JUNE low/no spend - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

53Likes

#61 of 104 Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
We need to do a big grocery shop - that seems to be our major failing right now.

6/1 - Groceries ($5) and eating lunch out ($9)
6/2 - Nada
6/3 - Eating lunch out ($20) and paying for DH's transcripts ($6)
6/4 - Nada
6/5 - Ran out of honey so bought bulk honey and bulk beans ($65)
6/6 - Nada
6/7 - Got dishwasher tabs ($8) and produce for supper ($6)
6/8 - Nada
6/9 - Salsa, sour cream and cheese for supper ($10)
6/10 - Nada
6/11 - Nada
6/12 - Milk and cheese and antacids ($18)
6/13 - Eggs and seasonings ($5)
6/14 - Onion powder to make homemade ranch ($2)

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 104 Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
No plans to leave the house until Thursday. This doesnt mean i wont spend money (thank you amazon) but at least there are no drive days planned. d
pumabearclan likes this.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#63 of 104 Old 06-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
No plans to leave the house until Thursday. This doesnt mean i wont spend money (thank you amazon) but at least there are no drive days planned. d
I am avoiding drive thrus at all costs!!!! I have noticed lots of fast food seems to affect my anxiety...plus the outgoing $$ could be going towards my electric bill 😁
So tonight I am making grilled chicken, garlic butter noodles and corn...
This week so far I have spent 0$...work back home, and so ...it is working...lol
pumabearclan likes this.

#64 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
June 1: handful of groceries
June 2: handful of snacks for girls; drive to 4-H
June 3: swimming; some expenses; couple of indulgences; handful of groceries
June 4: NOTHING
June 5: work; a couple of forgotten things
June 6: lunch out with girls; too much for knitting night
June 7: groceries (and tequila )
June 8: NOTHING
June 9: NOTHING
June 10: nothing to speak of
June 11: a handful of groceries
June 12: lunch
June 13: cat litter; junk
June14: handful of groceries; kitten formula, dewormer

I haven't had kittens around without a mother for a very long time. It makes me appreciate all they do. The poop. Oh, god, the poop. Somehow animals that are supposed to learn potty skills are more annoying as juveniles with imperfect potty skills than animals like chickens who will never learn them and who poop everywhere.

I stayed home from knitting night even though I had the chance to go. I made myself two drinks out of what I had, replicating what I order at the cantina, and I sat and crocheted an afghan I am making for my daughter. I saved drive time (everything is so far from my house) and some serious change. $7 for a cocktail! Yikes. Worth it, though, when I am there. The company is that good.

Oh, today should be a no-spend. Maybe tomorrow, but I don't have a chance to make a big shopping trip this week (thankfully I'm staying local) so that means little bits frequently because XH is in charge of shopping.

Friday will be a big day, though.
pumabearclan likes this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

Last edited by SweetSilver; 06-15-2016 at 07:39 AM.
#65 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
We are still figuring out the best places to buy things. We just found a super taqueria al pastor where we can both eat well for about $7USD total, which makes going out to grab a bite a lot more inviting. I like supporting local economy and I don't like to cook so finds like this are awesome! Don't have a chest freezer anymore and bulk buying isn't common here. We have an evaporative cooler and don't buy heat so energy bills are much lower. I'm still spending more than I want on groceries; I'm sure I can do better but it's been a hassle to get to the farmers market since I have to take the bus and it's really really hot here and I'm still not in my comfort zone. I'm looking around for a buddy to get me on track.
#66 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

$12 amazon last night, for a case of GF cookie mix (12 boxes pillsbury) seeing as how they are $3-4 each at the grocery its a steal. They were out of the funfetti cake mix but i have an alert for when its back in stock. My kid can blow thru baked stuff like no tomorrow.... teenagers sheezez

#67 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
I'm looking around for a buddy to get me on track.
I like the idea of a shopping buddy! Unfortunately, even saying "hello" to my friends is a huge victory.
pumabearclan likes this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#68 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM

We're kind of "shopping buddies" here, which is a great start
Ragana and SweetSilver like this.
#69 of 104 Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
6/14: $190 groceries
6/15: $200 vet bill
ETA: 6/16 - $1.50 for kids' snacks. Evvveeerrrrry hour their tummy alarms go off.
applejuice likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice

Last edited by Turquesa; 06-17-2016 at 07:33 AM.
#70 of 104 Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Not even going to post what yesterday cost me... but I did treat myself to some yummy yarn. (cuz i dont have enough yarn)
applejuice likes this.

