July Pantry Eating - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

6Likes

#31 of 52 Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Mylie- i will have to try that yogurt. I was doing the Silk brand but got tired of the taste.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Mylie- i will have to try that yogurt. I was doing the Silk brand but got tired of the taste.
WalMart is carrying it now. Right next to the Silk...We couldn't ever do Silk...L is allergic to soy...
#33 of 52 Old 07-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
Its So Delicious...it isn't as thick as dairy yogurt but they have a good taste 😋 She is loving this new flavor Strawberry Banana...I can't keep it in the house! I bought 5 they other day and they are gone already! She is already begging for more but I had to tell her no...I just can't buy anymore groceries until the week after next...sigh...rent..

Did a no buy/spend today....For Supper I made French toast..Had some leftover so L can have for her breakfast!Tomorrow lunches will be peanut butter and strawberry jam for me and Strawberry jam and butter for L..she hates peanut butter 😵
I'll have to try that. They have good ice cream so.....

My boyfriend's son HAAAAATES peanut butter. He gags at the smell. My kids think he's nuts. They would eat dog crap if it was covered in peanut butter.

So dinner was ham pulled from the freezer with salad, canned cranberry sauce, homemade dinner rolls, and cucumbers. We splurged on ice cream for dessert because it had been a really long time since we'd done anything like that.

Breakfast tomorrow is leftover waffles from the freezer or granola with almond milk. Dinner they will be with dad and I'm making my boyfriend cook for us.

#34 of 52 Old 07-22-2016, 02:56 AM

The So Delicious ice creams are GOOD!! We like the cashew milk flavors...L adores the Snickerdoodle flavor...I like the Chocolate Truffle and Salted Caramel Nut 😋 They are pretty $$ so they are rare treats but much enjoyed!
#35 of 52 Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Yeah seriously. They are pricey. But occasionally they go on sale for like 2 for $7. I buy two then of course. I like the mint chocolate chip one. Salted caramel nut sounds totally up my alley though.

I made homemade vegan mac and cheese with frozen broccoli for my oldest daughter's birthday dinner. Sweet 16. We have to run out to the store for almond milk so we are getting a small thing of almonds and making almond cherry overnight oats for breakfast tomorrow. I found a link on pinterest for overnight oats like 7 different ways so we plan on trying them out to use up the container of rolled oats we've got.

We are packing sandwiches and baby carrots and the last few blueberries to go to a Sunflower Festival in Connecticut tomorrow for my daughter's birthday. Should be a great day. We are splurging on homemade ice cream next door to the farm that does the festival. I had it a year ago when I met my sister there to go hiking and it was AMAZING!!! Can't wait to do it again. Should be a $20 day I'm thinking.

Dinner will be leftovers. Lentils and jasmine rice with carmelized onions. Ham and mac and cheese. Whatever else we can scrounge up.

#36 of 52 Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 PM

I went to Meijer's today and spent 30$...ouch !!!
But I got df cheeses, gf pop tarts, chicken sausages,2 Daiya pizzas, salad stuff and fruit...L was so happy for the pizza 😋 I was going to make a gluten dairy free macaroni and cheese casserole for dinner but she begged...lol...guess it will be for tomorrow 😁

Its so hot that all I want is salad,fruit and ice...
#37 of 52 Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Got a call earlier for a family birthday dinner for my niece who turned 16 for later today at my moms 😐 talk about notice...

So I am going to take that gfdf mac and cheese casserole as my contribution and ensure L has a yummy meal she likes..I will round it out with salad and broccoli...an udis lemon muffin with frosting and a frozen strawberry banana yogurt cup in lieu of the cake and ice cream she can't have...

As long as I don't openly say hey this is gluten and dairy free that mac and cheese will be eaten by my family like a pack of wolves! One mention and they wouldn't touch it 😐
#38 of 52 Old 07-24-2016, 04:35 PM

I am having crackers and veggies for dinner. Kid is having left overs. Way too hot to be cooking anything new today.
Mylie- you family sounds like mine, will devour anything until you tell them what it is, then they act you are trying to poison them.

#39 of 52 Old 07-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I am having crackers and veggies for dinner. Kid is having left overs. Way too hot to be cooking anything new today.
Mylie- you family sounds like mine, will devour anything until you tell them what it is, then they act you are trying to poison them.

That mac and cheese pan was scraped clean!!! And your right Zebra!!! My family acts exactly like that!! Should of seen the faces when Lily came in and scooped some on her plate...they knew then....lol
#40 of 52 Old 07-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Mylie- what did your family think- you were going to bring foods your child was not able to eat? Some people.. sheezez.

#41 of 52 Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Mylie- what did your family think- you were going to bring foods your child was not able to eat? Some people.. sheezez.
Actually yes, they do...
Up until 2 years ago they fully expected me to buy a store bought cake for her birthday even though they knew she couldn't eat it..

I just flat out refuse now...
#42 of 52 Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Breakfast- yogurt, granola, OJ
Lunch- cracker sandwiches, chips, iced coffee
Dinner- kiddo will have terriaki pork roast with potatoes and veggies, I have no idea what I'm going to have

#43 of 52 Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 PM

mylie, forgive me but your family are a bunch of asshats. You do you honey. Don't you give two seconds of thought to what they want or expect from you.

