• 1 Post By philomom
  • 1 Post By happy-mama
  • 1 Post By SpiralChrissy

#1 of 26 Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
August Frugal Victories

Well, this isn't quite like the no-spend challenge because you don't have to post about every day, but at least come and lurk.

When you do post, share everything you did on a given day that's helped you save money . . .and glean inspiration from others.

These little things add up. If you want, you could even jot down an estimate of how much money you saved from your frugal victory, but I don't know if I'll feel that ambitious.

Here are some examples of frugal victories: Washing laundry in cold water, hanging clothes on the line, making a latte at home instead of getting it at Starsucks, staying home for the day (no gas, no spendy temptations), Craigslisting for a piece of furniture that you were going to get second-hand, etc. And yes, cooking dinner absolutely counts, especially if you're weaning yourself from restaurant convenience!

I know, I know. It's still July. But I'll get an August thread going early. If this thread gains enough traction, we can go again in September.

So today . . .

7/28: Made raspberry and orange-yogurt popsicles, created meal plan and grocery list for the week, made crockpot soup and cucumber-mint salad from CSA veggies, stayed home, made all-purpose vinegar cleaner, (with lots of peppermint EO to cover the awful smell!)

Anyone else in?

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm in! Thanks for the thread. August is an expensive month for us so it will be good to focus in on ways we can save. I've stayed home yesterday and today with a fever. It's not fun, but it's saving money. I'll post some happier savings later once I'm well.

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#3 of 26 Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hope you feel better soon, SpiralChrissy!

I'm in too! It's a spendy month here as well. My daughter is turning 3, and I've got to handle all the school shopping. Thank goodness for garage sales and Once Upon a Child.

I'm hoping to have my own garage sale this month. Ex-hubby and I have a couple of pieces of furniture neither of us wants that would sell for a decent amount and help pay off debt. And then I would have more room!

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)

#4 of 26 Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely in! I could use the support and inspiration for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAHM, married to my bestest friend (09/96), Mama to my sweet adventure boy
(06/08), and dynamic duo,
and
(10/11)

for Birth Stories, Circles and Newborn News!
#5 of 26 Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

We're coming up with cheap entertainment, an easy feat during the summer with parks and libraries. The goal is to visit as many local parks as possible and mark them off on a map. Picnic lunches and plenty of water are a must. Yesterday was a library day, though.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

#6 of 26 Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
I picked up a number of DVD's on hold at the library. I was going to take kiddo to the movies this week (we have $5 before 5pm at a certain theater in the city) but I think dvd's this week!
Turquesa and katelove like this.

Mom to J and never ending 

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#7 of 26 Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm swimming in peaches, so today was a canning day: 5.5 pints peach jam and 5 pints peach butter.

Fortunately, the weather was perfect for the job, not too hot, and I had dinner in the slow cooker before I even began.

#8 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
dropping in

My family was always looking to save money so it comes second nature to me LOL.

Looked in Value Village for books and decided it was too expensive ($5 each book), but as I was biking around town I found some free books that were similar. Yay for free books.

I made dinner last night, and have been managing to reign in some of my over-shopping habits, eating food entirely before buying more. (I somewhat resemble the alzheimers ad people who buy multiple cartons of milk absentmindedly).

I haven't had my hair cut in a year, sometimes I do it myself. My son needs a hair cut though.

We had a glut of raspberries out of the garden this year, now I'm getting a few cucumbers. Still waiting for the tomatoes. My zinnias and celosia are doing well, so less urge to buy flowers, still waiting on the dahlias.

I saved a huge canvas out of the garbage this summer, and the painting is turning out well. I also saved a block of water colour paper. Oh and a vase, some shot glasses, a few movies and a melamine topped table (my son brought home a CD from the curb just for me god bless him). The amount of junk that gets thrown out here is mind boggling.
Turquesa likes this.
#9 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
My DD was given some hand-me-downs. Yay!
One dress needed its buttons replaced but I had nothing the right size or color. Yesterday I was gifted a small tin of buttons- the size I needed was within that tin :-)
#10 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM

We had some frugal victories this week because DS was invited to go do things with friends for FREE. He went to the fair yesterday and the pool today. I sent a few bucks for snacks but that's all! I also ate at home tonight even though DH and I could have had a date. My mama's coming tomorrow so it will be a cheap week. And we decided not to go to the family reunion out of town. That saves us the cost of a hotel and allows me to put my feet up for once! Hurray!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#11 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Made peanut butter banana muffins for tmorrow's breakfast with bananas I froze when they became too ripe.

Hung two loads of laundry on the clothesline today(we dn't have a working dryer).
Turquesa likes this.

#12 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've been washing all laundry in cold water. Instead of buying fabric softener sheets, I use baby washcloths that I bought years ago at Babies 'R Us. I soak them in vinegar mixed with a favorite essential oil. Some blogger recommended this, and it's working well. We unfortunately don't have access to a clothesline.

We picked some wild blackberries today, and I brought them home and juiced them. I have until tomorrow to decide what to do with them.

My friend gifted me with apples from her tree. Applesauce preparation awaits.

Dinner was French toast with more peaches. We had peach ice cream as an afternoon snack. My kids are going to start hating me . . . or at least hating peaches.

We did eat out. I need to get on the ball and have snacks with me at all times to combat those post-soccer-practice munchies.

