#1 of 430 Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
2016 Low Income Support Thread

Support Only

Starting a couple days early

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 430 Old 12-29-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

My new keywords for the year are 'calm' and 'relax', meaning less stressing about everything. Less stress about me, about money, about time, about messes etc. I have to find a way to be calm.
My old sig says 'seeking zen in 2014' well 2016 is all about zen.

#3 of 430 Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am right there with you zeb. I need to worry less this coming up year.

Things are okay here. Bro in law is still in hospital and sedated, and we have pretty much blown through any money we had going back and forth in gas,parking, food, etc. I am pretty nervous about bills these next few weeks but whatever. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 

#4 of 430 Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Happy 2016!!!

That is my goal right there...to focus more on me and my child's happiness and making her childhood full of fun loving memories, not worry about family drama and trying to make it better because it wont ever be...

I also have specific income goals...try to budget more efficiently.
I am hoping and praying we will come up soon on the list for HUD housing...it will make such a difference for us..

Here is to a Happy New Year for us all!!!!
#5 of 430 Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Happy New Year!
Sending hugs to everyone 💜

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

-
-
-
-
#6 of 430 Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone! After taking a little over a year break from this forum I am finally back. I'm staying very positive for the 2016 year. I am going to try to stress less, budget better & control my spending, cook & bake more and just spend more time with my son. While doing all this I will also be a full time student take 16+ units a semester and also being a guardian for my 12 & 13 year old sisters.

Stephanie, 26, Single parent to
DS (7/10). I

Full-Time Mommy, Student and Nanny

BS1: Completed 1/8/16
BS2: Credit Card Debt: $891.83, Personal Loan: $3955

#7 of 430 Old 12-31-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thankful to have found this thread - 2016 is all about saving and being frugal as my husband is starting college in Jan. Without his income, things are going to be tight. We're planning on selling our house to consolidate and move closer to campus and my work. Wishing everyone a great New Year and glad to have the support for the days when it feels like I can't afford to go to the grocery store.
Neera and heyxxmcfly like this.
#8 of 430 Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This sounds like it's right up my alley. We've actually done really well living on very little. But we can always do better. (Especially me. I still love to partake of some retail therapy more often than I should.) looking forward to brainstorming with you ladies! Happy New Year!
#9 of 430 Old 01-01-2016, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Dreaming of a 2016 where my husband is working and I can be on maternity leave without being scared of our finances crashing. If my husband does not get a job at all during this year the money we will have each month from about July will cover the bills and food and pretty much nothing else. I am glad we have maternity leave in this country but it is still very scary that it might be this tight.
#10 of 430 Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joined the end of 2015 thread so joining this one too. Hoping to improve our financial stress. doesnt help watching tv reality shows about super rich families
Neera likes this.

Mom    

#11 of 430 Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Hi ladies. It looks like we are all making similar goals. Im already feeling "lighter".

Of course my finances aren't suddenly better lol. Did an aldi run yesterday and will hit a mom and pop store tomorrow. Making a big pot of ham and beans. Fridge isnt full as Id love but we have food for a while. Yay!
#12 of 430 Old 01-01-2016, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ran a couple planned errands today and spending tonight on the sofa.

#13 of 430 Old 01-01-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Got my paycheck today now that I'm only working when the Mr isn't (which is only the weekend and two nights a week.) But I made more than I thought. My money is mostly for little spur of the moments, and only $105 for the last two weeks.

Mr is doing well at the new job and we're hoping to move out this year.

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

-
-
-
-
#14 of 430 Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM

I am trying to decide if I can sell anything that I own to increase my savings. I have been able to put some money into the savings now for a couple of months despite my husband being unemployed and while I know this is probably not going to continue unless a job appears for him soon I hope to be able to sell something. I don't own a lot of very expensive stuff except for some of my mom's jewelry that I enherited. There are some pieces I would not sell unless my life depended on it but there are some that I don't feel very attached to and they could go if I got a decent sum for them. I also want to get rid of some stuff that will be donations only to declutter. I know some have yard sales but I feel too low energy to go for that option.
Neera likes this.
#15 of 430 Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I made a couple small purchases today- swiffer thing to clean the ceiling fans, valentine stuff from dollar section, candles on clearance. But mostly spent the day on the sofa crocheting and eating from the freezer. Same plan for tomorrow, one small errand then yarn for the day.
In good news, my car is finally repaired and i returned the rental this am and have my own back. Hoping not to get in an accident this year.

#16 of 430 Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello All. Im new. I'm Sha, married for 14 years. 5 kids. Husband works very p/t. I'm f/t work from home so we can really only depend on my income. Feeling so frustrated with constantly being broke. I want 2016 to be different. I want to help my husband build his personal training business. There was some good news this evening. My husband was asked to take on more classes at the gym. I'm trying to remember The Secret & the power of positive thinking. The reason why it's so hard to keep this positivity going is he has had good news before & nothing ever came of these previous possibilities. I just want him to have this. We need it & he needs it...for himself so he can once again provide for our family like he used to.
#17 of 430 Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Welcome Sha!

