JUNE low/no spend - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

53Likes

#31 of 104 Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Have to take kid to campus today, might stop at the grocery for a couple things (need waters). I have appt tonight, not sure if i will make a payment or not, will def have to make payment when i see her friday.
Kid has summer art club tonight, he will take drinks and snacks for himself.

Thursday kid has haircut and 'mangrooming'

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 104 Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Went to campus, went to mailbox, paid the internet bill, got some drive thru.
Going back out tonight and am going to need gas but will not be paying therapist until later this week. Hoping to get a check from my mother to cover the car repairs and tires because my bank account is quite low right now and its only the 6th of the month. I need to conserve what little funds I have right now.

#33 of 104 Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Jun 1: Gas: $38.20. Dinner out with dh $7.67. Clothing/personal items: $129.82. Groceries: $70.84.
Jun 2: No spend/no drive
Jun 3: No drive. Put $900 on cc's last night.
Jun 4: No spend, no drive.
Jun 5: McDonald's $10.05; Groceries @ natural food store $47.08; Sonic + tip $17.00 ; Shirt $7.45 ; Clothes and other items at Goodwill $49.47; Dinner at Walmart $12.17 = Total for the day $143.23
Jun 6: No spend, no drive

PROJECTED:
Jun 7: Kids golf clinic; kids tennis lessons
Jun 8: Kids golf clinic
Jun 9: Dr appt; nutritionist appt; kids tennis lesson
Jun 10: Brother leaves town... possibly going into the city to see him off?

Skipped the church meeting tonight when I realized how late we'd be getting back home for the city. We have golf lessons making an early start for tomorrow. Good thing about that though was the no spend, no drive day. Yay!

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#34 of 104 Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
So we need to save every single penny for a move this summer. I got into my apartment on the Rapid Rehousing program with federal funds so I didn't pay a security deposit and there won't be one coming to me when I move out. So I ahve to fund first and security when I get a new place. And that's gonna be painful. So all those little expenditures that I allow need to stop. So I'm in for the month. I bombed today but it was only $6. It could have been worse. Tomorrow I'll be out of the office all day and tempted to stop for a coffee. Got some chilling in the fridge for ice coffee to bring with me tomrrow.
Ragana and crazyms like this.

#35 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Tomorrow I'll be out of the office all day and tempted to stop for a coffee. Got some chilling in the fridge for ice coffee to bring with me tomrrow.
I hear you. We have definitely been giving in to small summer temptations, but I have also been making a big pitcher of lemonade (1 c. lemon juice, 2/3-3/4 c. sugar, about 8 c. water) and a gallon of sun tea for iced tea (8-10 tea bags and a gallon of water) to keep that at bay - it costs maybe $2 each time for both.
Neera likes this.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#36 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
I spent a little too much on my "knitting night". We are meeting in a new place, and I get hungry, there are drinks... I end up spending too much before I can figure out what I can allow myself. But it was a very good night out, I just need some belt tightening elsewhere.

My birthday is late July, and in the spring I start thinking of all the things I'm going to buy myself, and as the date gets closer and closer until I start thinking that I could pay for a mocha *maybe*. Oh, well. I'm not down that far, but the dreams are shrinking rapidly and I expect them to hit mocha-status in about 3 weeks.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#37 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I miss my 'yarn club'. It was a way to force myself to get out and be social. I'm not at a good point mentally and being social isnt good for me most days. But i do miss that aspect of my life. Most days its safer for me to stay inside and hide behind the safety of the computer and internet walls.

Today I have someone coming to look at the condo. Then kiddo needs a few things at the grocery so we have to go out. After that I will be hibernating in the house until tomorrow evening (my monday appt was rescheduled to weds pm).

I'm making pizza for lunch and salad for dinner.

#38 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I'm late to the party, but DH is going back to college this fall, and we need to keep things tight until then. We just got back from a working vacay, so our food supplies are a little sparse right now.

I'm not counting bills or our regular food/supplies expenses, which all stay pretty much the same on a monthly or weekly basis.

6/1 - Groceries ($5) and eating lunch out ($9)
6/2 - Nada
6/3 - Eating lunch out ($20) and paying for DH's transcripts ($6)
6/4 - Nada
6/5 - Ran out of honey so bought bulk honey and bulk beans ($65)
6/6 - Nada
6/7 - Got dishwasher tabs ($8) and produce for supper ($6)

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#39 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

much needed emergency mid week run to the grocery store $25. kid is hitting some type of early summer growth spurt and eating me out of house and home. I was just there saturday to the tune of $110 and most of that is gone. Today was : strawberries, deli meat, doritosx4, icecream, waters and diet coke (so i dont lose my every loving mind).