#71 of 104 Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Jun 1: Gas: $38.20. Dinner out with dh $7.67. Clothing/personal items: $129.82. Groceries: $70.84.
Jun 2: No spend/no drive
Jun 3: No drive. Put $900 on cc's last night.
Jun 4: No spend, no drive.
Jun 5: McDonald's $10.05; Groceries @ natural food store $47.08; Sonic + tip $17.00 ; Shirt $7.45 ; Clothes and other items at Goodwill $49.47; Dinner at Walmart $12.17 = Total for the day $143.23
Jun 6: No spend, no drive
Jun 7: Grocery run $136.72
Jun 8: No spending!
Jun 9: Dr appt - $160 for appt and labs; nutritionist appt - free consult!; Spent $15 on food out. Oops!; $20 gas
Jun 10: Spending!
Jun 11: Collected firewood; No spend.
Jun 12: No spend/no drive
Jun 13: No spend/no drive
Jun 14: Tennis. Spending.
Jun 15: Thrift store shopping and swimming. Spent more than expected but I did get some much needed items at great prices.
Jun 16: Tennis. Good bit of spending but nothing too outrageous. Picked up snacks and dinner out.
Jun 17: No drive/no spend

I haven't been closely tracking the spending the last week. I have definitely had some unbudgeted spending but I have kept it somewhat under control. Mostly eating out. I seriously need to focus on packing snacks/drinks when we leave the house :/

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#72 of 104 Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 PM

We went to the mall today to buy swimsuits. Success, and even on clearance (because you can't f@$ing find a swimsuit in June). However, major anxiety attack. No better way to put it. I hate malls. Now school is out, every one and their friend's grandmother was at the mall today and I hate the mall in the first place. The strange canned echoes that sound nightmarish. The perfumes. All the people who have so much frickin' fun shopping. I could not shake that feeling of wanting to crawl under a rock. Not even when we finally got out of there without much to-do.

I always get this feeling in malls. I have no idea why it impacted me so severly today. I cancelled work this evening, couldn't go for my walk. A short visit in my backyard, 2 1/2 drinks, zoning out on the computer and Brian Eno's "Kites" playing on repeat on the earbuds, and I am feeling a little better.

Ugh ugh ugh blech blech blech.

Just, blech.
applejuice likes this.

#73 of 104 Old 06-18-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just jumping right in here late.
Had a bit of a financial panic attack tonight.
I have a few big expenses coming up and DH just got some work after a year and a half. There's always a two week delay on his pay with how the company does payroll, so the timing isn't great but yay work.

Today I had a big servicing done on my car so it wasn't low or no spend.
My goal is just to make it the week.
applejuice likes this.

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (11 years old)
#74 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
June 1: handful of groceries
June 2: handful of snacks for girls; drive to 4-H
June 3: swimming; some expenses; couple of indulgences; handful of groceries
June 4: NOTHING
June 5: work; a couple of forgotten things
June 6: lunch out with girls; too much for knitting night
June 7: groceries (and tequila )
June 8: NOTHING
June 9: NOTHING
June 10: nothing to speak of
June 11: a handful of groceries
June 12: lunch
June 13: cat litter; junk
June14: handful of groceries; kitten formula, dewormer
June 15: handful of groceies
June 16: handful of groceries
June 17: swimsuits; ate out; open swim
June 18: ate out; dad's days presents
My "handful of groceries" days are essentially no-spends. XH ends up being the one grocery shopping because I have other things I need to get done if I do go into town (which isn't as often as he does). So, well, it's what ends up happening. I try not to sweat it.

Today really will be a no-spend I think.
applejuice likes this.

