July Pantry Eating - Mothering Forums

6Likes

#1 of 52 Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
July Pantry Eating

Anyone else planning to focus on eating from the pantry (and freezer and garden) this month?

I need to save some money and I want to be able to clean out/defrost my upright freezer and reorganize my pantry this summer. It won't be a No Spend month but I want to minimize what I buy.

I picked up my weekly milk and eggs today and had planned to stop at the grocery after but once I looked over my list carefully I realized I really didn't NEED to get any of it right away. So I put it off at least until Tuesday, when I will reevaluate and see if I need anything. I am working on a list of meals I can make with what we have on hand.

Today we had:
steel cut oats w/ fruit and nuts
leftover fried rice - made from leftover bits yesterday
"egg foo young-ish" for dinner, using leftover deli ham and kale from the garden

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 52 Old 07-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
I plan to tie this into my usual no spend/no drive so if you dont mind combining the threads I'm all in.
I had to pay rent, get a new tire, pay my shrink for last month and today i need to get a few groceries, i still have the electric bill, DTV and internet to go. Hoping for lots of no drive days and more no spend days. I have a dental appt on tuesday and that is going to be VERY costly.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#3 of 52 Old 07-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
We are doing this out of necessity. We basically have been now for almost a month. We are in for July until the food runs out.

Breakfast was homemade waffles with syrup. Made a double batch and I'm putting away half for breakfasts during the week before work/camp. Lunch is assorted leftovers that the kids are making themselves because I'm all about lazy Sundays and kale salad from our container garden for me. Dinner will be a cookout for me at my boyfriend's parents' house and the girls are going with daddy overnight. I'm making brownies from scratch from pantry ingredients to bring to the cookout I'm heading to.

#4 of 52 Old 07-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm in! I need to rain in my spending. I started the envelop system on Friday for groceries and I've already spent the week's worth of $...and it's only Sunday! The good news is that fridge is fully stocked.

We had a giant breakfast so we'll likely skip lunch. For dinner I'm either going to make black bean and cheese tortillas or BBQ pork from the freezer. Tomorrow we're going to a BBQ so that will be pretty easy.

Let's do this!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#5 of 52 Old 07-03-2016, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in...at least for the next 2 weeks...

Today I made pancakes and have enough for breakfasts this week to go with oatmeal...I have plenty of pasta and sauce stuff so we will eat a lot of that kind of stuff this week and there will be plenty of leftovers for lunches...I just pd rent and electric bills so the $$ is scarce for now!
#6 of 52 Old 07-04-2016, 05:12 PM

Today we had leftovers and then burgers on the grill at my brothers...so it was a pantry/no spend day!!
I barely even drove today so I didn't use much gas 😊

Hows everyone else doing?
#7 of 52 Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 AM

This morning was kind of a disaster. I ended up having not only myself and my 3 kids but my boyfriend stayed over(he does this like once a week or twice a week) AND I ended up with two extra kids. UGH. So breakfast was a bit messy. I heated up quiche for me, the bf finished an english muffin with an egg and the last 2 slices of bacon. I had a free bagel from the grocery store that two of my kids split. And we did 2 leftover homemade waffles and a chunk of banana bread for the others and some assorted fruit.

Lunch is free at camp for 2 and I had a veggie/hummus sandwich and my oldest had a salad.

Dinner is free pizza for the kids with their reading club bookmarks and lentil chili with a friend who's coming over to cook with me.

#8 of 52 Old 07-05-2016, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I had typed up a post on Sunday but got logged out and lost it

I have lots of cauliflower and peas in the garden right now and red lentils in the pantry so Saturday I made Indian food - red lentil soup with cauliflower and grain free samosas with potato/cauliflower/pea filling. I also had a big pile of rhubarb from the farm stand the week before so I made a rhubarb chutney to have with the samosas and froze the rest. It was all delicious, though a bit time consuming! Breakfast and lunch were leftovers.

Sunday - eggs and hasbrowns for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, roasted tomato soup (from jarred pantry tomatoes), polenta fries and french bread for dinner

Monday 4th - eggs/toast for me, husband made french toast for the girls with leftover french bread, leftovers for lunch, dinner we grilled out hotdogs and a couple small leftover steaks from the freezer that my parents left after their visit in June (they stayed a week and left us their leftover food!) plus roasted potatoes and salad from the garden

Tuesday - egg/toast for breakfast for me and hubby - girls had cereal. Leftover steak on salad for husband and I for lunch. Little one is having PBhoney on an english muffin and apricots (I bought a 24# box of #2s a couple weeks ago so we are eating a ton of them), older DD is at a friend's house. Dinner will be chicken soft tacos with chipotle slaw (cabbage from the garden)

Minor grocery run Sunday for lemons, limes, avocados, salsa. I have several quarts of frozen beans in the freezer and those things will help me turn those into good meals. Debating about whether to allow myself to buy coffee when I run out.....I have plenty of green tea so I can have that, but....coffee!