I also got my delivery from amazon of my favorite over ice coffee. I can only find it on amazon and it a huge quanity so I should be set for the summer on iced coffee

Dinners plan is salad with chicken tenders and a side of strawberries. Kiddo can finish up the mango lemonade and have icecream for dessert.

I plan on making some egg salad tonight or tomorrow to get us thru to the weekend as deli meat only last a couple days since kid is inhaling 'deli rolls'.

#40 of 104 Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
$7 spent on stupid junk I didn't need.

$30 at grocery store on stuff I did need. So overall not a terrible day. But still $7 I should not have spent.

Tomorrow hopefully will be better. I'll be busy from 10am until 4pm with meetings and then in the office so it'll be easier. Part of my job is that I drive a lot and it's so so so easy to stop for something super fast. And I never have time for a real lunch. Most of the time my lunch is in my car driving from one client to another. So I really need to get better about single handed lunches like sandwiches so I can drive and eat. Better for my wallet AND my waistline I'm sure.

#41 of 104 Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *green*faery* View Post
6/1-drove kids to a class, dh bought groceries
6/2- drove to last day off class, dh bought more groceries (he works at a grocery store)
6/3- no drive, dh bought stuff at Home Depot to finish chicken coop
6/4- no drive, dh had to get more at Home Depot *sign*
6/5-No spend, no drive
6/6-groceries for ds birthday (dh got them), no drive
6/7- drive to activity, eat out for sons bday (planned in birthday budget)
6/8-no spend, no drive
applejuice likes this.

Homeschooling mama to Kylan (11yo), Everest (9yo), Bodhi (5yo), and Meadow (18mo)
#42 of 104 Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
a/c was $470.00. Was dead this am when i started the car, took it straight to the dealer, since it wasn't working they were able to determine what was wrong. Fixed it today. Long day but at least I have ICE COLD FULL BLAST a/c now. Unfortuanetly I need to call 'home' for a signficant amount of money to make it thru this month. yes i realize its only the 4th. But with tires at the end of last month and now a/c, im running over 1k in unexpected car expenses.
Uhg, I hate those kind of expenses!! Glad you have ice cold a/c now though!
applejuice likes this.

Homeschooling mama to Kylan (11yo), Everest (9yo), Bodhi (5yo), and Meadow (18mo)
#43 of 104 Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM

Whoops. Better catch up.

I didn't count what I spent on our new storage unit because I don't count bills and stuff here.

I don't expect anything today
Tomorrow I take the car in (window won't work and it's stuck halfway down-- of course). So that means farmer's market. Also swimming and other stuff.
Sat and Sun look good from here.
Quote:
June 1: handful of groceries
June 2: handful of snacks for girls; drive to 4-H
June 3: swimming; some expenses; couple of indulgences; handful of groceries
June 4: NOTHING
June 5: work; a couple of forgotten things
June 6: lunch out with girls; too much for knitting night
June 7: groceries (and tequila )
June 8: NOTHING
applejuice likes this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#44 of 104 Old 06-09-2016, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Jun 1: Gas: $38.20. Dinner out with dh $7.67. Clothing/personal items: $129.82. Groceries: $70.84.
Jun 2: No spend/no drive
Jun 3: No drive. Put $900 on cc's last night.
Jun 4: No spend, no drive.
Jun 5: McDonald's $10.05; Groceries @ natural food store $47.08; Sonic + tip $17.00 ; Shirt $7.45 ; Clothes and other items at Goodwill $49.47; Dinner at Walmart $12.17 = Total for the day $143.23
Jun 6: No spend, no drive
Jun 7: Grocery run $136.72
Jun 8: No spending!
Jun 9: Dr appt - $160 for appt and labs; nutritionist appt - free consult!; Spent $15 on food out. Oops!; $20 gas

Weekend Schedule:
Jun 10: Going into city to see brother off. I know this is going to mean spending.
Jun 11: Collecting firewood
Jun 12: Church

Yay!! We have more people joining in! Today was a good day. Met with a new doctor and nutritionist and liked them both. Only now I need to figure out medical expenses we need plus I need to start working on improving our diet and home which means money. *sigh* Decisions, decisions...
applejuice likes this.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#45 of 104 Old 06-09-2016, 08:02 PM

DH is going back to college this fall, and we need to keep things tight until then. We just got back from a working vacay, so our food supplies are a little sparse right now.

