... II will go check out your no spend thread...I may join this month but loosly 😊

I hope and pray everyone is doing well and staying warm!!
#143 of 430 Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Worthy, have you or your spouse (I think you mentioned a DH in another thread?) considered taking a job at a college to take advantage of the tuition remission benefit? I work at a college and I started a new degree at a local community college, and when I finish my application to transfer to the school I work at they'll cover my tuition except books and fees (books are very reasonable here based on my investigation). My son isn't of college age yet, but I'll stay at this job until he receives his desired degree so he can graduate debt free (I'm still working down my debt from my first degree 10 years ago - it is a nightmare that I wouldn't wish on anyone!). My DF will be able to go to school for free after we're married, too. At the school I work at, we're state gov't employees too so the pay isn't bad and benefits are good.
Good idea, Pariah. That was smart planning on your part. No spouse here, and it wouldn't work in my situation right now, but I'll tuck the thought away for future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Worthy- I know Iv'e said it before and it's an unpopular vote in your camp but sometimes the kid just has to work.
Not sure where I gave the impression that I don't expect my kids to work or to pay for their own college expenses. DS1 has some work now and work lined up for the summer, and he does see it as his responsibility. It's not an issue of him not taking the cost seriously or being willing to shoulder a reasonable amount of it.

He paid for the last two community college classes he took out of his own pocket because I couldn't swing it. That's one reason he doesn't have savings to draw from. But also because we weren't thinking he needed money already in April -- we were thinking August or September. With the deadline for acceptance/housing deposits coming up fast, I can't imagine he'll have the $$ earned by then, and I can't imagine I can pull it together by then. I got a reprieve, though -- CC limit just suddenly went up by enough to cover it, so I can use that and buy some time.

I'm worried about the "EFC" part of it that goes above and beyond what DS can earn between now and then. We are "moderate low income" but we don't fall in the bracket where there is no EFC at all. It may well fall all on him, but we haven't seen the bottom line yet and it may be more than he can do without help.

And no, I can't count on my XH paying for any of it, not even if there's a bill due and it's reasonable to expect under the circumstances. He doesn't see reason that way, and in our state there is no legal basis to compel a parent to pay for college. We (possibly DS, not me) will provide him with the bill and ask his help. I don't expect he will, but he will have the opportunity.

DS2 has also set up work for himself all summer and some additional work throughout the school year to save up for his professional training (he's 16). I'm really proud of his initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
Hi Worthy!
OMG @farmer !!!!!! I can't believe it's youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! So many years... So good to hear what your kids are up to. I will send you a little catch-up by PM. Keeping things more anonymous here these days.

Breathe and trust, right?

Last edited by worthy; 03-08-2016 at 05:45 AM.
#144 of 430 Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Mylie, I'm so glad the insurance situation got sorted out. And for less money! It sucks not feeling good but at least you have insurance to be able to get help with it. Better than paying out of pocket or not getting better until you are finally hospitalized.

sillysapling, it's not too much to ask to get a solid schedule planned out so you can schedule the rest of your life. I couldn't function without a schedule. I'm sure it makes it harder on your partner to pick up the slack when you can't get your schedule planned out and coordinate child care.

Gratefuls:

-I'll be getting paid Friday for the first time in a month!!!! It's SO needed right now.

-The new job is going well. Seems I'll have the flexibility to do short little errands or schedule very early doctor's appts for my kids around my appts with clients and meetings. So that's HUGE for me.

-left the office an hour early today, which was AWESOME! I felt so relaxed being home in time to sit for 30 minutes and chill before having to start dinner and rush kids into doing homework.

-Friday I should be getting out of work an hour early again because I have a meeting that afternoon. And I don't have to drive back to my house for my kids because my ex will have them so I am already halfway to my boyfriend's house and have extra time with him.

-I wasn't sure it would happen but all the bills are covered. It's TIGHT for sure with only a few bucks to spare but it happened. I've been micromanaging my money for the last month because I had that 2 week break between jobs and 2 weeks until getting paid for the new job.

#145 of 430 Old 03-08-2016, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
sillysapling, it's not too much to ask to get a solid schedule planned out so you can schedule the rest of your life. I couldn't function without a schedule. I'm sure it makes it harder on your partner to pick up the slack when you can't get your schedule planned out and coordinate child care.
I agree. It's really hard on all 3 of us, it's just hard for me to have the self-esteem to stand up for myself. I'm finally getting there.

