6 Months Til Christmas - Mothering Forums

14Likes

#1 of 31 Old 06-11-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
6 Months Til Christmas

Yep, it's 91 degrees out but I'm thinking about the holidays. My husband lost his job of 8 years. There goes Christmas bonus (small but helpful) and out out Turkey check. In top of that out income has shrunk. Fun times!

I already have ideas for the kids. Family? Eek, none yet but I think it's either family gifts and/or handmade this year.

My kids are 5 and 7. Their birthdays are a week before Christmas. Eek. Luckily birthdays are usually an outing of some sort.

For Christmas I'm thinking a new bedding set each (they are moving into seperate rooms this year),books, a game each (possibly just an coupon for a new Wii fan on our system), and one special item. God help me, my daughter has her heart set on a guinea pig. I may have to enlist some help with supplies to that one.

I'm not opposed to buying used so I will be hitting up the library sales in the fall.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 06-11-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Im not even thinking about it. I have so much going on between now and the end of the year. I want to ignore it all.
applejuice likes this.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#3 of 31 Old 06-11-2016, 03:49 PM

I wanted to come back and update what I am facing between now and christmas
Fathers day (june) - picked up a gift card today and will be mailing on monday- DONE
my mothers birthday day (june)- have a shawl complete, need a card
kiddo turns 16 - how did that happen (sept)
Halloween
Thanksgiving
sister bday(nov)
another bday (november)
then i can focus on xmas.
applejuice likes this.

Last edited by zebra15; 06-20-2016 at 05:59 PM.

#4 of 31 Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Well I've already gotten my mom and the kid's other grandma's xmas presents. I have an idea for gifts from the kids to everyone ($10 snow globes at hobby lobby where you can put a picture inside, if I use the 40% coupon and get them one at a time it'll be $6-7 each). I have no idea what to get my kids though.

Single, student mama 
 to 3 boys 
 and loving every minute of it.

Any time scientists disagree, it's because we have insufficient data. Then we can agree on what kind of data to get; we get the data; and the data solves the problem. Either I'm right, or you're right, or we're both wrong. And we move on. That kind of conflict resolution does not exist in politics or religion.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
#5 of 31 Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
@happyhats If you check craigslist and facebook groups you might find the guinea pig and supplies fairly cheap, sometimes even free. I've often seen them listed for $30 or so with their things. Otherwise the best guinea pig cage is what they call a C&C cage or coroplast and cube. You can buy the cube set (9 cube usually, the wire kind sold for storage) for about $20 and the coroplast can be bought in a 4x8 sheet from any local sign store for about $25.

I haven't even begun to think about the holidays yet!! Today is Father's Day and my son's birthday. After this we have:

July
- New nephew due (This will mean gifts plus an out of state trip)
- Mom's bday
Aug
- Husband's bday
- daughter's bday
Sep
- nephew's 1st bday
Oct
- sister's bday
- father's bday
Nov
I think I'm hosting the family dinner for out of state family this year so we'll see about this.
Dec
Christmas! - gifts needed for husband, 3 kids, dog, 2 cats, sister, father, mother, brother and SIL, 3 nephews.

Oh dear! My bank account cried with me just typing that. I guess I should start thinking about the holidays and get to crochet/knit/crafting!
applejuice likes this.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#6 of 31 Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 PM

survived fathers day. have to survive one bday this month which entails mailing out a present and card. then following up with a phonecall. family is complicated and i do not like it.

anyway, still in denial about xmas.
applejuice likes this.

#7 of 31 Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was just thinking about this today, and the fact that half the year is already gone.

The grandparents are easy... new pictures of the kids every year with nice frames. I take the pictures myself. I will also throw in some fancy chocolate or something like that too. TJ Maxx and Home Goods have some really good stuff for less money.

Last year I sent my brother, sister-in-law, and new nephew a years' membership to their local zoo. Maybe I will renew it for them, or do something else like that.

We don't exchange with DH's brothers. One of them keeps to himself and doesn't do that kind of stuff. He hasn't spoken to his other brother in almost two years so...

DH and I do not exchange gifts for Xmas. We focus on kids. So for the kids, we'll see. I started preparing for Xmas in August/September for the last three years or so, and that is only a few months away. Kids are getting older so I predict the amount of gifts will start to be less, but more expensive. One kid doesn't believe in Santa anymore so that actually takes some pressure off. We have 2 kids. Honestly, I think I am going to erase this from my mind. Just trying to make it through the summer right now.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 31 Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Newly single mom here. Not sure how much I will get yet in support, but I imagine I'm going to have a hard time with bills, so presents are going to be small this year.
I will be keeping my eyes out at garage sales and thrift stores for newish looking toys. I also have a cache of toys that I've bought from the clearance section. I'll have to check and see if there's anything age appropriate.
I'll probably do pictures of the kids and edible gifts for my parents. Like me, they have too much stuff.
applejuice likes this.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#9 of 31 Old 07-04-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started thinking about Christmas weeks ago!!

