JUNE low/no spend - Mothering Forums

53Likes

#1 of 104 Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
JUNE low/no spend

Summer is here- come join us for some fun and low/no spend ideas. no drive days, meal planning, and idea sharing.
Ragana and Neera like this.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 104 Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Woohoo new month! Finished paying all the set bills for June today. All that's left in the budget for this month are flexible expenses (gas, groceries, household, etc). I need to track all these so I can start finding ways to save money. I am going to need to work on meal planning and also go back to keeping an actual written list of household needs/wants to track this spending.

I expect a lot of driving this month since our activities pick up in the summer. I need to be mindful of this to combine trips where possible and meal plan around the schedule. More time out of the house means more stupid food/drink purchases on the run. I might want to seriously consider budgeting in a car fridge/cooler...

Jun 1: PROJECTED leave the house day; misc/household expenses plus some groceries
Jun 2: PROJECTED Doctor's appointment ($45); lab work ???; ....

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#3 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

6/1 drive day, dr appt
6/2 drive day- car to dealer for a/c work. not sure if warranty or if i will have to pay.
6/3 drive day, appt
6/4 grocery day
6/5 sunday, hoping not to drive
crazyms likes this.

#4 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Hello, June! Let's start this! (Pant pant pant... tired already just thinking of all that enthusiasm.)

Luckily, I bought a ton of stuff yesterday, including 200 lbs of various critter vittles, so today is a blank slate. Convenient... I have fewer hours on my Tuesday working in town, and this will give me more time to shop. XH has been stuck with all the shopping due to his being in town more, and he's terrible at it, making him need to do it more often which is tiring for him, and I am bad at lists. So I think this arrangement will be better for the family in all ways.

That change, coupled with hopefully more focus on eating from the garden and basic staples will pull us out of this nosedive. Of course, summer is never easy, what with travel and all that. (Not incidentally, I need practice keeping meals and food very basic as I will be moving to my own place no later than next spring break, possibly around the new year.)

6/1 I'm staying home, not driving anywhere. XH is bringing home a very small handful of necessary groceries I forgot or wasn't able to pick up.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#5 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
6/1 drive day, dr appt
6/2 drive day- car to dealer for a/c work. not sure if warranty or if i will have to pay.
6/3 drive day, appt
6/4 grocery day
6/5 sunday, hoping not to drive
Ooooh... you are PLANNING. That ups the ante. Hmm. Let's see if I can do something like that. Sometime. Today. Maybe. (I am already on a crash course for failure, or else my brain is protesting the new "exercise" regimen.)
Ragana and crazyms like this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#6 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok, I need to join for this month! I need to trim grocery spending this month, I mean, I need to every month but this month especially because we went over so much last month! We need to stay home more also.

6/1- drove kids to a class, dh is bringing home groceries
crazyms likes this.

Homeschooling mama to Kylan (11yo), Everest (9yo), Bodhi (5yo), and Meadow (18mo)
#7 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

This is getting expensive. Tomorrow involves a rental car, dropping my car at the dealer (still no magical powers came and fixed the a/c), i have an emergency dr appt, and no one knows if the car is under warranty for a/c issues or not. I want to cry.
Today i had a dr appt and went to the lab. I am less than impressed with the dr and every time i see her i tell myself 'this will be the last time' and i am going to find someone on my insurance.
Neera likes this.

#8 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM

@zebra15 Oh car troubles suck! I hope it gets fixed and on the warranty! Good luck finding a new doctor. I know how difficult that is. I'm currently trying to find doctors for all of us.

@SweetSilver
@*green*faery*
Welcome! I nearly always fail my goals with these threads but they are a ton of fun and really helpful!

