2017 no buy ?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

157Likes

#31 of 542 Old 01-04-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Today kid went to campus to check on a job, then I let him drive. I got a coffee while he was talking to people on campus. Then I went for a much needed pedicure. (I live in the desert and proper foot care is a 'need', not so much a want'). I will drastically cut back on the frequency of these and look for coupons/groupons etc this year. The healthy thing is to keep a frequency at a minimum of every 3 weeks.

We are having the last of leftovers for dinner.

1/5/17 is a planned stay home day.
I am planning some meals for tomorrow. I plan on cooking 3 meals that will provide leftovers for a couple days.

1/6/17 I have a therapy appointment (I will pay on monday), I need to stop at target for rx (minimal cost), go to the library- near therapy, and check the po box, on the way to target and thearpy. I'm trying to combine as many trips as possible this year as well. To save gas costs and wear/tear on the car.

mamapigeon- let go of the mommy guilt. Instead of getting takeout or stopping for dinner- how about making cookies with the kids at home or making a craft at home? Reading a book? Special movie?

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 542 Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Better day here. It was really cold, but we ate at home and had fun playing together. I agree, I shouldn't have let guilt lead me to buying dinner out yesterday. I will be careful to avoid spending for emotional reasons in the future. I'm looking forward to getting to a good place financially and don't want to make it harder!
Nazsmum likes this.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#33 of 542 Old 01-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Birthdays are coming up

I didn't really think about what I would do beforehand. Time to get creative to avoid over spending. Years ago, I made a cookie decorating "kit" as a present. I baked cookies and made frosting and added sprinkles in a little jar with repurposed packaging to make it look branded. I also did this with a "mad science" kit to make playdoh. I stopped being creative but I think I could resurrect these ideas on new children.

Any ideas out there readers?

(1/4 and 1/5 have been no spend)

#34 of 542 Old 01-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Day 5 - $2 Large tea
#35 of 542 Old 01-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffmommy View Post
I didn't really think about what I would do beforehand. Time to get creative to avoid over spending. Years ago, I made a cookie decorating "kit" as a present. I baked cookies and made frosting and added sprinkles in a little jar with repurposed packaging to make it look branded. I also did this with a "mad science" kit to make playdoh. I stopped being creative but I think I could resurrect these ideas on new children.

I think that is a good idea.
#36 of 542 Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffmommy View Post

I think this depends on 'who' you plan on giving gifts to. I have pretty much cut out gifts to adults. *IF* I give something, I make a shawl or scarf from my deep stash of yarn these days. Not cheap because I am a yarn snob, but I'm not buying anything in a sense.

For little kids I stock up on back to school sales- new markers, crayons, colored pencils etc are always a huge hit- add in a pack of paper and you are done for a few dollars. The dollar section at target is wonderful for things like kids bubble bath, chapstick, books etc.

For teens $10 gift cards to starbucks , itunes, amazon is about it. Unless they get a scarf/shawl.

#37 of 542 Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

1/5/17- so far today I haven't left the house and no spending. Tonight I think I need to head to the urgent care. I feel horrible, some type of combo sinus infection/ bronchitis is taking over and breathing is difficult, walking from the bathroom to the (2)results in significant coughing and gagging. Welcome to 2017 and thank heavens for medical coverage.
Kid is also sick but not as badly so hoping he can make it with out urgent care right now.

I ended up at urgent care tonight. I am so thankful for insurance (medicare from SSDI and secondary coverage from state aid). I have bronchitis AND a sinus infection. I am prone to this and actually am quite surprised this is my first time having it this season. I usually am sick from oct-april (and i live in a very warm climate). So the urgent care had no cost and I left with 4 rx being sent to CVS. Of course the cough medicines were not covered, the abx was fully covered and the steroid was like a buck. So I owed CVS like $27.00. Not bad IMO. I need to catch this and treat it quicky- otherwise I can get pneunomia and that is not good.

Total 1/5/2017 $27.00 medical and unplanned spending.

Last edited by zebra15; 01-05-2017 at 09:48 PM.
#38 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM

Day 6 - $20 spent on dinner. I did plan to be out late but not that late.