I need to make some things my girls can snack on. We've been out of crackers for a week so they aren't having their usual go to cheese/crackers/fruit snack. Anyone have a good cracker recipe? I've got plenty of flour and other ingredients......

This afternoon I'm trying a sandwich bread recipe. I usually make a no knead boule, which is great and versatile but my girls don't like it for sandwiches. Hope it turns out! I may also make some muffins....I've got a variety of frozen fruit left from last summer that I need to use up.

Spending some time meal planning today.

#9 of 52 Old 07-05-2016, 04:01 PM

We've been doing fine the last couple of days. Last night we ate leftovers and tonight we're having spaghetti tacos. The only thing we had to be were the scallions. DS gets free produce from his camp so we just game home with zucchini, broccoli, lettuce and snow peas. I'm so excited about that!

Tomorrow I'll make lettuce wraps or we'l have some kabobs on the grill. I really need to dig into the freezer to see what's even in there. I scarcely know what could be lurking in there! EEK.

I'm glad I've joined you. Y'all are very helpful with your ideas and motivation!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#10 of 52 Old 07-05-2016, 06:30 PM

Can I ask how to make spaghetti tacos? 😁
Thanks!
#11 of 52 Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

having ice pops tonight

#12 of 52 Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylie2 View Post
Can I ask how to make spaghetti tacos? 😁
Thanks!
Sure! It's super easy. I just boil spaghetti, mix in sauce and sometimes cooked hamburger. Then I put the spaghetti in the taco shells and bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350. We take them out and top with cheddar cheese, scallions and sometimes a little salt. It's SUPER easy, cheap and DS loves them. Surprisingly, I like them too.

Tonight DS is going to his godparents for dinner so I'll make something easy for us at home like salad and tortillas.
Ragana likes this.

#13 of 52 Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralChrissy View Post
Sure! It's super easy. I just boil spaghetti, mix in sauce and sometimes cooked hamburger. Then I put the spaghetti in the taco shells and bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350. We take them out and top with cheddar cheese, scallions and sometimes a little salt. It's SUPER easy, cheap and DS loves them. Surprisingly, I like them too.

Tonight DS is going to his godparents for dinner so I'll make something easy for us at home like salad and tortillas.
That actually does sound yummy...we like to participate in the taco night theme here but my 8 year old isn't fond of traditional taco meat...too strong tasting I guess...she loves spagetti though! Great way to use leftovers the next night too...

Thanks 😊
#14 of 52 Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Tonight is a pork tenderloin from the freezer, mashed potato flakes, baked beans and left over fruit. frozen fruit pops for tonight.

#15 of 52 Old 07-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Tonight is a pork tenderloin from the freezer, mashed potato flakes, baked beans and left over fruit. frozen fruit pops for tonight.
I buy 2 large boxes of potato flakes a month...we eat a lot of them 😋

L is having gluten free chicken nuggets and tots...I am skipping food for now.
#16 of 52 Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday was eggs/toast or cereal for breakfast. Leftover chicken tacos for lunch. I intended to make cauliflower chowder for dinner (a new recipe) and I knew the girls wouldn't eat it, but even husband said NO WAY was he eating that lol. So I made bean tacos for everyone instead (I'm still going to make the chowder sometime because I think it has potential and I need to use up the cauli!!)

Today egg/toast for me and husband, cereal for littles. Lunch I took the girls to a cafe and let them get a 'snack' then I had leftover tomato soup for lunch. Dinner will be some vietnamese style rice noodle dish with veggies and chicken.

The bread I made turned out good! Haven't tried it for sandwiches for the girls yet though....it definitely isn't as soft as what we usually buy. I *really* want to get away from buying store bought bread products. I'd prefer we (they - I am gluten free) just not eat so much bready stuff in the first place but it has been hard to get away from that. Things we use regularly: english muffins, sandwich bread, french bread, tortillas, sometimes bagels, my gluten free boule (I get one every couple of weeks and slice it really thin and keep it in the freezer - but I want to try a homemade version!!).