I try to pick up bargains all year long when I have a few bucks extra...it really helps...I got a dvd movie for each of my nieces and nephews months ago for 2$ a piece...when the time comes I will be happy I did!
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 31 Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the reminder! I've started on this a bit myself. I got my brother these cool socks he picked out at the art museum a few weeks ago. Right now I'm focusing on generating ideas. I have a few ideas for DH and for my dad and niece and nephew. I've stored the list on my phone so I can keep adding too it and then have it with me when I shop. This year I really want to get organized. Last year I waited too long to get gifts for my brother's family. They live out of the country and I spent a LOT on shipping. It was so silly of me. This year will be different!

I am also going to shop from the list when I feel like shopping. Sometimes I get this bug and I just want to buy something. Rather than picking up something for me, I want to buy something off the list. I can save $ and avoid buying something I don't need this way.

Good luck everyone!
applejuice likes this.

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#11 of 31 Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 AM

RIght now I'm working on kiddo bday (beginning of Sept). He will be 16- HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? I have no idea what to get him, he will not be driving, his choice so... im a bit stumped for presents. We will do a dinner or 2 out to celebrate but he still wants presents. I ordered a few little things on amazon prime day and free smartwool socks with a coupon to zappos. I think he wants a lego set and possibly a video game. ;(
applejuice likes this.

#12 of 31 Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
RIght now I'm working on kiddo bday (beginning of Sept). He will be 16- HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? I have no idea what to get him, he will not be driving, his choice so... im a bit stumped for presents. We will do a dinner or 2 out to celebrate but he still wants presents. I ordered a few little things on amazon prime day and free smartwool socks with a coupon to zappos. I think he wants a lego set and possibly a video game. ;(
My L has a Birthday coming soon too! She wants Roller Skates among other things 😊 Lol She saw a girl in Walmart last week skating in the store! The girl had those shoes that have wheels in them...I thought L was going to swoon! So I am poking around to see what I can find 😊 I am already planning to make her favorite pumpkin pie cake...That will make my family mad!!!! 😁
#13 of 31 Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 PM

I picked up a few things for kiddo b'day. A nintendo t-shirt he will love, a video game, a book and a puzzle. I think he wants a lego set and some movies. I feel like turning 16 warrants something BIG but hes not interested in driving so...

I posted in the august spending chat about art club and circus classes for homeschool activities. I hate to call those 'bday presents'.

#14 of 31 Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I picked up a few things for kiddo b'day. A nintendo t-shirt he will love, a video game, a book and a puzzle. I think he wants a lego set and some movies. I feel like turning 16 warrants something BIG but hes not interested in driving so...

I posted in the august spending chat about art club and circus classes for homeschool activities. I hate to call those 'bday presents'.
I am going crazy trying to figure out what to get my kiddo...she will be 9...thinking about skates?? I don't know 😵
applejuice likes this.
#15 of 31 Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Mylie- how about consumables? Special bathwash/bubbles? Art supplies? Sidewalk Chalk? Hair ties/barrettes? I usually get whats on sale for J (shampoo and shower wash) but sometimes I will splurge on a special scent or a special brand. He loves the spin toothbrushes at xmas time and such.
applejuice likes this.

#16 of 31 Old 08-12-2016, 11:10 PM

I've been squirreling away trinkets here and there to fill stockings with. I know I won't have the money to do it all in one go, so I buy something when I see it and spread it out. Of course, I will have to remember where I'm hiding everything. Oh, well. Gives me a reason to clean my closet.

I can't believe we're down to 4 months away.

DS (5-11) and

(4-09)
(5-12)
#17 of 31 Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I am planning to go practical again this year. I'm just trusting that I will find the money, maybe squeezed out of my grocery budget. I plan to get my kids each a nice set of towels in their own color, a small camping lantern, and a good pair of tweezers. I'd like to get the family a good ukulele. We always get a family puzzle. Other than that, just trinkets and things like chocolate/nuts/fruit, I guess. It's going to be a smaller pile this year than in the past, but I don't think that is problematic for the kids. They also get Christmas with their dad two days later, anyway.

- homeschooling mom to four teens
#18 of 31 Old 08-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After I get past DD's birthday in a couple of weeks, I'll start thinking about Christmas. She has a list a mile long, and I've told her it isn't going to happen for most of it.

I'm thinking of trying to get her a new mattress for Christmas with GC off Amazon. Hers is about 12 years old, weighs a ton, and really doesn't work in her loft bed. Plus then her old mattress could move down for a spare bed for sleepovers {the mattress is ok, just old and heavy}.
#19 of 31 Old 09-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Ok, I am ready to be in total denial. My baby is turning 16 this weekend and then the rush of the holidays begins. Something every month Sept- December. Ugh...