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#9 of 104 Old 06-01-2016, 10:14 PM

Boy I'm off to a great start ugh:

Jun 1: Gas: $38.20. Dinner out with dh $7.67. Clothing/personal items: $129.82. Groceries: $70.84.
Jun 2: PROJECTED Doctor's appointment ($45); lab work ?; small grocery purchases
Jun 3: No drive
Jun 4: Possibly a drive day... kids' wood workshop penciled in just not sure if we'll do it
Jun 5: Definite drive day and likely lots of crazy spending. My brother is coming in from out of state. That sound is my budget is crying.

Ugh just looking at today and the rest of the week makes me sad. I have a feeling this month isn't going to be a lovely as I'd hoped. I'm trying to console myself with the personal expenses being very rare and well deserved plus "needed" items and the spending because of my brother coming is only a once or twice a year thing so.... yeah I'm pep talking myself

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#10 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 08:42 AM

Tomorrow we might go swimming, so I'll have to plan some expenses around that. But basically we should be good until Monday. I need to rent a storage unit. I need to borrow/rent some feral cat traps and get all these cats fixed once and for all.

June 1: handful of groceries

June 2: should be nothing today; drive to 4-H
June 3: swimming, some expenses anticipated
June 4: anticipating nothing
June 5: today I work; same

#11 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hi! I completely need to join in this month. We're traveling part of this month. In the past it's always been easy to throw caution to the wind at travel times. I really, really want to curb this desire since I'm also working on the Dave Ramsey steps at the same time. I've already set all the bills to pay. I'm currently working on a budget for our trip and the rest of our month.

This week I'm planning to eat from the fridge/freezer. I'm also planning to start making our Father's Day cards. I will go to the library today too instead of purchasing books.

I'm excited to take this journey with you!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#12 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

The car is NOT under warranty- how silly of me to think such a thing. Good news is i was able to get a courtesy loaner. I'm waiting for a call about an estimate to fix. $90 for diagnositis is a sure thing.

I have yet another dr appt this afternoon, covered by insurance this time. Rash of unknown origin that has caused me to scratch thru the skin. Probably needed attention sooner but so be it.

My wallet is crying and its only the 2nd of the month.

#13 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 01:23 PM

Jun 1: Gas: $38.20. Dinner out with dh $7.67. Clothing/personal items: $129.82. Groceries: $70.84.
Jun 2: No spend/no drive
Jun 3: Possible grocery shopping...
Jun 4: Possibly a drive day... kids' wood workshop penciled in just not sure if we'll do it
Jun 5: Definite drive day and likely lots of crazy spending. My brother is coming in from out of state.

Doctor's appt got canceled today due to rain and flooded roads. They rescheduled us for next Thursday.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#14 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

The car dealer called, after a day of diagnosis and putzing, the car seems fine. The tech cant find a single thing wrong with it and the a/c that didnt work on my drive to the dealer has been working all dang day for them. They are going to keep it over night and re-check tomorrow. So far no cost expect possibly a $90 diag. fee which I'm totally fine paying. While I'm glad this seems to be little to no expense for me right now, i'm hesitant that a larger problem isnt looming with the car. AND i do not want to be with out a/c in another day or 2 and have to do this all over again.

#15 of 104 Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 PM

XH is driving the girls to 4-H as he came home very early and the girls asked and I didn't object and now I get to stay home this evening, go for a walk, call a long distance friend I haven't spoken with in a few of months...

Here is what I expect tomorrow:

Pay for a storage locker I need-- $60 per month.
Pick up about 3 skeins of yarn for my daughter's afghan
A small handful of groceries
Period supplies for my 11.5yo daughter so she is prepared
The girls are going to want snacks and lunch out
Swimming-- $11

They might want to go to their favorite girly shop to spend their allowances. Normally my girls aren't big on what other girls tend to like, but they do like jewelry. It's gonna be interesting watching them grow up. I hate malls and this kind of shopping, so there is zero temptation for me here and I will want to get out of there ASAP (the knitting store, on the other hand... )

June 2: handful of snacks for girls; drive to 4-H

crazyms likes this.