#75 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

yesterday was costly, more groceries (yes i was at the store on friday as well), new sneakers and kid needed some shorts- summer is essentially all year long here. Old Navy had mens shorts for $10 and they actually had size 29 in stock. Double bonus. I've been wearing sandals for months and my feet and back are paying a price. I broke down and got new Nikes which should solve the problem. Yes I will need to wear real shoes when its reaching 120* this week but I must face the facts- I am getting OLD and I need to relieve some of the pain on my joints. (not even in flip flops, been wearing leather sandals. this is not good)

Today is no drive, no spend, like i said its 120*for the next couple days. All I want to do is stay inside, under the a/c and fans and crochet and watch tv and have ice waters.

Kid has summer art club monday night, that is when i plan on leaving the house
applejuice and pumabearclan like this.

#76 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yes I will need to wear real shoes when its reaching 120* this week
Yikes. Yes, that heat is crazy. And dangerous. I'm keeping you and all my friends down in the SW in my thoughts this week.

Especially, yes, most especially, because I woke up this morning to temps in the 30sF. Yup. At 7am this morning I was at 38°F. No, this isn't the mountains. This is lowland WA. (Well, I'm up on a hill at 350ft. Doesn't quite count as mountains.)

#77 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yes I will need to wear real shoes when its reaching 120* this week but I must face the facts- I am getting OLD and I need to relieve some of the pain on my joints. (not even in flip flops, been wearing leather sandals. this is not good)

I wear orthaheel/vionic sandals, they have all kinds of options from backstrap to flip flops. I'm active and on my feet a lot and have weak arches and I've been wearing this brand for years and years, they have a contour that aligns the heel and arch in order to support the foot and leg to the hip. The plastic ones are very cushioned and last a really long time. The popularity of the brand now they've released leather & cork sandals that I find to be very unforgiving though the support is still there (can't wear Birks for this reason - not cushiony enough).
#78 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
We need to do a big grocery shop - that seems to be our major failing right now.

6/1 - Groceries ($5) and eating lunch out ($9)
6/2 - Nada
6/3 - Eating lunch out ($20) and paying for DH's transcripts ($6)
6/4 - Nada
6/5 - Ran out of honey so bought bulk honey and bulk beans ($65)
6/6 - Nada
6/7 - Got dishwasher tabs ($8) and produce for supper ($6)
6/8 - Nada
6/9 - Salsa, sour cream and cheese for supper ($10)
6/10 - Nada
6/11 - Nada
6/12 - Milk and cheese and antacids ($18)
6/13 - Eggs and seasonings ($5)
6/14 - Onion powder to make homemade ranch ($2)
6/15 - Nada
6/16 - Nada
6/17 - Kids gone, got fried chicken ($8)
6/18 - Kids gone, got DQ ($22)
6/19 - Nada
pumabearclan likes this.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings, and my writing (as Selina Wolfcat & Sarah Buhrman).
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#79 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Wolfcat you are logging about 50% of your days spend-free
#80 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I have read most of this thread. Good to all of you for being mindful of your spending.

My goal yrs ago when I first married and bought a house was to do what the Mormons do - keep yrs supply of preserved food on hand - canned, bottled, packaged. I have managed, at long last to do this, after 39 yrs! I have my sprinklers and lights on a timer.

Which means I could just hole up in the house and not leave for a yr. Wonder if my neighbors would notice?
Ragana and pumabearclan like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get - eczema, allergies, diabetes, petit/gran mal seizures, GBS, TPI, POTS, JRA, RA, CFS, SLE, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

#81 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yep Wolfcat it looks like you're doing no spend on half the days plus only groceries on the others. Nice job! I'm absolutely not doing that well this month LOL

I'm overall happy with my spending so far this month though. I should be saving more but at least we're still taking care of the important stuff. I do need to get my butt in gear and be more strict with the money though. *sigh*
pumabearclan likes this.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#82 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 05:39 PM

I am doing pretty good with no spend! We did drive today to the beach but it cost 0$
Which is a good thing because I have exactly 14.23$ in my account till payday...But everything is paid 😁
pumabearclan likes this.
#83 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

The temps are way too hot to make dinner, i took the easy way out and went to salad place for supper. $25 for two with coupon. Its too hot here, my a/c cant keep up in the condo. I have it set at 78 and its working all day to stay at 81, the fans are on, the blinds are pulled shut. There is nothing else to do when the temp are 120*plus.

i wore those new sneakers to dinner and i've noticed that my back/legs/feet dont hurt. so yeah on the shoes. ((I also noticed other people in sneakers so there must be something to them lol)

tonights plan is to watch some teevee and crochet. actually that is the plan for most of the week. Kid has art club tomorrow night and we need ice after that.

