August spending (low/no spend) - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#1 of 39 Old 07-28-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
August spending (low/no spend)

I know this is a bit early but I need some gentle hand holding. August is always a huge spending month for me.
Even though DS is homeschool and now in college we are still doing HS activities and have expenses. College is covered this year with financial aid and scholarships but there are still 'costs'. Supplies and such for school. Thankfully its minimal (a new pencil case, some graph paper and folders as far as I can tell).

The big fees are going to be art club and circus classes. I dont want to say 'no' to either of these. He's done art club for the past 3-4 years and he is very good at art plus the lady who runs the classes is lovely and I like her program. Circus class is new but I'm all for everything that gets kiddo out and moving and social.

Add into this mess the fact its still boiling summer temps here and my AC bill is sky high for another 2 months at least. I have kiddo b'day the first week in september to plan for. He is going to be 16- omg someone sit with me for this.

I think August is expensive around here. Ugh.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
is on. I will hang out with you...
#3 of 39 Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I am here with you too...we can all hang and panic together....

August is high for me too...couple large semi annual bills will be due plus school startup....school clothes, supplies ECT...L's Birthday is also the first week of September..she will be 9...still thinking about things with that and how I will swing it...also budgeting in fall swim lessons...I wont take her in the winter because its 12 miles to the next town and the roads get to icy and nasty at night and I don't night drive..

Last 2 days have been crappy...I would love to just stay in my house for the next week and avoid human contact...I would probably be better off...

#4 of 39 Old 07-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Today, I ended up spending a boat load of $$. I thought that I paid a bill. I was SMACKED with a very very big late fee.

So now I'm already off to a bad start.
#5 of 39 Old 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM

I spent $$ at the Farmers Market this afternoon...I took it out of my rent envelope and feel guilty as hell but I just couldn't tell my L no...All she wanted was some darn peaches,cherries, cherry tomatoes and blueberries..oh well...rent was going to be late anyway...

The walk in the park was nice too ❤
#6 of 39 Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I found a Groupon!! for circus school. 6 session for $10 each instead of $25 each. Happy early b'day to J as he can start classes next week. Woohoo. he is very excited. I need to check groupon more often- i have the app on my phone and I always forget to use it.
And i got $20 for $10 for pizza tonight. Groupon again.

Kohls has 20% off this weekend and bonus points so I may do a bit of bday shopping for kid.
Nazsmum likes this.

#7 of 39 Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I found a Groupon!! for circus school. 6 session for $10 each instead of $25 each. Happy early b'day to J as he can start classes next week. Woohoo. he is very excited. I need to check groupon more often- i have the app on my phone and I always forget to use it.
And i got $20 for $10 for pizza tonight. Groupon again.

Kohls has 20% off this weekend and bonus points so I may do a bit of bday shopping for kid.
Awesome catch Zebra!!!!

What is circus school BTW? 🎪?
#8 of 39 Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Circus School:

For the newbie/apprehensive student who just isn’t sure if circus acrobatics is something for them. Feel free to try one class or several classes to get a taste of all the apparatuses that we have available: Trapeze, Silks, Lyra, Rope, Hammocks, Low Wire, Rolling Globe Walking, etc. This is a one hour drop-in class that requires 48-hour prior reservation.

Aerial Silks (also known as aerial fabric, aerial ribbons or tissu, depending on regional preference) is a type of performance in which one or more artists perform aerial acrobatics while hanging from a special fabric. Performers climb the suspended fabric without the use of safety lines, and rely only on their training and skill to ensure safety. They use the fabric to wrap, suspend, drop, spin and spiral their bodies into and out of various positions. Join this class to build strength and endurance using this dramatic apparatus!

#9 of 39 Old 07-30-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joining in here this month - I really need to keep the spending down in August. Spent WAY too much in July.

I need to figure out something for a September birthday too - my dd will be 10. Not sure what she wants yet.
#10 of 39 Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So happy this thread was started! I am all over this!!

After years (decades) of living paycheck to paycheck, my husband and I are finally at a place where we can pay off our debts, but it will mean continuing to live frugally. But at least now it feels so much more positive, to be paying debts off, rather than struggling to pay interest charges ... YKWIM?!!

I'm also going to do a pantry challenge this month, to keep groceries as low as possible.

Wheeeeee! Here we go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAHM, married to my bestest friend (09/96), Mama to my sweet adventure boy
(06/08), and dynamic duo,
and
(10/11)

for Birth Stories, Circles and Newborn News!
#11 of 39 Old 07-30-2016, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm in! We have DS birthday this month, my mama's coming to visit, we're going home for our family reunion and we're taking our annual camping trip, plus our dishwasher just stopped working. SO, with all these expenses, I've got to get control of the spending where I can. We don't have any big plans for the coming week except for movie night tomorrow. Otherwise we should be able to focus in and save $$, except for what we've already planned for. Thanks for the thread!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#12 of 39 Old 07-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm in! No A/C here thankfully, but a kid birthday and back to school shopping, plus some medical appointments for DD are going to hit my wallet hard.

I need to find a way to get a little extra income.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#13 of 39 Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
I'd love to join! August is awful. We have county fair all next week, then camping, then one week home and a ton of clothes shopping for the girls, then camping, then..