I really can relate to how hard it is to stay positive when you have had bad news in the past. For me, what I call "realistic dreaming" helps. I try to find little things that could be achieved if this and that improved and see them in my mind without letting it turn into a dream world or going too far into dreaming but I imagine all the steps I/we will take to reach them and truly imagine us reaching them. I am not sure I am clear enough but it is something in between imaging good things to happen and making a plan for them to happen, taking the best from dreaming and planning.
shabish2002 likes this.
#18 of 430 Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliha View Post
I am trying to decide if I can sell anything that I own to increase my savings.
This is something I've been trying to work out as well. I don't think I have anything that will get more than a hundred or two, but it can add up. I'm hoping that with everything we have, I could get at least $1000, but I'm worried about how much effort it may take. Thankfully we can use my dad's storage area and so can put it off without clutter in our house.

I have a friend of a friend who sells antique toys, I'm hoping to get in touch with her about selling some of my old porcelain dolls.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#19 of 430 Old 01-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
We sold a lot last year. Im not sure qe have anything else left of resale value. Instead we will be trying to lower a few bills this year.

Getting back into the swing of scratch cooking. I have been slacking with the holidays. Last night made pb oatmeal muffins with leftover oatmeal. Im cooking a batch of beans in the crockpot. Tuesdays are often black nean burger day bc it super easy and quick after dds art class. Im probably going to bake oatmeal pumpkin cookie bars for a treat, plus jam muffins for tomorrow
#20 of 430 Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Happy New Year all. Ive' missed you all so much. I'm getting myself back on track with a lot of personal things that have fallen by the wayside. 2015 was a really tough year for me so I'm crawling out of a very deep hole right now emotionally. I got a new job at the beginning of December that's been hard but good money and I'm happy with it. It's only part-time but I'll find something else to supplement hopefully soon. We had a tough month in November and December was a bit better but not good but it looks like we are on the upswing financially now. And tax time is ahead thankfully. I got myself back on medication for my anxiety and I'm seeing a new therapist next week and have a great mental health support team in place now so that will hopefully help. I'm looking forward to 2016 as the year of "no." I'm a perpetual people pleaser so my challenge for the year is to put myself first and realize that everyone else cannot come before me and I don't need to make everyone happy. I'm working on saying no more often.

Today I'm grateful for:

-insurance. $216 worth of meds could have broken me.

-coffee after a long night

-a close friend who has gone through what I'm going through right now and she's there over the phone holding my hand every step of the way.

-finances are improving with the new job

-my kids are still doing well throughout everything we've been through. They seem to be ok still. I was it to continue of course.

#21 of 430 Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Today I'm grateful for:

-a close friend who has gone through what I'm going through right now and she's there over the phone holding my hand every step of the way.
Love this. A good friend can make all the difference.

Glad to see an upswing in your life and hope it continues this new year.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#22 of 430 Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Hey all!

I'm planning a purge, working on reining in our food spending, and fretting over a backslide in my credit score...

Today, DH went in to work early so he could have his interview for the supervisor position that he is virtually guaranteed to get. We are so nervous-excited! Nearly double the income. DOUBLE! Don't get me wrong, we have enough money... barely.... most of the time. It's a tight squeeze and we have never had much in the way of "fun" money. Like $5/week or so. We get a once a year camping vacation, though that is part business since I use it to network. We've been slowly paying things off and getting stuff taken care of, which helps, but this position would really allow us to spread our wings.

So, crossing fingers and toes!

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#23 of 430 Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bro in law is still in the hospital but can talk now. Financially we are drowning and are behind on literally everything except our light bill. I haven't worked in about 3 weeks, so started putting in job apps and passed the exam for the retail counter at the post office. I got invited to take the 2nd exam in their testing office about 45 mins away but if I get a interview and the job the pay is $15.63 (a lot where I am) per hr with full benefits and full time.

I hope everyone is doing well and hello to the new people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neera, sillysapling and elliha like this.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#24 of 430 Old 01-07-2016, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

My electric bill came. Heat is expensive in the desert. Ugh...I was hoping for a cheap winter but no such luck.
I called kiddo campus for a refund as he decided to 'unschool' this term which is totally find with me.

Thinking breakfast for dinner.

Avery- thinking of you and the family. Hoping things continue to improve!

#25 of 430 Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
de lurking
DH took a new job last Feb and a huge paycut. It got so bad i opened a credit card and was using it for groceries. Ugh now to climb out of the debt i racked up. We are going to be moving next month to a bigger house and cheaper rent which should help.
He's been working tons of overtime lately which has been a huge help. I get $200 a week and he expects me to be able to pay utilites, groceries and gas in van it was this way even when he was making a bunch more he uped it to $300 a week which helped me not ask him for exta money which i hated doing but then it lasted a few week cause then the job change and it went back to the $200.