#84 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The temps are way too hot to make dinner, i took the easy way out and went to salad place for supper. $25 for two with coupon. Its too hot here, my a/c cant keep up in the condo. I have it set at 78 and its working all day to stay at 81, the fans are on, the blinds are pulled shut. There is nothing else to do when the temp are 120*plus.

i wore those new sneakers to dinner and i've noticed that my back/legs/feet dont hurt. so yeah on the shoes. ((I also noticed other people in sneakers so there must be something to them lol)

tonights plan is to watch some teevee and crochet. actually that is the plan for most of the week. Kid has art club tomorrow night and we need ice after that.
Zebra....I totally believe in the shoe/joints/ect....I work a factory job 6-7 days a week and need good shoes that I replace just about every 4 months for those very reasons...even if the shoes still look good once the soles/bands break they are no good for work anymore...
Glad you are getting some relief! Hopefully you will get some cooler air soon!
#85 of 104 Old 06-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Ooookaaaaay. "No spen" turned into something different, but I kept it frugalish. I got a grilled cheese and fries at the local burger joint 'cause I had nothing for lunch and was late getting out the door, but even with a plate of extra tomato on the side (ooooh yeah... with salt and pepper... mmmmm-M!) it amounted to $6.50 + tip. Sometimes you just gotta have a nice melty American cheese thing on (faux)-buttery sourdough.

Then I had to have a dinner break, and bought a .99 bean burrito. I would have bought the bigger one, but I snuck a peak at the calorie count and saw it had 650 calories. Zoiks!

So not bad, kinda sorta.

I had to go shopping yesterday for a couple things, but at stores that didn't trigger my anger/anxiety. I need to stop by Costco, but was feeling pretty raw, it was Saturday and the girls hate Costco, too. So I felt relieved to set that aside for a better (quieter) day.
applejuice and pumabearclan like this.

#86 of 104 Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

planning to spend a few dollars while kid is at summer art club tonight. i do NOT want to wait in the ch*rch lobby for 90 mins so i will probably head somewhere with my yarn and get a soda.
We are still boiling here, roasting, frying, sauteing, and anything else you can think of. My A/c simply can not keep up. The thing ran all day yesterday and i watched the inside temp rise. I can not imagine what next months bill is going to be.

Skipped breakfast it was hot. THinking of fruit and yogurt for lunch. No clue about dinner.

#87 of 104 Old 06-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
We are still boiling here, roasting, frying, sauteing, and anything else you can think of. My A/c simply can not keep up. The thing ran all day yesterday and i watched the inside temp rise. I can not imagine what next months bill is going to be.
We are in SoCal while my husband is in a training conference and it's pretty awful here. It's actually much cooler in MX where we live now! I am not going out at all during the day, not even to use the pool, I did a few times and it was like having a hot iron lying on your head. Unless you can stay under water for a very long time

In MX we have an evaporative cooler. It's really low-tech and very effective. Have you considered installing one? Compared to AC it's muuuuch cheaper. I also like the quality of the cooling because it's moist air and we are living in an arid climate. If you're in an arid part of the SW I can't recommend it highly enough. It's about the cost of running 6 house fans and keeps the house at 75-85.

Cool baths and siestas are good too.

I'm watching This Angry Age on youtube in the hotel room. What are you crocheting lately?
#88 of 104 Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Im making a couple shawls, one is gray/black and one is rainbow. I rent in a condo development so there is no chance of evap-cooling.
Kid has art club in an hour so i have to go out soon, i was planning on staying out for the 90 min session but the more i think about it the more i want to drop him, come home for an hour and go back out. there is basketball games at the ch*rch and that is going to give me a headache. plus ch*rch poeple are going to want to talk and i dont talk ch*rch.

#89 of 104 Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Im making a couple shawls, one is gray/black and one is rainbow
Neat, sounds beautiful
#90 of 104 Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Missed a couple of days but plodding along.

6/19: $280, groceries and gardening supplies
6/20: $9.00, ice cream cones for kiddos

Not a great month, but getting in this habit is more helpful than I can explain.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page