Breakfast:
- leftover pancakes from the freezer. english muffins from the freezer with peanut butter(I fed 5 kids and my boyfriend this morning). I had overnight oats with unsweetened almond milk and strawberry rhubarb jam.
-lunch was leftover caesar salad for me and some pineapple. my boyfriend fed my olest and his kids pizza and my little two ate free lunch at camp.
-dinner was a combo of leftovers: caesar salad with ham on top, homemade mac and cheese, frozen breaded fish filet. I also made jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk and cinnamon with cut up pineapple. It was SO GOOD. I'm having that for breakfast tomorrow too.
artemis33 likes this.

#44 of 52 Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM

7/27
skipped breakfast
running errands so will grab some lunch out with kiddo as a special treat
dinner is left overs
found some GF/DF icecream in the freezer, planning that for tonight too. yummmm

#45 of 52 Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
7/27
skipped breakfast
running errands so will grab some lunch out with kiddo as a special treat
dinner is left overs
found some GF/DF icecream in the freezer, planning that for tonight too. yummmm
I don't understand this statement. You FOUND this ice cream???? Like.....you forgot you had ice cream????? Does not compute.

Kids ate cereal and milk today for breakfast. I had a can of chana masala from the food pantry over some rice for lunch. Dinner is peanut butter sandwiches and some blackberries(food pantry) at the beach. Tomorrow we pack the uhaul for the new house. Hopefully meals will get exciting again once all my utensils and plates and food isn't packed up in boxes anymore.
artemis33 likes this.

#46 of 52 Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM

"Found icecream"- I ususally don't eat icecream, even GF/DF so it gets shoved to the back of the freezer, now SORBET that is a totally different story lol.

Today is more leftovers.

Happy vibes for the move Justmama.

ETA- made GF sugar cookies this afternoon.... yummy
artemis33 likes this.

Last edited by zebra15; 07-28-2016 at 01:18 PM.
#47 of 52 Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=justmama;19499753]mylie, forgive me but your family are a bunch of asshats. You do you honey. Don't you give two seconds of thought to what they want or expect from you.

I do....it gets frustrating and a bit lonely at times but I stand firm..I stopped expecting anything from anyone a long time ago...

We had pizza and salad for Supper tonight...I splurged on a Daiya pizza for the monkey child...they are good but a rare treat!
#48 of 52 Old 07-30-2016, 09:51 AM

Orange juice for breakfast. Fridge is looking bare again. Groceries today, hoping to keep it to a minimum. I need to get the obvious produce and juice and diet coke (for me).

#49 of 52 Old 07-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Got to the store yesterday for some basics and produce.
Mylie- I found your yogurt, it is very yummy and very expensive, even on sale ;( definitely a treat item.

Last day of July, time for a pantry push today...

Breakfast- OJ , banana, yogurt
Lunch- deli crackers
Dinner- pork chops, left over sides
Night time treat- icecream/ frozen fruit bars

Plan for the week- use up left overs and have zero food waste.

#50 of 52 Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Got to the store yesterday for some basics and produce.
Mylie- I found your yogurt, it is very yummy and very expensive, even on sale ;( definitely a treat item.

Last day of July, time for a pantry push today...

Breakfast- OJ , banana, yogurt
Lunch- deli crackers
Dinner- pork chops, left over sides
Night time treat- icecream/ frozen fruit bars

Plan for the week- use up left overs and have zero food waste.
How much? At the local grocery its almost 3$ a yogurt...but at my WalMart its 1.58$ a yogurt...
I put a few in the freezer and L loves having frozen yogurt cups when others are eating ice cream 😋

I just made a run to the dollar store....we were out of trash bags, laundry soap and bleach cleaning spray...its a must for my bathroom...I am a fanatic about a clean bathroom.....so about 12$ but those should last several weeks...

For breakfast tho morning I made toast with butter and strawberry jam and avacodo slices...strawberry banana smoothie..
For lunch I made some chicken and rice and peaches..

For Supper L is wanting Macaroni and Cheese so I will make some Brussel Sprouts to go with...
#51 of 52 Old 07-31-2016, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garden produce starting coming in recently, so I will be buying way less of that at the store. DD is milk obsessed though, so I'm stuck using 3 gallons a week. I don't even have a full cup in a week. I've had to stop buying organic milk because it's too expensive. I'll buy it again someday.

The kids have been kind of picky this summer, which is making it hard to cook cheap meals. Their favorite is pizza, so sometimes I make homemade, or buy a 4 pack at Costco for $10. With garden veggies, it's an okay price per person. I need to make a huge batch of waffles again, so we have a cheap breakfast.
artemis33 likes this.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#52 of 52 Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done pretty well over the past few weeks, but my garden produce input to the freezer is exceeding my output now, which is a problem I need to focus harder on. As long as I stay home and avoid shopping I do great! I bought more convenience things a couple weeks ago while we were crazy busy and I was out of the house every day. it was helpful to have easy things for the girls to snack on (bagels and cream cheese, yogurt tubes, etc). If I had planned better though I probably could have made home made versions of (or substitutions for) my 'splurges'. I still spent much less than usual this month even though I wasn't as minimalist as I had hoped.

I plan to continue through August and hit my freezer particularly hard. It is mostly planning here. Nothing in there is an instant meal so I have to figure out what I will make from scratch. That's the thing.....everything has to be so scheduled and well planned when it is all from scratch.

Also, I am programmed to stock up on items we use all the time when the are on sale so it is a challenge to pass those deals up when I see them. That is how I have been able to establish a good deep pantry....but now I need to just use it up and let it be bare for a bit and that is really hard!! Can anyone relate to that?
mamapigeon likes this.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page