Now I just have to figure out how to negotiate a pay raise. @_@ I was getting $10/hr from someone who has now asked me to be her full time personal assistant. I'd like to get up to $12-$15 (especially since she doesn't cover any of the taxes, since it's a small business, that's a lot out of my pocket), which is on the average/low side for personal assistants.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#146 of 430 Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Husband went for a job interview this Monday (permanent position in a small town outside ours, OK distance) and today he got called up for another one (temporary position, bigger town some distance away but doable distance) which will be on Tuesday. He has not yet heard from the job he had last year which should be his biggest chance so this is huge. With the baby coming this summer we hope that at least one of these offers will come through (The permanent position would be a dream, knowing we have two pay checks for a significant time, I can't even imagine what that feels like and also being able to go on maternity leave and know we will make it financially and not even have to have a budget and know that I can stretch out the paid days so that we might be able to be at home for a full two years. It is too good to be true so I don't dare to hope but I so want it to happen.) All prayers and hope for us now!
#147 of 430 Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I had 2 appointments today _OT which I put on 'hold' until May and neurology which i see every 3-4 months. I'm not coping with OT well which is why I stopped the sessions permanetly for awhile and my Neuro is OK with that. At neuro i explained my crushing headaches are gone but the vertigo problem is horrible, so i have a referral to an ENT (since i've had 2 sinus infections in the course of 4 weeks).

I am very thankful for Medical coverage right now. i am sure the ENT (ear nose throat) is going to order tests, xrays and lab work, once i get there and that is going to be expensive plus his office fees.

I stopped at the store today, mid week non planned grocery run for pizza and salad for dinner plus strawberries were on sale so its a fast semi healthy dinner with produce leftovers.

This is going to be a long stretch to the end of the month $$wise but I think we can do it, we don't have any other choice. I need to call the electric and beg for another month to pay.

#148 of 430 Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Well, DH has been having some hard times since he got terminated. It's been stressful for us both. Fortunately, my boss asked me to add another day to my schedule just before this happened. However, he still hasn't gotten his last paycheck yet. It's really annoying. Between that and the insane hoops he has to jump through for unemployment, it's crazy that this system works for anyone.

DH got a call from unemployment. They wanted to know why he didn't take a job that was 75 miles away for $12/hr. Do they really think that that kind of offer is realistic? That would barely pay for his travel expenses and insurance!

He has a few contacts here in town and in some surrounding areas to do some small appliance repair work as a freelancer/self-employed, so here's hoping that that brings in some cash from time to time.

He's also looking at jobs that would require us to move. I don't mind that, but the house needs some work before we could sell it, so if there isn't a moving package with the job offer, it doesn't do much for us. We did get some insulation for cheap, so he can work on some of the repairs while he's job hunting.

Meanwhile, the stress of keeping him on track and motivated is really cutting into my writing, which is partially my fault. I should just push on through it. I might take a nap, instead.

We have a funeral to attend tomorrow - my aunt got in a wreck and died (no seatbelt). That part of the family is pretty hostile and judgmental, so it's gonna be fun... Hopefully, they'll feed us lunch. :P

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#149 of 430 Old 03-11-2016, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
wolfcat-that is crazy! I don't understand why 'working' to just work sometimes is the default, there are many cases where working does not pay much of anything with all the factors that play into it.

Dh's dad died wednesday. We thought we would be in a pickle for his cremation but one of his friends offered to pay for it. There will be a small memorial down the road but that may cause a whole other issue as there is a small chance dh's mom may show, they have been divorced 20 years but she came to see him while he was in hospice, we had a falling out with her so I do not know how that will go.

I am still pregnant! I am getting the typical morning sickness, starving to death feeling.

Finances are good! We thought march would be rough but it turns out that we got some expected but bonus money this month. Got the state taxes, they took all out that dh owed from last year which was 500 of it, but still got 195$ back. Dh got a bonus card from work for 400$, we were expecting, and he sold some of his personal collectibles to pay back an old loan. He also sold an old jersey in his closet for 75$! So that was a pleasant surprise. all in all that covered his debt of 350$, so that and the taxes we paid back 850$ in money this month without it affecting our regular monthly income.

We are still house shopping, ironically we got a call monday from the rental company saying someone wanted to buy the house we are renting. It is possibly investors, they have buying homes in the area so fast fixing them up and flipping them in a few months time sometimes for 100K more! Well dh told them we may be interested in buying the rental, it is quite the fixer upper but alot of it depends on how much they want to sell it for. It appraised through the county at 160K but it really needs at least 30K of work minimum so now we wait until they tell us how much they want to sell it for and if we don't buy it we may be forced to move once our lease is up so that is going to make us in quite the pickle =/ . The house is a good size for our family it just needs tons of work, fence needs fixed, new driveway, carpet, paint, the basement needs to be completey redone as well as the bathrooms and we don't even know the condition of the foundation. But if they sold it for under appraisal we could afford remodeling things if we got rid of that big payment for a realistic mortgage. Around 150K would save us 350$ per month which we could use to save up and start repairing the home piece by piece. Just so much to consider!

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
#150 of 430 Old 03-11-2016, 07:25 AM

This is crazy, a third company now wants my husband in for an interview. I am glad he is wanted but not having any job for almost 5 months and no call backs this is beyond what we expected. "If it rains it pours", I guess and sometimes in a good way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page