#20 of 31 Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been planning for Christmas for months now lol I have figured out what most people will be getting and made of list for what I would like to get my daughters. I have even started to buy a few small things. I am very excited for Christmas its my youngest daughters first Christmas this year.
#21 of 31 Old 11-04-2016, 08:57 PM

I started xmas shopping. First official present arrived today. Ugh. I am so not ready for this.

#22 of 31 Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Does anyone have any good frugal teacher gift ideas? It wouldn't be too bad, but my daughter has around 5 or 6, and my son has a teacher as well. It could get spendy fast if I went the Starbucks route.

DS (5-11) and

(4-09)
(5-12)
#23 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Do you sew or do any other craft? I usually make teacher presents. Last year I did tote bags. This year I'm doing zippered pouches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
small plants?

Homemade cookies? A container of cocoa? A home-made card? (could be something like a potato print)
#25 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 AM

FIVE weeks to go.

How on earth did we get to FIVE weeks til the dang holiday? I am not ready.
I need to ship a box tomorrow for 2 birthdays next week. I need to still get a giftcard and pack the box today.
I have a couple presents for kid and he finally gave me a list but I am not in the mood yet.

I want this entire fiasco to be over...

#26 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 PM

I do sew a bit, and make some crafts. Tote bags and zippered pouches sound really nice! A small plant might be the best bet for me, as I do have succulents I could pot in cute containers. Thanks for the great ideas!
katelove likes this.

DS (5-11) and

(4-09)
(5-12)
#27 of 31 Old 11-17-2016, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post
I do sew a bit, and make some crafts. Tote bags and zippered pouches sound really nice! A small plant might be the best bet for me, as I do have succulents I could pot in cute containers. Thanks for the great ideas!

That sounds lovely. I saw some beautiful ones potted in pretty tea cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mamapigeon likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#28 of 31 Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 AM

10 Days until Christmas. how is everyone doing? I am done shopping. I need to get wrapping. I actually am having a decent holiday season all things considered this year.

#29 of 31 Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I feel like

one of those animals that gets trapped by a hunter and has to chew a leg off to escape.

We were fighting the city over some repairs we did to our house, the owner of the next door is an a-hole who refused to sign some basic forms so we could get through the process until just about 1 month before xmas (we have been asking him for possibly 2 years). Just when we thought this was done with, the city says they still want us to pay $500 (1 week before xmas, yah thanks) even though I would say at least 75 percent of the blame (for dragging this on for 3 years) lays on their shoulders for being stupid jerks. And we have to pay for lawyers as well.

I'm trying to get my drivers license and not only have we had tons of snow, but I just found out that the drive test centre fails half of the candidates right off the bat. Yes!! I'm really looking forward to my test NEXT WEEK the earliest date they could give me.

My nephew also accidentally broke my sons computer about 1 month ago so we had to pay to replace that as well.

To cap it all off my hubby has been sick since the fall and has worked sporadically, the outside of our house is unfinished and now can't be finished because of the weather and hubby feeling ill, and we are having everyone here for xmas. Oh and my parents in a preparation in event of our deaths thing have been purging everything and gave me a sh-ton of stuff to try to sell right before xmas which I haven't been able to sell, and now I've got to get it the hell out of our living space somehow on top of cleaning the entire house and baking cookies.

And because money is going away from us at a hundred miles a minute I will have no money to buy seating for our living room which remains virtually unfurnished AGAIN. Blerghhh. At least we have a small house so it's not so horrible really. Maybe I should have bought a really huge xmas tree to compensate LOL.

Trying put a positive spin on things but it also looks like our oven is failing (not properly coming to temperature/heat just turning off mid bake).. did I mention we are cooking xmas dinner and I'm trying to bake cookies? The top works OK, fry the turkey? And the handle of our microwave which I don't use much has had it's handle ripped off by my hubby (I suspect) pulling hard at one spot over and over. It was already ugly but now we will have to replace it as it's also the stove exhaust.

Falalalala LAH!!! (maniacallyLOL)

Oh and my hubby is trying to do taxes NOW LOL LOLLOLLLOOLLLLLLL Sorry going a little crazy
#30 of 31 Old 12-18-2016, 04:49 PM

I started wrapping today. I am actually in a festive mood. The year end is a time when I like to take a bit of 'inventory' of what we have, what we may need and star to organize and clean out. The way I start that process is with the wrapping.

I was able to use up 2 end of roll wrapping paper and a bit of ribbon today. This is all progress toward my possible goal of not renewing this lease at the end of next year so the goal is much less to move in Jan 2018.

I got about 1/3 of the things wrapped and will do more tomorrow. Tonight I am making kiddo dinner and sitting on the couch working on the blanket i need to finish for under the tree.

This weekend I went to costco and sams club as a 2017 stock up- in prep for my 'no buy' year. Not much but a few things. I also did the last of the grocery shopping for 2016/ the next 2 weekends are holidays and I don't want to be at the store.

I hope everyone has what they need for the holiday. I hope everyone is safe and warm. Enjoy your kids and relax.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page