#16 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm in ! I probably wont post much but these threads always motivate me.
was planning on eating out tonight but on second thought I think I'll pack a picnic.
Ragana and Neera like this.
#17 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyfaith View Post
was planning on eating out tonight but on second thought I think I'll pack a picnic.
Same here, emilyfaith - These threads are very motivating!

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#18 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyfaith View Post

I had a craving to eat out tonight especially since I had an anxious day at work, that's when I want to throw caution to the wind. But still here and staying in. I am still craving eating something tasty. Let's see what I can conjure.

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.
#19 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 04:58 PM

I was thinking about eating out also but decided not to. If I don't go out to eat this has been a no drive, no spend day so.... I'm thinking it's going to be a fend for yourself night instead. Dh and the kids will each have some noodles or a sandwich. I'll either make a sandwich or maybe I'll get motivated and cook some breakfast for dinner. Yep actually typing that made me want it. Breakfast for dinner it is!

Oh in other notes I got my old laptop up and running again! It had died after catching a virus. I downloaded Ubuntu and got it booted up. I love this! So much simpler and easier to use then Microsoft. I could see all of my computers getting an overhaul now.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#20 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
I had a craving to eat out tonight especially since I had an anxious day at work, that's when I want to throw caution to the wind. But still here and staying in. I am still craving eating something tasty. Let's see what I can conjure.
This is absolutely my WORST habit. I have started trying really hard to ask myself to double-check whether I should get something or can wait until I get home. I'm getting better, but it's still a struggle.

I don't even know for 6/1 and 6/2. I didn't spend much -- $8 or so on 6/2 for something for my daughter's class. School ends here on 6/9, and we end up with a lot of expenses around this time.

Today, I spent $15 on some materials at the local teachers' store because my son needs to do some remedial work over the summer. I also had to get new glasses, but luckily I could use our flex card for that. I also got $10 in gas, which should last a bit since I don't drive far.

Weekends are killers here. Tomorrow I have to pick up my glasses (so no additional expense), and then DD and I are going to a summer writing club that I'm helping coordinate. It's at a local library, so it's free. We have plenty of food here -- no need to eat anything out. On Sunday, DH has an optometry appointment. Other than that, we're spending the weekend cleaning and doing some yardwork (mowing, trimming, etc., so we shouldn't spend anything). I will have to go out Sunday for a few grocery items, but I'm hoping I can limit it to $30.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#21 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 PM

Well, today had some unexpected but not indulgent expenses. Here were the extras:

*Car wash/vacuum (I had this planned in general) --$10
*Cheap-o sunglasses (I've been needing a pair and found some styl-y ones. Cheap because I *never wear them* unless there's a possibilitymy eyes will get seared and death ensues. $10ish
*Some sorbet on our out-and-about downtown (it was fun, what the hey.) --$10ish
*Reading glasses from the grocery store. Finally, something I needed. --$22ish

Everything else went as planned. I did spend a bit, but all was anticipated. XH got another handful of groceries we weren't able to get yesterday.

Quote:

Last edited by SweetSilver; 06-03-2016 at 06:42 PM.
#22 of 104 Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well after 2 days at the dealer there is NOTHING wrong with my car. The a/c is working fine for them. The mechanic tore the entire system apart TWICE and can't find a darn thing wrong with the a/c. Isn't this always how things work. At least there isn't any ANY charge for this car nonsense. The loaner vehicle was no charge and the dealership isnt charging for the diagnostic test or the mechanic for 2 days. They said if the a/c isnt working properly to bring the car back and they will continue to work on it. Well.. it was 115 degrees today you can bet i will be back LOL. So far tonight no problems and full force AC. fingers crossed.

I had a dr appt today and paid her current. Phewy that was expensive but expected. Hoping to stay pretty current with her this month. Tonight I got a number of RX from target, no cost but picked up some snacks for kiddo $15.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping and its going to be a whopper of a trip. I'm aligning coupons tonight with store sales and looking in the pantry to see exactly what we have (nothing). I also placed an amazon order for a couple gluten free things yesterday and k-cups.