#17 of 52 Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
Yesterday was eggs/toast or cereal for breakfast. Leftover chicken tacos for lunch. I intended to make cauliflower chowder for dinner (a new recipe) and I knew the girls wouldn't eat it, but even husband said NO WAY was he eating that lol. So I made bean tacos for everyone instead (I'm still going to make the chowder sometime because I think it has potential and I need to use up the cauli!!)

Today egg/toast for me and husband, cereal for littles. Lunch I took the girls to a cafe and let them get a 'snack' then I had leftover tomato soup for lunch. Dinner will be some vietnamese style rice noodle dish with veggies and chicken.

The bread I made turned out good! Haven't tried it for sandwiches for the girls yet though....it definitely isn't as soft as what we usually buy. I *really* want to get away from buying store bought bread products. I'd prefer we (they - I am gluten free) just not eat so much bready stuff in the first place but it has been hard to get away from that. Things we use regularly: english muffins, sandwich bread, french bread, tortillas, sometimes bagels, my gluten free boule (I get one every couple of weeks and slice it really thin and keep it in the freezer - but I want to try a homemade version!!).
I hope to eventually go to making my own breads too...gluten free is so $$$$...My local store used to sell it for 3.99 loaf...guess they caught on cause its 6.99$ now 😡 There is no way!!

We are still doing well cleaning out the freezer and pantry...hoping to make it to next Thursday which is payday...we may run out of meat before then but will just switch to eggs...they had them .69 a dozen so I bought 2!!
Today for breakfast we had waffles and some leftover ham slices...For lunch L had a cheese sandwich with chips and fruit cup...I skipped lunch...
For supper I made some Dirty rice with green and red peppers and corn tortillas...
Leftovers for lunch tomorrow!!
#18 of 52 Old 07-08-2016, 12:36 PM

I was feeling really grumpy about having to do this today. Last night we went out to see a free band and I made dinner at home first (shrimp rice wraps), so I feel like I shouldn't have to do this again today. I've done so well at this the past several days and feel really ready to SPLURGE! But, that's not going to get me to my goals. So, I dug deep in the back of the pantry and found a Seeds of Change package of Quinoa & Brown Rice. YUM! Tonight I'll make that and add in the veggies from the fridge (zucchini & broccoli). It will be good and now I'm much less grumpy.

#19 of 52 Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Today we have stayed on track just because I am still fighting a tummy bug and have stayed home 😜
So its a no drive,no spend totally eat out of the pantry day....

For breakfast I made her some eggs, hash browns and sausage...

For lunch she made herself a turkey and cheese sandwich, some baby carrots and potato chips...

For Supper I heated up the leftovers...she is having beefy rice, tortillas, mac and cheese and leftover chicken....

My tummy says popcicles only...
#20 of 52 Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 PM

made egg salad for tomorrow

had cracker sandwiches for dinner tonight

#21 of 52 Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Thank you for this thread - it got me thinking, since we have spent quite a bit on food already this month. I'll list the meals I can make out of my pantry/fridge/freezer so I have a record here and refer back to it:

* Frozen pizza (I stocked up at Costco at something like $10 for 4, so there is enough for 2-3 meals)
* Pasta & jar of sauce
* Pasta & pesto (Aldi's pesto - yum!)
* Red lentils (soup?)
* Black beans - tacos/burritos/rice bowls. I have the rice, too, and tortillas are less than $1 here.
* Chickpeas and a few stray potatoes - curry
* 2 blocks of tofu - rice & tofu or rice noodles & tofu
* Loaded ramen - with cabbage & tetrapak tofu I also have
* Korean pancakes (savory vegetable pancakes with dipping sauce - with stray vegetables)
* Regular pancake mix - I have a LOT of this, left by a neighbor, so breakfast for dinner should be on the menu

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#22 of 52 Old 07-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Going to join this challenge. I only have $60 in my checking account right now, and need every penny coming in for bills.

Meal ideas based on things in my fridge:
Salad
Stuffed peppers
Scrambled eggs with broccoli on the side
Breakfast casserole with eggs, roasted potatoes, veggies, and cheese
Spaghetti (I have an open jar of sauce I need to use up)

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#23 of 52 Old 07-15-2016, 05:03 AM

I've gotta step this up. My DS has a birthday soon and we need to save $ for his party gifts.

Here's some things I can make in the next few days:

Tacos
Breakfast for dinner
Spaghetti
Homemade pizzas
Stirfry?
Pasta with yellow pepper, steak and parma. cheese

Tonight I'm going with the pasta. I need to see what sort of dessert I can make for cheap too. My sweet tooth has been activated.

Good luck everyone!

#24 of 52 Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralChrissy View Post
I've gotta step this up. My DS has a birthday soon and we need to save $ for his party gifts.

