I'll be debt free by the end of the week.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, not totally. I'll still have a mortgage. But THAT'S IT! We re-financed and got money back to pay off our truck, our car, my student loan and our property taxes for the year. I put the checks in the mail on Saturday. I feel GREAT! We went with a 15 year mortgage and are still saving $150 per month. Although, I'll not be able to afford a car payment for the next 15 years but that's ok I guess. I told DH I better start socking away that extra $150/month for my next used car. Thanks for letting me share my excitement.
#2 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 07:33 PM

that must be a great feeling!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 08:21 PM

that's wonderful! congrats!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#4 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 09:01 PM

WooHoo! How exciting, there are a whole group of us here aspiring to this, maybe you could come inspire us all on the "getting out of debt" thread.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#5 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 09:17 PM

Bravo!
#6 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 09:37 PM

Robin,

Woohoo! Way to go, mama! I am hoping to be debt-free, except for a mortgage, in a couple of years!

Thanks for sharing!
#7 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 PM

WOW! Congrats--we are almost there too. I figure 3 more years of tax returns, lol. Not really that bad. Sounds so wonderful for you huh? What joy you must feel

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#8 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 11:38 PM

Congrats!

#9 of 10 Old 06-16-2004, 09:34 AM

Umm, not to sound too harsh, but you didn't exactly pay off your debt... Now you've got all your debt moved to your house, which you could lose if you can't make payments. You've also lost any deferment/forbearance benefits you had with your student loans. Many people who refi to pay off debt never change the habits that got them into debt in the first place (although it sounds like you don't have cc debt which is a very good thing). You've got to be extra vigilant now not to rack up any more debt...

That said...congrats on the shorter mortgage (I assume your previous one was for 30 years) and lower payments! Don't forget to build up a cushion of at least 6 months worth of expenses in case of emergency to prevent future debt...
#10 of 10 Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 AM

wow, that's great

i heard a 'tip' last night, instead of paying X amount each month on ur mortgage, send 1 payment every two weeks (on payday) and you'll cut 6-10 years off ur mortgage.(that's the # the financial advisor gave)

ex. u pay $1000 a month for 12 months = $12000

but if u pay $500 every 2 weeks (and there are 52 weeks in a year) you'll pay off $13000

since ur still paying $1000 a month just splitting it in 2 u wont 'feel' that extra 1000 dollars

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page