I'm not counting bills or our regular food/supplies expenses, which all stay pretty much the same on a monthly or weekly basis.

6/2 - Nada
6/4 - Nada
6/6 - Nada
6/8 - Nada
6/9 - Salsa, sour cream and cheese for supper ($10)
applejuice likes this.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#46 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM

A few things today: car window, the girls need bathing suits, I'm sure some out-and-about expenses.

We are stopping by a fellow 4-H club member who is selling us two rabbits. We aren't buying them or picking them up today, but it's a new expense.

Quote:
June 9: NOTHING
applejuice likes this.

#47 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 04:08 PM

OK. Ouch. Uff da.

No more spending for the next two weeks. I was nickeled and dimed and my girls held me to some long-made promises and I am spending $160-something on getting my car window fixed (could have been worse) and...

Phew!

That's it. No more food for anybody. No more nothin'.
applejuice likes this.

#48 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I like the no drive part of this thread !!! I finally have access to public transit yay! I use that a lot and we can now bike ( but not now, too hot, 6-8 months a year but not now)
applejuice likes this.
#49 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Glad to see this thread is still going,yay!
applejuice and SweetSilver like this.
#50 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
One more successful night. Dd was pestering to eat out. I didn't agree or disagree; was just buying time. She got distracted and decided she'll eat watermelon instead.
applejuice likes this.

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.
#51 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Held off paying the dr until monday, went out to dinner and sams club $75, not too bad.
rest of the grocery is tomorrow.
applejuice likes this.

#52 of 104 Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
Glad to see this thread is still going,yay!
It's like the old days!
pumabearclan likes this.

#53 of 104 Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 PM

I wish there was public transit around here. A shuttle or something to get the few people who need it around would be great.

6/2 - Nada
6/4 - Nada
6/6 - Nada
6/8 - Nada
6/9 - Salsa, sour cream and cheese for supper ($10)
6/10 - Nada
6/11 - Nada
applejuice likes this.

#54 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM

Food for thought: what lifestyle situations are costing you when you are trying not to spend? Over the years I've seen a few trends on this forum: children's social life, busy and out-and-about rather than at home for the day, and the adults' lifestyles including socializing and career/work commitments.

Wondering if an assessment of lifestyle would be a helpful approach in addition to working on each day/month. It's likely a lot of you are already doing this kind... what have you learned that you are willing to share?

A big lifestyle adjustment for me as a mom was to disengage from childrearing consumerism by removing consumerism from our lives: no TV, alternative gift giving like service coupons and free events, demanding good stewardship of resources like clothing (clothing is not "lost," use an apron, mend, etc), a sense of charity for others which lowered consumer expectations by heightening appreciation, food is never never wasted by preparing only enough for each meal and serving small portions and including them in meal preparation, informing children how much things cost ( lunch meat twice as expensive as a cold hamburger and dinner out 2-5 times more costly). Also advising the child of priorities which everyone must understand in order to run a household ( I read a superb book that argued that children, being now unable to work for a wage - good - and unable usually to participate in the family economy, have become disenfranchises from society, and indeed this is the definition of disenfranchisement.

Last edited by pumabearclan; 06-13-2016 at 08:48 AM.
#55 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM

I spend a lot of time on name recognition, which requires full-time internet access (3 blogs, author pages on 5 social networks, 2 weekly podcasts, 1 yearly online convention, periodic interviews/panel discussions, etc), so dropping internet is never an option for us.

I go to the local-ish twice annual writer's conventions, though I make sure we can afford it first. I've made a lot of contacts and gotten a few "fans" from that, so it will *probably* pay off at some point.

We travel to the city often, as all our friends and my parents live there. Mostly that's a gas expense, as my parents put us up and we are pretty frugal about eating on the road.

The kids go to AfterZone in the summer. It costs about $300 for the summer for both kids, but it's all day for almost two months, and the kids get breakfast, lunch and two snacks, plus activities. We might get a day pass for them for the swimming pool for the rest of the time, which would run us ~$20, though the kids are just as likely to go to one of several parks instead, so we are still pondering that one.
pumabearclan likes this.

#56 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
Food for thought: what lifestyle situations are costing you when you are trying not to spend? Over the years I've seen a few trends on this forum: children's social life, busy and out-and-about rather than at home for the day, and the adults' lifestyles including socializing and career/work commitments.