Here's some things I can make in the next few days:

Tacos
Breakfast for dinner
Spaghetti
Homemade pizzas
Stirfry?
Pasta with yellow pepper, steak and parma. cheese

Tonight I'm going with the pasta. I need to see what sort of dessert I can make for cheap too. My sweet tooth has been activated.

Good luck everyone!
Same here!!!! My girl will be 9 soon ❤

Still pantry eating here!I did buy a bag of gf cereal for L last week...she was out and wanted it bad!
Meals are starting to get more creative and interesting though..last night I made pizza rolls with gluten free tortillas, leftover spaghetti sauce, ham and daiya mozzerella...they were so easy and good!!! L liked them so much they will be a lunchbox meal for school 😁
#25 of 52 Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 AM

I went to the grocery yesterday, got enough for almost 2 weeks, so next weeks trip should be produce and fill in only.
tonight is pork chops and sides. tomorrow will be salad with left overs. I got deli this week so sandwich for lunches as well.
Ive been doing fairly well when out with stops for snacks and soda.

Mylie- mini pizzas sound good!

#26 of 52 Old 07-17-2016, 07:18 PM

I just hard boiled 2 dozen eggs!!! I got them last week for .69 cents a dozen!

My L will not eat them any other way...she likes to eat two with a bowl of Gf Heritage Flakes cereal with dried strawberries mixed in...this is her latest breakfast passion...works for me too 😋

Tomorrow lunches will be leftover roast,potato, brussel sprouts and corn on cob...

Supper will probably be leftovers too!

I did buy some strawberry banana coconut yogurt today..L really loves this flavor and wanted some for her snack tomorrow ❤
#27 of 52 Old 07-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Did really well using up what was in the refrigerator, and then I took advantage of some good deals at the grocery. Chicken legs and thighs were $.88 a pound, so I bought 10 pounds and we are good on meat for quite some time. I also bought some veggies to stirfry and a bunch of top ramen for the noodles. I'm hoping I can use my large stash of food and avoid buying anything but milk and a few veggies for the rest of the month.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#28 of 52 Old 07-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Mylie, what brand of coconut yogurt does L like? I haven't found a good non-dairy yogurt I can tolerate. I'm dairy-free but for occasional yogurt(once a week??) and cheese maybe about the same frequency. The only animal products I eat are honey in minimal amts or eggs which I eat frequently(and I ONLY buy "happy" eggs because one of my girls refuses to eat "sad" eggs from the grocery store). But every coconut yogurt I buy I end up hating because there's a weird aftertaste or the consistency is FOUL. Soy yogurt is......iffy. But.....soy.

SO, exciting news. We are moving on 8/1 to a new house. We are super excited. But this means we are buying absolutely NOTHING but almond milk for the next week and a half until we move so we don't have to move a crazy amt of food. Pantry challenge STILL. We are getting a box of fresh stuff from a local food pantry on thursday so that will supplement us. But I'm pumped to use the rest of the stuff out of the freezer and get rid of stuff so we don't transport it. That's gonna give us some wacked out meals for sure but it'll save a bundle.

tonight was crockpot meatballs I pulled from the freezer on rolls from the freezer. A little caesar salad on the side. Homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I had leftover pizza with spinach and tomatoes.
tomorrow's breakfast is vegan biscuits with homemade strawberry rhubarb jam and the last of the fresh blueberries.
lunch is leftover taco meat for one kid, acorn squash for me, and free camp lunch for the other two.

#29 of 52 Old 07-19-2016, 06:37 PM

Its So Delicious...it isn't as thick as dairy yogurt but they have a good taste 😋 She is loving this new flavor Strawberry Banana...I can't keep it in the house! I bought 5 they other day and they are gone already! She is already begging for more but I had to tell her no...I just can't buy anymore groceries until the week after next...sigh...rent..

Did a no buy/spend today....For Supper I made French toast..Had some leftover so L can have for her breakfast!Tomorrow lunches will be peanut butter and strawberry jam for me and Strawberry jam and butter for L..she hates peanut butter 😵
#30 of 52 Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM

My breakfast was yogurt with granola and a banana, OJ
Lunch was a sandwich and crackers.
Kid slept thru breakfast and his lunch will be leftovers.
Dinner is pasta with tomato and mushroom sauce.
dessert is cupcakes with raspberry- need to finish these before they go bad. I also have cups of fruit and applesauce for dinner.

We *might* go see a movie as a treat this afternoon but I will be bringing snacks and drinks in my huge purse.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page