Last edited by Turquesa; 08-03-2016 at 10:41 PM.
#13 of 26 Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Made peanut butter banana muffins for tmorrow's breakfast with bananas I froze when they became too ripe.
I really need to do this. I always *convince* myself that I'll make banana bread, and then they go black.

#14 of 26 Old 08-05-2016, 04:42 AM

I returned all our library books BEFORE they were due, so no fines! We homeschool and typically have a lot of library books out at any given time; even a day or two late with over 50 books adds up really fast. So this was a major win for me.
Plus, I filled DH's car up with gas at Costco, saving nearly 35c a gallon compared to other gas stations in my area. Score!

and
(10/11)

#15 of 26 Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
@happy-mama - yay for you! Thats a hard one for me as well - getting the books back before the due dates.
Last evening I went to the laundromat- got a free load- thus saved $2.75. Every little bit helps.
#16 of 26 Old 08-05-2016, 12:02 PM

@happymama , that's great! I can't tell you how many times we've paid fines just because we were slow getting to the library!

We had 2 victories today. I borrowed a book from the library that I needed for my book club. That saved me $15. Then we borrowed a socket wrench from a friend instead of buying on. That probably saved $30! Hurray!

#17 of 26 Old 08-06-2016, 05:23 AM

Just spent ten minutes making up two loaves of banana bread with all the over-ripe bananas left from the week.
I'll put one loaf in the freezer and use the other for snacks for the kids. Banana bread plus Nutella = yum!!

and
(10/11)

#18 of 26 Old 08-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I really need to do this. I always *convince* myself that I'll make banana bread, and then they go black.

They are definitely okay when they are black. Take off the peels and drop them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for when you have a moment. Whenever you decide you are ready, drop the frozen bananas into a bowl to thaw and make your bread. ***Protip: most recipes call for 2 bananas. Store them in baggies that way or you'll be kicking yourself because they freeze into a giant un-cut-able log and when they thaw completely they are mush.***

-Got another two loads of laundry washed and hung on the line and dried today.
-Went to a free yoga class in the city like I do every Saturday. It's outside on the dock on the river and it's awesome.
-Put out some cut fruits and veggies that needed to be eaten before they went bad and just walked away. My kids munched happily while playing outside. I call that a double score.
-Avoided buying a clarifying shampoo like the hair salon place told me to and used baking soda to scrub build-up off my hair. Pretty proud of myself.
-my boyfriend was moving a few weeks ago and getting rid of this cool little hydroponic garden set-up. I took it and I have the seed baskets on order to grow some lettuce and herbs. Should be a fun science project for the kids and a small amt of produce for cheap. Even though we are spending a few bucks on seed baskets, I am pretty happy with our frugality there.
Turquesa likes this.

#19 of 26 Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I just pitch them in the freezer until I'm ready to bake.
Turquesa likes this.
#20 of 26 Old 08-07-2016, 04:34 AM

A really basic frugal victory! - but I sat down and made a menu plan for the week ahead based on items we have in the freezer and pantry. Then I made a shopping list, and STUCK TO IT!
Spent $36 at Aldi, mostly on fresh produce and dairy items. Not bad for a family of five

Turquesa likes this.

and
(10/11)

#21 of 26 Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

More basic frugal victories: Cooked a crockpot dinner, baked a cake with some garden-grown zucchini, and STAYED HOME. Going out costs money in gas, whatever you're buying plus the impulse buys, and the outbursts of "I'm hungry!"

#22 of 26 Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I managed to sell some old pokemon cards that x-h and I had when we were kids, so I have a little extra money right now. Probably going to put it toward debt, which feels like a financial victory (plus I have a little more room!).

I'm slowly working through the chest freezer stash and eating at home a lot. The kids don't seem to mind.

I've got to get fall clothes for the kids, but I figure I can get them at a consignment shop.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#23 of 26 Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Put out a lot of laundry today (on the line), looks like a beautiful monochromatic abstract painting, it's very hot here. Tomatoes are ripening up, made a luscious bruschetta with homegrown tomato and basil for dinner the other night. Found some old (yummy) xmas cookies in the freezer I was clearing out LOL!! May net some more free plants for my gardening clients due to garden overhauls, a win win. May try to take my son to a PWYC theatre production.
#24 of 26 Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 AM

I have a couple. Yesterday we had a b'day party for our DS. He decided he wanted to make his own pizza rolls rather than getting pizza for dinner. We bought a couple of other appetizers from the store and spent only $10 on food for the party all together. That saved us at least $20 on food!

I also returned a library book on time and we stayed home this weekend rather than running around spending $.
Turquesa likes this.

#25 of 26 Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Most of my frugal victories are revolving around food because it's harvest season. I've been canning peaches, cooking a lot, plucking fresh vegetables out of my garden, and eating. I also made another batch of homemade coffee creamer yesterday.

#26 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Several victories already today.

-took in a laundry off the line this morning and I've got one washing to put out right now.
-got up and hit the $8 at 8am yoga class instead of sleeping in and hitting up my local studio later for $10.
-made homemade body wash last night for my boyfriend and I and all of our kids. A citrus-y blend.
-avoided buying breakfast out before yoga and came home to make it there saving myself a few bucks.
-just got out the pumpkin puree from the freezer that I made last year from free pumpkins to make breakfast cookies. It's the last of it unfortunately but we'll enjoy our free pumpkin puree for sure.
-took homemade bone broth out of the freezer to cook rice and beans in tonight for dinner.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page