Today 1/7 is going to be a stay at home day. We are going to dinner with my family.
#39 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 06:03 AM

@zebra15 hope you are feeling better!!
#40 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Day 7 - we had a lot of unexpected snow. $0.00 spent & no family dinner
#41 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

1/7/17
Grocery store $91 in the budget
kid sick- bronchitis and sinus infection- $0.00 went to urgent care and got FOUR more rx. this time his was covered at the pharmacy. Do not mess with the vibes of insurance today.. take the meds and leave LOL.

I am feeling better but awful at the same time. My breathing is cr@p but the sinus issues are much better.

#42 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM

When are you tempted the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Day 7 - we had a lot of unexpected snow. $0.00 spent & no family dinner
Sorry you didn't get your family dinner. We're snowed in too.

I remembered that I had GS cookie credits, and went to the GS store to get bday presents. They have to be used at that store, and in a certain time frame because they expire, so it was a great solution.

Had to buy DD2 new glasses since hers got smashed and broken. Even with insurance it was an unexpected expense. $135

I don't know that I will report daily about my spent/not spent, but what I do want to account for is patterns in spending for myself.

I find it tempting to purchase the kids food while out and about. I love to thrift, so I am just not even going into the stores.

I grouped all our errands for one afternoon so I was able to avoid leisurely shopping because we had a time limit and lots of places to go.

So far so good.
#43 of 542 Old 01-07-2017, 10:22 PM

No Spend date night ideas

Beyond the obvious of stay in and have sex...

What are some no spend ideas for date nights? (freezing cold winter ideas are currently needed)

board games? strip board games?

My DH and I are back in the saddle with date nights and too often we both get too practical if we don't get out of the house. (Like, Happy Anniversary! Let's put in a new water heater! It was totally needed, and romantic in a way but KWIM?) I want to have some No Spend ideas up my sleeve.

Whatcha got ladies?
#44 of 542 Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 AM

I don't get date nights around here...But I like the idea.
#45 of 542 Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
I don't get date nights around here...But I like the idea.
It is a new thing for us now that the kids are a bit older...and we had family move into town so now we can swap for babysitting!

Stuck to my list at the grocery store. No unplanned extras.
DH, DD1 and DS haircuts at home. I did pretty well this time. That's $$ saved.

Our next week begins extra classes, and sports, and extra time out of the house. Really going to try hard to plan, pack, and not just drive through for lunch or snacks!
#46 of 542 Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

A few dollars today at Marshals/Homegoods. DS needed another shirt for interviewing $10 for Ralph lauren buttondowns - you bet I'm gonna take that. And they had a kitchen item- silicon steam lids - which look to be helpful. So about $35 at the store but all very reasonable pricing and not overspending. The clothes can be worn all year long.

This week is art club fees for kid $150 and I need to pay my therapist. Ongoing cost there.
I will need to buy kid books for spring term this week as well. About $150, he may get a financial aid disbursement to cover, if not there will be an overage in a few weeks to repay this expense.

#47 of 542 Old 01-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Day 8 $0
Day 9 $0
Day 10 $2 Tea (yes, it was cold and I really needed the tea)
@sniffmommy for us my DH works sssooo many hours. It is crazy that we see each other at all. But once in a awhile we get to go out...If we do I don't mind spending a few $$. We went to a concert in NYC not to long ago. That was really fun. Concerts are my favorite thing in the world. But having kids that does not happen to much. Other then that we will go out and get ice cream or something simple. Just spending time together is so rare.
#48 of 542 Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 PM

ACK! I crumbled...

and succumbed to the "can we get Bahn Mi PUWEASE?"
There are just some things I can't make as well as our favorite places to eat. (Totally justification)
I even packed snacks and drinks for our morning at the homeschool co-op we go to!
*sigh $25
@Nazsmum Concerts! I hope you can save a little and make it to a concert with your hubs this year! Isn't a "no-spend" kind of about being able to spend where it is important and less on the impulse buy?