Wondering if an assessment of lifestyle would be a helpful approach in addition to working on each day/month. It's likely a lot of you are already doing this kind... what have you learned that you are willing to share?

I read a superb book that argued that children, being now unable to work for a wage - good - and unable usually to participate in the family economy, have become disenfranchises from society, and indeed this is the definition of disenfranchisement.
Yes, there are certain choices that cause big financial failures in spite of good intentions. Spending out and about, for sure, is the biggest source of uncontrolled spending. Gymnastics costs way more, but it is a calculated expense. The gas for excursions: huge. We live in a relatively isolated area, and it's wonderful and the fuel to get anywhere adds up fast. Raising animals (even small ones) for 4-H adds up, but although those expenses are annoying, I wouldn't change it.

I think we are doing fairly well. I wish there wasn't so much emotional desire for treats like eating out, etc, but really the demand is small. We have regular discussions about finances, and as the girls age they are getting better at accepting them. We are lucky in that the girls can participate in our work-for-pay in a real way if they want. I do agree that excluding kids from the work of adults (I'm not saying it's unnecessary necessarily, I'm just pointing out a fact) is not a good thing for them. The "real world" seems like something they get to do later in life, and that's sad.

We are adding expenses that have long been necessary: a second cell phone, a storage unit (I really wish this weren't necessary, but for now my sanity depends upon it.)

We aren't eating square meals, not even family dinners every day as activities and such get in the way of that. That adds to the food bill, which is prodigious. If we were home every day then it would be different, but I value what we do regardless. Everything is a trade off, and as long as there is nothing that seems to be missing then I am OK with that. I don't mind our lifestyle, but there are "expenses".

If I could change anything right now? Hmmm.... I'm not really too disappointed with what we spend, I just wish it were more mindful. I don't think the spending my girls are begging for is based off of media. They want stuff for their animals, they want treats, they want new gymnastics leotards or riding clothes. They want kayaks and fishing gear and camping gear and camping trips and new swimsuits and would love a hot chocolate or some french fries or tacos while we are out getting it. My oldest is at this moment pestering her dad to get on building the rabbit hutch for our two new rabbits we are getting. The new kittens need a vet visit in a few weeks. A cheap-ass birthday tablet needs to be replaced eventually with a half-decent used iPad so I can sync it with everything. They bought their first CDs at the record store.

I spend a little too much on yarn, and on drinks and food for when we have knitting night. I spend too much on hiking gear and books. Too much on good, organic or locally raised food. I need to make room for life insurance and a little bit towards investments, as I have no retirement savings currently. I'm heading back to college this summer.

Wow. Really, this is the first time I take a good look at what and how we spend and felt, really, quite pleased with it. It could be less, and if I feel the need, stuff will have to go. After a particularly bad spending day out, I call a moratorium on everything except rabbits and swimsuits until we head out north for a week in Seattle (my youngest needs a new suit for girl scout camp).

So for us, really, it's lowering our expenses down here and there and making better choices along the way, and most especially, *planning* and budgeting and all that.
pumabearclan likes this.

#57 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
June 9: NOTHING
June 10: nothing to speak of
June 11: a handful of groceries
June 12: lunch
I haven't been keeping up so I might have forgotten a few things, but it's basically been groceries. I didn't make a good lunch and dinner for work yesterday and wound up at the mini-mart (only store in town) to pick up crackers, a bean burrito and some Raisinettes. Pretty good a mostly frugal, actually, so that's not too bad.

Today I only need cat litter and am off driving quite a ways for registration counseling for school.

The rest of the week is pretty local for a change and a chance to be a bit frugal. We are putting together a list of rabbit necessities. We plan on swimming this Friday and new swimsuits.
pumabearclan likes this.

#58 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
rabbits and swimsuits

Love these priorities !!!

What a good post. I think people can lose sight of their overall goals. It seems that you and wolfcat have not... I'm constantly revisiting mine, it's a good exercise!
SweetSilver likes this.
#59 of 104 Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Jumping in mid-month out of anticipation of DH's next paycheck. We live in a high COL area, and in order to retain our lifestyle of one income and homeschooling, we'll need to reign in our spending.

6/13: Miraculously, although we had to leave the house for an errand today, I managed to stay out of the espresso drive-thru. If we're honest, these places are mostly just candy stores for grown-ups.
pumabearclan likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#60 of 104 Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I managed to stay out of the espresso drive-thru. If we're honest, these places are mostly just candy stores for grown-ups.
Oh, yeah.

I am honest.
Turquesa likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page