Oh never mind. It's a lost cause.

See you in September!

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#14 of 39 Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Day one- counting this as a success. $2 for a soda and snack while out.

Tomorrow I need to finish errands which include Target to get Rx. I promised kid we would use up an old gift card to Chipolte so lunch has about a $10 credit towards it.

Wednesday evening is his first circus class and he is soooo excited. I had to get him some yoga pants/running tights and a long sleeve t-shirt (to avoid fabric/rope burns). other than those no supplies needed!

Thursday we should be home all day

Friday is an appointment and $200 payment due. ugh

Saturday is groceries

Sunday home all day.

#15 of 39 Old 08-02-2016, 03:41 AM

8/1 Did well.
#16 of 39 Old 08-02-2016, 03:48 AM

Day 1 - $0 spent!

and
(10/11)

#17 of 39 Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM

Listing only out of pocket stuff - I don't count stuff paid with SNAP or gift cards.

August 1st - Walmart $2.43 {used a $25 GC for most of it}. Goodwill $4.30 {item to flip for profit}. Bus $2.75
#18 of 39 Old 08-02-2016, 03:22 PM

0$ spent(can't spend what you don't have 😁)

For meals today...

Breakfast...
Oatmeal and yogurt

Lunch....Leftover pork cutlett and cheesy rice..

Supper...Hamburgers..

I am slowly cleaning out the cabinets...very thankful for my instant rice and instant potatoes...
#19 of 39 Old 08-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Listing only out of pocket stuff - I don't count stuff paid with SNAP or gift cards.

August 1st - Walmart $2.43 {used a $25 GC for most of it}. Goodwill $4.30 {item to flip for profit}. Bus $2.75
August 2nd - $0 {stayed home despite the heat}
#20 of 39 Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 AM

8/1 Did well.
8/2 Spent $$ - friend canceled lunch (me & kids) at the last minute. Need to feed the kids...long drive home.
#21 of 39 Old 08-03-2016, 03:49 PM

8/3 0$ spent

Breakfast... L had waffles and sausage links...I skipped breakfast..

Lunch...L had Chicken and Rice,bread and butter and fruit..
I had a sandwich...

Supper...I made one of my easy peasy 20 minute or less meals involving 1/2 lb hamburger, 3 bags of jasmine boil in bag rice and jar of spaghetti sauce...I guess we can call it beefy rice...its good though...L ate 2 plates and its cheap to make 😋
#22 of 39 Old 08-03-2016, 04:58 PM

8/1 Did well.
8/2 Spent $$ - friend canceled lunch (me & kids) at the last minute. Need to feed the kids...long drive home.
8/3 car trouble We shall see what the bill is...
#23 of 39 Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Day 2 - $0 spent

Day 3 - $5 medical copay

and
(10/11)

#24 of 39 Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Kid had the first circus class tonight and he was sooo happy. I got a groupon for dinner (which covered the cost of sodas and tip) and we had yummy mexican and enough left overs for lunch tomorrow, including the extra free chips and salsa . Kid can not wait for the next circus lesson. I am going to have to find a way to fit this into the budget as a regular expense.

#25 of 39 Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 AM

Day 3- $0
Day 4 - $0 AND I finally shipped out some stuff for Amazon Trade-in, which will be put towards a new phone for me.
#26 of 39 Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh amazon trade- I sent back a textbook last week. I should be getting around $25 credit, which is fairly close to what I paid for the book.

8/4 is looking to be a no drive/no spend day. I'm not feeling well mentally and I want to stay home in my jammies all day. Seriously I took a shower this morning and put in clean jammies for the day. I have a stack of movies from the library and some new yarn (along with a youtube video for a shawl pattern). So my couch and I have plans for the day.

Tomorrow I have an appointment and I should make a payment but I am able to hold off until next week. i will need to get gas for the car either friday or saturday and then there are groceries. Hoping i can wait until sunday when foodstamps hit the card.
frugalmama1 likes this.

#27 of 39 Old 08-05-2016, 04:37 AM

8/4 - $22 filling DH's car with gas. Filled up at Costco and saved nearly 35c per gallon compared to other stations in our area though! Win!

and
(10/11)

#28 of 39 Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 AM

8/5 - a bit of a spendy day.

Spent $27 on u-pick peaches (for eating, canning and freezing), a Popsicle for each kid and a soda for me at our csa farm.

Spent $60 on a haircut for me. It always feels like so much to spend on hair, but I have really difficult hair to cut, and I've learned the hard way that it pays to spend more for a better stylist. (Although my last stylist charged over $100, so this is definitely better! And my last haircut was 18 months ago so I was looooooong due )

and
(10/11)

#29 of 39 Old 08-07-2016, 04:27 AM

8/06 - grocery shopping yesterday!
Aldi ~ $36. Mostly fresh produce and dairy items.
Costco ~ $36. I have a lactation cookie business, so this was mostly baking supplies.

I made our menu plan for the week ahead around freezer and pantry items, so the $36 for groceries for the five of us felt pretty good!

and
(10/11)

#30 of 39 Old 08-07-2016, 08:43 AM

Day 5 - $0
Day 6 - Spend day. $2.75 for bus. $3.22 at Walmart {rebate item}.
Day 7 - $0

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page