Kami~34
DH~37,Alex~13,
Ryker~10
Harlan~4

4/05,7/05,11/10
#26 of 430 Old 01-08-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post
He's been working tons of overtime lately which has been a huge help. I get $200 a week and he expects me to be able to pay utilites, groceries and gas in van it was this way even when he was making a bunch more he uped it to $300 a week which helped me not ask him for exta money which i hated doing but then it lasted a few week cause then the job change and it went back to the $200.
Is that money he gives you to spend, and is that all the spending money you get? What percentage of his income is that and what does he do with the rest?

South California is really high cost of living, right? In my area, $800/month for utilities, groceries, and gas is actually about our budget (~$200 utilities, $200 gas, $400 groceries/misc, and we can manage lower)- but if you're in a higher cost of living that may not be possible and your husband should realize that.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#27 of 430 Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Love this. A good friend can make all the difference.

Glad to see an upswing in your life and hope it continues this new year.
Thank you Ruthiegirl. I would never have had the courage to do what needed to be done without this person. Of course now the hardest work is ahead of me mentally and emotionally but I have no doubt that she will be there for me there as well.

Gratefuls:

-enough food in the pantry and freezer to get us by for a while with only minimal grocery purchases.

-not counting my chickens yet but there's talk of a friend possibly helping me get a new job that would be comparable in pay to what I'm doing now but it would be full time and much more enjoyable. It's not even close to a guarantee but it's something. I'll take it.

-I was doing a good deed and dropping off fresh fruits and veggies to a single parent who's struggling financially and we had a cup of tea and chatted and it reminded me that I do have people by my side through this crap. More so than I thought.

-I have an unexpected night off from my kids tonight so I've got a friend coming over.

-Still keeping afloat with bills(barely but it counts!)

#28 of 430 Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
Is that money he gives you to spend, and is that all the spending money you get? What percentage of his income is that and what does he do with the rest?

South California is really high cost of living, right? In my area, $800/month for utilities, groceries, and gas is actually about our budget (~$200 utilities, $200 gas, $400 groceries/misc, and we can manage lower)- but if you're in a higher cost of living that may not be possible and your husband should realize that.
We are in a lower cost of living area and are about to move next week which will make rent go from $1095 to $900 and it will be a bigger house and we will have to buy propane but he will be in charge of that bill- home also has a fireplace which we will use also to so propane wont be the only source heating the house. Our new trash is gonna be way cheaper. Electric i'm hoping will be cheaper since the house is newer built in 2007, our current house was built in 1979

last bills for current house were $54.something for water, $52. something - trash, $158- gas we've been running the heater a ton lately. $140- electric even in summer it was still this high eve without running the a/c
#29 of 430 Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally completed BS1 today! After having to use up my BEF it feels so good to have it back again. Went out for errands again today and didn't eat out!! Super happy about that. I just ate some free samples at costco, it really helped until I got home and had some left over chili I made last night. My grandma is coming over this weekend and will be taking my sisters out. This is great because then I will be able to clean the house a bit and do some laundry. So far so good on sticking to the meal plan for dinner and making my sisters lunches this week. Monday I start at my main college full time, I will be in class in the mornings M-F, so the rest of the month I will have to see what will work out (errands, shopping, cleaning & etc.) Hugs to everyone!

Gratefuls
*Funded BEF
*Keeping up with Winter Session assignments
*Sisters are not being too difficult
*New kitty has been more active and loving
*Dance class to relieve stress
*Free kindle books!!
*A sick free family! Thank goodness
*Full fridge, freezer & pantry.

Stephanie, 26, Single parent to
DS (7/10). I

Full-Time Mommy, Student and Nanny

BS1: Completed 1/8/16
BS2: Credit Card Debt: $891.83, Personal Loan: $3955

#30 of 430 Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 AM

Oh my goodness gracious this week....

-my job dropped me from 60 to 8 hours without warning
-which worked out because I hit my limit, I spent 5 days barely func tonal because I'd just pushed myself too hard
-and also tried coffee which is super bad for my fibro, so now I'm in withdrawal. Doing better but there's a 3 hour window each day that I'm exhausted and weepy.
-Major hiccup with mortgage. This may take longer because I'm not working a normal job (ugh)
-mom decided to visit and told us at the very last minute
-.... for an appointment to talk about the heart surgery she's been putting off for years. Nothing like hearing a doctor talk about "Then we restart your heart..."

Oy. One at a time would be one thing but EVERYTHING AT ONCE AAAGGGHHBB

Gratefuls:
-potty training is going great!
-working with someone to become a professional organizer, which should mean more money incoming
-even with the avalanche, I do feel that 2016 is going t be a good year and we'll be able to get our own place and start ttc ing in march

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page