#23 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Jumping in because we need to be tight with money and stop bleeding it out.

6/4-$63 grocery for the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#24 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM

@zebra15 That's great! Let's hope that ac holds!

Jun 3: No drive. Put $900 on cc's last night.
Jun 4: No spend, no drive.

Jun 5: Drive & spend day - brother is visiting. We pick him up from the airport then I've planned to attend the (free) rock & mineral fair at the natural sci museum and maybe the hike there. Not sure what else. Definitely eating out though ughhhhhhh

Jun 6: UU church meeting; time with brother
Jun 7: Kids golf clinic; kids tennis lessons
Jun 8: Kids golf clinic
Jun 9: Dr appt; nutritionist appt; kids tennis lesson
Jun 10: Brother leaves town... possibly going into the city to see him off?

Long week ahead!

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#25 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 PM

6/1-drove kids to a class, dh bought groceries
6/2- drove to last day off class, dh bought more groceries (he works at a grocery store)
6/3- no drive, dh bought stuff at Home Depot to finish chicken coop
6/4- no drive, dh had to get more at Home Depot *sign*

I was planning on only spending $200 on groceries this week, but since we went over last month and some carried over, we have spent $250. On Mon we will buy a couple things for ds birthday breakfast and dinner, otherwise trying not to buy more.

Homeschooling mama to Kylan (11yo), Everest (9yo), Bodhi (5yo), and Meadow (18mo)
#26 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 PM

Tomorrow I work and anticipate no expenses.
Monday and Tuesday I have some spending planned. More on that later.
Wednesday will be home babysitting, but expect XH to bring home groceries.

Quote:
June 3: swimming; some expenses; couple of indulgences; handful of groceries
June 4: NOTHING

#27 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

a/c was $470.00. Was dead this am when i started the car, took it straight to the dealer, since it wasn't working they were able to determine what was wrong. Fixed it today. Long day but at least I have ICE COLD FULL BLAST a/c now. Unfortuanetly I need to call 'home' for a signficant amount of money to make it thru this month. yes i realize its only the 4th. But with tires at the end of last month and now a/c, im running over 1k in unexpected car expenses.

#28 of 104 Old 06-04-2016, 09:14 PM

I used to live in Vegas, and I remember driving my '76 Ford Maverick around, no A/C. It was brutal! But I didn't think much of it, either. Here, I'm dyin' without the A/C in the car! However, XH's truck needs a new pump, like $700 or something and I said "NO".

#29 of 104 Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Jun 3: No drive. Put $900 on cc's last night.
Jun 4: No spend, no drive.
Jun 5: McDonald's $10.05; Groceries @ natural food store $47.08; Sonic + tip $17.00 ; Shirt $7.45 ; Clothes and other items at Goodwill $49.47; Dinner at Walmart $12.17 = Total for the day $143.23

PROJECTED:
Jun 6: UU church meeting; time with brother
Jun 7: Kids golf clinic; kids tennis lessons
Jun 8: Kids golf clinic
Jun 9: Dr appt; nutritionist appt; kids tennis lesson
Jun 10: Brother leaves town... possibly going into the city to see him off?

Okay I'm not thrilled with this today but I guess it wasn't too bad. Without the groceries and dinner it was $83.97. The Goodwill and shirt purchases were needed clothes so only the eating out really annoyed me as unbudgeted today.
@zebra15 that really stinks about the ac but I'm glad you got it fixed and do have someone that's able to help you out for this month. Car troubles are awful.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#30 of 104 Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM

Today we are out and about a little. I expect a lunch out.
Tuesday, big shopping day.
Wednesday, hopefully nothing
Thursday, same

Quote:
June 3: swimming; some expenses; couple of indulgences; handful of groceries
June 4: NOTHING
June 5: work; a couple of forgotten things

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page