Looks like another night of getting iced in. Sure is helping with not spending money! haha.
#49 of 542 Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Day 11 - Today went well. $0.00 spent

If a concert that I really want to comes along I will spend the money. You never know when they will come around again.
#50 of 542 Old 01-12-2017, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I got invited for breakfast from our company and I went to a dinner concert with free food and an invitation. so no money spent today
#51 of 542 Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Day 12- Went well We did spend a few $. Went to a Homeschoolers fair/fea market. Nothing to bad.
#52 of 542 Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Day 13 - Friday the 13th & a full moon....$0.00 & blender fix
#53 of 542 Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you got the blender fixed!

Spending is at a minimum. I found several 'free' things at the grocery store this week. Coupons and the 'free item of the week' - free canned refried beans, 2 free granola bars, free bagged salad and a free bottle drink.

No big plans for the weekend. I need to relax and let my brain calm down.
Nazsmum likes this.

#54 of 542 Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Day 14- Well, a friend that passed away. I get together with some people that came for the funeral. We went out to a dinner. I ate light and spent little. But I did spend. And I feel really sad.
@zebra15 It is alway a great thing to get free stuff.
#55 of 542 Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

@Nazsmum so sorry to hear about your friend. Def loosen up on the spending for dinner and such things while people are in town.

I went to the grocery today- they were marking down lots of fresh produce and I needed nacho chips for the week, plus the last of the xmas foods were on clearance. Gluten Free cookies on clearance, that is something I really can't leave. $1/lb precut veggies, pico de gallo, celery stix, snack veggie trays etc. I stocked up for the week.

For the most part we are eating from the pantry and freezer. I am finding some buried expired items that are being tossed. I need a better rotation system.

#56 of 542 Old 01-16-2017, 03:18 PM

@zebra15 - I was sad more then anything about money. I could have paid for dinner for everyone and that would have been OK with me. So, no worried. Just sad.

Day 15- $0.00 B-day party and dinner with family. So no need to spend.
Day 16- $0.00 Just stayed home for the most part.
#57 of 542 Old 01-16-2017, 05:00 PM

@Nazsmum : sorry for your loss

@Timna welcome!

@zebra15 I've never come up with a system for rotating the food out of the freezer short of carrying an inventory sheet, and handling it like an accountant. And that idea is WAY TOO organized for me!

Cabin fever is real here! I cleaned my kitchen for 3 or 4 hours the other day to try to occupy myself. Hubby who is used to getting to the office everyday could not take it, and took the kids out for a movie and lunch. All in all, it was probably less $$ than he usually spends on his lunches all week.

I ended up making recycled crayons for a birthday present. It was a pacman theme so I made them in the shape of circles with a chocolate mold and glued googly eyes on the ones that were the right colors for the ghosts and pacman. Then I used paper and washi tape and made the game board and packaged it up. Took me 3 hours. kid took 4 seconds to open it, and throw it aside to open something else. sigh.

This weather makes me feel like I'm spooling...like when you wait for the page to load on the internet. I'm just waiting for our regular life to load. However, it has been like a forced detox. Can't get out to shop, and starting to not feel the need to spend money simply for entertainment.

Oh, and date night. Hubby suggested we use our passes to go see an IMAX movie, since we already have them. He's such a smart fellow!

Last edited by sniffmommy; 01-16-2017 at 05:07 PM.
#58 of 542 Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM

Day 17 - Did OK. I did have a very bad day and did get dinner out. Tomorrow things will get back to normal. I am not counting this in the no spend. It was just a day.
#59 of 542 Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

1/18/17-
Took kid to lunch yesterday and Target. His last day of official 'winter break' from school. Chilis $10 lunch each with water so that wasn't too bad. A few things from Target, nothing extravagant. Plus an AmazonNow order. GF flour was $1 for bobs redmill. You can bet I ordered a bunch of those for delivery plus a couple other things.

Today starts a full day of campus for kid. He isnt' sure if he is scheduled to work in the tutoring lab or not so he is on campus from 9am-7pm. I am going to yarn club $3 for a soda and I have plans to work on next weeks assignments for my own class.

#60 of 542 Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Day 18 - Computer was acting crazy. $0 spent.
Day 19 - fixed computer and doing well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page